What's new

Cassie Cage General Discussion Thread

Thought I'd give my results in the 1st tournament. I went either 2-2 or 3-2. Possibly 4-2. I can't remember, but I didn't do too bad. I'm just mad that I lost to the Scorpion in searing rage when I had him. Not really mad I lost to him, it's the way I lost. The last loss I took was from the lack of Johnny Cage match exp. The matches I lost went to the very last sets. Wish I could travel offline more. Working on it. But yeah. Haven't used anyone else except for her. The good thing is I'm able to get good matches in with good players.

Got another one next weekend.
My 1st is tomorrow.... 1st mk11 anyways... Much nervous

sars

Noob
Nice! I hope I can go to EVO this year. I've got some match up notes on him. Just need to play him more. Wish folks wouldn't downplay this character. She's really good imo. The match ups I'm seeing I don't seem accurate except for the ones on Twitter. I don't think she loses to Scorpion, Baraka, nor Jade. PPL have their opinions though.

Also I hate fighting Erron Black online. Erron in high ping is terrible. Especially in WFi. You can't block or react to F4 almost at all. Best way to beat him atm is to stay close to him. I'm hoping I run into a good one so that I can play against him more too. I do think this one could be tough for her but not awful by any stretch, but it's doable based on what I've seen so far in the lab and what I tested against a few players.
Yeah Erron Black sucks online. Cassie really good, not many bad matchups. I think jades 5-5 can’t zone her and her reach is better than yours but she has a lot of gaps. She’s def a character I need more practice against. Cassie is 5-5 or better in most matchups I believe.

Reactions: JDE

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
My 1st is tomorrow.... 1st mk11 anyways... Much nervous
Good luck man. Just try to get some warm up games in, sit before the match focus & just let the game come to you. Play your game. Nerves are going to be there until you've settled in. Once you start playing, they'll go away. Try to relax & don't focus on doing too much. Play to win, but mainly to improve. Do that & you'll grow a lot faster. Anymore advice needed, let me know. I've gone to a lot of events since I started back in 2012.

I'm gonna post my first set in my "make my Cassie mo sassy" thread here in a second (v a pretty decent Kitana) ... Will probably be posting all night (the ones versus good players anyways... Been getting a lot of newbies here for whatever reason)... Any and all criticism is VERY welcome! I was planning on learning a pocket jade but I've decided to go full Cassie (what up Gross).

Good luck man. Just try to get some warm up games in, sit before the match focus & just let the game come to you. Play your game. Nerves are going to be there until you've settled in. Once you start playing, they'll go away. Try to relax & don't focus on doing too much. Play to win, but mainly to improve. Do that & you'll grow a lot faster. Anymore advice needed, let me know. I've gone to a lot of events since I started back in 2012.
Thank you for the advice my friend! The nerves are already there lol! I haven't played a big local since mk9 NCG 3 Day Bash about 9 years ago lmao... But I won that one :/

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Yeah Erron Black sucks online. Cassie really good, not many bad matchups. I think jades 5-5 can’t zone her and her reach is better than yours but she has a lot of gaps. She’s def a character I need more practice against. Cassie is 5-5 or better in most matchups I believe.
Same here. I play a lot of Jades. Most of them are my friends. If you can get to the mid range, you're fine against her. B3 and B2 work well against her.

Thank you for the advice my friend! The nerves are already there lol! I haven't played a big local since mk9 NCG 3 Day Bash about 9 years ago lmao... But I won that one :/
Ah nice lol. Yeah they're going to always be there. I know the feeling. Before I play, I try to get a few sets in but then I don't want people to bother me at all. If I haven't played my pool or match, then I've got tunnel vision. I even have my music from my iPhone or iPod playing. "Hey want to hang for a bit?" Nah man, I'm trying to focus. Until I'm done with my pool, I'm not doing anything else lol. Seriously. It's not you trying to be a dick or anything. You're just wanting to stay dialed in & have your Mamba face on so you can do well lmao.

Same here. I play a lot of Jades. Most of them are my friends. If you can get to the mid range, you're fine against her. B3 and B2 work well against her.

Ah nice lol. Yeah they're going to always be there. I know the feeling. Before I play, I try to get a few sets in but then I don't want people to bother me at all. If I haven't played my pool or match, then I've got tunnel vision. I even have my music from my iPhone or iPod playing. "Hey want to hang for a bit?" Nah man, I'm trying to focus. Until I'm done with my pool, I'm not doing anything else lol. Seriously. It's not you
trying to be a dick or anything. You're just wanting to stay dialed in & have your Mamba face on so you can do well lmao.
I'm gonna be piping that Billie Eilish through the Sonys the entire time... I have no shame

I am pretty comfortable with Scorpion match up (no surprise i have the most exp with him and therefore it is easier to make the reads) I found answers for all Scorpion's tool.
It looks like Scorpion needs to take more risks than Cassie as Cassie can always choose blocking unsafe stuff after F3.
Flawless blocking gaps is not that rewarding with her though.

I think Cassie is better up close and footsie range (but should not underestimate Scorpion's sick footsie and great damage + great KBs - compared to Cassie steady but constant preformance). She can not really zone but not neccessary either. Few checks are possible to test the reactions - then fake buffers can trick him. Both side can fake tele-zoning. :) BF1 cancel is tricky too to bait teleport.

I had problem with Reborn cancel though Cassie's D1 did not look far enough to poke him out or I just was slow. Will lab it later (probably F4 is my friend).

Cassie probably does not win the match up as both character have good tools but looks a fair match up.

On the other hand with Scorpion I felt Cassie match up difficult as I felt me outfootsied which is my core gameplan with Scorpion - and unless doing some risky stuff she looked better (but that extra risk needs to be taken to be fair I think).

I need to review Jax match up as without good flawless block counter Cassie can not really counter his main 2 strings hard to discourage him using it (same as Scorpion's F34).
But at least 9F MID can fight back. :)

I will start using U3 as flawless block kounter. It does 90 damage and +14 hit advantage is enough for a DASH up F4 or B2 or throw if has respect. So still better than sitting on gaps like a duck.
Maybe they will make her U2 better next patch but probably it is intentional balance not to give her even more tools.

Last edited:
Speaking of bad U2 I found this (versions just different combos but not long):

Unfortunately F34 requires 2 dashes or pro skill I could not convert from it.

F423 is punishable though (not easy to find that 1 frame though or scorp can stop at F42 or Reborn away tele).
Not the most competitive string maybe that's why U2 works. :)

Last edited:

sars

Noob
Speaking of bad U2 I found this (versions just different combos but not long):

Unfortunately F34 requires 2 dashes or pro skill I could not convert from it.

F423 is punishable though (not easy to find that 1 frame though or scorp can stop at F42 or Reborn away tele).
Not the most competitive string maybe that's why U2 works. :)
The 2 dashes is tricky. You just need to start it during the flip kick

The 2 dashes is tricky. You just need to start it during the flip kick
Yes I input it during the flip kick so when the animation is over Cassie starts dashing. I did not try it with Geras strings but with Jax, Scorpion, Jaqui.. maybe it is not even possible or godlike strict.
When I can not do it after 20-40 tries it is not practical to me. Maybe if I will be Cassie veteran loyalist who can not learn more stuff. :)

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
So, I've been dabbling with our little ball kicker.

I have a question for all you Cassie pros, just wtf do you do with her fatal blow? It seems bad.

TakeAChance

TYM White Knight
F4,1 + FB Far
F2 + FB

I use it when they press buttons and it gets them, or on wake-up. Some people jump in the air to delay it too.

These are true combos? Perfect, thanks Vslayer.

I like the feel of her so far, so I may pursue this a little further even for just pocket matchups.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
These are true combos? Perfect, thanks Vslayer.

I like the feel of her so far, so I may pursue this a little further even for just pocket matchups.
yep they work in combos just make sure if you use f41, you have to input the far FB or it won't connect.

@lionheart21 can tell you more about how to use the FB in the air

sars

Noob
Yes I input it during the flip kick so when the animation is over Cassie starts dashing. I did not try it with Geras strings but with Jax, Scorpion, Jaqui.. maybe it is not even possible or godlike strict.
When I can not do it after 20-40 tries it is not practical to me. Maybe if I will be Cassie veteran loyalist who can not learn more stuff. :)
Yeah garas is the same. Frost is a bitch cause some strings it’s impossible

Yeah garas is the same. Frost is a bitch cause some strings it’s impossible
Maybe U3 is not bad either. 90 damage and good advantage for follow up. With throw it is 230 or with F41 you have a bar to combo.
But of course U2 into 230-250 would be ultimately better. :)

Scorpion does 300 for 2 bars that's why I like it very much.
Maybe Jaqui is even better as she can do great damage in juggle meterless.

Cassie is just constant steady nothing crazy. :)

Last edited:
I save it for an anti air... B3(anti air), FB (far)... Pretty simple, low risk, easy to confirm, does 38 percent or there abouts
I use it for AA too (raw fb) I will try with B3 too nice.
Good for whiff punishing a longer recovery string but with 32F start up it is risky. It worked several times against Jaqui F31. 1st hit armored 2nd whiffed. But risky.
It is -15 but nobody punished so far probably due to the shock it causes.

lionheart21

Its Game Over, Man
yep they work in combos just make sure if you use f41, you have to input the far FB or it won't connect.

@lionheart21 can tell you more about how to use the FB in the air
Thanks for the tag; @TakeAChance I don't have much time right now since I'm on a quick break, but I'll be able to go into a bit more detail a bit later on when I get off from work. I'll just edit this post when I do.

EDIT: Her Fatal Blow being regarded as one of the worst Fatal Blows in the game is a bit of a blessing in disguise because nobody actually expects you to use it. A few players that I've faced on here didn't know it can be used in the air. Also, its an overhead which, again, is something that quite a few opponents won't know, and if they try to crouch block, you'll catch them.

Cassie's Air Fatal Blow is good for faking out the opponent. For example, do a forward jump, then when the opponent tries to catch you out of the air, using the Fatal Blow will send Cassie backwards, causing the move to whiff. Even if you don't hit the move, it should be enough to make the opponent question what you're gonna do during the jump-in. You can bait out other Fatal Blows this way as well, and use the Fatal Blow as a whiff punish.

I tend to use her Fatal Blow in more of a defensive way. If you're in the corner, you can use the Air version to escape and get some breathing room and return to the midscreen. Because the Air Fatal Blow can also be used close, use the far version for this.

Last edited:
After today's matches online (Kasual) Cassie slowly moves forward to my most favorite character.

I ran into only "bad players" who mashed and disrespect a lot, did not really played footsies, etc. and Cassie just manages these players pretty well with all her tools.

With Scorpion it was more difficult to play against these players as without fast MID I always needed to bait a walk back whiff punish etc and it is always a two edged sword against random mashers.

Unfortunately I did not run into good players so far - even the unknown match up was not that bad. :)

I am probably not that good after few days (or at all as I am only a casual player) but still run into many even more casuals - I hope I find more thinking players as well. :)
I like that Cassie tools slowly come to my fingers without thinking. But there is a lot to learn.

Last edited:
So, I've been dabbling with our little ball kicker.

I have a question for all you Cassie pros, just wtf do you do with her fatal blow? It seems bad.
I think I'm starting to get the hang of making use of it - it's good for hitting them in the air or in the middle of long strings. But I've found it more useful in ranked, where opponents are more likely to actually be aware that it's an overhead.

Last edited: