What's new

Cassie Cage General Discussion Thread

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
Gonna lab/learn her finally this weekend as a secondary. But for some reason I’m more interested in starting with YQ as opposed to DS. Probably because I feel like everyone is using DS lol. Is YQ still decent? Got any scummy stuff?
YQ is actually pretty great, it's focused on non-stop pressure a lot. Nothing shady about it, and you don't have low gunshot so you have to rely on her straight gunshots to trade but I wouldn't recommend staying full screen with YQ.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
I used yaas queen for like 3 weeks and it is super viable, I would also say it’s better in some matchups. She’s really good in the corner, can make it so the opponent never gets to break away. Most matchups I would say digital soldier is the way to go though.
Ok I see. She’s only gonna serve as my secondary though until/if they ever fix Frost. Just i use scorpion and some matchups get annoying since I’m on the defensive and can’t contest super Aggro unless I want to risk dying bad lol. I figure I’d use a character that can disrespect being disrespected, I.e that nice 9 frame mid combo starter.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
YQ is actually pretty great, it's focused on non-stop pressure a lot. Nothing shady about it, and you don't have low gunshot so you have to rely on her straight gunshots to trade but I wouldn't recommend staying full screen with YQ.
EXACTLY what I’m looking for. Seems I made a decent choice, see my above comment. I was looking for a more Aggro character (that I like) since I basically play two spacers

Vslayer

Lead Moderator
I’ll scour the forums to look at YQ info and how to play it. Thanks fellas
I need to update the combo thread for Yaas queen, but it's pretty standard. Either punish with 111 into energy burst AM and either dash cancel for another 111 into an ender, or B24 into ender. The nut kick FB is actually useful in this variation.

vegeta

Saiyan Prince
well..............someone has to say it but.............................................So swapping entrances with Kano..................

Is Cassie banned from Viennality? I watched 2 hours but did not find any. Even Foxy plays with Kung Lao.
But at least there are many Liu Kangs Sonyas...

Hm I play only non competitive underused characters (only work against scrubs?) .. Cassie/Scorp. :D

Shark Teeth is playing her, and St9rm played her but he got eliminated.
I am at 3 hours but no Shark yet just Whales with Liu/Sonya/Kung Lao. :D
Maybe the stream did not show all the matches.

As I do not really like the playstyle of these characters it is not too interesting to me I skip most of the matches.
Damn I should pick Liu Kang or Kung Lao and I could enjoy tournaments more... Just I do not really like how they should be played my bad.

But considering she is "best character in the game" that amount of appearance is still low.
Same for Scorpion. :)

I just found the first Shark Teeth match after 6:41. :D

Last edited:
I just finished watching 11 hours video with lot of skipping.

Shark Teeth were playing really good. Against Bio vs. Jade it was also intense. :)
I liked his Erron Black too - I liked playing Erron Black before picking Cassie but the playstyle and available dirt do not represent my approach to the game so I rather dropped him.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
Just from face value, Yaas Queen looks like a variation that is going to rely more on whiff punishing than Digital Soldier since she doesn't have Low Gunshot or Air Gunshot to make your opponent respect your space.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
So after rewatching Reo's video, labbing multiple counter options vs Cassie and finally playing with some high level people I really don't think Cassie needs very many Nerfs.

The only Nerfs I see her needing now:

Consistent frame data for nut kick on hit (the plus frames DO NOT need to be nerfed, just consistent.)

Amped Shadow Kick SHOULD allow her to switch sides safely but give up her turn so she can't counter poke after.

She gets absolutely obliterated in the corner while every other character has a useful wake up.

That's all she needs. I'm finding more and more people have finally figured out how to deal with her and after testing their ways on me in the lab, their shit was absolutely viable. The notion that she's the best in the game is a joke. Shes a contender for the top but she is not without multiple weaknesses as I see now people are figuring out.

So after rewatching Reo's video, labbing multiple counter options vs Cassie and finally playing with some high level people I really don't think Cassie needs very many Nerfs.

The only Nerfs I see her needing now:

Consistent frame data for nut kick on hit (the plus frames DO NOT need to be nerfed, just consistent.)

Amped Shadow Kick SHOULD allow her to switch sides safely but give up her turn so she can't counter poke after.

She gets absolutely obliterated in the corner while every other character has a useful wake up.

That's all she needs. I'm finding more and more people have finally figured out how to deal with her and after testing their ways on me in the lab, their shit was absolutely viable. The notion that she's the best in the game is a joke. Shes a contender for the top but she is not without multiple weaknesses as I see now people are figuring out.
Which video from REO? Link please.

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Her attacks that have the most pushback F2 1+3 and B243 have highs that can be punished so instead of letting it push you back you can just neutral duck and stay right in her face and D2 KB her. They require practice tho cause the timing is tight and if you do it too early you're gonna get the KB (b243). F2 works if you also do it quickly since you can duck the F2 but if you let them do the rest of the string then it'll still push you back, but you can poke her out of it.

Both db1 raw and amp are punishable on block, even if she's not right in your face, if you have advancing attacks you can full combo punish her for doing it close range.

B24 on block, people let her get away with that shit all the time, but you can grab her or poke her out of a grab.

Her low starters are like 18 frames start-up but who needs them when you have F4 which is also a combo starter. Her pokes also suck but you don't really need them, again, since F4 exists.

Jade is her worst MU. She can zone her out and not have to worry about counter-zoning cause of glow. She has long range attacks that Cassie's can't punish even on block cause that staff is hella long. Erron Black is a hard one for her since he does everything she does but better and quicker and he can negate her shots with scud shot and his rifle shots.

Sayin' she has no bad MU is a big stretch dude. I believe that knowing the Cassie MU makes it hella easier if people are equally skilled because she's not that unbalanced. She just has a lot of good buttons that needs slight adjustments. All this hype against Cassie is so overblown. No one was salty to play against her and all of a sudden Sonic says she has no weakness and people are going insane.

lul
The weaknesses you cite here are not weaknesses... these are basic properties that every character in the game has to deal with - high starting strings happen to usually have strong properties, launchers are punishable, overhead/low starters are for the most part non-existent or weak.

Saying a tool isn't very strong because it comes from a high, particularly when a character has some of the best mids (staggerable at that) in the game, is very silly. Nor is the fact that your stated b24 situation plays by basic strike/throw rules make it any less real.

Cassie does not lose to Erron or Jade, and all the strong Erron/Jade players I know agree. Jade's zoning really isn't oppressive enough to outweigh the fact that Cassie beats her any part of the screen besides full screen with way better neutral and damage. Cassie has better neutral than Erron, and if you are having trouble getting into footsie range/getting zoned out by Erron, then its a you issue, not a matchup issue.

She's a really strong well rounded character, the fact that she may have to be the one to approach in certain matchups doesn't mean she all of a sudden loses the matchup.

Vengeance135

Saltiest Joker Player
The weaknesses you cite here are not weaknesses... these are basic properties that every character in the game has to deal with - high starting strings happen to usually have strong properties, launchers are punishable, overhead/low starters are for the most part non-existent or weak.

Saying a tool isn't very strong because it comes from a high, particularly when a character has some of the best mids (staggerable at that) in the game, is very silly. Nor is the fact that your stated b24 situation plays by basic strike/throw rules make it any less real.

Cassie does not lose to Erron or Jade, and all the strong Erron/Jade players I know agree. Jade's zoning really isn't oppressive enough to outweigh the fact that Cassie beats her any part of the screen besides full screen with way better neutral and damage. Cassie has better neutral than Erron, and if you are having trouble getting into footsie range/getting zoned out by Erron, then its a you issue, not a matchup issue.

She's a really strong well rounded character, the fact that she may have to be the one to approach in certain matchups doesn't mean she all of a sudden loses the matchup.
I'm sorry to ask but since you feel so strongly that Cassie doesn't lose to either Erron or Jade, can you please elaborate on why? I really respect and appreciate your opinion but I would like you to explain it if you please could.

Vslayer

Lead Moderator

It is a weakness if you exploit it, if people use highs they leave themselves vulnerable to punishes and I see very few people do it to Cassie online, so a) MU knowledge and b) exploiting highs to fish for D2 KBs. Highs are considered to be weak compared to mids because they leave you vulnerable, hence they're a weakness that can be exploited.

How in the heck does Erron not beat Cassie? His rifle shots are quick as hell she can't contest them with her low gunshot or her straight ones because they're slower. And if she amps air bullet barrage you'll get hit by Erron's other rifle shot anyways. If he has meter and is sitting full screen with acid and bullets he can eat her projectiles and he has great pressure up close with the cancel from scud shot, etc., she can't outpoke him out of anything because her pokes suck ass. Just stating other players think so too means jack shit, gimme concrete evidence as to why you think Erron loses to Cassie as I just did to counter that argument.

I already stated why the Jade MU is hard, tho I recently have found a way around it and that's to be patient because her zoning is actually pretty shitty for Cassie + glow + long-range attacks she can't punish.

Last edited: