What's new

Coronavirus (Covid-19) Discussion

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
You have been a member since 2010 and it took you a decade to realize that most people on TYM are very liberal? LOL.

Nonetheless, I believe the criticism for Trump's response to the virus is fair, but when certain individuals make Nazi references, they lose me because they reveal their partisanship.
I'm not really liberal or conservative, I think Trump has done an awful job responding to the virus and is a terrible person in general. Drawing Hitler / Nazi comparisons is so insulting to the people killed by the Nazis though. I dont think Karaokelove was being particularly insulting and his posts were mostly funny with some solid and well researched information, but I have seen other people in real life make this comparison. There is quite a gap between being a bad person and being fuckin Adolf Hitler.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I'm not really liberal or conservative, I think Trump has done an awful job responding to the virus and is a terrible person in general. Drawing Hitler / Nazi comparisons is so insulting to the people killed by the Nazis though. I dont think Karaokelove was being particularly insulting and his posts were mostly funny with some solid and well researched information, but I have seen other people in real life make this comparison. There is quite a gap between being a bad person and being fuckin Adolf Hitler.
You have been a member since 2010 and it took you a decade to realize that most people on TYM are very liberal? LOL.

Nonetheless, I believe the criticism for Trump's response to the virus is fair, but when certain individuals make Nazi references, they lose me because they reveal their partisanship.
I think what you guys aren’t getting is that the comparisons aren’t meant to equal the severity of what the Nazis did — but rather, the mentality that allowed Fascism to grow and exist in the first place.

Which is that we sit by and watch while someone assumes more and more control, represses their opponents methodically until dissenting powers are silenced, invents their own reality, and convinces people that they are being liberated from an imagined threat by marginalizing others and putting their own interests above the rights and survival of other people.

Anyone who takes an honest look at the conditions that allowed those dictators to rise to power and thrive (or even at today’s strongmen who are attempting to do similar things in other countries with major human rights issues) will see the glaring similarities in methodology. And that’s where those comparisons come from.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I think what you guys aren’t getting is that the comparisons aren’t meant to equal the severity of what the Nazis did — but rather, the mentality that allowed Fascism to grow and exist in the first place.

Which is that we sit by and watch while someone assumes more and more control, represses their opponents methodically until dissenting powers are silenced, invents their own reality, and convinces people that they are being liberated from an imagined threat by marginalizing others and putting their own interests above the rights and survival of other people.

Anyone who takes an honest look at the conditions that allowed those dictators to rise to power and thrive (or even at today’s strongmen who are attempting to do similar things in other countries with major human rights issues) will see the glaring similarities in methodology. And that’s where those comparisons come from.
Did liberals also compare Obama to a Nazi when he killed two U.S. citizens with drone strikes? What about killing civilians in certain middle-eastern countries with drone strikes? And if liberals care about undocumented immigrants, why did Obama deport more of them than Bush Sr. did?

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way

I understand the point the comparisons are making, it's not like it's just going over my head lol. I think there is nothing wrong with pointing out the spread of fascist ideology, but going full NAZI and drawing comparisons to the group responsible for the greatest atrocity in human history is insane.

I understand the point the comparisons are making, it's not like it's just going over my head lol. I think there is nothing wrong with pointing out the spread of fascist ideology, but going full NAZI and drawing comparisons to the group responsible for the greatest atrocity in human history is insane.
Okay we'll just use Stalin or Mussolini instead. XD

Marlow

Premium Supporter
Premium Supporter
Did liberals also compare Obama to a Nazi when he killed two U.S. citizens with drone strikes? What about killing civilians in certain middle-eastern countries with drone strikes? And if liberals care about undocumented immigrants, why did Obama deport more of them than Bush Sr. did?
There are plenty of liberals who object to those things, and did so at the time.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
You say "killed US citizens" as if the point was to kill random people. The incident you're referring to involves a terrorist. If we allow police to shoot people who post a threat to others' lives, why would we not allow the military to target a terrorist who is a US citizen but has moved abroad in order to threaten the US?

Also, I'm not in favor of either war or killing civilians. But when terrorists purposely hide among civilians to stay alive so they can kill other people and blow things up, it's a tough situation. It's intentionally misusing the theater of war.

The way you say these things though is as if the military just picks out a couple of random civilians to kill for kicks because it's fun. You're misrepresenting the situations that are presenting tough choices to people on the front lines.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
considering MK30 got banned for discussing politics on this thread
Been busy as usual and haven’t been able to read this thread hardly at all. But saw this, and to clarify, that isn’t why MKF was banned. MKF got infractions that in total added up to equal an automatic temporary ban. Had nothing to do with “discussing politics”. 99% of users don’t get outright banned on the spot, it’s usually an accumulation of infractions that end up leading to a ban based on infraction number totals. Also, infraction points expire after a couple of months. So, you have to constantly and consistently break the rules and ignore moderators in order to actually get banned. Aside from that, you only get on the spot outright banned for very obvious things like serious physical threats, overtly purposeful bigotry, etc.

Just wanted to clear that up because I’ve seen a lot of misinformation about it.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator
I hate to say this since my post about Trump's decisions regarding the Coronavirus relief fund prompted all this, but considering MK30 got banned for discussing politics on this thread, we should probably drop the current topic and get back to discussions that are directly related to the epidemic.
For some reason every time you bring up Trump/something related to the way that he's handling and talking about the crisis, certain people want to bring up Obama and make a false equivalency from something years ago that has nothing to do with Covid. It's like clockwork.

I think it's been said a couple of times in this thread already, but the goal isn't to bar people from discussing politics, it's just to keep them generally relevant to what the thread is about. And to keep the tone conversational rather than shoveling in a bunch of conspiracy nonsense and Facebook-style inflammatory accusations.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
There are plenty of liberals who object to those things, and did so at the time.
Yes, liberals with principles did. Liberals who were partisan and fans of Obama did not.

You say "killed US citizens" as if the point was to kill random people. The incident you're referring to involves a terrorist. If we allow police to shoot people who post a threat to others' lives, why would we not allow the military to target a terrorist who is a US citizen but has moved abroad in order to threaten the US?
Actually, nothing is known about the incident as the Obama administration withheld this information, forever deemed classified, from the public.

Also, I'm not in favor of either war or killing civilians. But when terrorists purposely hide among civilians to stay alive so they can kill other people and blow things up, it's a tough situation. It's intentionally misusing the theater of war.

The way you say these things though is as if the military just picks out a couple of random civilians to kill for kicks because it's fun. You're misrepresenting the situations that are presenting tough choices to people on the front lines.
I am aware of the difficult decisions that have to made in the circumstances that you have described. My original point was going to be that both the republican as well as the democratic party engage in constitutionally illegal activities. In the case of war, one side, the republicans, or at least a majority of them, are actively promoting war without Congress's declaration. Democrats, on the other hand, are deceiving the public and playing the non-interventionism card on television yet arguing for the exact same thing as republicans behind closed doors.

For some reason every time you bring up Trump/something related to the way that he's handling and talking about the crisis, certain people want to bring up Obama and make a false equivalency from something years ago that has nothing to do with Covid. It's like clockwork.

I think it's been said a couple of times in this thread already, but the goal isn't to bar people from discussing politics, it's just to keep them generally relevant to what the thread is about. And to keep the tone conversational rather than shoveling in a bunch of conspiracy nonsense and Facebook-style inflammatory accusations.
Whether partisanship is coming from democrats or republicans, I dislike political fanatics. While Trump has undoubtedly downplayed this virus for political reasons, he is no Nazi or Adolf Hitler. Amazingly, you have defended this comparison.

To me, many of you sound like some of the delusional and paranoid tea party people who used to call Obama all kinds of names except that you are on the opposite side of the political spectrum.

Use herb?

YES •
NO

t vurus I mean coronavurus be gone
Bonus points if you're one of the lucky guys like Wesker who turn into a super human, just hope you aren't the unlucky ones where you turn into something like Birkin, a cancerous blob wanting to incest your own kids.

Man Resident Evil is weird and anime-ish.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
hmm i got baned in last 16bit thread (Trans/pronoums) and it was too obnx i dont even said a slur and some crybaby banned me , if i say what i know about chinese Virus i ll be removed ... but for real ?

1 - dont give power to liberals or lefts and i mean NEVER not even for digital media or games , they r fascists with crap agenda...
2 - if u wanna know the TRUTH stop palying games and read !!! about everything , dont be bias toward money or selfish about money ,sex, power & status, and u can save people from this doomed world.
3 - maybe things will get better maybe will be like mad max , just wait and prey.

#ChinaLiedPeopleDied

God Bless Us All
Before I tackle Karakolove's post, I would like to say that you are a fool, but I will always defend your right to state what is on your mind. You should not be banned again.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Before I tackle Karakolove's post...
Let's just get back to Coronavirus in this thread. If you'd like to talk other stuff, I'm happy to PM or to start a thread specifically for politcs, even though I'm sure the train wreck it would surely become would be the stuff of legend.

Cobainevermind87

Mid-match beer sipper
hmm i got baned in last 16bit thread (Trans/pronoums) and it was too obnx i dont even said a slur and some crybaby banned me , if i say what i know about chinese Virus i ll be removed ... but for real ?

1 - dont give power to liberals or lefts and i mean NEVER not even for digital media or games , they r fascists with crap agenda...
2 - if u wanna know the TRUTH stop palying games and read !!! about everything , dont be bias toward money or selfish about money ,sex, power & status, and u can save people from this doomed world.
3 - maybe things will get better maybe will be like mad max , just wait and prey.

#ChinaLiedPeopleDied

God Bless Us All
Ignoramus. Another RWNJ with broken grammar.

AREZ God of War

The Crazy BeastMaster
Just learned this morning John Prine died of the virus. Been listening to his stuff all day since ;__:

Then why are you still here? Why the fuck is this a time limited ban? Why are our mods ok with the continued existence of bigots here? Transphobes aren't welcome here- or at least they shouldn't be.
Dude, don't.... Just DON'T.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Just learned this morning John Prine died of the virus. Been listening to his stuff all day since ;__:
He was my dad's best friend's nextdoor neighbor (I'm a Nashville native). This shit is hitting close to home. I'm worried about my dad, who still doesn't take it seriously and up until yesterday was making fun of his friend for being too freaked out by it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Someone at the Lifecare center here tested positive, this is what I was seriously most afraid of. I hope they were more prepared than the Lifecare in Washington that got hit. I got to know some of these people, I hope they survive this.

Take a second and think about being very very old with end stage dementia, how the fuck are you supposed to understand that a deadly virus can kill you because of a market in China? The only thing worse than coronavirus is being extremely vulnerable to it and not being able to understand what it is or why you're vulnerable to it.

Last edited: