What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Trump was literally calling it a "hoax by the Democrats" up until recently.

That link is CNBC, but if you're one of those people who doesn't trust anything mainstream media reports about the fuhrer in chief, just Google it and you can find nigh infinite sources.
I did not vote for Trump and I take everything that he says with a grain of salt. Very rarely do I come to his defense.

I generally trust the mainstream media. Cable news (CNN, Fox, and MSNBC) are garbage, though.

Your "Fuhrer in Chief" comment reveals more about you than any of my comments reveal about me.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
I did not vote for Trump and I take everything that he says with a grain of salt. Very rarely do I come to his defense.

I generally trust the mainstream media. Cable news (CNN, Fox, and MSNBC) are garbage, though.

Your "Fuhrer in Chief" comment reveals more about you than any of my comments reveal about me.
My post wasn't a dig at you, it was just a response to the "no one is downplaying the virus" comment. And I meant the "fuhrer in chief" line literally. Trump is a ruthless, tyrannical leader. He's just being kept in check for now (kind of...). If locking children in cages doesn't label you as ruthless, I don't know what else will.

Last edited:

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
The federal government is ultimately going to need to keep paying people to stay indoors until the end of summer.

If people go too long without money the real danger in the USA will be the violence and anarchy at both grocery stores and in neighborhoods.

So even though this stimulus bill undoubtedly is going to make the rich richer, at least it's a step, for now, to put money in people's pockets.

Stay safe guys.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Trump is a ruthless, tyrannical leader
Can he really be called a leader though? If the COVID-19 pandemic has shown us anything, it's just how much of a lack of leadership there is in the oval office right now.

Originally he downplayed the virus because he didn't want it to spook the stock market, which he equates to the economy. The stock market is not the economy, but that's a separate discussion. Either way, keeping the stock market high in order to look good has been his primary motivation throughout. That's why he suddenly changed his tone in March once the crisis became so large it was impossible to ignore. Even now that he's taking things more seriously, most of his motivation is aimed at finding ways to spread false optimism and hope, which the actual experts who speak after him end up having to downplay or undercut.

His lack of political experience is also showing. He clearly doesn't know how to lead from a political position in a time of crisis. Like, he just doesn't seem to understand how to use his office to competently deal with things. This was always a potential danger when people decided to elect a lifelong Brand Manager instead of someone with actual political experience. Compare the job Trump is doing to what the Governor of New York is doing, it's not even close.

I don't want to use a crisis like this to score political points, but at the same time this is clear evidence as to why someone like Trump is a poor choice for President. At this point it's not even about policy, he's just flat out bad at his job right now.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I'm still hopeful about the weather helping, we'll see. The plasma in blood helping really sick people is good, I feel like not enough people are talking about the positives here. Nobody knows for obviously, even the know it alls until summer actually hits regarding the heat. FTR, Trump isn't a tyrant lol. Can we focus on CV instead of "orange man bad" bs? Good lord, I see now why political topics aren't allowed.

Last edited:

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I hope the coronavirus raises people's awareness that they need to do everything they can to be healthy and raise their immune systems so they are less susceptible to these types of things. Being elderly or being born with compromised health is one thing, but people are legitimately eating or smoking themselves into crippling health problems, making them far more vulnerable to diseases of any kind.

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
I hope the summer helps too, although at this point I feel like it's just wishful thinking.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
The federal government is ultimately going to need to keep paying people to stay indoors until the end of summer.

If people go too long without money the real danger in the USA will be the violence and anarchy at both grocery stores and in neighborhoods.

So even though this stimulus bill undoubtedly is going to make the rich richer, at least it's a step, for now, to put money in people's pockets.

Stay safe guys.
True but Trump keeps saying he wants to “have everything back to normal” by Easter. I’m not sure if he really believes that or is trying to make people relax. Either way, Easter is only a couple of weeks away. I don’t see how anything will remotely get back to normal by then. According to experts, this virus hasn’t even gotten close to its peak.

All I know is for me personally, I’m grateful to still be working. But at the same time, I’m constantly stressed out and honestly worried/scared. Also, I’m really hoping to get hazard pay. I’m a sub contractor for AT&T, and the OPT AT&T workers are getting hazard pay for “working during a pandemic”. Which means they are getting a bonus of $7 more an hour. Which means most of them are making $40+/hr now. Really really hope my company follows suit. Shit, I hope everyone in America gets some sort of bonus for working during a pandemic.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
My post wasn't a dig at you, it was just a response to the "no one is downplaying the virus" comment. And I meant the "fuhrer in chief" line literally. Trump is a ruthless, tyrannical leader. He's just being kept in check for now (kind of...). If locking children in cages doesn't label you as ruthless, I don't know what else will.
Obama authorizing the execution of American citizens abroad using drone strikes would qualify as much worse. I think you are likely blinded by your political affiliation.

