What's new

General/Other Council of Sub Mains

Seapeople

This one's for you
Easier said than done, bro.

I have no idea how to tell if it's an instant 3 or delayed 3. I just don't use Sub vs Lao. I pick someone with a fast uppercut. lol ... or Raiden b/c you can shocker his teleport.
Just duck. You'll be able to see the instant 3 go over your head and easily 212 afterward. But then Lao can delayed 3 and you'll be stuck eating a block string. I hate the teleport mix ups too so I usually use Cyrax lol

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
So I've been practicing with headphones as of late....holy shit it has mad a HUGE difference in my concentration. I highly suggest it to all you guys if you ever have trouble focusing on the match for one reason or another. OH YEAH, any of you lovely Lin Kuei good with Photoshop?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
So I've been practicing with headphones as of late....holy shit it has mad a HUGE difference in my concentration. I highly suggest it to all you guys if you ever have trouble focusing on the match for one reason or another. OH YEAH, any of you lovely Lin Kuei good with Photoshop?
If by, "good with photoshop" you mean you can crop a head and paste it over someone's body and make a meme... then yeah. :p

Seapeople

This one's for you
@Weedoshi

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)

I have no idea how to tell if it's an instant 3 or delayed 3. I just don't use Sub vs Lao. I pick someone with a fast uppercut. lol ... or Raiden b/c you can shocker his teleport.
You're pretty much in the same boat that I'm in. I don't have enough SZ match-up experience against Kung Lao. I'm starting to get better at it, though. A lot of it IS countering the tele instant 3's. But I haven't been able to train myself to react to the instant / delayed 3 mix-up.

I wish that it was recorded, but I had a really good fight against Forever King and his KL at Season's Beatings, a few weeks ago. For the teleport instant / delayed 3's, I basically just tried to read them. If I thought that he was going to do an instant 3, I'd just duck it and come right back up with 212 freeze combo. If I thought it'd be delayed 3, I'd just uppercut him out of it. It worked well enough, because I was able to take it to the third round in both matches (the final round of the set resulting with him having about 2% health left).

I should probably take my own advice as well, but if you have any friends that play video games; teach them how to do KL's teleport. And then ask them to mix it up between delaying the 3 and doing the instant 3. With this, perhaps in time, it might become easier to react to. I dunno, though.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
You're pretty much in the same boat that I'm in. I don't have enough SZ match-up experience against Kung Lao. I'm starting to get better at it, though. A lot of it IS countering the tele instant 3's. But I haven't been able to train myself to react to the instant / delayed 3 mix-up.

I wish that it was recorded, but I had a really good fight against Forever King and his KL at Season's Beatings, a few weeks ago. For the teleport instant / delayed 3's, I basically just tried to read them. If I thought that he was going to do an instant 3, I'd just duck it and come right back up with 212 freeze combo. If I thought it'd be delayed 3, I'd just uppercut him out of it. It worked well enough, because I was able to take it to the third round in both matches (the final round of the set resulting with him having about 2% health left).

I should probably take my own advice as well, but if you have any friends that play video games; teach them how to do KL's teleport. And then ask them to mix it up between delaying the 3 and doing the instant 3. With this, perhaps in time, it might become easier to react to. I dunno, though.
Wanna play on ps3,later and practice this? :D

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior

Maybe, but I'll probably just stick with picking someone else. lol

Blind_Ducky

Princess of the Sisterhood

You can't tell if its instant or delayed untill he does it. If you think it's gona be instant 3 do that crouch block thing to make it whiff then punish, if you think he'll do a delayed 3 then as soon as he teleports do a d1

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Wanna play on ps3,later and practice this? :D
In a perfect world, where MK 9's online experience was like TTT2's; I'd take you up on this in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the MK 9 online is so ass that it wouldn't really work to train for the instant / delayed 3's. Sorry, dude, but my disdain for online is massive. lol....it's good for learning basic match-up's data. But once you get that down, it does nothing but forces you to spend more time getting OFFLINE experience because you become so attuned to how to play online.

Granted, a lot of people are forced to only use online due to lack of local scene. But if you keep going to events like you're going to at MLG, you'll begin to understand just exactly what I'm talking about. /rant :p

So when you get there to MLG, don't be afraid to ask some of the guys what to do here, what to do there, etc.... Especially Brady. Ask him about what he does for instant / delayed teleport 3 and if he reads them or if he actually REACTS to them. He is nice and a very good teacher when you talk to him in-person.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
In a perfect world, where MK 9's online experience was like TTT2's; I'd take you up on this in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, the MK 9 online is so ass that it wouldn't really work to train for the instant / delayed 3's. Sorry, dude, but my disdain for online is massive. lol....it's good for learning basic match-up's data. But once you get that down, it does nothing but forces you to spend more time getting OFFLINE experience because you become so attuned to how to play online.

Granted, a lot of people are forced to only use online due to lack of local scene. But if you keep going to events like you're going to at MLG, you'll begin to understand just exactly what I'm talking about. /rant :p

So when you get there to MLG, don't be afraid to ask some of the guys what to do here, what to do there, etc.... Especially Brady. Ask him about what he does for instant / delayed teleport 3 and if he reads them or if he actually REACTS to them. He is nice and a very good teacher when you talk to him in-person.
Oh I feel you 100%. My scene is so fragmented right now. I still get some offline play, but not near enough. we have a Bi-weekly down here...but I'm like the only one in my scene who is not like you know....18 hehe. So now everyone is in school and I'm-

But yeah, I'm pretty much 100% on using scorpion vs KL. His D1 is so much easier to punish with, and its less of a read to get the full punish.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

So if I run into a Kenshi during a tournament that just has my number, and I decide to switch from Sub-Zero to Kenshi for that particular match-up; do I still get to be on this council?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
So if I run into a Kenshi during a tournament that just has my number, and I decide to switch from Sub-Zero to Kenshi for that particular match-up; do I still get to be on this council?
Yes. You are established dude, no need to ask :)
As long as you main sub you are on the council. LBSH sometimes to win, you gotta pick someone else. When I'm getting trounced by Kenshi and I've had enough I switch to smoke or Lao....even beefy alts w scorp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
my advice against KL. I do... excuse me.... did this online and a majority of the time it works 90% of the time.

2,2 teleports. 2,2 beats everything but instant 3. Instant 3 only leads into block string.... which if you have your wits ... you can escape. Instead of taking 40%... you take... 7-10%.
This is for those of you who are simply neglecting to back dash teleport (true punish) or don't feel comfortable trying to make that read.

This is basically what Denzell did to PL... because KL doesn't want to instant 3. he wants you to try to d1 or uppercut... so he can land the delayed 3. I promise you.... if you try to do either one of those things... you will lose. The risk reward doesn't favor you in the slightest. Its basically a just frame punish.... and a JF punish in a game with all the crazy shit... is just not worth it.

As for tourney nerves... I always think about what i'm going to do after I win. Seriously. Supreme confidence will get you further than you think. Even against Brady... I was simply sitting there thinking about after I won... standing up and shaking his hand and giving STB a big shoutout for all the hours we put in.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Yes, it is the ultimate humiliation for a subzero to beat a kenshit with kenshit.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
my advice against KL. I do... excuse me.... did this online and a majority of the time it works 90% of the time.

2,2 teleports. 2,2 beats everything but instant 3. Instant 3 only leads into block string.... which if you have your wits ... you can escape. Instead of taking 40%... you take... 7-10%.
This is for those of you who are simply neglecting to back dash teleport (true punish) or don't feel comfortable trying to make that read.

This is basically what Denzell did to PL... because KL doesn't want to instant 3. he wants you to try to d1 or uppercut... so he can land the delayed 3. I promise you.... if you try to do either one of those things... you will lose. The risk reward doesn't favor you in the slightest. Its basically a just frame punish.... and a JF punish in a game with all the crazy shit... is just not worth it.

As for tourney nerves... I always think about what i'm going to do after I win. Seriously. Supreme confidence will get you further than you think. Even against Brady... I was simply sitting there thinking about after I won... standing up and shaking his hand and giving STB a big shoutout for all the hours we put in.
instant 3 is 10% and KL has to spin or jump if he doesnt wanna be poked, I despise how fucking retarded it is that if he pokes then you don't get him and if he jump he'll probably get it due to you fearing 21, constant fucking mixup.

FrozenG3oX

<3 gimmicks

You beat Brady ? in a sub mirror, or... ?