What's new

Do you Regret Buying Premium Edition/Kombat Pack? Do You Think That People will Still Care by the Time Final 2 Characters are Released?

JSF

Waiting for Injustice 3
What stuns me is that some of the people in this thread criticizing NRS for releasing a character every 2 months are the same people who criticized NRS in the thread about crunch time and overworking their employees. That’s major hypocrisy, and I’m not sure they even realize it.
this is assuming that them being slow is directly related to that. its a triple A title from Warner Bros there is no way they dont have resources.

Also i would be disappointed but i technically got the kombat pack for free so luckily i never have to give them another dime

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
this is assuming that them being slow is directly related to that. its a triple A title from Warner Bros there is no way they dont have resources.

Also i would be disappointed but i technically got the kombat pack for free so luckily i never have to give them another dime
because you can schedule things right, without crunching your collaborators to death .... with enough persons hired, you can have a good , competent and smart team behind the development, that are able to deliver the task "on time" .... spend a bit more money to have a quality team with sufficient persons , and that's it .... you have to spend money and planning previous good before doing great projects with 100% fine nice results, this is a good call. Even more with a franchise with a huge fanbase, so, you will have your big profit guaranteed, no worries about it ! :p

but the so called masters of capitalism, prefer to underpay people and overwork them, in order to reach their goals in the less time possible, in a cheap way lol .... and so, the consequences are unavoidable , and the impact come up quickly, as always, hehe :joker:

Gamer68

Fujin!
I don't regret it, as I'm happy to support NRS, but the fact that this is the worst launch of any NRS game can't be argued. The game has been out over 3 months now and we have one DLC character and haven't even seen gameplay of the others that we know about.

I'm more upset about this game being released essentially unfinished.

Furthermore, If Shang Tsung is any indication of how complete the DLC characters will be, I don't have much hope for the rest of them. Hey, here's Shang Tsung. He has one good (but boring) variation and another one that is useless that we threw together last second. We know people want Ninja morphs but we can't possibly give them those moves in competitive variations. Make sure they dominate the gameplay trailer, though!

I realize I'm just one person, but as a lifetime MK fanatic, I've never lost interest quicker in an MK title. Even Injustice 2, which I didn't love, kept me interested for a good deal of time.
It just doesn't feel like a true MK game to me. It's obvious that the devs were rushed and they didn't get to do everything they wanted to do.
  • Variations are worse than MKX.
  • Towers of Time is basically the same as the Multiverse from Injustice 2, and nothing really new and meaningful is presented.
  • No minigames like Test Your Might, despite said minigame being in the previous two MK games.
  • Brutalities were a fun mechanic in MKX that was ruined in this game because of the fact that they take too long to unlock.
  • The online space is confusing. You basically have Ranked (Kombat League), fake-Ranked (normal Ranked), Casual, then Super Casual (customs allowed).
  • Progression is a joke, especially if you prefer playing multiplayer.
  • Most of the skins in the game looked super rushed and shitty, yet you have to grind for them.
  • No important post-launch updates like hitbox fixes, better Krushing Blow requirements for Shao and Johnny, etc.
  • Characters feel shallow somehow, even though the game seems to be more competitively-focused in comparison to the past two MK titles.
  • It's cool they got Cary Tagawa to play Shang, but dropped the ball on his playstyle/variations like you said. Not a lot of hope for future characters.
  • Longer support = things take longer to come out, so far.
  • Microtransactions -- already shitty -- but, you can't actually buy what you want with said microtransactions because you have to wait for what you want to appear in some small shop pool, and it seems to only ever update with Frost, Skarlet, and Scorpion skins over and over again. So even shittier.
  • No communication from NRS because they feel the need to do some grand presentation every time they show something off. No roadmap, blog updates, or video updates like many other devs do. You HAVE to deal with silence that way they can build "anticipation", which actually just frustrates the player base because there's no fucking communcation going on on what to expect, whether or not they see our concerns, etc.
  • Worst launch in NRS history that killed the release hype, because of the insane grinding and difficulty of Towers of Time and Krypt. Had to do the first ever "emergency Kombat Kast" just to try to save face.
  • If that past 4 NRS games are anything to go by, they are probably already working on another game.
And I could keep going on if I really wanted to.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but I wouldn't really say that it's a good game either. It's just "meh" in it's current state. It feels lacking on a lot of fronts, and it hasn't held my attention well. I haven't played in weeks, though I am thinking of giving it another chance soon.

