What's new

Cyborg General Discussion Thread

F22 has more hit advantage then df2 so I like ending my combos in that and taking a slight step forward and and feeding them 23 for breakfast also if you end your combos in f22 and it knocks them into the corner forward grapple is super good for a mix up since they can’t tech roll it if you do it make sure you are fairly close to the corner

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I was thinking along the lines that 2xxSD does more damage if it hits or more chip if the opponent is blocking than 23. It would leave you at -2 instead of 0. It also does have way less hit advantage though, I forgot to think about that. Thanks.

Ram

Buluc Chabtan
Classic just_2swift post regarding tech...

Swift: "yo guys I figured out how to do this crazy ass shit with Cyborg. It is broke and ppl will demand nerfs"

Cyborg community: "omg nice!"

Swift: "........"

Cyborg community: "okay so like, wanna tell us about it?"

*months go by*

Cyborg community: "Swift? gonna share that game-breaking tech?"

Swift: "oh shit you guys stilling waiting on that? ya it wasn't all that crazy, here it is"

*posts tech*

underwhelmed Cyborg community: "oh, ok great, thanks man :/ "

:DOGE
love you swift <3

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Classic just_2swift post regarding tech...

Swift: "yo guys I figured out how to do this crazy ass shit with Cyborg. It is broke and ppl will demand nerfs"

Cyborg community: "omg nice!"

Swift: "........"

Cyborg community: "okay so like, wanna tell us about it?"

*months go by*

Cyborg community: "Swift? gonna share that game-breaking tech?"

Swift: "oh shit you guys stilling waiting on that? ya it wasn't all that crazy, here it is"

*posts tech*

underwhelmed Cyborg community: "oh, ok great, thanks man :/ "

:DOGE
love you swift <3
Lol hey I told you the restand wasn't good lol

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Anyone know if VS Fighting 2018 Injustice 2 was streamed or uploaded to Youtube? Looks like Undeadjim took 3rd with Cyborg. He plays on hitbox so his instant airs are supreme.

Edit: Uploaded by HobbyGamer. I'd link it but I'm at work. Top 8 video has nice timestamps.

Last edited:
What did you guys think of undead Jim’s cyborg
Jim has some clean IAFB, and I like how he uses the ground roomba to create a throw/shimmy situation. I'm definitely going to steal that. I also noticed he does 113 SD for HKD, so I might do that instead of doing PF.

Also against supergirl he did d1 SD followed by a backdash, and it caused supergirls b12 to whiff and he got a full combo punish from it. Learned a lot.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
What did you guys think of undead Jim’s cyborg
I like it. He plays a fairly smart Cyborg, and very patient. Hitbox lets him really use those instant airs, and he's really good at converting hits on NB and TA into combos or traiting when safe. He makes nice work of the B123 string. I also like how he uses the SD for either safe pressure or a frame trap by delaying at the end of strings on block, or even canceling into it on hit to push the opponent full screen and set up more zoning. He caught his opponent a couple times with the delayed SD. He was even doing a lot of D1 into SD. His use of trait was interesting too, he did a good job using the roomba, and then walking next to it to be able to get into range of the opponent and set up some of his plus strings.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Just started watching some of Sooneo in top 8 at Defend The North 2018. Used J3 canceled into Down NB a few times, that's neat. Nice little 200ish damage on Atrocitus. Another wrinkle to consider.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
So I started watching a video series on fighting games called "Think, Don't Mash" which deals with learning fighting games by trying to start out with just 5 moves, and then building from there. The main thesis from the series is basically "you learn a complex skill by starting simple, and you only add to your repertoire of options once you’ve internalized and become comfortable with what you already know." The series is built more around SFV, but the concept is fairly universal.

https://pressbuttonwin.com/think-dont-mash-part-1-an-introduction-to-learning-step-by-step/#more-165

It got me thinking, if you were to apply this theory to Cyborg, what 5 moves would you pick? I was thinking NB, Walk, Grapple, 23 (I consider strings as moves), Dash, and Trait.

@Marlow That was a good read. I actually did something similar in injustice 1. Anytime I play a new character I try to feel out the character on my own by starting with a few moves, and maybe one combo. Pigofthehut did something similar were if he wanted to integrate a new string into his game, he would only use that specific string or special.

Also, I think the list is pretty solid. I've been using grapple like a mad man, and it's such a good mobility tool to get away and create space. 23 string is amazing also.

Cursa

Counterpoke with armoured DB2 at all times.
So I started watching a video series on fighting games called "Think, Don't Mash" which deals with learning fighting games by trying to start out with just 5 moves, and then building from there. The main thesis from the series is basically "you learn a complex skill by starting simple, and you only add to your repertoire of options once you’ve internalized and become comfortable with what you already know." The series is built more around SFV, but the concept is fairly universal.

https://pressbuttonwin.com/think-dont-mash-part-1-an-introduction-to-learning-step-by-step/#more-165

It got me thinking, if you were to apply this theory to Cyborg, what 5 moves would you pick? I was thinking NB, Walk, Grapple, 23 (I consider strings as moves), Dash, and Trait.
I sorta do this when I first start picking up characters and just stick to the absolute basics like a scrub because it just gets you used to the feel of the string/special and then you can do more 'advanced' stuff

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I wouldn't even say it's playing like a scrub. It allows you to focus on deploying moves with thought and purpose. For a newer player like me it's been a really helpful mindset to be in. I tend to think too much and over analyze, and then I end up feeling overwhelmed in matches, which usually leads to frustration and playing less often than I should.