What's new

Guide - Demolition Demolition Sonya Combo list with gifs + Negative Edge video guide

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
With a normal BnB, she launches you and has to knock you down for a safe reload, so she doesn't have time to oki. Now with a midscreen reload, she knocks you down with two grenades and has more than enough time to run in and start something. And they have insane corner carry, sometimes you can take the opponent all the way to the corner ending with a splat knockdown + grenade oki.

I only do midscreen reloads off B332 and nothing else. B1 and 121 starters aren't worth doing because they're way harder IMO. If you notice, whenever Scar tries to reload off B1 or 121 one of two things happen: He drops it completely, or the far stun grenade detonates too fast and he can't follow up with anything. :p

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
Someone please discuss the mid screen negative egde combo demos have been doing recently? To me it seems like a HUGE resource and damage waste - I can't wrap my head around it at all?! It does 35%, while my BNB does 38%. You are left with 1(!) Grenade if you use 1 for oki (WTF GUYS?!) while I still have 3 after my combo.

Can someone justify it? I don't get it at all... Is it just because scar does it?
Can you tell me what combo is it? Couldn't find it with the other combos you have at the beginning of this thread

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Can you tell me what combo is it? Couldn't find it with the other combos you have at the beginning of this thread
B332 xx close nade 1, mid nade hold 1, F2 dd release 1, run F2 xx nade, dash/run 2134. That 2 nade reload combo that Scar does all the time.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
B332 xx close nade 1, mid nade hold 1, F2 dd release 1, run F2 xx nade, dash/run 2134. That 2 nade reload combo that Scar does all the time.
Sometimes I can't connect the last F2 into Grenade so I'll just do 21, grenade, 2134. Gives same damage.

evolution07

u

What you do after the reload doesn't matter as long as you get the reload at least. :p

But do you run before doing F2?
I believe so, don't remember honestly as its been a while since I've practiced demo reloads. I know I run when I do the 21 so it's likely I do lol. I'll test it tonight.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
With a normal BnB, she launches you and has to knock you down for a safe reload, so she doesn't have time to oki. Now with a midscreen reload, she knocks you down with two grenades and has more than enough time to run in and start something. And they have insane corner carry, sometimes you can take the opponent all the way to the corner ending with a splat knockdown + grenade oki.

I only do midscreen reloads off B332 and nothing else. B1 and 121 starters aren't worth doing because they're way harder IMO. If you notice, whenever Scar tries to reload off B1 or 121 one of two things happen: He drops it completely, or the far stun grenade detonates too fast and he can't follow up with anything. :p
Scenario: you go for oki and waste another nade - leaving you with a total of 1 grenade - the opponent block the oki.
Result? You wasted all your resources AND damage.

Idk, I will never get that combo... So dumb to me

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Scenario: you go for oki and waste another nade - leaving you with a total of 1 grenade - the opponent block the oki.
Result? You wasted all your resources AND damage.

Idk, I will never get that combo... So dumb to me
Maybe it's just me, but when I play Demo, my priority is always the oki and space control. I'd rather knock you down and be on you.

If you ask the best Sonya player out there aka Scar why he does midscreen reload combos, he's gonna tell you the exact same thing I just did.

Airvidal

"You play weird" It's called being unorthodox ;)
No, I meant Ayase's "optimal" combo, don't know which one he means

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
Maybe it's just me, but when I play Demo, my priority is always the oki and space control. I'd rather knock you down and be on you.

If you ask the best Sonya player out there aka Scar why he does midscreen reload combos, he's gonna tell you the exact same thing I just did.
I'm still of the opinion that scar wins because he is a beast player in general, not because of demo. He probably knows better than me though, since I never play other people in the small amount of time i spend on MKX.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I'm still of the opinion that scar wins because he is a beast player in general, not because of demo. He probably knows better than me though, since I never play other people in the small amount of time i spend on MKX.
I think it's both. Scar is an excellent player and Demo Sonya is an excellent character. It really takes a good player to make her work, but let's not act like Sonya doesn't help a lot. :p

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but midscreen reloads are stance specific on Goro and Ferra/Torr. It ONLY works with her back turned by switching her stance. Otherwise, the second nade will whiff 100% of the time. I considered creating a thread about this to get this fixed, but nevermind.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
Perhaps, but no one utilizes demo to its full potential yet, which is sad. :( There are so many setups I know that literally are never used because no one wants to invest time into perfecting that game plan, so they just go with basic stuff. Me included btw :D

I don't know if you guys are aware of this, but midscreen reloads are stance specific on Goro and Ferra/Torr. It ONLY works with her back turned by switching her stance. Otherwise, the second nade will whiff 100% of the time. I considered creating a thread about this to get this fixed, but nevermind.
Wow thanks. This is the first time I've heard a concrete example of stance actually doing something. Maybe everyone else already knew it but to me it looked completely purposeless.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Alright, so I finally got video proof to show the dumb stance specific NE reload combo that Demo against Goro and F/T. I had to use my friend's PSN account because mine is gone. I only recorded Goro because I was lazy too, but it's the exact same thing against F/T.

Also, while I was testing this, I found out that it actually applies to other characters but in different scenarios. It was assumed that Kano could always get out of the grenade mindgames with this godlike backdash, but by switching Sonya's stance, he gets hit. I didn't test this with B14 because he ends up backdashing through the gap and if I try to space it to make it gapless, it's too far away and the grenade doesn't reach.

evolution07

That's so weird.

I just found out today some of Liu Kangs strings can be whiffed in flame fist.

Seems like these hit boxes need major adjustments for characters where strings aren't consistent on block

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
I have been trying to do the negative edge combos for 8+ hours now and haven't even came close once. I dont understand. I can't get a normal to come out in time after the grenades in order to juggle them with 4 i just dont get it. I can do complex things with my fingers I just dont understand what I'm doing wrong.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I have been trying to do the negative edge combos for 8+ hours now and haven't even came close once. I dont understand. I can't get a normal to come out in time after the grenades in order to juggle them with 4 i just dont get it. I can do complex things with my fingers I just dont understand what I'm doing wrong.
This is absolutely normal. It takes time to get used to the timing of the 4 because of the recovery frames of grenade toss. Tell me the inputs of the combo you're trying to do and maybe I can give you tips.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
B+14 df11 nip df11df1b (hold 1) 4 do release and whatever after I finally got it though and I get where I was going wrong now Lola.Maybe I should bitch about my execution issues on here more and ill be able to do it better. But seriously i finally figured out where I was going wrong. It was after the njp when I tossed the second grenade I was detonating it manually rather than using the 1 from the close grenade after if that makes sense.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
I recommend to practice out of combo, just throw a nade, then throw another one, standing 4 and repeat.

Df1b,Df1b(hold 1), 4, dd release

Now that Demo can only do one grenade of each grenade type per combo, looks like it's back to the lab to see what combos can be viable.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
The only thing that upsets me is that midscreen reload combos will no longer work. But other than, I'm okay.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
its not the end of the world. this mainly changes her corner game, and she can no longer do MOST (if not all, i havent checked everything) reload combos. Midscreen damage is still the same with the exception of meterless damage.

They really want to get rid of negative edge instead of learning from this debacle. eh.