What's new

Guide Cyrax Match-Up Chart & Guide ~ By Krayzie

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Cyrax vs Cyber-SubZero - 7-3

I dont have internet at the moment, but as soon as I do, I will explain. I dont want to do this from a phone.

3 starts off at 10 frames. And there is also slight pushback.

This is definitely true in the corner though, which is why Cyrax rapes a cornered Kenshi.
dont forget he can still armor out of it, and does that string catch him in the air when he tries to cross you over?

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
Cyrax vs Cyber-SubZero - 7-3

I dont have internet at the moment, but as soon as I do, I will explain. I dont want to do this from a phone.
Krayzie would you mind discussing the Cyber Sub matchup? I play against a very strong CSZ down here and would appreciate your breakdown.
I played this MU a bit with Krayzie this past weekend.

Its bad but not as frustrating as CSZ's other bad MUs if you play patiently and smart which is incredibly difficult against Cyrax.

Harry Otter

Zoning Master
7-3 Jade?

Wow I'd really have to disagree with that. =)

I wouldn't mind playing some better Cyraxs I guess but damn that's harsh!

NariTuba

disMember
His 1 frame parry is actually pretty good, but against a character who can deal 100% in one combo, its not ideal to abuse it. The recovery on a whiffed parry is pretty terrible, learn when to counter and bait it, and you have yourself a free combo.
Damn this is hard. I guess I need to get a human to practice this in training. Seems like the window to punish is very small when CSZ does back to back parrys. Definitely gonna work on this.

A few other punishes you can deal is a simple dash 12 net on a blocked dive kick.
That definitely depends on the height he hits you at doesnt it? If he hits you in the shin you cant really punish him before he can parry your 1,2. This has been a problem for me, its hard to judge where he hit you in the heat of the moment and after being parried a billion times for trying to punish the dive kick Im kinda afraid to attempt it. I tend to move forward with d4 or d4~saw after blocking a dive kick unless Im 100% they did a very unsafe dive kick that hit me in the head (which never happens against the dude Im playin).

Something I learned that does work is that if I put a mid bomb on screen this kinda limits his dive kicking ability because whether he hits or I block the DK he will recover onto the exploding bomb.

I guess Im gonna have fire up the training room and convince someone to play dummy for me until I can polish both these punishes. Thanks for the breakdown bro!

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
how do deep jumpkicks avoid smokebomb? and how does d4 avoid jax's groundpound?

also, i don't think kung lao gets beasted by cyrax...and how can a normal beat a 6 frame special?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
how do deep jumpkicks avoid smokebomb? and how does d4 avoid jax's groundpound?

also, i don't think kung lao gets beasted by cyrax...and how can a normal beat a 6 frame special?
1. A deep jumpkick changes the characters hitbox, so if you land it right, the smoke bomb whiffs.

2. If you D4, the hitbox moves, so the ground pound whiffs.(The Animation of his hand has to be at the highest point before he GP's.)

3. Also, when it comes to match-ups, remember that spacing will always come in handy. I think you are referring to a Kung Lao spin when you say a 6 frame special, correct? If so. What happens when you hit 12 on block, is that it spaces you out enough for the arc of Cyrax's 2 to beat Kung Lao out of any spin animation. It beats it 100% of the time.

Damn this is hard. I guess I need to get a human to practice this in training. Seems like the window to punish is very small when CSZ does back to back parrys. Definitely gonna work on this.

That definitely depends on the height he hits you at doesnt it? If he hits you in the shin you cant really punish him before he can parry your 1,2. This has been a problem for me, its hard to judge where he hit you in the heat of the moment and after being parried a billion times for trying to punish the dive kick Im kinda afraid to attempt it. I tend to move forward with d4 or d4~saw after blocking a dive kick unless Im 100% they did a very unsafe dive kick that hit me in the head (which never happens against the dude Im playin).

Something I learned that does work is that if I put a mid bomb on screen this kinda limits his dive kicking ability because whether he hits or I block the DK he will recover onto the exploding bomb.

I guess Im gonna have fire up the training room and convince someone to play dummy for me until I can polish both these punishes. Thanks for the breakdown bro!
Yeah man, honestly before I sat down to learn the match-up. I didn't quite understand how his parry worked and got hit by it often. You definitely have to have dive kick and parry punishments down against him. Everything will be way easier.
Some things to keep in mind.

1. Close Dive Kick = -18 Far Dive Kick = -16 {Your punish is a 9 frame jab.) There are extra frames after a dash, however not enough for a regular dive kick to be safe. At worst, you will be able to pressure on block and the parry will not work, or while in his parry input, you will punish. But it shouldn't be a problem at all, just practice the punish.

2. Parry has 43 active frames, and a duration of 52 frames. This means there is a 9 frame window to punish, all while just standing there. Figure out when the right time to punish is, by looking at the animation of the parry.

