What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Well to get back on topic.. The US is now the #1 country worldwide in cases. We finally beat China and Italy.

After watching the press conference today, I’m not sure the President understands this.

Anything and anywhere that can be shut down should be shut down, now, in order to prevent this from getting much worse. Reacting after the fact isn’t good enough with exponential growth.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I believe He understands but now each states elected officials also need to step up as well. Look at us in nys and learn from it. This isn't going to go away overnight sadly. Just have to do our best and work faster for that vaccine if we can. Work on the vaccines, pray and be smart that means not going to beaches etc

We all have to do our part too

LeoMK29

Noob
Yeah he understands alright, but does he care? lol. That precious election. Now is not the time to reopen anything. Have to be preventative.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I believe He understands but now each states elected officials also need to step up as well. Look at us in nys and learn from it. This isn't going to go away overnight sadly. Just have to do our best and work faster for that vaccine if we can. Work on the vaccines, pray and be smart that means not going to beaches etc

Our state has stepped up. And I've personally given all I have -- my job and 100% of my income, any savings I had soon, and possibly my career depending on how things recover. I've been at home for two weeks straight and our Governor is questioning why we can't get a Federal order for basic supplies.

I would like to know that we have leadership who is interested in clamping down properly to get this over with as fast as possible -- and not prolonging things by relaxing restrictions on Easter because "People want to go back to work". Lots of us are doing our part, but the Federal govt. has the power to undo much of it by being rash instead of listening to widely available scientific evidence.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter

Unfortunately a vaccine won’t be coming anytime soon. From what all the vaccine experts have said, and what I have corroborated, it seems like late 2021 may be the EARLIEST we will have one.

There’s a whole hell of a lot that goes into initially creating a vaccine. This initial process takes a lot of time, and it takes a very high number of resources. Which also means, it takes A LOT of money. From estimations, a vaccine can cost upwards of 2 billion dollars to fully fund. And from what I understand, that isn’t necessarily for a vaccine that is fully tested and proven to be effective. Which brings me to the next point, extensive testing. (To clarify, personally I don’t care how much money or resources it takes. But unfortunately that isn’t how the world operates).

I oversimplified the initial creation process, but that alone takes so much testing and trail and error. They have to be as sure as possible that it’s safe to even start human trials.

Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (N.I.A.I.D.), said “A vaccine that you make and start testing in a year is not a vaccine that’s deployable. The earliest it would be deployable is in a year to a year and a half, no matter how fast you go.”

A covid-19 vaccine developed, licensed, and manufactured at a global scale in twelve months would be an unprecedented, remarkable, even revolutionary achievement. No other vaccine has come close to being developed that quickly.

Certain officials do not understand that “being in people,” as in human trials, is not the same as having a product. Clinical trials are conducted on healthy people, which is inherently challenging. “You certainly don’t want a vaccine that can make it worse,” Shiver said. “There have been some vaccine candidates historically that could actually enhance the disease.” Sanofi is working with the United States Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, a sort of biomedical darpa, to advance a covid-19 vaccine based largely on the vaccine candidate it had developed for sars. Shiver told me that the authority doesn’t expect to have anything ready for human trials until much later this year. “It’s difficult,” Shiver said, “to see how, even in the case of an emergency, a vaccine could be fully ready for licensure in a year and a half.”

So much goes into vaccines. As stated above, having one that is “fully ready to go”, meaning one that has been reliably tested in its efficacy, and that has been tested to be safe for human consumption, within a year is unheard of, to be clear.

I’m not saying this to freak anyone out. But I don’t want anyone to have faulty expectations of there being a vaccine “soon”.

To read the full article in which I have taken quotes from, here it is: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-long-will-it-take-to-develop-a-coronavirus-vaccine/amp

More on the history of vaccines and the development: https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Unfortunately a vaccine won’t be coming anytime soon. From what all the vaccine experts have said, and what I have corroborated, it seems like late 2021 may be the EARLIEST we will have one.

There’s a whole hell of a lot that goes into initially creating a vaccine. This initial process takes a lot of time, and it takes a very high number of resources. Which also means, it takes A LOT of money. From estimations, a vaccine can cost upwards of 2 billion dollars to fully fund. And from what I understand, that isn’t necessarily for a vaccine that is fully tested and proven to be effective. Which brings me to the next point, extensive testing. (To clarify, personally I don’t care how much money or resources it takes. But unfortunately that isn’t how the world operates).

I oversimplified the initial creation process, but that alone takes so much testing and trail and error. They have to be as sure as possible that it’s safe to even start human trials.

Anthony Fauci, the longtime director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (N.I.A.I.D.), said “A vaccine that you make and start testing in a year is not a vaccine that’s deployable. The earliest it would be deployable is in a year to a year and a half, no matter how fast you go.”

A covid-19 vaccine developed, licensed, and manufactured at a global scale in twelve months would be an unprecedented, remarkable, even revolutionary achievement. No other vaccine has come close to being developed that quickly.

Certain officials do not understand that “being in people,” as in human trials, is not the same as having a product. Clinical trials are conducted on healthy people, which is inherently challenging. “You certainly don’t want a vaccine that can make it worse,” Shiver said. “There have been some vaccine candidates historically that could actually enhance the disease.” Sanofi is working with the United States Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, a sort of biomedical darpa, to advance a covid-19 vaccine based largely on the vaccine candidate it had developed for sars. Shiver told me that the authority doesn’t expect to have anything ready for human trials until much later this year. “It’s difficult,” Shiver said, “to see how, even in the case of an emergency, a vaccine could be fully ready for licensure in a year and a half.”

So much goes into vaccines. As stated above, having one that is “fully ready to go”, meaning one that has been reliably tested in its efficacy, and that has been tested to be safe for human consumption, within a year is unheard of, to be clear.

I’m not saying this to freak anyone out. But I don’t want anyone to have faulty expectations of there being a vaccine “soon”.

To read the full article in which I have taken quotes from, here it is: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/how-long-will-it-take-to-develop-a-coronavirus-vaccine/amp

More on the history of vaccines and the development: https://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/vaccine-development-testing-and-regulation
Vaccines are already being tested on humans but they say we're still at least a year away from one being available to the public and any complications could delay that even more.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-26/first-look-at-moderna-covid-19-vaccine-may-take-two-more-months

MKF30

Leo if he didn't carr then why did he help us in NYS? He ans Cuomo don't like each other but both put aside their politics for the greater good...so I'd have to respectfully disagree. And hes giving us money which he did not have to do technically. Its definitely going to help me and millions of others I'm aure.

@Juggs yeah I know, long ass time. Its unfortunate. At least we can learn more as time goes on. Yeah de. Fauci is pretty cool, he likes to tell it how it is with the million interviews he does. hes all over the place as is dr. Oz I think. Some people hate him though lol.

Our state has stepped up. And I've personally given all I have -- my job and 100% of my income, any savings I had soon, and possibly my career depending on how things recover. I've been at home for two weeks straight and our Governor is questioning why we can't get a Federal order for basic supplies.

I would like to know that we have leadership who is interested in clamping down properly to get this over with as fast as possible -- and not prolonging things by relaxing restrictions on Easter because "People want to go back to work". Lots of us are doing our part, but the Federal govt. has the power to undo much of it by being rash instead of listening to widely available scientific evidence.
I know how you feel about the president I may not agree but since weve been thru all that already, id like to focus on the positives here. You gotta admit deblasio and cuomo both who are stubborn need to stop bitching and step up. They
need to put aside their differences for the best of new Yorkers and work with trump instead of blaming.

Cuomo had talks with Trump but deblasio tried to add friction which Cuomo did not like. Even his own brother chris who also tried to get him to slam trump didn't recently in a tv interview....my point is trump and Cuomo for past the politics of it for new yorkers, now if everyone else could do that wed be in a better situation. Weve handled it average, as far as nys, namely nyc. Maybe upstate has been better but here ha...deblasio is idiot andhypocrite. Dude tells us to stay in the goes ton the gym..hes a joke. I know this because I'm out in so nyc, the borough mr.bonehesd mayor tends to ignore among other things so he could do more. But even the other boroughs hate him. He and cuomo.need to stop blaming trump already, trump sent moreventilators, supplies but when Cuomo was recently asked he said and I quite "we don't need them right now" wtf dude? Lol you call that leadership? That his job, not trumps.

With trump, I think the whole Easter thing was him hoping to let families be together and people get back to work by then since it's a big deal. I've been out of work at one point in my life for 10 years as far as steady on the books jobs and that was not under trump. Once he got in I got tons of tons of offers. Interviews, I had options and choices. So while you have your opinions I also mine. Everyone tends to vote due to not just their beliefs but personal experiences with whoever is elected. Like I live in the city, ask any new Yorker here nobody likes deblasio and hes done nothing for this city what so ever. You're upstate right? You're luckier, at least cuomo isn't completely idioitic. Lol not even cuomo likes him.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that man. Seriously, that sucks.

If you’re not getting your vitamins from regular food (a healthy balanced diet preferably), I’d imagine vitamins and/or supplements are probably better than nothing. But of course, you would know better than me what your body needs with your condition. Be safe out there bro.
Thanks, and yeah, that's what the supplements are for, as per my doc. I take a multivitamin, a Vitamin D pill, a Calcium supplement, a probiotic, and I drink a bottle of Ensure Plus a day.

Outside of potatoes, I can't do much in the way of fruits and vegetables as my body simply can't break those down properly. So even if I do eat them, I get very sick and don't absorb the nutrients anyway.

Basically, I eat lean meats (mostly chicken, turkey, and a small amount of fish), potatoes (mashed, baked, fries, and lots of chips for calories), white rice, a very, very limited selection of pasta, a lot of basic sandwiches, some cookies, crackers, etc. Interestingly, I'm under doctor's orders to eat burgers for the iron the beef gives, since pure iron supplements don't go well with me.

Also interestingly, my annual physical always comes back great despite eating like crap, which blows my mind! The downer is my energy level is always crap, but my doc tells me that's a result of the disease itself and he's only ever seen patients regain good energy if they've been in successful remission for years.

MKF30

It is a shame, so many lives lost to CV, gives me bad memories of 9/11 where 3000+ lives where wiped out in less than a 24 hour period...

My condolences to everywhere worldwide who've lost their lives to this.

Last edited:

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Ireland gone from the suggested soft lockdown was doing to inforced lockdown from midnight tonight till April 12th
My county in GA, Gwinnett County, is issuing a stay-at-home order tonight at midnight as well. Only can go out for essentials, and only essential workers are allowed to work. It’s bitter sweet being an “essential worker”. I obviously need the money, but I really don’t even want to leave the house at a time like this.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
My college classes will be online for the rest of the semester. RIP. The stay at home order in new mexico could POTENTIALLY end on April 10th (I think our governor will extend this) and at that point the college will consider opening up things like the testing center and gym which would be nice but I'd understand if they didnt.