Trump is inconsiderate, supercilious, and vociferous, but he is not Hitler. Irrespective of any rhetoric, the Constitution prevents any U.S. president from becoming a dictator.

I hope the coronavirus raises people's awareness that they need to do everything they can to be healthy and raise their immune systems so they are less susceptible to these types of things. Being elderly or being born with compromised health is one thing, but people are legitimately eating or smoking themselves into crippling health problems, making them far more vulnerable to diseases of any kind.
Ironically, alcohol, legal cannabis, and tobacco sales have all increased during this crisis. LOL. When people, particularly men, have lots of time on their hands, they tend to engage in self-destructive behavior.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Ironically, alcohol, legal cannabis, and tobacco sales have all increased during this crisis. LOL. When people, particularly men, have lots of time on their hands, they tend to engage in self-destructive behavior.
Yeah, people being stupid doesn't surprise me at all. I know 3 pack a day smokers / regular drinkers / people that ate themselves into diabetes that are now soooooo health conscious because of the coronavirus. Not that there is anything wrong with that, they should be scared. It's just very sad they put themselves in that position by voluntarily destroying their respiratory and immune systems.

MKF30

I don't think anything that looks on the up and up is wishful thinking anymore than those who think "oh we'll be locked inside a year" few months, sure but a year? I think at least by a years time we'll have if not a vaccine definitely better ways to tackle it. I read today that Vitamin C, heavy doses have helped people really sick. Not saying to overdose on VC lol but I got some orange juice and I want to get some Vitamin C chewables.

Did you guys hear that story apparently it was bs about some celebrities were being paid to say they had CV just to scare people into staying in? The article I read Cardi B was spouting some nonsense and Idris Elba said not to listen to people like her(he didn't say her name specifically but it was definitely a reference to her) I guess his name came up with this rumor.

E

Eldriken

I don't think anything that looks on the up and up is wishful thinking anymore than those who think "oh we'll be locked inside a year" few months, sure but a year? I think at least by a years time we'll have if not a vaccine definitely better ways to tackle it. I read today that Vitamin C, heavy doses have helped people really sick. Not saying to overdose on VC lol but I got some orange juice and I want to get some Vitamin C chewables.

Did you guys hear that story apparently it was bs about some celebrities were being paid to say they had CV just to scare people into staying in? The article I read Cardi B was spouting some nonsense and Idris Elba said not to listen to people like her(he didn't say her name specifically but it was definitely a reference to her) I guess his name came up with this rumor.
When you read that vitamin c apparently helps, did the site cite its sources providing factual information? It helping people could have been purely coincidence. Don't take this as me saying you're wrong and the claims are not true in any way. I'm just asking if you try to corroborate what you read on a site first before thinking it's true in any shape or form?

I just don't know if there's even been enough time to determine if vitamin c helps at all.

This article supports that - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/24/coronavirus-fact-check-could-vitamin-c-cure-covid-19/2904303001/

I know you didn't say "cure" or "prevent". But it says there's no scientific evidence that it helps treat, prevent or cure COVID-19 or its symptoms.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
When you read that vitamin c apparently helps, did the site cite its sources providing factual information? It helping people could have been purely coincidence. Don't take this as me saying you're wrong and the claims are not true in any way. I'm just asking if you try to corroborate what you read on a site first before thinking it's true in any shape or form?

I just don't know if there's even been enough time to determine if vitamin c helps at all.

This article supports that - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/03/24/coronavirus-fact-check-could-vitamin-c-cure-covid-19/2904303001/

I know you didn't say "cure" or "prevent". But it says there's no scientific evidence that it helps treat, prevent or cure COVID-19 or its symptoms.
Here's some better info imo:
https://www.newsweek.com/new-york-hospitals-vitamin-c-coronavirus-patients-1494407

It says pretty clearly that just eating vitamin C won't help; it's being used in targetted cases by doctors, but only intravenously, and only in cases based on that specific patient's situation. So munching vitamin C pills and drinking OJ does nothing.

MKF30

The article was from doctors who tested high amounts of Vitamin C states that it actually does help patients suffering.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/new-york-hospitals-treating-coronavirus-patients-with-vitamin-c/

Granted it's far higher amounts, but still...at this point can't exactly overdose on vitamin C when you're dying. They have nothing to lose. I'm sure there will be naysayers in here as usual, but if you read the article, the doctors who are the ones treating the patients said themselves they saw an improvement after giving them a lot more Vit C as oppose to their previous condition. Not a cure, of course but definitely helps.

