What's new

Cyborg General Discussion Thread

Invincible Salads

Seeker of knowledge
Probably one of the main reasons why people expected/are expecting another IJ2 patch, the last one just didn't feel like it changed much at all.
i'm pretty content with this patch, the cast is useable (for the most part) we don't really have any god tier characters anymore and most characters either have a weakness, or are much more manageable than they were in the beginning of the game.

I don't think they need to shake up the meta so much as they need to add to it.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I don't think a character balance patch would do much. At best it would feel like re-arranging furniture. I think the bigger issues with Injustice 2 lie with things like presentation, and that's not something they really patch.

I don't think a character balance patch would do much. At best it would feel like re-arranging furniture. I think the bigger issues with Injustice 2 lie with things like presentation, and that's not something they really patch.
I feel your right that the issue is something that they can't really patch, but not necessarily presentation as it's too broad a term. For example, this game does look visually amazing, from the gear customization variety, to the improved lighting from the last game (first injustice looked like a grey wash), to the story, and improvement even some of the hideos animations and stances they had going on previously.

Biggest elephant in the room is clearly the input system, that has been a trademark regarding NRS games. That and some of their weird animation choices (red hood is a perfect example). However, none of these issues are severe enough (for me at least) to dislike the game, considering what we dealt with in MK9 and the first Injustice were leagues worse.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
That's true, presentation is a pretty broad term.

It's hard for me to put a finger on it, but sometimes it just feels like Injustice 2 lacks personality. I love the game, and I think the character design, character balance, pacing, and gameplay mechanics are top notch. But it just sometimes lacks those little things that help to really brand a game, or create that buzz about a game.

For example, when you think of Mortal Kombat, you can't help but think of things like Finishers, Brutalities, "Finish Him", "Get over here", stuff like that. That game has a clear style, a clear personality of embracing that over the top ultra-violence in an almost Quentin Tarantino way. I personally don't care for that style as much, but at least it's something.

Games like Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear have those great soundtracks that get people pumped. You've got the announcer yelling out "Combo Breaker!" and things throughout the match. Characters have big personalities, and it shines through not only in how their moves are animated but in their audio as well.

Anime games have their unique animations, Street Fighter has such an iconic history, games like MVC and DBZ have that over the top pacing, Tekken added some cool slowdown animations for some hype.

Injustice 2 is fine, but it seems like it lacks those extra little bells and whistles that helps really sell a game and define it. It's great to play, but I understand why some people don't care to watch it.

It's hard for me to put a finger on it, but sometimes it just feels like Injustice 2 lacks personality. I love the game, and I think the character design, character balance, pacing, and gameplay mechanics are top notch. But it just sometimes lacks those little things that help to really brand a game, or create that buzz about a game.

For example, when you think of Mortal Kombat, you can't help but think of things like Finishers, Brutalities, "Finish Him", "Get over here", stuff like that. That game has a clear style, a clear personality of embracing that over the top ultra-violence in an almost Quentin Tarantino way. I personally don't care for that style as much, but at least it's something.

Games like Killer Instinct and Guilty Gear have those great soundtracks that get people pumped. You've got the announcer yelling out "Combo Breaker!" and things throughout the match. Characters have big personalities, and it shines through not only in how their moves are animated but in their audio as well.

Anime games have their unique animations, Street Fighter has such an iconic history, games like MVC and DBZ have that over the top pacing, Tekken added some cool slowdown animations for some hype.

Injustice 2 is fine, but it seems like it lacks those extra little bells and whistles that helps really sell a game and define it. It's great to play, but I understand why some people don't care to watch it.
See, this comment makes sense. I can totally agree with this, as many of the franchises you mentioned (KI, Mortal Kombat, SF, Marvel, Tekken) have had a rich history which has allowed them to develop their own identity as fighting games. Even DBZ has had a history of fighting games as well.

Injustice (a DC fighting game) is still a reletively young series compared to most fighting games genres currently on the market. I feel that with time, they'll get better. I think an improvement on the music style (the elevator music needs to go honestly), some of the impact and uniqueness of attacks, animations, can really put a unique style for the game.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I wouldn't mind seeing a shift in tone either, maybe a bit away from the dark/gritty/grim style that seems to occupy so many characters, and inject some fun and joy into things. It doesn't have to be much, and I'm not looking for full on campyness like in the MVC series, but some superheroes who are actually excited to be heroes and are upbeat could be nice. It's basically the same problem I have with the DCEU.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
While you guys are on presentation, I think the MB animation in this game is super weak and is a missed opportunity. Just look at the MB animation of any other game, even other NRS games. I guess they were trying to go for realism, but that's just a perfect example of where they could have made the game look more visually appealing. Maybe instead of these little white sparks we could have had them glow with a similar aura as to when they super.

And I agree, the music is trash for a fighting game. Its good to set the mood for the story and I'll even say it works in the context of story mode, but as music that you are going to listen to for hours and hours and hours? It's mostly mediocre, definitely the weakest aspect of NRS games at this point.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Good luck to any and all Cyborg players at Evo this weekend. Twitch is blocked for me at work so I won't be able to watch anything during the day on Friday, so hopefully top 8 has 4-5 Cyborgs since that's all I'll likely be able to watch.

Also, big respect to whoever registered in their bracket simply as "Cyborg". I hope they cosplay as Cyborg too.

Parasurama

Dragon
See, this comment makes sense. I can totally agree with this, as many of the franchises you mentioned (KI, Mortal Kombat, SF, Marvel, Tekken) have had a rich history which has allowed them to develop their own identity as fighting games. Even DBZ has had a history of fighting games as well.

Injustice (a DC fighting game) is still a reletively young series compared to most fighting games genres currently on the market. I feel that with time, they'll get better. I think an improvement on the music style (the elevator music needs to go honestly), some of the impact and uniqueness of attacks, animations, can really put a unique style for the game.
Yes .. If they could improve the music and have dramatic or interesting finishes (NRS or Midway pioneered this) Doesn't need anything R rated. Also for a story about team ups... There is no team battle mode.

I agree with this! Injustice needs the characters to possibly just SAY MORE, get disrespectful, pump their chests out when they do stuff. All you hear are grunts yells and the occasional taunt after a throw, a super, or you take a life bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Sorry to hear that man. I personally love the game, and love Cyborg's design as of current. I still feel there's a lot I can learn about this game, and that's what keeps me playing. Tekken is awesome though, so not a bad choice haha :)
It's not about Borg it's just the game in general. I see a lot of miss opportunities and it annoys me.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I agree with this! Injustice needs the characters to possibly just SAY MORE, get disrespectful, pump their chests out when they do stuff. All you hear are grunts yells and the occasional taunt after a throw, a super, or you take a life bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Test Your Might
Most of the characters in the game just don't vibe with how I see comic book characters. I really like a lot of the DC characters, but the Injustice versions are just so grim, joyless, and depressing.