What's new

Breakthrough Confirmed Details on Changes to Shazam!

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Well unless they made B23 safe it probably isn't that great. B2 xx HM got us a combo anyway plus it's harder to punish.

B2 by itself always got us a combo in the corner too.
What if by an increase in range he means like Grundy's WC range?

Would he still be terrible?

(I ask because Idk anything about Shazam)

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Well unless they made B23 safe it probably isn't that great. B2 xx HM got us a combo anyway plus it's harder to punish.

B2 by itself always got us a combo in the corner too.

Maybe it's safe now.

It has better range than b2 so if it can combo, I'll use it (also the AA hitbox is huge).

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
like over half screen range 11 frame command grab? I guess that would be pretty OP
Just saying, you never know how much they mean by "increase"

I will bite my tongue until after the patch though because like I said before, I have little to know knowledge or experience with Shazam.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Not the best list of changes for Shazam, but meh, let's be slightly positive here.

b23 is a given major improvement. As unsafe as the move is, having an actual meterless juggle opportunity is good, regardless.

HM range increase could be interesting. An 11f punisher with more range than before is always a plus, especially considering stubby normal range on normals under 20f was a big issue. I wouldn't be surprised if the range was increased to somewhat match b2 lol. If that's the case...wheeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

You can't ever go wrong with more damage lol, so both are welcome here. I wonder if the MB versions are affected, as well.

Very curious as to how this plays out. GL may be my favorite superhero, period, but Shazam is too fun not to use, regardless of his holes.

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
Shazam's b23 is probably one of the best anti-poking strings in the game along with Batman's B23 and Superman cursed F23. Giving Shazam a combo opportunity off B23 is huge imo. Plus its an overhead combo starter with really good priorities and excellent range.

jaym7018

Noob
Shazam's b23 is probably one of the best anti-poking strings in the game along with Batman's B23 and Superman cursed F23. Giving Shazam a combo opportunity off B23 is huge imo. Plus its an overhead combo starter with really good priorities and excellent range.
This man has a clue, congratulations.

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM

wut? It completely whiffs on crouching opponents in poking range

Metzos

You will BOW to me!
wut? It completely whiffs on crouching opponents in poking range
B23 is best used at sweep range as a mean of whiff punishing. Yes, having an ovearhead which whiffs at close range is stupid and it must be fixed, but my point was that its a move best suited at sweep range. You cant duck on reaction when its used at sweep range. My bad i phrased it wrong.

Bad Genez

Green
My question is, did they fix the gaps in the strings that make him a dangerous character to play in the first place. I don't give a shit how much damage they tacked onto his command grabs if his most viable strings are still interruptible or just plain whiff 2/3 of the time.

poofynamanama2

SHAZAAAAAAAAM
B23 is best used at sweep range as a mean of whiff punishing. Yes, having an ovearhead which whiffs at close range is stupid and it must be fixed, but my point was that its a move best suited at sweep range. You cant duck on reaction when its used at sweep range. My bad i phrased it wrong.

Haha ok that makes more sense. Yea it does have great priority, catches people out of the air all the time

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
My question is, did they fix the gaps in the strings that make him a dangerous character to play in the first place. I don't give a shit how much damage they tacked onto his command grabs if his most viable strings are still interruptible or just plain whiff 2/3 of the time.

And what's with the useless grab range buff?

The grabs are either used in combos, or when the opponent is up close to you anyway.

I can't think of one time I've needed to use Shazam's grabs and I whiffed because I couldn't reach.

Shit, no one has, I have never seen someone requesting more grab range.

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
Popups? Range? ...well if his range is now like Vice's grabs from KoF. I thought his problem was bad normals leading to getting locked down and predictable starters? Am I off here? Please someone explain Shazam.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
Lets just say, these buffs don't really help anything.

The new combo starter is okay I guess, but unless they tweaked the hitbox on it you'll be flying right over your target most of the time regardless.

Bad Genez

Green
And what's with the useless grab range buff?

The grabs are either used in combos, or when the opponent is up close to you anyway.

I can't think of one time I've needed to use Shazam's grabs and I whiffed because I couldn't reach.

Shit, no one has, I have never seen someone requesting more grab range.

This. Like I said in another thread, I'm still waiting to see what other buffs they haven't released to the public (if any) because these are clearly not the one's our tiny Shazam community has requested. He's in dire need of gap & hit fixes if they really expect for us to be able to compete at a higher level with him. This is not to say I don't appreciate what they're trying to do, but these are hardly substantial buffs when you consider what he's really lacking in.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
That image is more to hype of the casual fanbase and people who follow Boon on twitter.

If they are going to fix his strings, gaps, and corpse hoping, Boon wouldn't bother mentioning it on something like this.

So when it comes to stuff like that, I would wait for the full patch notes, I would be pretty shocked if they didn't touch up his normals, even just a little bit.