What's new

Guide Catch Me If You Can -- The Flash General Discussion Thread

Moiravus

Noob
Don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but I had no clue flash could meter burn the 1 charge off of RMS. Never seen anyone do it so just a public service announcement or some shit

SEV

Noob
Flash is so hard to play. I just picked up to help out Harley and Catwoman. Any advice?
Take advantage of D1D2 plus frames. On block you can take a quick step back to bait D1's to punish for max damage with B22 if you make the read. Only way they can hit you is to use an advancing string, which you can beat out with 112 if you make that read. Conditioning is a major part to it. Don't be too overzealous trying to start pressure, sometimes the best way to start offense is through passive/defensive play then starting your offense when your opponent goes negative. To make your corner F3 cross up set up easier online, you can do it with one less "11" in the combo, but it has a different timing. Also take advantage of Flash's walk speed when getting in; his dash in is good but can get you into trouble often if you don't use it properly. Lastly know your set ups: F3's to stuff wake ups, Sonic Pound cross ups, and know who you can and can't use your B2 related frame traps on.

Beating zod or playing zod? I assume beating zod.

Got training mode and practice d2 against trait. Out run trait with charge rms or dashing. You can actually dash foward against swipes if you time it right. Worst option is to jump.

Zod has no wakeup that works against D1 make him work to get out of your pressure.

Use RMS to duck under sidearm you can punish non MB versions from there.

Take the block damage when you need to. Get in on your terms, do not just go all out to get close. Instead go in when you demand to be in with RMS Sonic Pound Jumping or dashing. Last thing you want to do is feel like you are chasing him, it should more feel like he is running away from you.

Universal mb b/f 3 to deal with trait traps.

Stay out of BGB interacts and bait throwable ones. Stage repick accordingly.

Trait as often as possible (i still need to do this), everyone says it is like Yuns Genei Jin but then we do not use it like one. Genei Jin is op cuz it creates opportunities as well as capitalizes on them.

There is actually a lot to use, but to be honest you can steam roll him like any other character until they play well enough to contest it. That is the same story for 80% of the cast. Zod is like the rest there are very few occasions where you have to severely alter your gameplan until the player is truly outmatching you and knows what to do. Hope some of this helps and is not too abstract.

@AK Harold

thanx for the reply.

when you say d2 against trait, do you mean d2 him when he traits up or am i misunderstanding that?

d1 will stop push / zod charge? i'll have to take that to the lab then

been using RMS to go under sidearm. slide under rifle when i'm feeling ballsy (pun intended)

getting in… i'll try to use rms SP. the second hit of b22 whiffing when he is crouching really throws me off my game. i guess i gotta just use b2 and try to bait a backdash.

My problems i guess are Zods that crouch when i'm in footsie range. b22 gets punished on crouch, SP gets d2'd, LC gets punished. jump ins give me a hard time too.

got a lot of work to do :/ thanx for the tips

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Trait as often as possible (i still need to do this), everyone says it is like Yuns Genei Jin but then we do not use it like one. Genei Jin is op cuz it creates opportunities as well as capitalizes on them.
I cannot further express to do this after experiencing the silliness of Flash's trait outside of combos first hand.

Laos_boy

Meow Hoes
Note he wasn't using his main but this just one set.
Its hard to advise without seeing where you are at currently. I don't want to give you redundant info or do anything too advanced. Got any gameplay vids? Also never say "Flash is so hard to play" or the TYM illuminati will out you :).

SEV

Noob
@AK Haroldwhen you say d2 against trait, do you mean d2 him when he traits up or am i misunderstanding that?
Interesting. I assume he means using our D2 as a mid crusher for trait smacks when they are being used to create block strings that he would otherwise be unsafe. Haven't thought of that, great stuff. Harold gave great advice though. Also some flashy tech: you can running man stance slide under his fire balls, more advanced stuff but can actually be very helpful.

Last edited:

SEV

Noob
Some notes for what I noticed, simple, but important stuff that should help a lot:

1. Practice BnBs: Notice you're leaving some damage on the table with some combos.

2. Use your B22/LC(MB) frame traps: I notice at times you will back dash or speed dodge when you are positive. If it's to avoid MB F/B3, Flash's D1D2 is extremely fast and should beat it out. Also noticed you would use LK after B22 on block, better to just use the frame trap.

3. Keep your standing vortex going: After a non MB LK you are plus enough to get off another B22 if you want to go for another frame trap, F2 if you want to go straight into an overhead, or if you want you can take a slight step forward and go for a throw.

You are at a pretty decent level when it comes to pressure. You seem unsure of yourself though when you hit people. Commit to combos and max your damage or commit to resets. For now I would say use your meter only on LK mb and clashes. You burn a lot of meter on mb F/B3 and lightning charges to try to get in. You gotta train yourself on getting in without those tools. Later on to dominate people you need to be able to destroy people meterless. If you aren't getting hit and you do the hitting you wont have much meter.

Use sonic pound
@Zyphox opened my eyes to using sonic pounds a long time ago and I still use it. It is a great non meter ender that lets you play oki mind games with your opponent.

Strategy
First hit always go to mb trait combo. You get first hits a lot but dont conver to 50% combos that hurts a lot.
2nd bar force clashes and go for traitless damage. Until you get really good at mindgames and resets you shouldn't avoid clashes for now. Flash has no projectiles or ways to avoid clashes and do damage so just get it over with. If you conserve your meter from my first advice you should almost always be equal or > in meter. After they clash trait up or trait combo for solid easy wins.

RMS
Use running man stance more and be comfortable with it. It is necessary to fight characters that out pace you or out footsie you.

You have a natural offense that is strong already, I dont have to give you much advice on your mix ups but you want to convert to harder hits and practice combos.
Most useful and standard combos are
starter > mb kick >11>b22f3 >ender

Air 2 Air J1
It is very good to use against anyone in the air and leads to devastating damage for no meter.

Lots char specific stuff. I really should try to do a Flash Community guid at some point to break down matchup knowledge more. Sorry everyone I barely get much to play so I use it for that. I do a lot of forum stuff while at work but can't soak up too much attention for a full guide just yet haha. I still feel I gotta prove my Flash before then anyhow.