What's new

Community Concerns Regarding NEC '13

fr stack

Noob's saibot or noob saibot's?
A serious question:

Who should make the brackets for grass roots?

I really want to discuss this because with fr coming up ive said NUMEROUS times i dont want dare be near it. Shinblanka and I talked about it and i voiced my concerns and recently txted him about the nec stuff and just said "we got to avoid this and we have to get it right"

It sucks cause it has to be someone whose very knowledgeable of the scenes players. This needs to be discussed.

What shin and I discussed was forming for FR a "Elder Bracket Gods" and have 4 people from different areas (TOs, community members, etc) collectively make the pools, bracket, seeds, etc.

Thoughts?
elder gods make the brackets , its genius , at least 4 , then at least if people wanna point the finger its not just one person having to deal wit shit

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
I wanna know what the big deal is that Winter Warz being seeded under BlueNine. Sure it may be unfair but how easy does your path to top 8/top 16 need to be?
It's not about fair/unfair, it's about something that just doesn't look right. 16bit legitimately felt there was an issue here, and obviously the TO's agreed with him enough to try and make bit feel better about the situation by resolving his concerns.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
elder gods make the brackets , its genius , at least 4 , then at least if people wanna point the finger its not just one person having to deal wit shit
the idea is to have the 4 keep each other in line and keep things fair

#ChecksnBalances People

Gamma

Plays too much Civ
A serious question:

I really want to discuss this because with fr coming up ive said NUMEROUS times i dont want dare be near it. Shinblanka and I talked about it and i voiced my concerns and recently txted him about the nec stuff and just said "we got to avoid this and we have to get it right"

It sucks cause it has to be someone whose very knowledgeable of the scenes players. This needs to be discussed.

What shin and I discussed was forming for FR a "Elder Bracket Gods" and have 4 people from different areas (TOs, community members, etc) collectively make the pools, bracket, seeds, etc.

Thoughts?
I'm willing to sacrifice a tourney or two to cut this nonsense out with bracket rigging. The paranoia can be respected but when you take into account making sure regions and relatives are spread evenly on top of making sure high-level players without a true scene are also given their proper respect, no bracket will be perfect.

The only way to assure there would be 0 chance of unbalanced brackets would be to throw away the region concept and go solely by rankings but we want to play new people not the guy 40 minutes away from us. Pick your poison in my opinion.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
A serious question:

Thoughts?
Hard to say. I agree it should be a council of people. Seeding should be a no-brainer based on tournament results. Location, also a no-brainer. Apart from that, it should be random. Evo placements seemed appropriate, but they have Evo points to go off of. Maybe we should look into something like that.

CRUM

Noob
It's not about fair/unfair, it's about something that just doesn't look right. 16bit legitimately felt there was an issue here, and obviously the TO's agreed with him enough to try and make bit feel better about the situation by resolving his concerns.
I still don't understand. It doesn't matter where you're seeded you are there to play Mortal Kombat. Isn't that what it comes down to?

Dark_Rob

Noob
I'm not calling you out, man. I'm voicing the concerns of everyone at NEC, not just myself. The only difference is I have no problem coming out and saying it publicly, which IMO needs to happen. NEC is over, I don't expect to change the past, I just want attention brought to the issues at hand for future events. No more players making brackets, no more late additions, etc etc. I've talked to you many times and you should know that all of us at GGA respect you, but if the situation is shady I will call it so, and if you're caught in the middle of it by association, I am sorry. I am not directly saying you personally chose to place Riu in a later pool even though he hadn't registered and are now trying to keep it quiet. I am saying that everybody knew he was coming to play casuals, he was not registered, and suddenly he finds himself entered in the tournament after most of the pools were already done. That is what the people see. This isn't a personal attack, this is a call for changes to be made.
Alright dude. Im really trying to see it from your point of view and if it looked sketchy then all I can say is Im sorry, I never meant it to look that way. There are lots of people who knew about the arrangement RIU48 made with us before the tournament(unfortunately they are probably all sleeping right now) including Phil,Shock,CD jr,REO,Maxter,Tom Brady and JamesMK. I promise you this isnt something I just made up to stick him in the tournament, nor was I favoring RIU48. I wasnt favoring anyone. Look at those top seeds dude. Are they not the best of the best? I really tried to be as fair as possible to everyone, and I certainly would never want GGA to feel like I was trying to shaft them because I wasnt. 16Bit was the top seed in his pool because he earned it. His tournament placings earned it. The same with all the other top seeds in the pools.
I dont know man, I dont know what else to say. Im so exhausted and distraught over this.

Pig Of The Hut

Hard to say. I agree it should be a council of people. Seeding should be a no-brainer based on tournament results. Location, also a no-brainer. Apart from that, it should be random. Evo placements seemed appropriate, but they have Evo points to go off of. Maybe we should look into something like that.
Couple of thoughts and we may need a thread for this

Would it be fair to have 4 tournament players make the bracket to keep each other in line?

The 4 people would have to be 100% public

The bracket/pools would need to be released 5 days prior to tourney

Lets talk abaout this
etc etc

I'm willing to sacrifice a tourney or two to cut this nonsense out with bracket rigging. The paranoia can be respected but when you take into account making sure regions and relatives are spread evenly on top of making sure high-level players without a true scene are also given their proper respect, no bracket will be perfect.