This is locally near me also, so naturally it won't be posted all over...yet. But as I'm sure you know NY has been hit the hardest in terms of individual states, we represent half of the nations cases.

E

Eldriken

The article was from doctors who tested high amounts of Vitamin C states that it actually does help patients suffering.
https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/new-york-hospitals-treating-coronavirus-patients-with-vitamin-c/

Granted it's far higher amounts, but still...at this point can't exactly overdose on vitamin C when you're dying. They have nothing to lose.

This is locally near me also, so naturally it won't be posted all over...yet. But as I'm sure you know NY has been hit the hardest in terms of individual states, we represent half of the nations cases.
"Promising reports" doesn't mean anything. "Promising" =/= "This is what it does".

Crimson also posted a different source about the same thing. Scroll up and give it a look.

Secondly, this should NOT have "treatment" in its topic title for that article. That's just foolish (this isn't directed at you, just making an observation) as it's not proven to treat anything. Vitamin C has widely been regarded one of the go-to vitamins if you feel like you're becoming ill, so it's no surprise that it could possibly help with the symptoms that COVID-19 shares with the flu/common cold. But even then, there's still no actual factual data proving that vitamin C helps with even cold symptoms.

There's also such a thing as taking too much vitamins and having to take 15x the regular dose in hopes of feeling better? Nah. I'll pass on that unless it's proven to work otherwise. Taking the initial dose may not cause any adverse effects, but if it continues to get administered to you like that, I somehow doubt it can be too healthy.

MKF30

"Promising reports" doesn't mean anything. "Promising" =/= "This is what it does".

Crimson also posted a different source about the same thing. Scroll up and give it a look.

Secondly, this should NOT have "treatment" in its topic title for that article. That's just foolish (this isn't directed at you, just making an observation) as it's not proven to treat anything. Vitamin C has widely been regarded one of the go-to vitamins if you feel like you're becoming ill, so it's no surprise that it helps with the symptoms that COVID-19 shares with the flu/common cold. But even then, there's still no actual factual data proving that vitamin C helps with that.

There's also such a thing as taking too much vitamins and having to take 15x the regular dose in hopes of feeling better? Nah. I'll pass on that unless it's proven to work otherwise. Taking the initial dose may not cause any adverse effects, but if it continues to get administered to you like that, I somehow doubt it can be too healthy.
It confirms that it helped the patients, that's my point. Never said it was a cure but I'm not going to be "all doom and gloom oh this is useless" when it's clearly not useless, I think a doctor would know better than any of us. I read it, there is one major difference if I may, mine interviewed the actual doctors treating the patients and not a random scientist from the UK. Not saying he's not knowledgable, but if it were me I'd listen the my doc over some "expert" from overseas. Just saying man lol. They literally said that the patient improved...

But like I said it's just something that can help at least with certain patients, other things help too such as the malia drug and blood plasma extraction from people who survived it which has been proven to help tremendously. But they only do that if you can't recover on your own and are like really, really sick. I also spoke to my own personal doc today since I've had this nagging dry cough(but no other symptoms, I have bad allergies) I asked him quite a few questions and he too confirmed everything I just said, he's been a doctor for over 20 years.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Taking Vitamin C pills doesn’t even help against the common cold, despite popular belief. In fact, most vitamin pills and supplements either aren’t very effective (at all) in general, or can cause serious health issues if taken in excess.

And, any supplement claiming to boost your immune system is simply a scam. The only thing that really boosts your immune system is exercise, getting the recommended amount of sleep, and eating healthy (including drinking lots of water).

E

Eldriken

It confirms that it helped the patients, that's my point. Never said it was a cure but I'm not going to be "all doom and gloom oh this is useless" when it's clearly not useless, I think a doctor would know better than any of us. I read it, there is one major difference if I may, mine interviewed the actual doctors treating the patients and not a random scientist from the UK. Not saying he's not knowledgable, but if it were me I'd listen the my doc over some "expert" from overseas. Just saying man lol. They literally said that the patient improved...

But like I said it's just something that can help at least with certain patients, other things help too such as the malia drug and blood plasma extraction from people who survived it which has been proven to help tremendously. But they only do that if you can't recover on your own and are like really, really sick. I also spoke to my own personal doc today since I've had this nagging dry cough(but no other symptoms, I have bad allergies) I asked him quite a few questions and he too confirmed everything I just said, he's been a doctor for over 20 years.
How do you KNOW it was the vitamin C that helped their symptoms? How do the doctors? It could purely be circumstantial/coincidental. Those terms exist specifically for moments like this.

The doctors claimed, dude. Claimed. Claiming is not citing facts. The doctors cannot claim it's factual because they literally have no evidence. There is still no factual evidence that vitamin C even helps with the common cold and that's been around a Hell of a lot longer than COVID-19. Unless the website has sources cited that have irrefutable evidence, then it cannot be taken as a fact or even a remote possibility. Circumstantial.

All you have to do is look - https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/vitamin-c-for-common-cold#1

I'll believe years of research over a doctor's claims that can't be quantified.

This is exactly how misinformation gets spread because people do not research.

MKF30

Anti-oxidents in certain foods have been proven to boost immune system...
https://www.geisinger.org/health-and-wellness/wellness-articles/2018/01/19/14/09/6-foods-to-boost-your-immune-system-through-cold-and-flu-season

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/322412#which-foods-boost-the-immune-system

Someone who practices eating healthy with exercise vs someone who doesn't won't be tackling a cold the same or have the same chance of getting easily sick. I'd like to think I'm proof of that in high school, all I ate every day were apples, peanut butter, blueberries, almonds and a vitamin C pill for 4 years during high school. Know how many times I was out in 4 years? 3 times...and it wasn't even due to being sick but migraines(at the time I got them bad due to stress, anyone who gets them knows how insanely painful they are)

My friends who thought I was crazy for eating things high in vitamins and AO, yet they didn't and got sick several times a year. Coincidence? I'm not saying they're a CURE before someone misquotes me, but they definitely help and I'll argue that with anyone. Pomegranate is really good for you too. Just saying eating right, good things and exercising(even if it's 15 mins a day you don't have to work out 5 hours like a bodybuilder) is good for your body.

How do you KNOW it was the vitamin C that helped their symptoms? How do the doctors? It could purely be circumstantial/coincidental. Those terms exist specifically for moments like this.

The doctors claimed, dude. Claimed. Claiming is not citing facts. The doctors cannot claim it's factual because they literally have no evidence. There is still no factual evidence that vitamin C even helps with the common cold and that's been around a Hell of a lot longer than COVID-19. Unless the website has sources cited that have irrefutable evidence, then it cannot be taken as a fact or even a remote possibility. Circumstantial.

All you have to do is look - https://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/vitamin-c-for-common-cold#1

I'll believe years of research over a doctor's claims that can't be quantified.

This is exactly how misinformation gets spread because people do not research.
Dude did you read the article? lol the doctor himself said his patient improved AFTER he dosed him bigtime with Vitamin C, so you're saying he got better magically and VC had nothing to do with it? How is this misinformation though when the doctor himself said it? You're believing some "expert" in the UK over a doctor who gave the interview...The fact is, nobody is saying it's a cure, but obviously it doesn't hurt either so...take that as you will.

Let me ask you a simple question man, if you're sick and willing to try anything. Would you run with what your doctor recommends or some random scientist who doesn't even live in the states says?

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

Dude did you read the article? lol the doctor himself said his patient improved AFTER he dosed him bigtime with Vitamin C, so you're saying he got better magically and VC had nothing to do with it? How is this misinformation though when the doctor himself said it? You're believing some "expert" in the UK over a doctor who gave the interview...The fact is, nobody is saying it's a cure, but obviously it doesn't hurt either so...take that as you will.

Let me ask you a simple question man, if you're sick and willing to try anything. Would you run with what your doctor recommends or some random scientist who doesn't even live in the states says?
It's misinformation because it can be looked at as circumstantial because the doctor has literally nothing to prove anything. What if it was something else that wasn't vitamin C? What would you say then?

I understand that it's easy to attach to any form of hope that's thrown out there, especially when you see something familiar like "vitamin C" coupled with "helps treat Coronavirus", but you have got to think for yourself and really look at things from a different perspective.

Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they're incapable of being wrong. They're still human, can jump the gun, make incorrect statements while citing them as facts, etc and still be wrong.

You seem all too willing to just suck up whatever gets shoveled your way. Why isn't your default train of thought the following: "How can this doctor claim it helps when years of research still cannot prove that vitamin C helps with the common cold? What are his credentials to make this claim? Where's his research?" and so on.

To answer your other question: I wouldn't take a fucking thing from God himself if he couldn't show me factual data that it does this and causes that. Simple as that. Too much of a risk in trying something that hasn't been proven to work. No, this isn't in the sense that I'm being offered vitamin C. I know that vitamin C isn't gonna hurt me unless there's something wrong with me and my body's response to it. I'm specifically saying I wouldn't try something that could kill me instead of help me because there's not enough data to determine which is likely to happen.

In fact, most vitamin pills and supplements either aren’t very effective (at all) in general, or can cause serious health issues if taken in excess.
Man, I hope not. With my Crohn's disease, I have a very restricted diet; my body mostly only tolerates junk food. Supplements help me a lot overall, as they're a primary source of nutrients for me. This is not by choice, but how the hand's been dealt to me at this time.

MKF30

It's misinformation because it can be looked at as circumstantial because the doctor has literally nothing to prove anything. What if it was something else that wasn't vitamin C? What would you say then?

I understand that it's easy to attach to any form of hope that's thrown out there, especially when you see something familiar like "vitamin C" coupled with "helps treat Coronavirus", but you have got to think for yourself and really look at things from a different perspective.

Just because someone is a doctor doesn't mean they're incapable of being wrong. They're still human, can jump the gun, make incorrect statements while citing them as facts, etc and still be wrong.

You seem all too willing to just suck up whatever gets shoveled your way. Why isn't your default train of thought the following: "How can this doctor claim it helps when years of research still cannot prove that vitamin C helps with the common cold? What are his credentials to make this claim? Where's his research?" and so on.

To answer your other question: I wouldn't take a fucking thing from God himself if he couldn't show me factual data that it does this and causes that. Simple as that. Too much of a risk in trying something that hasn't been proven to work. No, this isn't in the sense that I'm being offered vitamin C. I know that vitamin C isn't gonna hurt me unless there's something wrong with me and my body's response to it. I'm specifically saying I wouldn't try something that could kill me instead of help me because there's not enough data to determine which is likely to happen.
From God himself? :p Even if he could snap and make you fine? lol not a religious guy I take, I would if it was freaking God lol but anyway ok. So that's a no then. So even if you were dying and your doc said, this COULD help you or you will die, you'd be like "well I'm skeptical let me die" instead? I mean by this point what do you have to lose? lol you're dying anyway but I do find your answer interesting. Keep in mind I'm talking like on your deathbed not just sick.

I don't believe it's misinformation, I'm just posting it because you had asked and it gives me hope that we have things to battle this thing(not cure it, yet at least if we can) it's merely an article about a doctor who's patients are doing better with VC(in higher doses) than not. I'm not believing some chump "expert" from out of country over my own doctor man, I don't care what I have if I'm ill. lol I'm not saying he's perfect, or always right but the downplay of things on here of things that clearly help patients is kind of insane. They also jacked up the does of Vitamin C which is far more than a regular dose. If I were to be skeptical, I'd get a second opinion. I was born with a heart defect and still have it but keep an eye on it. First guy(a science professor and teenage and adult cardiologist) told me I needed emergency surgery to him, This guy was all "oh get it fixed now or could harm you in your 20's!!"my family and I weren't satisfied so we got a second opinion from another doctor who had a better rep in the city. I wasn't having any health issues mind you. So anyway we saw another guy in the city as I've said. He said the opposite, said in my older age it COULD potentially cause me issues but I could also live to 95 no problem with it so long as it heals/almost closes. He said we COULD close it if we want but it's not necessary, and as most know surgery is always risky unless necessary. So I got an eco every year to keep an eye and we found it was closing, just healing slower than some other people. However still there, it's not harmful level. I was 12 when it was first found so we're not fully grown yet.

I listened to his recommendation of (at the time) my cardiologist for kids and teens (top 100 cardiologists in the state at the time before he retired) he said the same thing, said the first guy overreacted and was probably high and mighty thinking he was 'an expert" on the matter. The guy was a basic cardiologist, this guy was in top 100 in the state so yeah....

I still have it today and it's caused me no issues, so who was right? Not the so called expert at first glance. Some scientists and doctors bs people too you know, going from my own personal experience, I'd gladly believe my own doc any day over a scientist when it comes to my health. Others can disagree, that's fine but I'm going based off my own personal experience as well here. If I got CV, it would be no different. But anyway dude, I have no issue respectfully disagreeing on some things. You're reasonable, I'm reasonable. It's all good. I just want you to know why I feel that way using my own example, first dude nearly scared my folks to death til I talked to my mom about getting a different opinion. Something told me not to buy the first guys bs, and my instinct turned out to be right.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Man, I hope not. With my Crohn's disease, I have a very restricted diet; my body mostly only tolerates junk food. Supplements help me a lot overall, as they're a primary source of nutrients for me. This is not by choice, but how the hand's been dealt to me at this time.
Sorry to hear that man. Seriously, that sucks.

If you’re not getting your vitamins from regular food (a healthy balanced diet preferably), I’d imagine vitamins and/or supplements are probably better than nothing. But of course, you would know better than me what your body needs with your condition. Be safe out there bro.