It's a shame, because I feel that the core combat is the best out of any NRS game. It feels like they finally got it right, for me anyway. But with shallow characters, hitbox problems, bad Krushing Blow requirements, annoying Fatal Blows, and all of the issues I named above along with some other things, it's just kinda hard to care about the game. I LOVE MK, I've been a mega fan since forever, but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend like I'm enjoying MK11 when I'm not.

The fact of the matter is that I'm having more fun playing other games, and that's that.

EDIT: Typos.

Last edited:

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
It just doesn't feel like a true MK game to me. It's obvious that the devs were rushed and they didn't get to do everything they wanted to do.
  • Towers of Time is basically the same as the Multiverse from Injustice 2, and nothing really new and meaningful is presented.
  • No minigames like Test Your Might, despite said minigame being in the previous two MK games.
  • Brutalities were a fun mechanic in MKX that was ruined in this game because of the fact that they take too long to unlock.
  • The online space is confusing. You basically have Ranked (Kombat League), fake-Ranked (normal Ranked), Casual, then Super Casual (customs allowed).
  • Most of the skins in the game looked super rushed and shitty, yet you have to grind for them.
  • No important post-launch updates like hitbox fixes, better Krushing Blow requirements for Shao and Johnny, etc.
  • Characters feel shallow somehow, even though the game seems to be more competitively-focused in comparison to the past two MK titles.
  • It's cool they got Cary Tagawa to play Shang, but dropped the ball on his playstyle/variations like you said. Not a lot of hope for future characters.
  • Microtransactions -- already shitting -- but, you can't actually buy what you want with said microtransactions because you have to wait for what you want to appear in some small shop pool, and it seems to only ever update with Frost, Skarlet, and Scorpion skins over and over again. So even shittier.
  • No communication from NRS because they feel the need to do some grand presentation every time they show something off. No roadmap, blog updates, or video updates like many other devs do. You HAVE to deal with silence that way they can build "anticipation", which actually just frustrates the player base because there's no fucking communcation going on on what to expect, whether or not they see our concerns, etc.
  • Worst launch in NRS history that killed the release hype, because of the insane grinding and difficulty of Towers of Time and Krypt. Had to do the first ever "emergency Kombat Kast" just to try to save face.
  • If that past 4 NRS games are anything to go by, they are probably already working on another game.

I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but I wouldn't really say that it's a good game either. It's just "meh" in it's current state. It feels lacking on a lot of fronts, and it hasn't held my attention well. I haven't played in weeks, though I am thinking of giving it another chance soon.

It's a shame, because I feel that the core combat is the best out of any NRS game. It feels like they finally got it right, for me anyway. But with shallow characters, hitbox problems, bad Krushing Blow requirements, annoying Fatal Blows, and all of the issues I named above along with some other things, it's just kinda hard to care about the game. I LOVE MK, I've been a mega fan since forever, but I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend like I'm enjoying MK11 when I'm not.

The fact of the matter is that I'm having more fun playing other games, and that's that.
I agree 100% with every single thing you've said here. So spot on.

I've gone back to focusing on Tekken 7 for now. I've always played MK alongside other fighters, but right now I have no desire to play it. I start the game up, check the horseshit in-game store, see nothing I want, go into practice, look at the roster, realize there's no one I actually want to play and just turn the game off.

I know people will deny this, but if the game is left in its current state without a MAJOR patch (new moves/variations/major balance changes), the game is going to be dead quicker than any previous NRS game.

I'm not looking forward to MK11 at EVO whatsoever (aside from potential reveals) because it's not like we will see anything new. The top 8 will have the same Erron/Sonya/Geras boring shit we've been watching since day 1.

thlityoursloat

kick kick

I've gone back to focusing on Tekken 7 for now. I've always played MK alongside other fighters, but right now I have no desire to play it. I start the game up, check the horseshit in-game store, see nothing I want, go into practice, look at the roster, realize there's no one I actually want to play and just turn the game off.

I know people will deny this, but if the game is left in its current state without a MAJOR patch (new moves/variations/major balance changes), the game is going to be dead quicker than any previous NRS game.

