What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Summoner Dink's Proposed Quan Chi Post-EVO changes

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
For Warlock I could maybe see a point being made for EX Scoop faster so that it can be used more effectively on wakeup or some other buff to make Warlock better, but no universal changes should be given to him. His offense and setplay are ridiculously strong in his other variations that giving them buffs as well would be nonsensical and would go against the point of variations.
I personally feel like TYM over reacts to any thread that suggests a slight buff to quan, even if it's minor things to prevent legitimately silly situations that only he finds himself in.

It blows my mind that I can say "Quan Chi alone gets hit by legit block infinites because of his lack of a fast enough normal to poke out on a read", and people say "doesn't matter, it's quan so he should stay the way he is."

All the offence in the world is meaningless when getting hit by one D4 means it's game over. I'm not downplaying Quan either, if I thought he couldn't take it to the top, I wouldn't have used only him at EVO.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
or maybe make his ex skydrop work properly ?

or make b3 2 safe on block

Last edited:

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Good for him, that's all the more reason to stop asking for buffs. Sorry didn't know I needed to place to call someone out on their bs... I'll check with you before posting next time ok?
He's saying that perhaps someone who is actually competing might actually know what he's talking about as opposed to a person who probably doesn't main or really understand the character or the game at a high level.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Please stop asking for changes to the game people... The last patch was a month ago, let the game breath a while.

Scoot Magee

I personally feel like TYM over reacts to any thread that suggests a slight buff to quan, even if it's minor things to prevent legitimately silly situations that only he finds himself in.

It blows my mind that I can say "Quan Chi alone gets hit by legit block infinites because of his lack of a fast enough normal to poke out on a read", and people say "doesn't matter, it's quan so he should stay the way he is."

All the offence in the world is meaningless when getting hit by one D4 means it's game over. I'm not downplaying Quan either, if I thought he couldn't take it to the top, I wouldn't have used only him at EVO.
But if he has the tools for you to take him to the top why does he need to be changed?

Scoot Magee

I don't think people are very familiar with the gaps in Quan's pressure. I rarely see the holes exposed in b32 and strings ending in bat or rune. His offense isn't crazy enough to justify having such limited options on defense, especially given how MKX doesn't reward you for blocking at all
This just reinforces the fact that a lot of people are still ignorant to whats in the game and it should be fully fleshed out before committing to changes.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Good for him, that's all the more reason to stop asking for buffs. Sorry didn't know I needed to place to call someone out on their bs... I'll check with you before posting next time ok?
If you were there you would have seen Dink's match against MIT's Tanya go down the exact same way as Ketchup's match against MIT. Yes MIT is a great player and a loss is a loss, but this isn't a 'level up breh' situation. Saying he needs to get on Ketchup's level was kneejerk and uninformed.

Check with me before posting? Not necessary, but you could try asking questions when you lack information, rather than making call outs about situations you are uninformed on.

Quan needs a faster d1 which will not guarantee a safe 50/50 on hit. Right now he can be blockinfinited by a lot of characters. Tanya and Louise Khung rape his EVERY variation with their block infinites. EVEN Warlock can not armor out. Kotal khan has a block infinite on him in the corner that @Qwark28 has made a thread about. Basically anyone who can put him in the situation where you can only get out with a 7 frame move. I would even say 8 frame move because his fastest 8frame move is a high (standing 2) and whiffs for the most part when you are trying to poke out.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Quan needs a faster d1 which will not guarantee a safe 50/50 on hit. Right now he can be blockinfinited by a lot of characters. Tanya and Louise Khung rape his EVERY variation with their block infinites. EVEN Warlock can not armor out. Kotal khan has a block infinite on him in the corner that @Qwark28 has made a thread about. Basically anyone who can put him in the situation where you can only get out with a 7 frame move. I would even say 8 frame move because his fastest 8frame move is a high (standing 2) and whiffs for the most part when you are trying to poke out.
Sorceror is the variation you will pick against Kotal, any other variation is meaningless. You don't need a buff because you have to use a variation which is not batman.

I personally think quan chi doesn't need this. Since his vortex and damage (basically offense) is very solid. I would like him to have poor defense. If he had better defense, I would think the character would be #1.

STB Shujinkydink

Burning down in flames for kicks
Sorceror is the variation you will pick against Kotal, any other variation is meaningless. You don't need a buff because you have to use a variation which is not batman.
I think summoner beats him pretty easily. But I haven't seen this block inf yet.

Anyway no ones listening to me and ketchup. Ppl have block infinites against this character which was surely not intended. If those characters are toned down then quan is fine as is. Otherwise he needs at least one defensive option. I don't think that's being unreasonable at all. Having to block is one thing but infinites are a different story

The Highlander

There can be only one
He's saying that perhaps someone who is actually competing might actually know what he's talking about as opposed to a person who probably doesn't main or really understand the character or the game at a high level.
Fair enough, you definitely know more about quan. I'm just saying that the reasons that you posted don't seem relevant enough, I mean no one out-zones quan chi, of course you lost to rushdown... Think about how well quan already does, it would take multiple death mu's to convince me that Quan needs buffs, but I am not the one you need to convince I guess.

If you were there you would have seen Dink's match against MIT's Tanya go down the exact same way as Ketchup's match against MIT. Yes MIT is a great player and a loss is a loss, but this isn't a 'level up breh' situation. Saying he needs to get on Ketchup's level was kneejerk and uninformed.

Check with me before posting? Not necessary, but you could try asking questions when you lack information, rather than making call outs about situations you are uninformed on.
How do you know for sure that this was a matter of characters picked? I think that MIT knows the match-up well and that neither ketchup nor dink do, so I do think it is a matter of leveling up. I didn't intend to come across as rude as I did though.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think summoner beats him pretty easily. But I haven't seen this block inf yet.

Anyway no ones listening to me and ketchup. Ppl have block infinites against this character which was surely not intended. If those characters are toned down then quan is fine as is. Otherwise he needs at least one defensive option. I don't think that's being unreasonable at all. Having to block is one thing but infinites are a different story
Summoner does not beat war god. Look at the kotal threads.

Wait, Sorcerer can't get out of that block infinite you wrote about, how is that his best variation against Kotal?!

Also, Dink, I think the universal change to a one bar of meter and the whole stamina for block breaker would help Quan out a lot. And it would be very reasonable without faster pokes or viable armor.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Well if he has a block infinite yeah he definitely doesn't lol outside that though it's pretty easy
Kotal's footsies and EX OSS are nothing short of top 3 in the game, his mobility is also very good in general when it comes to moving forward. He has a much easier time getting in and whiff punishing than 80% of the cast so it's inevitable that he will corner you.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Quan can d3 after 114 air grab into b1 (low profile). Kotal would need to f1. And without ex paddle be negative.
99% sure he doesn't have time, I remember testing it a while back. JC also has a 8F low profile d4 and eats an elbow in the face.

Nevertheless, F1B2 would work just fine.