What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Just as a reminder, we are ontop of moderating this thread. If you feel a certain response warrants being looked at, use the report feature. We will take a look and make a decision. If a certain member keeps saying things you don’t like or disagree with and you can’t keep your cool, use the ignore feature. And as I said, if what they’re saying deserves to be moderated, it will be.

Carry on

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
I am not sure heat has much to do with slowing it down. Sounds more like people still thinking this this is like the flu.. which it most defiantly isn't.

Australia is cooling down.. so are days are around 25-35c at the mo (77f - 95f) and before that were regularly topping 38c-42c (101f - 108f) and that didn't slow it down at all. In fact the exponential infection rate was pretty much identical to the graphs for cooler climates. India is like 30-40c right now, Parts of Africa are same.. both places are having explosions of infection. I'm not saying Hot Weather will not effect it at all, but based on what we have seen, I think it is either minimal, or it may not effect it.

I would run on the assumption that it will make exactly zero difference and act accordingly.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
I am not sure heat has much to do with slowing it down. Sounds more like people still thinking this this is like the flu.. which it most defiantly isn't.

Australia is cooling down.. so are days are around 25-35c at the mo (77f - 95f) and before that were regularly topping 38c-42c (101f - 108f) and that didn't slow it down at all. In fact the exponential infection rate was pretty much identical to the graphs for cooler climates. India is like 30-40c right now, Parts of Africa are same.. both places are having explosions of infection. I'm not saying Hot Weather will not effect it at all, but based on what we have seen, I think it is either minimal, or it may not effect it.

I would run on the assumption that it will make exactly zero difference and act accordingly.
Some pathogens actually become MORE virulent at higher temperatures.

This thread has opened my eyes to certain users on here who are intollerant phonies. Making good use of my ignore list tonight.

I know, but I would debate on the people coming in and out. NYC people come in and out all the time man, were literally the u.n. of the country in terms of nationalities people come and live here from all over, visit NYC sometime if you can down the line you'll see what I mean not to mention condensed as you've said. But that's also why I had said if were lucky it'll slow down, I never said definitely die or stop spreading ftr. This is very similar to the flu, cold etc in how we catch it, the symptoms etc just worse well to the older demographic at least and those with compromised health.

That's exactly my point regarding the rest of your post. Florida isn't as bad most states here aren't as nyc. Aside from florida being far more humid which is one of the main reasons why it's not the only reason why, obviously. NYC is far more crowded. Also people who go to FL are being 2 week quarantined if they're from ny, I don't blame them. Where I live, we have the highest cv rate however not the most total cases in the city by thorough, I live in the smallest one which in some ways good but many ways bad....

From what I understand Cali isn't as bad as ny, more wide spread, a bit warmer though to be fair they have other issues to deal with. We make up for half the countries cases, by that is which is nuts. Also I appreciate you being respectful which is more than I can day for some other users on here.
That was my point....NYC has way more international travelers coming in and out on a daily basis(maybe i worded it incorrectly). I live in Syracuse,Ny and have traveled to NYC many many times since I have siblings who live there.

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
how are people so stupid to listen to social media stars on this subject. I mean it baffles me how anyone can be so absolutely deranged to get their info from someone like Doctor Mike.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
It's been proven that some viruses DO indeed slow down in higher temperatures, not all but a lot.

That was my point....NYC has way more international travelers coming in and out on a daily basis(maybe i worded it incorrectly). I live in Syracuse,Ny and have traveled to NYC many many times since I have siblings who live there.
Oh ok I thought you meant something else, all good. Yeah I agree. Oh that's nice. I've been upstate a few times places when I was younger. Oh well that's cool. Everyone seems to know or have relatives in NYC I've noticed. Hope they're safe and doing well. It's scary to be in NYC right now dude.

Last edited:
Yeah. I think some people are missing the point.. The goal isn't just to scare people, but it's to get everyone to take this seriously and hopefully save lives (either their lives, their loved ones' lives, or lives of other people they might unknowingly infect).

And unfortunately, we've seen numerous examples of people not taking things seriously at all until they're scared. Not only has that been evident with environmental protection and climate change, or healthy eating habits, or guns, hurricane preparation, or any of the other things that threaten our livelihood over time.. It's also plainly evident in places like the US, UK, and even Italy this week, as there are groups of people hanging out on the beach, at bars, and in public places like nothing is going on.

So if you already get it, and you're taking it seriously, good for you. But the media is trying to wake up the thousands of other people who don't seem to have gotten the message yet and think this is not a big deal. People staying nonchalant will ultimately result in an additional hundreds of thousands to millions being infected. And many dying as a result.
I think it's long overdue for the world to realize being indifferent to others pain is no better than someone maliciously and purposefully hurting others if your actions end up hurting others anyways

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
how are people so stupid to listen to social media stars on this subject. I mean it baffles me how anyone can be so absolutely deranged to get their info from someone like Doctor Mike.
I mean he is an actual doctor and he made that video without ads. He also called out and corrected both sides. He isn't social media star. He is a real doctor who has film himself at work. He is as real as Legal Eagle and that other dude.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I mean he is an actual doctor and he made that video without ads. He also called out and corrected both sides. He isn't social media star. He is a real doctor who has film himself at work. He is as real as Legal Eagle and that other dude.
He must have alot of time to make youtube videos in his sparetime as a real doctor. Most doctors work more like 12 hours a day. And in this time with the coron virus i dont think many doctors have much spare time to make youtube videos at all.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Timing of this virus has been tough for me personally. My wife and I just had a baby 3 weeks ago, and my current job is ending at the end of April (unrelated to Covid-19). Normally I wouldn't stress too much about my job ending because I have a pretty decent resume so in a good economy I should be able to find something pretty easily, but now with the virus the job market has really dried up. I'm fine financially, and I have plenty of savings to get me by for now, but it sure is stressful.

Yes.
The good thing is that we acted early. (Actually very responsive for greek standards).
On the other hand there was a game of responsibilities between the gvt and church. Long story short, 15 days ago the church was all like "no problemo, go to churches and share the spoon of wine, you can't get infected :confused:" So the government gave them enough time, instead of instantly shutting them down like every other crowed event, musichalls, theatre and such.
Our numbers are low, while our neighbors in Italy suffer so much...

I work in theatre and gigs, so my income is frozen and I'm afraid the entertainment business will be on ice at least until mid summer. But tbh i care more for everyone to be as safe as possible.
Geez, I wanna yell at people like that who think "Jeebus will protect me" Jesus wants you to not be fucking stupid!

I have promoted and supported this website for many years, but the rules on politics are nonsensical. Every issue, including COVID-19, relates to politics in some way, shape, or form. As far as those individuals who cannot cope with political discussions are concerned, nobody is forcing them to click on this thread in order to participate.
I mean, you're not wrong but they shouldn't.

There's a lot of things that shouldn't even be political, for example human rights, and yet us dumb hairless apes with our "us vs them" mentality has made them into political arguments as if we're rooting for a football team. Like someone will deny outer space exists or seat belts save lives if it somehow helps the political party they vote for, and it so fucking stupid.

CY MasterHavik

Master of Chaos and Jax
He must have alot of time to make youtube videos in his sparetime as a real doctor. Most doctors work more like 12 hours a day. And in this time with the coron virus i dont think many doctors have much spare time to make youtube videos at all.
Geez, I wanna yell at people like that who think "Jeebus will protect me" Jesus wants you to not be fucking stupid!

I mean, you're not wrong but they shouldn't.

There's a lot of things that shouldn't even be political, for example human rights, and yet us dumb hairless apes with our "us vs them" mentality has made them into political arguments as if we're rooting for a football team. Like someone will deny outer space exists or seat belts save lives if it somehow helps the political party they vote for, and it so fucking stupid.
I mean everyone gets a day off. Also, if he wasn't a doctor you know how much legal trouble he would be in? Lawyers are busy too, but some stream and run Youtube channels too. There is thing known a work life balance. I'm not say he is the best doctor ever, but to say he isn't is going to demand a lot of proof besides, "Well doctors work this and he has too much time on his hands." The man just donated masks to hospitals. Let's stop it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
That's a bit of a wild generalization, it depends a lot on where they work. Some doctors who work mega shifts don't work 5 full days a week, so that means more full days off. I dont watch Dr. Mike but his ability to make youtube videos doesn't disqualify him from being a legitimate doctor. Everyone magically finds time for their hobbies despite how busy they may be.

Timing of this virus has been tough for me personally. My wife and I just had a baby 3 weeks ago, and my current job is ending at the end of April (unrelated to Covid-19). Normally I wouldn't stress too much about my job ending because I have a pretty decent resume so in a good economy I should be able to find something pretty easily, but now with the virus the job market has really dried up. I'm fine financially, and I have plenty of savings to get me by for now, but it sure is stressful.
Good luck man. I hope everything works out!

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Let's keep this topic as a resource for people who want to discuss the virus and the current response to it; not as a dumping ground for people who want to fight about stuff that's irrelevant to what's going on right now.
I mostly agree with you, but please understand that people are discussing who gets what, when, and how in terms of solutions to the virus, and every time you are arguing about the answers to these questions, you are by definition arguing about politics, which is precisely what democrats and republicans were doing just a couple of days ago.

I mostly agree with you too, and while I thought Karaokelove's post was very funny, let us not pretend that the opposite is not true. For every one Trump "cultist" that TYM may have, there are at least five social justice warriors who cannot wait to call you a hundred "-ists" unless you specifically subscribe to their interpretations of human rights.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I mostly agree with you, but please understand that people are discussing who gets what, when, and how in terms of solutions to the virus, and every time you are arguing about the answers to these questions, you are by definition arguing about politics, which is precisely what democrats and republicans were doing just a couple of days ago.
Which is fine imo -- but it shouldn't be an excuse for people to shoehorn in arguments about things that have nothing to do with the 2020 or Coronavirus. As long as it's on-topic politics it's ok.

If we're arguing about things that have nothing to do with the Covid-19 response, just to pit one politician against another over things from years ago, we're missing the point.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Dr Mike is actually a reliable source. Just because someone is popular that doesn’t mean what they are saying isn’t true or valid. He is also, you know, a real practicing physician. He has studied medicine for most of his life. He offers unbiased medical information, as well as advice. So, not sure what your issue is with him.

Regardless, as I stated before. Any information you receive from any source should be researched and corroborated with additional sources. This is true no matter who or where you’re getting any information from.

I mostly agree with you too, and while I thought Karaokelove's post was very funny, let us not pretend that the opposite is not true. For every one Trump "cultist" that TYM may have, there are at least five social justice warriors who cannot wait to call you a hundred "-ists" unless you specifically subscribe to their interpretations of human rights.
Yeah, every time someone tries to label me as a party they don't like I make it damn clear I know enough about politics to not be involved in any party.

Time and time again I notice people are rarely neutral till they have all the facts, always going to on extreme or the other. I wish more people were middle ground. Sure we saw people treat this virus as they should, something a little worrying but not the end of the world, dangrous but not doomsday but we see many more go to one extreme (blowing it off as nothing) or the other extreme (thinking it's one of God's plagues and it's the end times).

It's crazy how quick people are to either go full panic mode or full dismissive mode. It's like kids who are bored and don't want to spend the time to pay attention to the full lession except it's adults who can't sit for 30 minutes and the lesson is "hey is this thing dangerous and how can it effect your livelihood."

aj1701

Noob
Yeah true, containers come from all over europe, but if nobody wears protectiongloves they all touch the containers so its kinda stupid to not have protection provided when they are not cleaning the containers they bring in. I would buy my own mask and plastic gloves but they cant be find anywhere online or in stores nearby espcially masks. And i know we sell plastic gloves too so thats kinda crazy.
If the containers take a week or more to get to your store, the virus is also likely dead by then as well. That's why deliveries of all kinds are still happening; the highest risk is someone at your job having it and it traveling on a container to the person ordering the food.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Which is fine imo -- but it shouldn't be an excuse for people to shoehorn in arguments about things that have nothing to do with the 2020 or Coronavirus. As long as it's on-topic politics it's ok.

If we're arguing about things that have nothing to do with the Covid-19 response, just to pit one politician against another over things from years ago, we're missing the point.
Point taken.

Yeah, every time someone tries to label me as a party they don't like I make it damn clear I know enough about politics to not be involved in any party.

Time and time again I notice people are rarely neutral till they have all the facts, always going to on extreme or the other. I wish more people were middle ground. Sure we saw people treat this virus as they should, something a little worrying but not the end of the world, dangrous but not doomsday but we see many more go to one extreme (blowing it off as nothing) or the other extreme (thinking it's one of God's plagues and it's the end times).

It's crazy how quick people are to either go full panic mode or full dismissive mode. It's like kids who are bored and don't want to spend the time to pay attention to the full lession except it's adults who can't sit for 30 minutes and the lesson is "hey is this thing dangerous and how can it effect your livelihood."
From what I have observed, heard, and read in the United States, nobody appears to be downplaying the virus except a small minority of irresponsible college students who want to party during spring break and hardcore Trump supporters who believe the crisis will prevent reelection in November.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
From what I have observed, heard, and read in the United States, nobody appears to be downplaying the virus except a small minority of irresponsible college students who want to party during spring break and hardcore Trump supporters who believe the crisis will prevent reelection in November.
Trump was literally calling it a "hoax by the Democrats" up until recently.

That link is CNBC, but if you're one of those people who doesn't trust anything mainstream media reports about the fuhrer in chief, just Google it and you can find nigh infinite sources.