What's new

Comic Book fans of TYM.

Z-911-Z

Bone and Metal
Its nothing like Teen Titans IMO. The biggest distinction is the Young Justice teams up with the Justice league often.
Awesome, I'll have to setup my DVR then for it. Thanks for the heads up for it, I tend to always love DCU shows. I'm kinda hoping the new GL series is decent, it needs to rebound off that crappy film adaption.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I used to be a huge comic geek. I'd leave work early every Wednesday to go to our local comic shop "Starbase" with like 2 other guys and we'd each spend like 80 bucks on comics.

My favorites were:

Spawn
Wolverine
The Darkness
Witchblade
Xmen
JLA
Verotika (Don't ask)

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
never got into comic books, but I enjoy some graphic novel series:

-Scott Pilgrim
-Frank Miller's Sin City
Those are both pretty awesome lol.

@K7LEETHA I love Spawn, I just would have no idea where to start reading, not to mention now that Al isn't Spawn anymore I kind of don't know how the new chick is, or if she would be cool or not.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Nice Carnage drawing. Comic art is amazing. I used to draw a bunch of comic stuff, I'll have to find some and post here. Greg Capullo is the best comic artist. His pencils with Todd McFarlane's inks are sublime.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Nice Carnage drawing. Comic art is amazing. I used to draw a bunch of comic stuff, I'll have to find some and post here. Greg Capullo is the best comic artist. His pencils with Todd McFarlane's inks are sublime.
Greg Capullo is GODLIKE!! I think he is drawing Batman right now if I'm not mistaken. My favorite artist is Jim Lee atm. I loved his work in Hush and also what he is doing with the new Justice League stuff is just amazing, it's all so detailed and I love that he has to draw it all so far ahead in advance because he puts so much work into it.

Squeaker101

Show me what you can do
I don't read much comics, only manga. (though if you could direct me to a comic book website to read them, I'd be more than happy to read them) Sadly, I've only watched the Marvel movies.

Favorites:
Iron Man - Hilarious, I'd watch them over and over.
Spider Man - Used to be my favorite, then Iron Man came along.
X-Men - It was great, probably my gramps favorite. He has all the movies.

DC:
Batman - My old hero. I loved his icon, how he was really mysterious,. (he's super power is his intelligence)

I read a few comics when I was a kid. But I was more into gaming, if I wasn't gaming, I was reading Mickey Mouse and stuff.

I only remember Super Man vs. Flash. It was really cool, they were challlenged by some little dood to see who was the fastest man in ther world. Flash won.

I'd be more than happy to delve into the comic book world.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I don't read much comics, only manga. (though if you could direct me to a comic book website to read them, I'd be more than happy to read them) Sadly, I've only watched the Marvel movies.

Favorites:

DC:
Batman - My old hero. I loved his icon, how he was really mysterious,. (he's super power is his intelligence)

I read a few comics when I was a kid. But I was more into gaming, if I wasn't gaming, I was reading Mickey Mouse and stuff.

I only remember Super Man vs. Flash. It was really cool, they were challlenged by some little dood to see who was the fastest man in ther world. Flash won.

I don't know of any websites except for the official DC and Marvel sites, but if you to read anything good and recent you have to pay for it.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

Favorites:

DC:

I don't know of any websites except for the official DC and Marvel sites, but if you to read anything good and recent you have to pay for it.

Flagg

Noob
Joker8417, nice thread.

Im a rabid reader and while I read a lot of books, I still get occasional comics. Years ago I was a massive comic book fan and I dont know if Marvel and DC just started to suck or if I "woke up", because I think Marvel and DC comics are absolutely dreadful. It's funny I saw this thread, because I came across an old Fantastic Four comic this morning. It was issue 49 and it was where that cosmic character, Abraxas, was killing Galactus' in other realities (this is obviously going back some years now). I read through it and I thought "the script and dialogue for this is just terrible" so yeah, I think I might have just grown out of it. But back then, I thought this stuff was great. Great artwork, Salvador Larroca was always good, but terrible writing. I think the last good Marvel writing were the early "Ultimate" titles. And of course, The Punisher by Garth Ennis.

Comics I do read at the moment are The Boys and Crossed: Badlands. As you might see, im a huge Garth Ennis fan. At one point I thought Preacher was the best thing ever, but Ennis work on The Punisher changed everything. Frank is the only Marvel character I like. Punisher MAX ending genuinely got me bummed out but it's the only way it was going to end for him, and to be fair, Jason Aaron did a fair job after Ennis left the series. That said I HIGHLY recommend picking up the tpb's of The Slavers and Long, Cold, Dark. Possibly the two greatest story arcs i've ever read. So gritty and dark.

Other worthy mentions, Alan Moore. Never really read much of his stuff, but I picked up Neonomican recently. I got it mostly because Jacen Burrows is a great artist, but I can see why Moore is very highly praised. I'm very much a fan of British comic writers over American ones. Pat Mills was brilliant, the stuff he did in 2000 AD was epic. Judge Dread, Nemesis, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, The ABC Warriors. The stories and characters were so good. Other comics I loved as a kid was the UK version of Transformers and ZOIDS. ZOIDS was great. It was about a group of humans looking for other worlds and they find what they think is a derelict world, only to find it's full of androids that pilot these massive war machines that resemble dinosaurs, animals and insects. It's a huge civil war between the Blue and Red zoids with the humans struggling to survive. The characters of Namer and Silverman were really good and well writen. If you want to see how good ZOIDS were, go here where you can someone has kindly uploaded all the comics and annuals online:
http://www.zoidstar.com/comics.html (very old school stuff, but well worth an hour or two of reading with some nice old school artwork by various artists)

The only comics i'll really read today are the adult themed ones. Anything by Ennis or Moore is usually a winner (Neil Gaiman is also very good), but I still enjoy reading old 2000 AD stories, ZOIDS, transformers, which is strange considering how I find Marvel Comics now, and back then, such awful, awful writing.

The Boys issue 65 was one of the best comics i'd read in awhile. A dark satire on Marvel and DC super hero comics, this issue could easily have been The Boys finale! What Ennis has in store for another 6 issues, I have no idea.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Joker8417, nice thread.

Im a rabid reader and while I read a lot of books, I still get occasional comics. Years ago I was a massive comic book fan and I dont know if Marvel and DC just started to suck or if I "woke up", because I think Marvel and DC comics are absolutely dreadful. It's funny I saw this thread, because I came across an old Fantastic Four comic this morning. It was issue 49 and it was where that cosmic character, Abraxas, was killing Galactus' in other realities (this is obviously going back some years now). I read through it and I thought "the script and dialogue for this is just terrible" so yeah, I think I might have just grown out of it. But back then, I thought this stuff was great. Great artwork, Salvador Larroca was always good, but terrible writing. I think the last good Marvel writing were the early "Ultimate" titles. And of course, The Punisher by Garth Ennis.

Comics I do read at the moment are The Boys and Crossed: Badlands. As you might see, im a huge Garth Ennis fan. At one point I thought Preacher was the best thing ever, but Ennis work on The Punisher changed everything. Frank is the only Marvel character I like. Punisher MAX ending genuinely got me bummed out but it's the only way it was going to end for him, and to be fair, Jason Aaron did a fair job after Ennis left the series. That said I HIGHLY recommend picking up the tpb's of The Slavers and Long, Cold, Dark. Possibly the two greatest story arcs i've ever read. So gritty and dark.

Other worthy mentions, Alan Moore. Never really read much of his stuff, but I picked up Neonomican recently. I got it mostly because Jacen Burrows is a great artist, but I can see why Moore is very highly praised. I'm very much a fan of British comic writers over American ones. Pat Mills was brilliant, the stuff he did in 2000 AD was epic. Judge Dread, Nemesis, Slaine, Rogue Trooper, The ABC Warriors. The stories and characters were so good. Other comics I loved as a kid was the UK version of Transformers and ZOIDS. ZOIDS was great. It was about a group of humans looking for other worlds and they find what they think is a derelict world, only to find it's full of androids that pilot these massive war machines that resemble dinosaurs, animals and insects. It's a huge civil war between the Blue and Red zoids with the humans struggling to survive. The characters of Namer and Silverman were really good and well writen. If you want to see how good ZOIDS were, go here where you can someone has kindly uploaded all the comics and annuals online:
http://www.zoidstar.com/comics.html (very old school stuff, but well worth an hour or two of reading with some nice old school artwork by various artists)

The only comics i'll really read today are the adult themed ones. Anything by Ennis or Moore is usually a winner (Neil Gaiman is also very good), but I still enjoy reading old 2000 AD stories, ZOIDS, transformers, which is strange considering how I find Marvel Comics now, and back then, such awful, awful writing.

The Boys issue 65 was one of the best comics i'd read in awhile. A dark satire on Marvel and DC super hero comics, this issue could easily have been The Boys finale! What Ennis has in store for another 6 issues, I have no idea.
Thanks! Like I said I really just enjoy talking to people who love comics as much as I do, so I figured I would see if some of the fine people on this sight liked to read anything special.I just recently started reading The Punisher and it's fantastic. I honestly have only cared for a few titled until the DC reboot and Marvel finally started trying out better things instead of rebooting the same character's story over and over and over. I have heard that Crossed is just too good, I have a preview issude of it but have not gotten around to reading it yet. However I haven't heard of the boys, it might be something worth looking into. As far as writers go, some of my favorites Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, Rick Remender, and Matt Fraction.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I read all the X-Books, except New Mutants and Generation Hope lol. They've all been really good since Schism especially Wolverine & The X-Men.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I read all the X-Books, except New Mutants and Generation Hope lol. They've all been really good since Schism especially Wolverine & The X-Men.
I agree wolverine and the x-man has been my favorite x-men title as well.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

quandaghost

kung lao swag walker

all the ones i have done personally. Im glad to see everyone loves the wolverine and the x-men comics. I wish they would bring the cartoon back

Flagg

Noob
Thanks! Like I said I really just enjoy talking to people who love comics as much as I do, so I figured I would see if some of the fine people on this sight liked to read anything special.I just recently started reading The Punisher and it's fantastic. I honestly have only cared for a few titled until the DC reboot and Marvel finally started trying out better things instead of rebooting the same character's story over and over and over. I have heard that Crossed is just too good, I have a preview issude of it but have not gotten around to reading it yet. However I haven't heard of the boys, it might be something worth looking into. As far as writers go, some of my favorites Geoff Johns, Scott Snyder, Rick Remender, and Matt Fraction.
Make sure you get the first series of Crossed first by Garth Ennis. It's the most brutal and shocking comic series ive ever read. It also leaves you somewhat depressed but you cant help but read more. There was a second series called Crossed: Family Values by David Lapham which wasn't too bad. Lapham also did a third series called Crossed: Psychopath, which I didn't care for. Terrible artwork. Crossed: Badlands is really good from what i've read so far.

The Boys is a comic book series about what would the world be like if Super Heroes really did exist and were celebrities. It shows how most of them are vile, amoral assholes that look down on normal people, somewhat like most celebrities likely do. Of course, having the power of someone like Super Man or The Thing means you could do very damaging things, which is where "The Boys" come in. A CIA backed group of super powered guys that keep Super Heroes "in check". It's really good, and the character of The Homelander is very well written. Never so much have I wanted to see a bad guy die so much. I think when you connect with characters like that, it's a sign of really good writing. The comic as well is a huge parody on Marvel and DC comics with lots of characters obviously immitating other Marvel and DC characters.