The only way to assure there would be 0 chance of unbalanced brackets would be to throw away the region concept and go solely by rankings but we want to play new people not the guy 40 minutes away from us. Pick your poison in my opinion.
Ive thought about this as well for FR - I might sit it out if 4 cant be agreed on to make the bracket/pools

CRUM

Noob
Honestly cause WW is leaps and years beyond Bluenine

Im just keeping it real

Bluenine out of the 117 might be seeded 70-80

Doesnt play anymore anyway
He does play, and he is definitely in top 30 or 40 lol. I'm not saying this because he's from my local scene but because after not playing the game for the longest time he placed 3rd at Summer Jam. Yeah go ahead and blow me up because Raleigh was the same weekend or whatever but there were some really good players at Summer Jam. Saying he's in top 70-80 is disrespectful. And I'm not saying he was rightfully placed ahead of Winter Warz because I know that Winter Warz is one of the best players in this community. I just don't understand how this affected anything that took place in the tournament.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
Honestly, this is how I would do it:

Buy some tournament bracket software on PC. Hit the "Random" button to make brackets. And then, if necessary (or even possible), make some switching around if someone from the same team (GGA, for example) is in the same pool as their own team member.

Seriously, I still stand by what Dark Rob said earlier: It's a tournament. The entire IDEA of a tournament is to see who the better man or woman is. I understand that it sucks and might be a little lame if you had to play your own team member early on and that arrangements should be made to prevent / limit that.

But outside of that previous sentence, if you are a good player and you have to play another good player early on:

Either man the fuck up or go home. It's a tournament and you got a bad draw. It happens. Better luck next time.

Pig Of The Hut

He does play, and he is definitely in top 30 or 40 lol. I'm not saying this because he's from my local scene but because after not playing the game for the longest time he placed 3rd at Summer Jam. Yeah go ahead and blow me up because Raleigh was the same weekend or whatever but there were some really good players at Summer Jam. Saying he's in top 70-80 is disrespectful. And I'm not saying he was rightfully placed ahead of Winter Warz because I know that Winter Warz is one of the best players in this community. I just don't understand how this affected anything that took place in the tournament.
bluenine always calls himself freenine

I was going along w his joke

seriously though he isnt on WW level or seed level

I understand he made a prior arrangement but that is still no excuse to give another player privaledges over the rest of the players who showed up.

So no matter which way you look at it you are in the wrong for allowing it.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Alright dude. Im really trying to see it from your point of view and if it looked sketchy then all I can say is Im sorry, I never meant it to look that way. There are lots of people who knew about the arrangement RIU48 made with us before the tournament(unfortunately they are probably all sleeping right now) including Phil,Shock,CD jr,REO,Maxter,Tom Brady and JamesMK. I promise you this isnt something I just made up to stick him in the tournament, nor was I favoring RIU48. I wasnt favoring anyone. Look at those top seeds dude. Are they not the best of the best? I really tried to be as fair as possible to everyone, and I certainly would never want GGA to feel like I was trying to shaft them because I wasnt. 16Bit was the top seed in his pool because he earned it. His tournament placings earned it. The same with all the other top seeds in the pools.
I dont know man, I dont know what else to say. Im so exhausted and distraught over this.
It's not that GGA feels shafted over Riu being added. It didn't even affect us. There are other players that had no idea and were suddenly knocked out by someone that by appearances was able to just walk in mid-tourney. When I talked to Brady, he seemed outraged that Riu was added, so I don't know what to think.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
We need to appoint 4 -6 elders, maybe one from each region, to set up brackets. They can each make sure that:

1) seeds and previous tourney results are accounted for
2) regional players arent playng each other
3) Balance is there

4-6 people, whether playing in the tourney or not should be able to do this.

CRUM

Noob
bluenine always calls himself freenine

I was going along w his joke

seriously though he isnt on WW level or seed level
I never said he was. I simply do not understand why this of all things was an issue that considering everything else that was screwed up this past weekend.

Pig Of The Hut

I never said he was. I simply do not understand why this of all things was an issue that considering everything else that was screwed up this past weekend.
lol yea bluenine and ww is not the issue lol

Poor dudes

Gamma

Plays too much Civ
We're a small and tight knit scene. We can't risk falling apart over issues that can be resolved with a bit of self-sacrifice that we see guys like Rob and Phil already doing. If people are willing to settle for casuals in exchange for improving the tournament experience, we can make the tournament experience something to promote rather than these aftermath complaints.

Sad thing is that NEC has shown we have only come so far from ETC's complaints and issues.

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
They aren't the issue. They are the details of an issue.

Pig Of The Hut

I personally feel like after this.. no one playing in the tournament should have ANYTHING to do with brackets. This way there can be absolutely no rigging arguments and people just have to deal with it.
Definitely should be discussed

I know for a fact one thing that will happen is a lot of Dominicans in one bracket, top players in a bracket, etc etc

You could have a lot of cd jr vs pl 2nd round at majors

thats a fear

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Couple of thoughts and we may need a thread for this

Would it be fair to have 4 tournament players make the bracket to keep each other in line?

The 4 people would have to be 100% public

The bracket/pools would need to be released 5 days prior to tourney

Lets talk abaout this
etc etc

Ive thought about this as well for FR - I might sit it out if 4 cant be agreed on to make the bracket/pools
I really don't think tournament players should have any hand in it whatsoever. Let me think on it, you have my number and I have yours. I'm heading out to work soon so I'll get back to you.

Pig Of The Hut

I really don't think tournament players should have any hand in it whatsoever. Let me think on it, you have my number and I have yours. I'm heading out to work soon so I'll get back to you.
cool yea im open to anything

I just want it to be right

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Best solution:
Each team/region can only choose 1 player to send to a tournament.

Realistic solution:
Stop being so mad and get better than your teammates/friends if you wanna place higher than them.