What's new

CoD:Modern Warfare 3 (MW3)

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
Of course they were all different. But not necessarily with the way the game looks (outside of graphics upgrades) and the general atmosphere of the game. Each game had different modifications to it with improvement in mind. It's the same for modern warfare.
No I hear you but MW is a lot more similar than Halo was. But that also has a lot to do with the fact that MW has always been in the new gen while Halo started off in last gen (Xbox, GC, PS2) and moved onto the new gen (XB360, Wii, PS3).

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
The eb and flow of the maps can be so random at times. I think this is my only complaint... but I think that is more me not knowing all the maps. I only tend to play an hour at a time... so i may see the same map twice.

Mosp

Noob
I don't like that argument. It's a military shooter that's part of a trilogy. Of course it's going to be like the previous 2 games in the trilogy, but way more improved. That's like saying don't buy gears of war 3 because it's similar to 1 and 2. Or don't buy halo reach because it's similar to halo 1, 2, and 3. Or don't buy Skyrim because it's similar to oblivion and morrowind.

This game is way more balanced than the previous ones with way more options. It's the best modern warfare in the trilogy.
Just because it's part of a series or trilogy doesn't mean they can't add more mechanics to the game and what exactly did they improve this time around? This is the same concept as madden, same game every year but with updated stats and the game mechanics are still the same as they were years ago. The last thing I have to say is Skyrim is similar to Oblivion? lol

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Just because it's part of a series or trilogy doesn't mean they can't add more mechanics to the game and what exactly did they improve this time around? This is the same concept as madden, same game every year but with updated stats and the game mechanics are still the same as they were years ago. The last thing I have to say is Skyrim is similar to Oblivion? lol
you are right. How do you re design gun play? You don't. They have a good formula (for a fast paced FPS). The problem they had with MW2 was a few broken aspects. They ridded that, and they added a ton of depth. They also made changes to a few of the gameplay aspects. You sound like a glass half empty person.

Comparing it to Madden? Madden has a hard time because football is a major TEAM sport. But the player can only control one person at a time. So they have to have the AI control everyone else... which leads to routes and defenses that are "robotic" in nature. Football itself is not, it is an ever flowing game of changes and adjustments... that you just can not do in the game. Basically If you are playing your friend, you can watch THEIR player and assume what everyone else is doing.

These two games are totally different... and I don't see how you could even say they spit the same game out.

Korpse

PTH | Korpse
you are right. How do you re design gun play? You don't. They have a good formula (for a fast paced FPS). The problem they had with MW2 was a few broken aspects. They ridded that, and they added a ton of depth. They also made changes to a few of the gameplay aspects. You sound like a glass half empty person.

Comparing it to Madden? Madden has a hard time because football is a major TEAM sport. But the player can only control one person at a time. So they have to have the AI control everyone else... which leads to routes and defenses that are "robotic" in nature. Football itself is not, it is an ever flowing game of changes and adjustments... that you just can not do in the game. Basically If you are playing your friend, you can watch THEIR player and assume what everyone else is doing.

These two games are totally different... and I don't see how you could even say they spit the same game out.
Not to mention that Madden has ABSOLUTELY NO competition, Infinity Ward and Sledgehammer had to really work at this game so it could compete with another

Mt. Mutombo

Asshole by nature
Not to get off topic but all the Halo's were different. The order I enjoy the game play in would be 1, Reach, 2, 3 and we don't count ODST as a halo game lol.
ok...mw discussion over... You seriously prefer reach's gameplay over 2 and 3? I kinda don't like you now. 3 will always be my favorite the ranked system imho has been the best ranking system in any fps i've played. Only great players were generals in their original accounts

I will agree on odst not being halo, i bought it for the reach beta lol and to get the vidmaster achievements lol.

Mosp

Noob

I'm comparing the two not because they are similar genres but because they have the same marketing principle. They release a new one every year and it has little added than the previous versions. And the problem with Madden has nothing to do with the player controlling 1 person, it lacks in important features which were in football games 6 years ago.

If you want to look at improving an FPS game just look at the older Call of Duty games and their evolution. The most notable difference will probably be from CoD3 to CoD4 Modern Warfare which switched from WW2 to modern day and added tons of new things to the series such as killstreaks, a better leveling system, a ton of new modes, the addition of perks, and a whole new game engine.

The new Call of Duty is pretty similar if not identical to its predecessor with new maps and slight modifications to existing weapons.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I'm comparing the two not because they are similar genres but because they have the same marketing principle. They release a new one every year and it has little added than the previous versions. And the problem with Madden has nothing to do with the player controlling 1 person, it lacks in important features which were in football games 6 years ago.

If you want to look at improving an FPS game just look at the older Call of Duty games and their evolution. The most notable difference will probably be from CoD3 to CoD4 Modern Warfare which switched from WW2 to modern day and added tons of new things to the series such as killstreaks, a better leveling system, a ton of new modes, the addition of perks, and a whole new game engine.

The new Call of Duty is pretty similar if not identical to its predecessor with new maps and slight modifications to existing weapons.
Kill streaks are entirely different which changes the multiplayer quite a bit. And not necessarily what the kill streaks ARE (there are some new ones) as much as how you earn them and use them now. There's way more options as far as that goes. The gun leveling system is completely new and awesome as well. Not to mention a bunch of new modes, gun sway,

There's not a whole lot anybody WANTED them to change. I think they were going less towards revolutionizing the FPS genre and more towards creating the most balanced/competitive call of duty yet. And I respect it for what it is.

uhhhh you can easily re design gunplay, especially if you're a developer in that field. Have you not seen Quake? even halo has evolved since the first one quite considerably. MW3 is almost in every way a step backwards from MW1 in the competitive sense.

Kill streaks are entirely different which changes the multiplayer quite a bit. And not necessarily what the kill streaks ARE (there are some new ones) as much as how you earn them and use them now. There's way more options as far as that goes. The gun leveling system is completely new and awesome as well. Not to mention a bunch of new modes, gun sway,

There's not a whole lot anybody WANTED them to change. I think they were going less towards revolutionizing the FPS genre and more towards creating the most balanced/competitive call of duty yet. And I respect it for what it is.
The most balance/competitive COD with aim-helper and killstreaks stacking? yaok

edit
Also only dedicated servers on unranked games rofl
http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2011/11/09/3360261.htm
http://www.gamefront.com/modern-warfare-3-will-have-dedicated-servers-but-only-for-unranked-matches/

CptXecution

Brain Dead Bro
ok...mw discussion over... You seriously prefer reach's gameplay over 2 and 3? I kinda don't like you now. 3 will always be my favorite the ranked system imho has been the best ranking system in any fps i've played. Only great players were generals in their original accounts

I will agree on odst not being halo, i bought it for the reach beta lol and to get the vidmaster achievements lol.
I wasn't talking about the ranking system but yes I do agree that Halo 3 had a great ranking system but the game engine might as well been the book "Halo for dummies" no offense to anyone. It was their first game on the 360 so I think that's why and ODST was just all wrong, Wars was a nice change of pace and Reach was awesome. The engine for Reach...I felt like I was playing the classics but on a new gen system. The gameplay in Reach is far better than 3 and my favorite part about Reach is the shooting system....it's not about quantity anymore it's about quality which was lost in Halo 3.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
A lot of people seem to not be factoring in the impact maps have in FPS games. It's not just, "oh it's just a new map pack". The maps in MW3 would have never been in MW2, ever. In fact one of the main focuses on MW3 was based around the maps. Not saying the maps are necessarily good, but they're really a lot different than MW2 and Black Ops, although some are similar to CoD4. Similar as they may be, the maps in MW3 are designed in a way that hasn't been done before as far as I can tell. There's not many places where you can camp and be there for more than a few kills. You definitely still can camp, and there's a lot of it at least right now, but you need the whole team or at least a few people backing you up if you want to be successful.

The kill streak system is much different too. It doesn't just reward kills, or kill streaks. It rewards you for playing the objective and shooting down air support. It also gives you rewards just for getting the amount of kills you need in order to get the killstreak in the "support" class. I've heard a lot of complaints about this, but I'm not one of the people complaining. The support killstreaks pretty much discourage camping, because now you don't have to. Sure, lesser skilled players are going to be able to get some powerful killstreak rewards, but if they're going 15-25 to get them... that's not really helping their team win.

