What's new

Cassie Cage General Discussion Thread

Espio

Kokomo
I haven't forgotten lmao and don't sleep on Sups OD lol that's the biggest problem this community has imo. Most people try something out once or twice and is like... its booty. I'm probably going to use all variations vs you
I mean my history is using underused obscure variations and characters. I play Cassie too. There isn't really any logical reason to believe it is more threatening to Jade than Yas Queen or Digital Soldier. You're more than welcome to try of course.

I get what you're saying. I've found some success using Sups OD. But then again, I do have an unorthodox playstyle which is probably why I lean towards it. I was Hoping Espio would get on soon because I'm getting off soon lol

Also, I am available to play. I work Monday-Friday and earliest I get off is 5:00 PM so yeah.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I mean my history is using underused obscure variations and characters. I play Cassie too. There isn't really any logical reason to believe it is more threatening to Jade than Yas Queen or Digital Soldier. You're more than welcome to try of course.

Also, I am available to play. I work Monday-Friday and earliest I get off is 5:00 PM so yeah.
What time zone? Lol I'm est. Also I can play a few if your down. It's almost 10pm here

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Thank you @Espio for the games!!!!! After playing that set, I'm still convinced Jade has the upper hand overall vs Cassie. My opinion won't change so I don't see the point in discussing how to change my opinion.

However Espio, please feel free to tell me what I did wrong. I felt like I was punishing where I could and tried to poke where I could. I honestly felt overwhelmed with Jades options while she was applying pressure, at midrange and even at far range. Also, that B2 whiffing under Jades low poke was salt inducing! Lol Thanks again!

Espio

Kokomo
Thank you @Espio for the games!!!!! After playing that set, I'm still convinced Jade has the upper hand overall vs Cassie. My opinion won't change so I don't see the point in discussing how to change my opinion.

However Espio, please feel free to tell me what I did wrong. I felt like I was punishing where I could and tried to poke where I could. I honestly felt overwhelmed with Jades options while she was applying pressure, at midrange and even at far range. Also, that B2 whiffing under Jades low poke was salt inducing! Lol Thanks again!

I mean playing someone that has a clear better handle of match up shouldn't change your mind so that doesn't mean much of anything in terms of what the match up take awaye should be and playing that....variation has little to nothing to do with the variations you should be using versus Jade.

You tried playing way too lame and passive even if I had the life lead. It worked one round out of all the matches but it was a steadfast strategy. You whiffed a lot of things. No flawless blocks happened on my back 3,4,3,4. I actually feel like I played sloppy as hell that set. I don't believe that was optimal pay or dealing with Jade. Jade's down 4 is faster than Back 2.

There remains zero reason to believe Sups OD is a better variation choice than the actual good ones.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
I mean playing someone that has a clear better handle of match up shouldn't change your mind so that doesn't mean much of anything in terms of what the match up take awaye should be and playing that....variation has little to nothing to do with the variations you should be using versus Jade.

You tried playing way too lame and passive even if I had the life lead. It worked one round out of all the matches but it was a steadfast strategy. You whiffed a lot of things. No flawless blocks happened on my back 3,4,3,4. I actually feel like I played sloppy as hell that set. I don't believe that was optimal pay or dealing with Jade. Jade's down 4 is faster than Back 2.

There remains zero reason to believe Sups OD is a better variation choice than the actual good ones.
Well.. I appreciate you basically telling me I'm a bad player lol

Believe it or not, I actually did go for Flawless blocks but it seems every time I went for them you would cancel into nitro kick or stagger into a grab or pole cancel. Flawless block times are different as I tested in the lab afterwards meaning I would have to guess to flawless block, especially since they made the Flawless Block adjustments.

I was trying to catch you whiffing D4 since you were doing it hella but I guess it recovers to quickly to punish with B2 as I watched our set afterwards. The only thing I saw working was b1 but b1 into nearly anything is unsafe/punishable. I could've abused Up Glowkick more since you weren't Flawless Blocking it but I figured you eventually would so I didn't go ham with it. Also, you did a phenomenal job punishing my F2 whiffs with the D2s. I honestly don't know what would be good choices to use in neutral since Jade outranges Cassie. I tried B2 and B3 and got beat consistently by her D4 or D2. F2 got blown up multiple times and between your long ranged pokes, D4 and Yolo run cancels and Nitro Kicks mixed in I got locked up and well jumping in is pretty dumb since Jade has one of the best D2s in the game.

It might too much to ask of you since at this point I feel like I'm annoying you, but what makes the other Variations better in your opinion?

The only difference between Sups OD and Digital Soldier is kneecappin and flippin out which are both pretty useless in the match up. The only thing I can see is the damage output. But you would still have to get in and land a solid hit. So I don't see how this is a better option.

Also, Yaas Queen does have a quick forward advancing special (shoulder charge) that does have some hitbox priority, but its fully punishable on block so that's a healthy risk. The only thing Yaas Queen has that Sups OD doesn't is the BLB bubble for combo extensions but your opponent would have to be grounded in order to connect a full combo.

So what exactly makes those 2 Variations better since the only difference between all of them are the specials and the specials are only really good for damage output.

By the way, I'm seriously trying to get better at this MU sonic I'm in some way, shape or form pissing you off, I don't mean to.

Espio

Kokomo
Well.. I appreciate you basically telling me I'm a bad player lol

Believe it or not, I actually did go for Flawless blocks but it seems every time I went for them you would cancel into nitro kick or stagger into a grab or pole cancel. Flawless block times are different as I tested in the lab afterwards meaning I would have to guess to flawless block, especially since they made the Flawless Block adjustments.

I was trying to catch you whiffing D4 since you were doing it hella but I guess it recovers to quickly to punish with B2 as I watched our set afterwards. The only thing I saw working was b1 but b1 into nearly anything is unsafe/punishable. I could've abused Up Glowkick more since you weren't Flawless Blocking it but I figured you eventually would so I didn't go ham with it. Also, you did a phenomenal job punishing my F2 whiffs with the D2s. I honestly don't know what would be good choices to use in neutral since Jade outranges Cassie. I tried B2 and B3 and got beat consistently by her D4 or D2. F2 got blown up multiple times and between your long ranged pokes, D4 and Yolo run cancels and Nitro Kicks mixed in I got locked up and well jumping in is pretty dumb since Jade has one of the best D2s in the game.

It might too much to ask of you since at this point I feel like I'm annoying you, but what makes the other Variations better in your opinion?

The only difference between Sups OD and Digital Soldier is kneecappin and flippin out which are both pretty useless in the match up. The only thing I can see is the damage output. But you would still have to get in and land a solid hit. So I don't see how this is a better option.

Also, Yaas Queen does have a quick forward advancing special (shoulder charge) that does have some hitbox priority, but its fully punishable on block so that's a healthy risk. The only thing Yaas Queen has that Sups OD doesn't is the BLB bubble for combo extensions but your opponent would have to be grounded in order to connect a full combo.

So what exactly makes those 2 Variations better since the only difference between all of them are the specials and the specials are only really good for damage output.

By the way, I'm seriously trying to get better at this MU sonic I'm in some way, shape or form pissing you off, I don't mean to.
Nobody is saying you are a bad player but all skill levels are not equal and I don't think you would assert that we are 100% of equal skill would you? Cause when Tweedy or Arzumis beat me the majority of games I wouldn't assert that I am their equals in skill when the match ups aren't 7-3 or 8-2. If a match up is 6-4 or 5-5 and you are of comparable skill, the scores will GENERALLY reflect that. I'm very direct and honest because I see no point in being dishonest with people. It's basic logic that playing someone that is a stronger player in a match up you don't like wouldn't do anything but feed into your doubts.

You're right actually, Jaded makes it a lot harder to flawless block because you are guessing between five different variables. Ex shadow kick is plus and gapless, the last hit of four is flawless blockable, but then there's just the stagger into -7 where Jade can neutral duck, throw, poke, parry or pole vault.

Why do you think I'm annoyed? I respect you as a human being to talk to you with as much realness as I can. Secondly none of this is that big of a deal to be getting upset about. I'm not struggling with anything to be upset with it.

First of all, Yas Queen having a restand means there's no wake up guessing if you happen to open me up and if you did really rewatch the set you noticed that I also used Jade's UNSAFE on block shadow kick, not just the ex plus one. I made sure to use it to check you trying to walk back or run away and it worked more times than not. Just because a move is unsafe doesn't mean it is meh. Shoulder pre-patch was the difference between Sonic Fox bullying Dragon with Cassie. IF these tactics work effectively on top five players, they'll work on anyone. The fact that the tool exists is enough to allow you to approach, harass and discourage aggression. It doesn't even have to be used frequently for its effect to be felt strongly.

Knee capping adding more damage and glow doesn't just automatically activate, there is start up. Is all it needs to do. All these surface level takes are part of the problem. Flippin' out isn't particularly good in any match ups, not just against Jade so I don't get why that is being mentioned at all. Looking at things at a shallow surface level is why you think there's no real difference between Sups OD and Yas Queen and why you think these match ups are problematic.

Saying it's just a few different specials is nonsensical. Jade's Emerald Defender and Jaded is just a couple different specials, but it makes a HUGE difference in how she functions as a character and what she is allowed to do/get away with and that same thing applies to Baraka, Jade and any other character in the roster generally speaking.

You are welcome to choose what variation you play and not heed me, but I don't use Untamable over Jaded and ED for a reason. The "it's just specials" doesn't work as an argument. Those make or break a variation when they're good or bad. Imagine Erron without Skud Shot or Johnny Cage without Outtake fireballs. It changes up dynamics way too much.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Nobody is saying you are a bad player but all skill levels are not equal and I don't think you would assert that we are 100% of equal skill would you? Cause when Tweedy or Arzumis beat me the majority of games I wouldn't assert that I am their equals in skill when the match ups aren't 7-3 or 8-2. If a match up is 6-4 or 5-5 and you are of comparable skill, the scores will GENERALLY reflect that. I'm very direct and honest because I see no point in being dishonest with people. It's basic logic that playing someone that is a stronger player in a match up you don't like wouldn't do anything but feed into your doubts.

You're right actually, Jaded makes it a lot harder to flawless block because you are guessing between five different variables. Ex shadow kick is plus and gapless, the last hit of four is flawless blockable, but then there's just the stagger into -7 where Jade can neutral duck, throw, poke, parry or pole vault.

Why do you think I'm annoyed? I respect you as a human being to talk to you with as much realness as I can. Secondly none of this is that big of a deal to be getting upset about. I'm not struggling with anything to be upset with it.

First of all, Yas Queen having a restand means there's no wake up guessing if you happen to open me up and if you did really rewatch the set you noticed that I also used Jade's UNSAFE on block shadow kick, not just the ex plus one. I made sure to use it to check you trying to walk back or run away and it worked more times than not. Just because a move is unsafe doesn't mean it is meh. Shoulder pre-patch was the difference between Sonic Fox bullying Dragon with Cassie. IF these tactics work effectively on top five players, they'll work on anyone. The fact that the tool exists is enough to allow you to approach, harass and discourage aggression. It doesn't even have to be used frequently for its effect to be felt strongly.

Knee capping adding more damage and glow doesn't just automatically activate, there is start up. Is all it needs to do. All these surface level takes are part of the problem. Flippin' out isn't particularly good in any match ups, not just against Jade so I don't get why that is being mentioned at all. Looking at things at a shallow surface level is why you think there's no real difference between Sups OD and Yas Queen and why you think these match ups are problematic.

Saying it's just a few different specials is nonsensical. Jade's Emerald Defender and Jaded is just a couple different specials, but it makes a HUGE difference in how she functions as a character and what she is allowed to do/get away with and that same thing applies to Baraka, Jade and any other character in the roster generally speaking.

You are welcome to choose what variation you play and not heed me, but I don't use Untamable over Jaded and ED for a reason. The "it's just specials" doesn't work as an argument. Those make or break a variation when they're good or bad. Imagine Erron without Skud Shot or Johnny Cage without Outtake fireballs. It changes up dynamics way too much.
I appreciate your response and honestly, even if it's a bit tactless.

First prepatch is irrelevant as its past tense. It bares no weight on what the game is now since adjustments have been made.

Now I think you misinterpreted me when I was talking about the specials. I'm well aware of how much they impact a MU in general and I'm not as shallow a thinker as you may think so please allow me to reiterate my previous comment.

What I meant by Specials not making a huge difference was in this specific MU and NOT in general.

For example, Shoulder charge and flying glowkick are very similar except flying glowkick in sups OD has an easier KB requirement and is -8 on block and is a high as opposed to the shoulder charge that's -16 on block. Ideally thats a better trade in my opinion as far as fast forward advancing specials.

To touch on your comment about Cassie's restand ability in Yaas Queen. Don't forget that Cassie has a restand in every variation in general.

Now depending on where Cassie is on the screen, Jade can easily activate glow as the kneecapping projectile doesn't travel fast enough to punish it unless the Cassie player made the read a preemptively shot the gun to punish. Now any Jade player that would activate glow in Cassie's face is brave. Now with glow active Cassie isn't doing anything but playing Jades game. Another thing to note is kneecappin is also punishable by Jades nitro kick a little less then 3/4s the screen away making kneecappin's only actual use in the MU as a combo extender. Which leads me to my next thing.

Damage. Cassie doesn't get a crazy amount of damage in general outside of the corner and even less off a stray hit.

As you said, flipping out is irrelevant.

On to Yaas Queen. I do want to just throw out there that while most of this community thought it was trash before Sonic fox won with it, I thought it was good. Yaas Queens ability to do solid, unbreakable damage and keep the restand is extremely strong. The downsides I see in this MU Cassie's Mix Up linearity mixed with Jades ability to keep her out effectively. You're not getting a restand or good damage if you can't get in and a good Jade player (such as yourself) is going to rely on impatience and bait moves like a shoulder charge to punish and if Cassie gets the restand (depending on the restand) she has to figure out the best way to mix you, which like I said is dependent on the situation. For example, after nutpunch, you can d1 check as you did multiple times last night. So I MADE THE READ and chose to step back and hit you with a B1.

Now let's discuss Cassie's options from a restand.

Her Options:
F4 (can be beat by D1 as you perfectly executed last night if close)
B1,3 punishable if blocked
B1 standing guns also punishable if blocked or ducked
B1 amp up glow kick (easy to flawless block and fully punish)
If your using OD flying glowkick, you could punish if you have a 7f startup move
Step back then go for a B2. Imo B2 staggers are the best because of the pushback.
B3 gives up a turn and also opens you up to hard whiff punishment if ducked
B3 cancels same as above
F2 1+3 pushes the opponent back even further which isn't something you ideally want to do vs Jade.
Of course a throw is a great option but is easy to punish if read. In other words, Cassie is committing to what shes doing and doesn't have a safety net of a canceled safe move like a nitro kick cancel.

So not only does she have to work to get in, she has to make every moment count as most of her stuff can be telegraphed relatively easy in comparison to the plethora of ways Jade can keep you guessing and open you up just like you stated.

I'm not stating that Sups OD is in anyway shape or form better because in truth, I think all of her Variations have their uses.

In this particular MU I prefer to use this variation strictly because I have found the most success with it particularly in this MU as well. Now there are certain MUs I won't use it in for obvious reasons, but I'm not so quick to rule things out, especially since its personally gotten me results.

So in a nutshell, the only thing that the other Variations have that Sups OD doesn't is the damage. Rereading your post that's all I really got out of it, assuming you are talking about post patch.

By the way, out of all the games we played last night, I only won one. But let's not act like you were mopping me the entire time either. Most of them were indeed close and I let my nervous get the better of me which of course you so easily capitalized on in which I kindly tilt my hat to you.

Maybe my problem is I overestimate my opponent and due to my overestimation, I play too reserved as you said and get blown up for it. Maybe I should play a little more reckless and not respect my opponent as much as I generally do.

Espio

Kokomo
I appreciate your response and honestly, even if it's a bit tactless.

First prepatch is irrelevant as its past tense. It bares no weight on what the game is now since adjustments have been made.

Now I think you misinterpreted me when I was talking about the specials. I'm well aware of how much they impact a MU in general and I'm not as shallow a thinker as you may think so please allow me to reiterate my previous comment.

What I meant by Specials not making a huge difference was in this specific MU and NOT in general.

For example, Shoulder charge and flying glowkick are very similar except flying glowkick in sups OD has an easier KB requirement and is -8 on block and is a high as opposed to the shoulder charge that's -16 on block. Ideally thats a better trade in my opinion as far as fast forward advancing specials.

To touch on your comment about Cassie's restand ability in Yaas Queen. Don't forget that Cassie has a restand in every variation in general.

Now depending on where Cassie is on the screen, Jade can easily activate glow as the kneecapping projectile doesn't travel fast enough to punish it unless the Cassie player made the read a preemptively shot the gun to punish. Now any Jade player that would activate glow in Cassie's face is brave. Now with glow active Cassie isn't doing anything but playing Jades game. Another thing to note is kneecappin is also punishable by Jades nitro kick a little less then 3/4s the screen away making kneecappin's only actual use in the MU as a combo extender. Which leads me to my next thing.

Damage. Cassie doesn't get a crazy amount of damage in general outside of the corner and even less off a stray hit.

As you said, flipping out is irrelevant.

On to Yaas Queen. I do want to just throw out there that while most of this community thought it was trash before Sonic fox won with it, I thought it was good. Yaas Queens ability to do solid, unbreakable damage and keep the restand is extremely strong. The downsides I see in this MU Cassie's Mix Up linearity mixed with Jades ability to keep her out effectively. You're not getting a restand or good damage if you can't get in and a good Jade player (such as yourself) is going to rely on impatience and bait moves like a shoulder charge to punish and if Cassie gets the restand (depending on the restand) she has to figure out the best way to mix you, which like I said is dependent on the situation. For example, after nutpunch, you can d1 check as you did multiple times last night. So I MADE THE READ and chose to step back and hit you with a B1.

Now let's discuss Cassie's options from a restand.

Her Options:
F4 (can be beat by D1 as you perfectly executed last night if close)
B1,3 punishable if blocked
B1 standing guns also punishable if blocked or ducked
B1 amp up glow kick (easy to flawless block and fully punish)
If your using OD flying glowkick, you could punish if you have a 7f startup move
Step back then go for a B2. Imo B2 staggers are the best because of the pushback.
B3 gives up a turn and also opens you up to hard whiff punishment if ducked
B3 cancels same as above
F2 1+3 pushes the opponent back even further which isn't something you ideally want to do vs Jade.
Of course a throw is a great option but is easy to punish if read. In other words, Cassie is committing to what shes doing and doesn't have a safety net of a canceled safe move like a nitro kick cancel.

So not only does she have to work to get in, she has to make every moment count as most of her stuff can be telegraphed relatively easy in comparison to the plethora of ways Jade can keep you guessing and open you up just like you stated.

I'm not stating that Sups OD is in anyway shape or form better because in truth, I think all of her Variations have their uses.

In this particular MU I prefer to use this variation strictly because I have found the most success with it particularly in this MU as well. Now there are certain MUs I won't use it in for obvious reasons, but I'm not so quick to rule things out, especially since its personally gotten me results.

So in a nutshell, the only thing that the other Variations have that Sups OD doesn't is the damage. Rereading your post that's all I really got out of it, assuming you are talking about post patch.

By the way, out of all the games we played last night, I only won one. But let's not act like you were mopping me the entire time either. Most of them were indeed close and I let my nervous get the better of me which of course you so easily capitalized on in which I kindly tilt my hat to you.

Maybe my problem is I overestimate my opponent and due to my overestimation, I play too reserved as you said and get blown up for it. Maybe I should play a little more reckless and not respect my opponent as much as I generally do.
Yas Queen restand gives unbreakable damage was the point. All restands are not the same especially if they give an opportunity to breakaway mid combo. That was the point.

I see this isn't going to be productive so I will not continue. There's nothing tactless about being realistic. Nobody said you were a terrible player or anything of the sort, you just opted to go down the rabbit hole. I mentioned people who generally beat me to illustrate my point which seems to have been lost. I never got bodied by Tweedy or Arzumis either, but they did win the vast majority of matches and it was abundantly clear who was the better player.

If you ask for my input, I have no problem providing it, but that doesn't seem to actually be the case. Playing reckless isn't going to make you win. It's not a this or that matter. Passive play is supposed to be based on context and strategic discretion. As in if you're playing passive or aggressive there should be a reason behind it like I'm baiting something or I have a lifelead or my opponent is struggling against this style so I will utilize this.

Last edited:

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
Yas Queen restand gives unbreakable damage was the point. All restands are not the same especially if they give an opportunity to breakaway mid combo. That was the point.

I see this isn't going to be productive so I will not continue. There's nothing tactless about being realistic. Nobody said you were a terrible player or anything of the sort, you just opted to go down the rabbit hole. I mentioned people who generally beat me to illustrate my point which seems to have been lost. If you ask for my input, I have no problem providing it, but that doesn't seem to actually be the case.
I understood what you were saying and I replied. The point I made was pretty clear myself. I touched on everything you said. You can provide your input on whatever I said any time. Instead of being vague before, i was a bit more clear and concise. Out of everything I said, the only thing you clarified was what i agreed with you on, which was the Yaas Queen unbreakable Damage, and for some reason, out of everything I said, you needed to revisit me being a good or a bad player. Like that was only a fraction of what I discussed lol

And yes tact is worth a million words, especially when you're online and I don't have the ability hear what you're saying and read your body language when you're saying it. Don't get me wrong, I 110% appreciate honesty but quite frankly, saying things like "I'm not impressed" like you did last night or completely disregarding the humungous response I submitted and addressing only 2 things mentioned out of everything said, sounded pompous and a bit pretentious in my opinion. Now if you meant to sound that way or not is one thing, but the way it came off definitely seemed that way to me.

I also hate to be "that guy" but when I simply asked what what made those 2 variations so superior, your response was pretty vague and then your final response to my breakdown of your response only addressed ONE thing on the Yaas Queen Variation which was something you said that I acknowledged and agreed on... so you didn't even try to process what I said. To me, you just skimmed and picked what you wanted to address then put a generic "this isn't going anywhere" comment, then said if you want my opinion I will provide it, but that doesn't actually seem to be the case.

It's quite the opposite actually, I went into detail strictly because I WANT your opinion on what I was saying. I wouldn't go through the trouble of typing all of this stuff up if I thought you would just dismiss it anyways.

If you don't want to have the conversation then simply just say it. But if you do, then please give me some real detail. The little things go a long way. Every bit of information in fighters goes a long way, especially when you're stumped.

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
I know Cassie desperately needed new skins, because the ones in the main game were rather sucky... but how is it fair that she's gotten TWO unique skins? First the Harley Quinn one (which is just outright amazing, imo!) and then this "Klassic" one (which is kinda meh, imo).

In any case, I'm glad on behalf of Cassie's fans. ;)

Ck AeroVoid

Mk Casual, KI God
I know Cassie desperately needed new skins, because the ones in the main game were rather sucky... but how is it fair that she's gotten TWO unique skins? First the Harley Quinn one (which is just outright amazing, imo!) and then this "Klassic" one (which is kinda meh, imo).

In any case, I'm glad on behalf of Cassie's fans. ;)
her green happens to be one of my fave colors, so personally I am exited!
Being a GodSlayah has it's perks, I guess?

Samsara

Resident Cynic
That "classic" skin hurts the soul. Why are they so scared of the neoprene unitard? Too form fitting? Too fun? Maybe it's a callback to her jogging outfit and not her default.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
I'm not the only one? Yay!
There were wanting her MKX default skin with her undercut lol. Tbh, I feel like she's getting a lot of love. So I can't say too much about her not getting that skin other than she should have an option to use different hairstyles. She should have it though for sure. People should be thankful. I thought her short haired skins are ugly too & her ponytail. Special forces skins are the best, but I think more investment should be focused on how to better the game competitively.

Last edited: