What's new

Casuals flip-flopping: MK11 gameplay now "feels slow and limited"

RYX

BIG PUSHER
You say that sarcastically like there aren’t plenty of casuals on TYM. And that’s fine, fighting games aren’t just for online warriors and tourney players.

But a lot of casual complaints are entirely one dimensional and short-sighted. Not all, but a lot.
Listen buddy, I don't think you know who you're dealing with. I post on testyourmight-dot-com. Buddy, alright? I'm what people would call an 'elite.' I'm a beast. I'm a beast mode dude. I don't fuck with that noise, you feel me? I ain't no casual, aight? I post on testyourmight-dot-com.

Don't mess with me again.

I watch Max a lot and one thing I can say, that at least when he streams, he's not a shill. If he doesnt like a game, he wont play it, or at least not often. You can clearly see it on his face when he's playing a game he doesn't enjoy. But he already admitted that he liked MKX, and with this being almost the exact opposite of it, its probably going to end up being a game that he wont enjoy playing, just like injustice.

Corruption100

Plus Frame Enjoyer
About Combos, well, they must address concern about it, people like big combos, high dmg number and so on. It been like that for a long time now and won't change at all. Fancy stuff are fancy you know.

7 hits combos max won't do. Not at all.
I think its too late to hope for 30+ combos. Especially since they decided during development to make mk11 less combo heavy. I think the highest weve seen is either scorpion or kani thus far. Im assuming wel max at 15-20 hits

This game looks like its all about the fundamentals, which requires a ton more skill than labbing two combos you learned on Youtube for two hours and repeating them ad nausim.

It's why i mained Wonder Woman in Injustice 2. Her strings were short and quite poor and her combo potential was also quite bad...but she was all about the fundamentals, space control, whiff punishing, footsies. So I'm hyped for the change.

Reactions: Zev
I would just add that, I'd venture to say that most (certainly myself) would be well happy with <10-hit comboes, IF these comboes were diverse and the infamous NRS combo 'rigidity' weren't as apparent as it historically has been (*said two elements not being mutually exclusive).

The potential problem (if the concerns raised are borne out to be founded) is that, combing 1) lower combo hit-count potential, 2) lessened combo potential overall, 3) strictly capped "Krushing Blow" use, 4) universal "Amplify" input scheme (*assuming that the change was made to diversify something NRS saw as being / becoming stale--in the context of whatever other changes they have made to the erstwhile "Burn" / EX system--if any), 5) a single "Fatal Blow" that may have even less non-YOLO / combo potential than before (*in the sense of having access to said move only at 30% HP, and certain chars. simply not being accoutred with combo-able FB's -- e.g., Johnny Cage), may conspire to produce a very bland gameplay product.

This is how I, myself, am qualifying the criticisms, in order to legitimise them: Reconciling them with the other, ancillary mechanics which will serve as the the parts to produce the sum of what will become MK11's combo system.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Listen buddy, I don't think you know who you're dealing with. I post on testyourmight-dot-com. Buddy, alright? I'm what people would call an 'elite.' I'm a beast. I'm a beast mode dude. I don't fuck with that noise, you feel me? I ain't no casual, aight? I post on testyourmight-dot-com.

Don't mess with me again.
I need this engraved on my tombstone.

Bloodfang

The Immortal Tiger
Honestly my only concern with "slowed down" gameplay is with characters like Geras it seems unlikely that I will be able to turn OFF the game clock for that genuine strategic, psych-warfare I crave instead of just that nausea I feel at the sight or mere mention of a "Time Over" victory or loss. I really really really hate Time Out/Decision wins in real life combat sports, games, etc.