What's new

Community Concerns Regarding NEC '13

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
After this weekend's event in Philly, it has become glaringly obvious that some changes need to be made at our community run events. Unfortunately, nobody in the community wants to speak up and be "that guy," but I don't mind, so here goes.

The first issue lies in having participating players creating pools and brackets. There is a clear conflict of interest here, and even if nothing fishy is actually going on, there's no point in leaving room for speculation. We have heard of suspected player rigging at more than one tournament, and NEC was just one more on the list. If a player notices something not right(such as BlueNine being seeded higher than w1nter warz) and points it out, he now becomes "that guy" and nothing done from this point on is going to be the correct choice. If players are moved, the player that brought it up becomes accused of rigging pools/brackets himself or just flat out being a diva/whiner/excuse maker/etc, and if no players are moved, someone else is accused of bracket rigging. People end up mad at each other or feeling slighted, and it just creates an unnecessary situation that could be easily avoided by having non-participating members of the community create pools and brackets.

My next concern lies in adding players to the tournament after registration has been closed. We saw something like this at Evo when noobe was moved to a later pool for missing his scheduled time, and twice at NEC this past weekend with Pimpuigi being added sometime midday and Riu48 being added late at night after most of the tournament was already completed. Since when is this acceptable? Riu took out a lot of players in a tournament he rightfully should have not been participating in. Consider w1nter warz possibly being seeded improperly then losing to a player that was just added to the last pool because rules apparently mean nothing. I'm sure he's at home scratching his head right now, much like I am.

The third concern is schedule. It really can't be that hard to stick to a set schedule. Keits does it. MLG does it. Why can't anybody else? Registration was kept open an extra hour for no real reason(which makes no sense, since registering/pre-registering apparently doesn't mean a thing at our tournaments), the concerns over bracket rigging took extra time(which again, could have easily been avoided) and setups were managed poorly during the event. It's not a big deal that there were 8 pools, but it's clear that there's a point about halfway through each pool where you end up waiting on matches to finish to start other matches, which means stations will be open. It would make sense to start the next pools on those open stations, but instead we waited for each set of pools to finish before starting new ones. As a result, players that thought they would be playing that evening ended up standing around all day waiting for their pools, only to be told at midnight to come back at 10am the next day. That is really an unacceptable way to treat the players that make your event what it is.

Stream station lag. I'm tired of it. Nobody else but PL will say anything about stream station lag, but I never have an issue speaking up when it's unplayable. When you have players like CD jr missing their anti-airs, you have to wonder if something is up. When I watched GGA HAN actively try to AA k-frog's jumps and fail over and over, I told Phil that it was unplayable and he needed to do something about it. I was informed that we were the only two complaining about it, so I proceeded to pull top player after top player(jr, death, curbo, brady) to confirm what I was saying, and he did what he could to take care of it, but the problem is I promise you this kind of thing will cost people matches. Part of the problem is nobody wants to ever say anything. If a lesser known player complains, they have no standing so nobody really cares, and if a top player complains, they get labeled as a diva. Another issue is I'm not so sure the streamers are bothering to look for setups that create less lag. Splitting the signal 4 or 5 ways so you can have extra monitors and projectors and whatnot are not helping. I believe I have a lagless stream setup that I will be testing this Thursday at GGA, and if it works as well as I think it will, I will forward the information to the TO's in hopes that they upgrade their setups to provide a better experience for the players. The third variable in this is the system we choose to play on. As much as the community doesn't want to switch to Xbox, I have not seen that system slow down the way the PS3 tends to. During my match with Curbo, we spent most of the time looking at each other wondering why we were even bothering. The slowdown made the game unplayable, and it was rife with grounded gasblasts, dropped combos, and missed inputs. Certain characters make it worse, like Kabal and Cyrax, putting way more stuff on the screen than the system can handle. Dealing with the input delay from the ps3 is one thing; we can prepare for that. Random slowdowns, however, can't be prepared for, and it's unfortunate when you spend the time and money to fly out to an offline tournament only to deal with lag issues. If we wanted lag we could just play online for free.

I understand that the people running these events put a lot into it, but I also feel that certain decisions end up making running the event more difficult. I think that players have always had these complains but never really seem to bring them up, or offer solutions, and instead just sweep things under the rug and write it off as standard tournament practice. I don't agree with this, and hopefully neither does the rest of the community.

cR WoundCowboy

WoundCowbae <3
After this weekend's event in Philly, it has become glaringly obvious that some changes need to be made at our community run events. Unfortunately, nobody in the community wants to speak up and be "that guy," but I don't mind, so here goes.

The first issue lies in having participating players creating pools and brackets. There is a clear conflict of interest here, and even if nothing fishy is actually going on, there's no point in leaving room for speculation. We have heard of suspected player rigging at more than one tournament, and NEC was just one more on the list. If a player notices something not right(such as BlueNine being seeded higher than w1nter warz) and points it out, he now becomes "that guy" and nothing done from this point on is going to be the correct choice. If players are moved, the player that brought it up becomes accused of rigging pools/brackets himself or just flat out being a diva/whiner/excuse maker/etc, and if no players are moved, someone else is accused of bracket rigging. People end up mad at each other or feeling slighted, and it just creates an unnecessary situation that could be easily avoided by having non-participating members of the community create pools and brackets.

My next concern lies in adding players to the tournament after registration has been closed. We saw something like this at Evo when noobe was moved to a later pool for missing his scheduled time, and twice at NEC this past weekend with Pimpuigi being added sometime midday and Riu48 being added late at night after most of the tournament was already completed. Since when is this acceptable? Riu took out a lot of players in a tournament he rightfully should have not been participating in. Consider w1nter warz possibly being seeded improperly then losing to a player that was just added to the last pool because rules apparently mean nothing. I'm sure he's at home scratching his head right now, much like I am.

The third concern is schedule. It really can't be that hard to stick to a set schedule. Keits does it. MLG does it. Why can't anybody else? Registration was kept open an extra hour for no real reason(which makes no sense, since registering/pre-registering apparently doesn't mean a thing at our tournaments), the concerns over bracket rigging took extra time(which again, could have easily been avoided) and setups were managed poorly during the event. It's not a big deal that there were 8 pools, but it's clear that there's a point about halfway through each pool where you end up waiting on matches to finish to start other matches, which means stations will be open. It would make sense to start the next pools on those open stations, but instead we waited for each set of pools to finish before starting new ones. As a result, players that thought they would be playing that evening ended up standing around all day waiting for their pools, only to be told at midnight to come back at 10am the next day. That is really an unacceptable way to treat the players that make your event what it is.

Stream station lag. I'm tired of it. Nobody else but PL will say anything about stream station lag, but I never have an issue speaking up when it's unplayable. When you have players like CD jr missing their anti-airs, you have to wonder if something is up. When I watched GGA HAN actively try to AA k-frog's jumps and fail over and over, I told Phil that it was unplayable and he needed to do something about it. I was informed that we were the only two complaining about it, so I proceeded to pull top player after top player(jr, death, curbo, brady) to confirm what I was saying, and he did what he could to take care of it, but the problem is I promise you this kind of thing will cost people matches. Part of the problem is nobody wants to ever say anything. If a lesser known player complains, they have no standing so nobody really cares, and if a top player complains, they get labeled as a diva. Another issue is I'm not so sure the streamers are bothering to look for setups that create less lag. Splitting the signal 4 or 5 ways so you can have extra monitors and projectors and whatnot are not helping. I believe I have a lagless stream setup that I will be testing this Thursday at GGA, and if it works as well as I think it will, I will forward the information to the TO's in hopes that they upgrade their setups to provide a better experience for the players. The third variable in this is the system we choose to play on. As much as the community doesn't want to switch to Xbox, I have not seen that system slow down the way the PS3 tends to. During my match with Curbo, we spent most of the time looking at each other wondering why we were even bothering. The slowdown made the game unplayable, and it was rife with grounded gasblasts, dropped combos, and missed inputs. Certain characters make it worse, like Kabal and Cyrax, putting way more stuff on the screen than the system can handle. Dealing with the input delay from the ps3 is one thing; we can prepare for that. Random slowdowns, however, can't be prepared for, and it's unfortunate when you spend the time and money to fly out to an offline tournament only to deal with lag issues. If we wanted lag we could just play online for free.

I understand that the people running these events put a lot into it, but I also feel that certain decisions end up making running the event more difficult. I think that players have always had these complains but never really seem to bring them up, or offer solutions, and instead just sweep things under the rug and write it off as standard tournament practice. I don't agree with this, and hopefully neither does the rest of the community.
But the controllers are betterz on PS3 bro, so what if the gameplay is shit. After all, gameplay doesn't matter that much :confused: (the mk community's feelings on why ps3 is better for tournaments.)