Axel_Redd

so wait...ur saying the 2 of 21 will wiff and the 1 will hit? or the 2 will hit? i don't get otherwise cuz i don't see how spacing would effect active frames. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to show it to me?

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
so wait...ur saying the 2 of 21 will wiff and the 1 will hit? or the 2 will hit? i don't get otherwise cuz i don't see how spacing would effect active frames. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to show it to me?
12 on block spaces out the character. So at any point the Kung Lao player decides to spin, 2 will hit him out of it.

Axel_Redd

ah so ur saying, because of the spacing, the 2 will hit AFTER the active 6th frame of the spin right? interesting....i'll have to remember to poke more often against cyrax's then. i've been using grindhat shenanigans a lot more too. Gurantee's pressure in a lot of instances.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
ah so ur saying, because of the spacing, the 2 will hit AFTER the active 6th frame of the spin right? interesting....i'll have to remember to poke more often against cyrax's then. i've been using grindhat shenanigans a lot more too. Gurantee's pressure in a lot of instances.
Ah, so you're a KL player?

What you do against this, is use 2 since its 7 frames long range. The counter to it is that you can duck and whiff punish the 21 string. But I really doubt many players know these tactics.

Axel_Redd

i know all about how his 21 and how it wiffs on duck, thats why i'll mix it up with 24 and such. I noticed in your mu chart you didn't really go into much about kung's mind games. Kung being as good as he is, i have to disagree with the 4-6 matchup. i'd say 5-5.

I used to play cyrax at one point...used to know his resets and what not. Dropped him for some reason or another. Tho that was back when i didnt give a damn a bout frame data. Lol

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
i know all about how his 21 and how it wiffs on duck, thats why i'll mix it up with 24 and such. I noticed in your mu chart you didn't really go into much about kung's mind games. Kung being as good as he is, i have to disagree with the 4-6 matchup. i'd say 5-5.

I used to play cyrax at one point...used to know his resets and what not. Dropped him for some reason or another. Tho that was back when i didnt give a damn a bout frame data. Lol
Cyrax shuts down his teleport, blows up his low hat, can whiff punish him, has spacing specific set-ups and doesn't mind when a KL player blows his 3 bars for an X-Ray. I'm not sure what mind games he can use that aren't deemed "Random," which is not as good against a character who gets rewarded with 100% damage on a good read.

Good stuff Krayzie ... these threads take a long time to create.
I was so mad when the site crashed. Luckily I was able to find it saved somewhere on google... lol

Axel_Redd

which 100% combo are u talkin about? rather ...which is the easiest one.

and what u mean he blows up low hat...with what?

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Krayzie, do you still feel Cyrax-Sonya is 4-6? I'm trying to find a better way to approach that MU, anyones's input would be appreciated! Sonya is the one character that both my main and alt (Reptile) I feel have a hard time dealing with her...

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Krayzie, do you still feel Cyrax-Sonya is 4-6? I'm trying to find a better way to approach that MU, anyones's input would be appreciated! Sonya is the one character that both my main and alt (Reptile) I feel have a hard time dealing with her...
It could very well be a 5-5 if you play a perfect match. But there really is no way to open her up.

If you can get through her shenanigans, she is still safe.

NariTuba

disMember
Yeah man, Sonya is super hard. My game is reduced to trying to net her while she tries to d4. Truly a net and a dream matchup for me :(

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
Yeah, sonya just beats him everywhere on the screen it seems to me. The equalizer, as always, is the damage. But the days of hoping for a lucky net have been gone for awhile. I lost to 2 high level sonya's at Raleigh, and the matchup has bugged me ever since. I've picked her up to play around with her as an alt character and I'm not finding that many weaknesses to exploit. To me this feels like a disadvantage MU, 4-6 is probably right on.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
Yeah, sonya just beats him everywhere on the screen it seems to me. The equalizer, as always, is the damage. But the days of hoping for a lucky net have been gone for awhile. I lost to 2 high level sonya's at Raleigh, and the matchup has bugged me ever since. I've picked her up to play around with her as an alt character and I'm not finding that many weaknesses to exploit. To me this feels like a disadvantage MU, 4-6 is probably right on.
Its actually not bad if you're patient. Sonya cant open you up unless you are net-happy. Just lay the bombs down and play the footsie game. Block all cartwheels, pressure her right after and make meter. The damage is scarier than her dive-kick.

I'll post some tips and tricks against her later on as I expand on the Sonya match-up.

Krayzie

Co-founder
Founder
what is the match up on Raiden? i do believe raiden has the edge am i right here?
6-4 in favor of Cyrax.

I actually had this one up, but when the site crashed it got erased.

I'll write up on him soon. In the meanwhile, I did get to play B W1zZ when I was in Dallas.