What's new

Breakthrough Confirmed Details on Changes to Shazam!

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
So...is he only supposed to be used in a manner that is completely dependent upon teleporting through mid to long range offense and then using his grab during your recovery to punish? If so thats a pretty tight thing to do. First you have to read right, then time the teleport and hit the move that can punish at the distance from your opponent you land before they recover.

I thought he was gonna get normals buffed :C
Well that and armor after reading Lobo... ;)

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
less work :).
improved range on HM is significant, if at max range b2 won't whiff - high(HM)/low(b2).
improved range on AC to make b3 - j3 - f223 - AC easier + the damage increase.
a lot of decent shazam players will appreciate this eventually.

He needs faster start and recovery on torpedo, faster projectiles, loosen the tightness on his and lobos stupid dbf and faster start up on trait! Is it just me or is banes grab input much easier than the others?

Uber

Noob
improved range on AC to make b3 - j3 - f223 - AC easier + the damage increase.

I didn't even think about that. Thats an extra 2% for the J3, then the extra damage on both the HM and the AC. Im guessing HM MB, B3, j3, f223xxAC will do about 40-42%, meaning a J2 combo will yield around 55% with a vortex follow up. Not too shabby.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

RoGE

Noob
my problem with Shazam has more to do with his terrible hitboxes and how most of his moves hit high lol

Sauron

Noob
Imo the buffs are very good. He got basicaly every super move buffed whitch will change things very much. The Atlas Torpedo now has 9% dmg and if it gets like 10-11 its gonna be much better. I would like if NRS make more buff with this patch than nerfs because the low tiers needs to get closer to the top tiers and with nerfs they just might change their places.

Duck Nation

Dicks with a future
The moment's already gone, I suppose, but I didn't get a chance to contribute earlier on something that is kind of a crucial misconception. The word "Zangief" came up in this thread, and, well... that's a problem.

I'm a little perplexed where the idea of Shazam being a grappler came from. On the most superficial of levels, okay - he throws you. But really, they're not even throws as we perceive them in terms of gameplay function, which exist to eliminate guarding the high-low game as a defense option. Against Shazam, though, that high-low game remains entirely intact. The valid defense option is still exactly the same, just in a mirror image of the usual dichotomy; i.e., if he goes low, you defend high, and if he goes high you defend low, rather than low to low and high to high, as it would be any other way. He's far more comparable to Frost than he is Grundy.

Although, funny thing is, Shazam would probably work a lot better if he was actually a grappler. Leaving all other tools the same, let's say his "throws" get replaced with a truly fast grab, something like Zangief might have. Did he just do 2,2 and you didn't avoid or escape it between hits somehow? Enjoy being thrown on your head. Hey, he's walking towards you and he's got a grab that can beat all your pokes because it's so goddamn fast! Dash away from him? Nah, Atlas Torpedo or a lightning bolt to the face. Or best of all, imagine him plodding towards you, trait active, threat of a real grab, threat of even just d1 doing several percent even on chip, threat of getting even a relatively low damage combo into a setup into another godlike grab. Sweet mother of god.

But young Mr. Batson can only dream that he will one day be as broken as Teth Adam...

it seems some players wanted an easy mode buff for Shazam. Instead they got buffs that boost the reward on good reads. You still need to outplay your opponent but now you get more reward for doing so.

Hope you guys weren't expecting a MB teleport that tracks behind the opponent or something.

D

Deleted member 9158

These are buffs he definitely did not need. I play a very good shazam on the regular, and I swear his command grabs have enough range as it is. I guess the projectile damage buff is okay though.

jaym7018

Noob
it seems some players wanted an easy mode buff for Shazam. Instead they got buffs that boost the reward on good reads. You still need to outplay your opponent but now you get more reward for doing so.

Hope you guys weren't expecting a MB teleport that tracks behind the opponent or something.
They were expecting complete invincibility to projectiles with teleport and old school deathstroke speed on his projectile and armor on his torpedo. In other words the Shazam community doesnt have much clue.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
I didn't even think about that. Thats an extra 2% for the J3, then the extra damage on both the HM and the AC. Im guessing HM MB, B3, j3, f223xxAC will do about 40-42%, meaning a J2 combo will yield around 55% with a vortex follow up. Not too shabby.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2
ikr, HM MB, B3, j3, f223xxAC is already doable but the timing + execution is kinda strict(ass) and meterless b23-combo as a whiff punish (mostly wakeup on certain characters) is kinda a big deal, even if it will only lead to 20-25% IMO more so assuming it can be ended with AC.

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
I hate being negative, but as long as the rest of the characters have very equal and viable buffs that truly make them competitive, we could wind up with another Kabal problem.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
If you want a change to get in.
I say make his projectile like a couple frames faster and make it like +100 on hit so he can dash in.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I hate being negative, but as long as the rest of the characters have very equal and viable buffs that truly make them competitive, we could wind up with another Kabal problem.
You do realize this sentence makes no sense right?

Bad Genez

Green

People asking for those stupid buffs are the people who don't even play him. They want 'easy mode buffs' for him so they can pick him up effectively and not be garbage. Anyone who plays him seriously on the regular knows that his real design flaws lie in his normal strings.

Unfortunately the majority rules, and the majority says "Shazm sux giv us invincibility n damage buffs plz lol"

TheSpore

Nurgle Chaos God of Death and Disease
You do realize this sentence makes no sense right?
It makes total sense, its great that they are giving buffs to characters that needed help, but you never know what could fall under the radar. People slept on Kabal for a long time until it was discovered what he can do. We know that SM and BA are getting the hard nerf hammer. I am only putting out that this community should be careful what they wish for.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
It makes total sense, its great that they are giving buffs to characters that needed help, but you never know what could fall under the radar. People slept on Kabal for a long time until it was discovered what he can do. We know that SM and BA are getting the hard nerf hammer. I am only putting out that this community should be careful what they wish for.
If they buff characters and make them viable then you wont have the Kabal problem. The kabal problem was known in the first months but NRS refused to nerf him. But the game engines are different enough to where no one in this game is remotely close to Kabal.

DarkPage

Noob
dont know if anybody has said this, with the increased range of grabs, what if they just made shazams b2 be able to connect with a grab even if blocked, he would have to space it right so he doesnt jump over the opponent, and he has a long range normal to a mix up.
i know this isnt a suggestiion thread but i just thought about it messing with him practice mode.