Flagg

Noob
The only slowdown I see on 360 for offline is occasionally the game slows down is LK connects with an ex bicycle, which actually makes it kinda cool, but not that other stuff.

If the PS3 has these problems, why not switch? Or is this console elitism rearing its head again?

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
The only slowdown I see on 360 for offline is occasionally the game slows down is LK connects with an ex bicicycle, which actually makes it kinda cool, but not that other stuff.

If the PS3 has these problems, why not switch? Or is this console elitism rearing its head again?
Corporate sponsorship, or corrupt practices, whichever you want to call it. If Evo is using PS3, everyone else will most likely follow suit. I think UFGT and MWC are the only two to use xbox. There may be others, but definitely not many.

GGA HAN

Galloping Ghost Arcade
But the controllers are betterz on PS3 bro, so what if the gameplay is shit. After all, gameplay doesn't matter that much :confused: (the mk community's feelings on why ps3 is better for tournaments.)
Wound, I know you're being sarcastic, but for the people that say that they can only play on a PS pad, you need to get a ps2 pad and etokki converters for both systems. Then you are set for wherever you go, and can use the same pad at EVO where they don't allow wireless controllers, period. (This should be the tournament standard if we must play on PS3).

ps3 converter: http://etokki.com/iNPiN-PS2-to-PS3-Converter

360 converter: http://etokki.com/Xtokki360

Seapeople

This one's for you
Wound, I know you're being sarcastic, but for the people that say that they can only play on a PS pad, you need to get a ps2 pad and etokki converters for both systems. Then you are set for wherever you go, and can use the same pad at EVO where they don't allow wireless controllers, period. (This should be the tournament standard if we must play on PS3).
Yeah I honestly dont see why wireless controllers are still allowed at tourneys. I remember seeing a match this weekend get interrupted by someone who apparantley didnt disconnect their controller properly. I assume that kind of thing wouldnt be possible with wired controllers

GGA soonk

ĜĞÅ §ººñ|<®©™
Yeah I honestly dont see why wireless controllers are still allowed at tourneys. I remember seeing a match this weekend get interrupted by someone who apparantley didnt disconnect their controller properly. I assume that kind of thing wouldnt be possible with wired controllers
That's correct, that did happen. I had forgotten about it. The honor system in turning off your controller just doesn't work. How we still have the same problems we've always had is mind boggling.

AssassiN

Noob
Got a feeling this thread will start up some fanboy talk but I understand where Soonk is going by switching to Xbox 360 for tournaments.
I play on my 360 all the time and sometimes go on my PS3 and it's just very different. The FPS is much better on 360 and nobody can deny that, I've never seen an X-ray on 360 with terrible FPS drops. It's not only the x-rays though, there are enough examples of general gameplay causing FPS drops.
The game feels a lot smoother and that it's made for 360 and ported to PS3.

The only argument you have for using PS3 is controller, the majority prefers the PS3 controller over a Xbox 360 controller. Nothing a converter won't solve.
Other than that it isn't possible to change what controller your controller is on 360(change your controller to controller 2 or 1), easily avoided by using wired controllers and waiting till the players unplug their controllers and leave the stage.

Xbox won't be the system of choice by TOs when Sony is the one sponsoring majority of the big events.

What console maker sponsors MLG? Sony
What console maker sponsors EVO? Sony

GL getting TOs to change to all xbox. I think even jebailey said that he stuck with PS3s because it is considerably easier to host tournaments due to game saves and the way dlc works on the PS3. Also helps that PSN+ means that some system will have VF and KOF on the system which would require less disc to manage.

The difference in gameplay is basically the reason why there should never be a big gap in console release. The xbox coming out earlier by a large margin forced devs to make it the premier system just to save cost in development. The result is that the PS3 gets a port which sucks balls.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Question here, I heard that there was a pot bonus of like 140$ or something, and on stream Phil said that they were probably going to give it to UMK3, is that true?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
Evo doesnt allow it neither should grass roots

FTR final round doesnt allow it

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
I think even jebailey said that he stuck with PS3s because it is considerably easier to host tournaments due to game saves and the way dlc works on the PS3.
The Cloud save shit fixes this issue on xbox, Canada Cup uses all Xbox only for all it's games, and they used one save for all the systems and it worked.

Even SF and Marvel run better on Xbox,