The guns also are a lot different than MW2. They all have more recoil, for starters. The Sub Machines aren't snipers anymore. Shotguns are no longer secondary and they've weakened them. In general there just seems to be more gun skill than in MW2.

Overall, MW3 is a completely new experience. A lot of the gameplay mechanics are the same, and I say bravo to that. Why try and fix something that isn't broken? Just to create something arbitrarily "new" or "revolutionary"? CoD4 was revolutionary, don't think they can ever top that game. The problems with MW2 that I and most people have aren't in MW3. That in itself is the only "improvement" needed. Don't really understand what you guys were expecting with MW3. Why would a sequel be so "revolutionary", "new", etc? They weren't attempting to recreate FPS's, they weren't trying to create another masterpiece like CoD4, that wasn't their goal. The goal was to make a more balanced MW2 game. With new features, more gun skill, less camping, redesigning maps, more balanced air support/kill streaks, etc.

Mission accomplished, haters gonna hate.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
CoD4 > MW3 > CoD2 > MW2 > Black Ops > WaW

Discuss!
MW2 > Black Ops >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CoD4 > CoD2

I did not play WaW, and I had no fun with either CoD4 or 2. But if MW3 is like MW2 only more balanced and smaller maps, it could easily be my new favourite of the series.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
MW2 > Black Ops >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> CoD4 > CoD2

I did not play WaW, and I had no fun with either CoD4 or 2. But if MW3 is like MW2 only more balanced and smaller maps, it could easily be my new favourite of the series.
This post is just straight blasphemy! CoD4 is hands down the best CoD game, it's not even close or up for debate. :coffee:

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
This post is just straight blasphemy! CoD4 is hands down the best CoD game, it's not even close or up for debate. :coffee:
Everyone says that and I just don't get it. The campaign was the worst of the CoDs I've played and the multiplayer is ridicoulosly imbalanced with awful maps. And on the PC dedicated servers just made it worse. You CANNOT find 12 player servers, even 18 is rare. And 40 player 24/7 Shipment HC is just as fun as the 57 player Broadcast 24/7 servers. It's considered the best in the series, I'm fine with that, It's just me being on the wrong side of the gun.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Black Ops is the only COD I've played where everybody doesn't use the exact same gun 100% of the time. That cries balance to me, and therefore is the best.

+ it didnt have any shitty form of juggernaut.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Everyone says that and I just don't get it. The campaign was the worst of the CoDs I've played and the multiplayer is ridicoulosly imbalanced with awful maps. And on the PC dedicated servers just made it worse. You CANNOT find 12 player servers, even 18 is rare. And 40 player 24/7 Shipment HC is just as fun as the 57 player Broadcast 24/7 servers. It's considered the best in the series, I'm fine with that, It's just me being on the wrong side of the gun.
The campaign was good, but who gives a shit about the campaign anyway? How exactly was CoD4 imbalanced may I ask? Also, CoD4 has probably the best maps of any FPS game. There's maybe 1 or 2 "bad" maps in the game, and they're not bad just not as good in comparison to the others.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Black Ops is the only COD I've played where everybody uses the exact same gun 100% of the time. That cries balance to me, and therefore is the best.
Can't tell if serious. If everyone uses the exact same gun that would cry imbalance, not balance.

Jelan

Aquaman is dead lel
The campaign was good, but who gives a shit about the campaign anyway? How exactly was CoD4 imbalanced may I ask? Also, CoD4 has probably the best maps of any FPS game. There's maybe 1 or 2 "bad" maps in the game, and they're not bad just not as good in comparison to the others.
I know the campaign is not the point, but I had fun with all the other campaigns, except this one. And how was it imbalanced? The ak-47 was a joke. Very high damage and the sight was bouncing up and down, but the actual recoil was very low. There were just no point in using any other assault rifle. Same with SMGs, the MP5 and the AK74 had the same stats, but the latter had a much better recoil pattern. From my experience, these 2 weapons owned all the others and pretty much everyone used them. The snipers, lmgs and shotguns were okay, though the M249 was borderline imo. In MW2 there is so much broken shit it was almost balanced. And yeah, I didn't like the maps either. Crash for example is one that I hate with a passion.