I'm not looking forward to MK11 at EVO whatsoever (aside from potential reveals) because it's not like we will see anything new. The top 8 will have the same Erron/Sonya/Geras boring shit we've been watching since day 1.
It's shocking how fast my interest for this game went down.
I did not buy 1 DLC character out of Injustice 2, not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't care and I only played Bane anyways, the game still held my interest for over a year, just playing mostly Bane.
This game.. I'm already tired of it, 3 months in, not even playing daily. Tired of the lack of variety, tired of the crappy severely watered down combos, tired of the ridiculous crushing blows and mind boggling balance, tired of how the game could get something as basic as a poke system so wrong, tired of the FATAL BLOWS.
I'm probably going back to I2, it had its flaws but at least it felt like a complete game, and most importantly, it didn't have a meta revolving around freaking cutscenes.

Gamer68

Fujin!

I do feel that NRS players tend to be "doomsday seekers" or whatever you want to call them, like the type of people who are always like "is this game going to die?" every two seconds.

But I also agree with what you said about this game dying even quicker than past NRS titles, because I really do get that impression. People already seem done with Towers of Time, there are mixed opinions about Kombat League, Shang Tsung was suppose to be a big deal but I don't really hear anything about him anymore, the fans were already impatient with how NRS did things before -- now with this slower release schedule I think players are just going to get even more impatient.

Even if it doesn't "die", I think the player base is going to continue to shrink and become very small if major changes aren't implemented quickly. I can see Spawn getting people excited and taking another look at the game, but if he's as shallow as the base game characters are right now, I think that all of that interest is going to go away quickly. And if NRS really is working on another fighting game, and it does come out within the next two years, I think that's going to make MK11's situation very bad (it WILL die).

I feel like if you look at pretty much another other FG, it looks more fun to play and watch in comparison to MK11. The whole #BringBackKI thing has been more exciting to see than anything happening with MK11 recently, and that's kinda fucked up considering MK11 is still fairly new while KI has been dead for a while. Tekken grand finals are always hype to watch. I don't know much about Samurai Shodown but I hear good things about it. Obviously Smash Bros. is still taking most of the attention at EVO. It just seems like MK11 doesn't have much going for it currently, but I hope that changes because I do want to like it.

Raider

Noob
  • Microtransactions -- already shitty -- but, you can't actually buy what you want with said microtransactions because you have to wait for what you want to appear in some small shop pool, and it seems to only ever update with Frost, Skarlet, and Scorpion skins over and over again. So even shittier.

It's shocking how fast my interest for this game went down.
I did not buy 1 DLC character out of Injustice 2, not because I didn't want to, but because I didn't care and I only played Bane anyways, the game still held my interest for over a year, just playing mostly Bane.
This game.. I'm already tired of it, 3 months in, not even playing daily. Tired of the lack of variety, tired of the crappy severely watered down combos, tired of the ridiculous crushing blows and mind boggling balance, tired of how the game could get something as basic as a poke system so wrong, tired of the FATAL BLOWS.
I'm probably going back to I2, it had its flaws but at least it felt like a complete game, and most importantly, it didn't have a meta revolving around freaking cutscenes.
I agree with almost everything that's said above.
Sadly i have exactly the same feelings about the game so far. It just... doesn't feel like a MK game to me. I am not getting that feeling that i am actually playing a MK game like i used to have with every MK game in the past. It's weird and hard to explain. I just miss that joy and excitement of playing a MK game. It feels more like a job or daily task. Sad but true.

thlityoursloat

kick kick
I2 was peak imo, fundamentally solid enough and it facilitated variety, it's such a shame they chose to abandon it instead of continue to refine it into something even better.

Gamer68

Fujin!
I agree with almost everything that's said above.
Sadly i have exactly the same feelings about the game so far. It just... doesn't feel like a MK game to me. I am not getting that feeling that i am actually playing a MK game like i used to have with every MK game in the past. It's weird and hard to explain. I just miss that joy and excitement of playing a MK game. It feels more like a job or daily task. Sad but true.
I just feel like everything in the game gets stale extremely quickly.

Even the outros are boring to watch.

There are only so many times I can see a character do some pose or throw something at the screen, and let out some echoing slow-motion yell.

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Why would I regret it? I would get the KP eventually anyways, and the guest characters are freaking amazing!

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
I don't really regret it at all. I would have pre ordered any Kombat Pack NRS released for any MK game. I've been a long time fan of the franchise since 93.

I don't think people will leave the game after last DLC drops at least any time soon. They usually leave when Injustice drops but when they don't have a new NRS game available it will still hold a good playerbase. I'm actually fine with casuals leaving, who needs em anyways, I like playing competitive players who have extensive experience and MU knowledge over players who just complain about everything till it gets changed the way they want it.

I don't like the level of transparency NRS has had so far, we basically learned 5% from Kombat Kasts and 95% from leaks and if not for leaks we wouldn't know Nightwolf was coming out on 8-13-2019.
I would rather have characters drop every month but I'll deal with it cuz ultimately I'll be excited when the patch comes out and characters become available. Gives me something to look forward to and something to explore when they slowly drop. It can be a good thing that characters are coming out so far apart because it gives us time to fully explore the characters before getting another and time to lab before majors and locals.

cavemold

BIG D POLE .
If they had done what injustice did with their release like full kombat trailer and every two months would people be happy ?

Gaxkang

Banned
I got the Pass on a coupon discount for like 13 bucks, so nah.

But the longer support stuff seems to just mean things taking longer, and NRS doing little promotion is pretty eh.

I still wonder why Injustice 2 got more DLC characters too.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Let's be serious here. Companies that encourage Pre-ordering unannounced DLC is a pretty scummy practice in and of itself. I don't care who the publisher is.

I did it for MK11 but didn't do it for INJ 2.

EDIT: to point out that it's the business model that I think is scummy.

Last edited:
There's going to be a patch, so making assumptions based on some alternate reality is a waste of time.

The real question is what the game will be like after the first major patch?

This game really needed an extra 3-6 months of development before being released
And people will still bitch about DLC taking too long or whatever else is the issue of the moment.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Its not hypocrisy and your point is silly. Me wanting a faster release interval doesnt mean i want people to work extra time or even inhumane hours.

NRS does not equal NRS employee so it is total legit to want a faster release schedule and still dont want inhumane work hours for NRS enployees.

As a consumer and paying customer its not my job to factor in company employee work times to access whats reasonable for me. Its NRS problem to have enough employees to deliver in a manner that satisfies their consumers. And if they overwork their employees cuz the consumers want stuff faster its THEIR fault for not having enough work force not the consumers for demanding faster delivery.

If they lower their greed they could easily do shit faster without having to overwork their people. Just hire more people from the get go.

In my line of work companies are the clients, do you think they give a f... about me or my coworkers if we cant meet a deadline and have to overwork ourselves? No they dont, they expect that you have enough work force to get the job done to their liking no matter what and if you dont the consequences are on you.

Companies like NRS definitely know better they just dont care cuz they can easily get away with it if up against people, one way or the other.

So stop defending companies shit behaviors, greed and excuses and also stop trying to make people feel bad for no reason. Its totally legitimate to want something like a monthly content schedule from a AAA company, especially considering they already collected 100bucks++ from everyone.
You realize that the extra work time is what creates the faster release schedule, right? Characters do not simply appear out of thin air. NRS is their employees. So giving people decent work weeks rather than pushing them to crunch for tons of overtime absolutely does mean that it might take more time between releases.

It’s actually you that’s legitimizing the corporate work farm by acting as if this connection doesn’t exist. If you reduce the man-hours per week then producing the same quality of content takes longer.

The same was evident in Fortnite, which was praised for their quick patching schedule, until it was revealed that the reason it was so fast is that they had their employees crunching literally nonstop since the game was released. Read the Kotaku article. Development is not magic, and there are real human lives being affected by every decision.

Last edited:

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Its only been a couple of months and the game is already dead, theres no hope with any installments

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings
You realize that the extra work time is what creates the faster release schedule, right? Characters do not simply appear out of thin air. NRS is their employees. So giving people decent work weeks rather than pushing them to crunch for tons of overtime absolutely does mean that it might take more time between releases.

It’s actually you that’s legitimizing the corporate work farm by acting as if this connection doesn’t exist. If you reduce the man-hours per week then producing the same quality of content takes longer.

The same was evident in Fortnite, which was praised for their quick patching schedule, until it was revealed that the reason it was so fast is that they had their employees crunching literally nonstop since the game was released. Read the Kotaku article. Development is not magic, and there are real human lives being affected by every decision.
yeah……….NRS could hire more people to manage the worktimes but that will bring less Money into their pockets

I get what you are saying but non of us said that NRS should give us a char per month with overworking their employees, if they can´t manage that with the staff they have they need to hire more People. Or life with the fact that People will buy less Season passes from them (and that will happen)

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
How is the game dead? When I go online I find a match in 30sec.
That´s far away from a dead game to me
If you look at the amount sold vs playerbase, its super small let alone our tournament status is a walking meme at this point.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
yeah……….NRS could hire more people to manage the worktimes but that will bring less Money into their pockets

I get what you are saying but non of us said that NRS should give us a char per month with overworking their employees, if they can´t manage that with the staff they have they need to hire more People. Or life with the fact that People will buy less Season passes from them (and that will happen)
Learn what The Mythical Man Month means and why it’s one of the most common myths among people who don’t understand development.

You don’t simply complete a development task faster by throwing more people onto it.

The only games that work well with gigantic teams are ones that have massive horizontal content scaling. Think something like RDR2, where you have a huge amount of stuff that you need to fill the game world out, that doesn’t take a high degree of focused skill to produce (trees, park benches, roads, signs etc). But this does not work for something focused like producing and testing Shang Tsung.

And devs that try to do this often have to lay tons of people off after games, which them creates a majorly unhealthy work atmosphere and leaves people cut from their jobs.. They don’t actually get to develop usable dev talent, and then the game doesn’t release any faster anyway.

Last edited:

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
If you look at the amount sold vs playerbase, its super small let alone our tournament status is a walking meme at this point.
It’s always small. 98% of gamers buy a fighting game, play through the singleplayer, maybe play their friends a bit, and try a bit of the online mode, get crushed and put it down for a while. They’re grinding skins and stuff, but a the people who are actually putting the work in on a daily basis online or competitively is always a tiny minority.

Afumba

Noob

Sorry man but you dont seem to get it. Ofc more hours are needed in order to deliver a good product faster but that doesnt mean you have to overwork your employees, its just a damn excuse. If you hire more employees from the start instead of purposely rely on crunch you wouldnt have to put your workers through that.

Companies plan ahead, they know how long things might take they just prefer to go with the bare minimum (or even less) + crunch/content delay cuz they can get away with it. A company like NRS/WB could easily hire more peoples, before starting or during a project, and still make a buttload of money. These additional employees would provide more work time/week without overworking people to the bones.

Sure they need to reduce their estimated profit calculations, so what? If they dont like that they could reduce top managment salaray by a bit and/or their bonuses. And there are other options to chose from as well in order to make it happen. Its just that overworking employees (calculated i might add) is easier and more profitable for them.

You can make all the game industry examples that you want it still wont make you right. You are totally missing the point. Video game companies, especially AAA ones, can easily afford to hire more personal for their projects. Its not a consumer mentality problem but a company mentality problem. Tired of repeating myself really, so here one last time, just for you... NO we are not responsible for how companies treat their employees. We are also not spoiled or stupid or anything for saying 2 months to release 1 DLC character is a long time because it is a damn long time. It can be done in half that, no overworking employees required etcetc unless you a) dont want to or b) you dont have enough employees; which is either cuz 1) you wanted it that way (possibly abusing crunch) or 2) your planing/calculations sucked. Its the companies fault period.

POPTDP

Noob

I also agree 100% with every point you made..

I consider myself a hardcore Mortal Kombat fan (played MK2/MK3 casually when I was young, became die hard fan with MK Deception).

I considered MK9 the best game because of not only the awesome hype when it was first shown at E3 but the fact that it lived up to the hype. Best roster, awesome gameplay, and amazing character costumes and designs.

MKX was good too, but imho the only thing it did better than MK9 was the combos/gameplay. I go back now sometimes and watch high-level players fighting it out and the combos leave me :O and it leaves even casual watchers :O

MK11 to me is just not as exciting or hype. The combos are meh and they catered TOO MUCH to esports and pro players that it lost its charm that made me like MK so much in the first place. I would never go back and watch a pro MK11 fight cause its just not exciting