What's new

Captain Cold General Discussion Thread

Rooks

Cold Azz Mulatto
I think this character would be way less clunky if trait could not be held but he instead got a full bar of trait for pressing the button. Make it a shorter channel time than the current time it takes to get a full bar, or maybe keep it the same and higher levels don't take longer charge time. Give him the option to meter burn it for 2 bars maybe.

His trait needs something done to it imo as it's way too hard to find time to charge it. His level 3 seems garbage and a complete waste of meter.

Captain Cold feels like an unfinished character.
What are you using to create time/space to attempt to charge? You can also tap trait mid combo after MB puddle and after d+2 AA and still get combo.

Last edited:

Swoops

Noob
EDIT: it also ends in HKD to allow trait charge after juggles
Could someone help me understand this? I've heard it mentioned multiple times that B232 is a hard knockdown, but the AI always techs it in training mode. Help o.o

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
Could someone help me understand this? I've heard it mentioned multiple times that B232 is a hard knockdown, but the AI always techs it in training mode. Help o.o
It's not a HKD. It just gives you some time to charge your gun. The SKD is the 213, and the HKD would be like Sub's F12 and 112. He has nothing of the HKD sorts.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Played Cold vs Adam last night and it felt like a very uphill battle. From certain distances I could counterzone ok, but one wrong guess and there goes my health bar.

tafka Djinn

One for three off the roof
Played Cold vs Adam last night and it felt like a very uphill battle. From certain distances I could counterzone ok, but one wrong guess and there goes my health bar.
That's just Black Adam though. Pretty much any character you pick against him you have to go in with the mentality of never making the wrong move, it's stifling as hell like IGAU pre-nerf.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
He has a weakness. I noticed that a while ago, when I faced him. When you see him doing his magic against you, just jump forward. His magic works where you are, so you need to jump away from it.

So what potential buffs would you guys like given to this character?
I'm not sure how you address issues on a character by character basis because I think they are more symptomatic of a deeper problem with how the game is designed. Long range zoning is effective because the game's design favours that. Cold has no answer to that. He's meter dependent and his long range moves, projectile/deathsicle, are too slow to compete.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
I could be completely off base here but this is what I would like:
F21 plus 1 on block
12 ice puddle link
No reset if ice globe when they backdash
Ice wall plus 7 on hit
Trait doesn't go down to closes full trait bar after cinematics

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Give him Superman's f23, Adam's damage, Aquaman's chip, and.....just one of Harley's hyenas; come on, she's got 2 and he's gone none! In the immortal words of Donald Trump, "VERY UNFAIR".

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
Recently taken an interest in ol' Captain here. Seems like a lot of effort goes into charging trait for lvl 2 snow globe. What kind of big damage does the globe lead to?

Also, is there a guide or anything that goes over the basics?

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
So is there a Captain Cold Discord were most of the discussion is happening that I could get an invite to please? I'm digging my Mr. Freeze skin and this character seems like a fun hybrid zone/trap/rush style.

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem
I don't know if there is a guide but I would recommend to watch Buffalo for setups and then honeybee for neutral game.

would recommend to emphasize on the trap/rush style and less zone. against a zoner, his zoning is relying on momentum and 1 mistake could lead to a change of pace/enemy gaining meter.

Saboteur-6

Filthy Casual
I don't know if there is a guide but I would recommend to watch Buffalo for setups and then honeybee for neutral game.

would recommend to emphasize on the trap/rush style and less zone. against a zoner, his zoning is relying on momentum and 1 mistake could lead to a change of pace/enemy gaining meter.
I'm new to the character but just at quick glance he seems to need to rush/trap/setup more against zoner characters and zone/trap/setup more aginast rush character.

Thanks for the info about Buffalo and Honeybee. Any channel specifically I should be looking at for Buffalo / Honeybee stuff?

pogse

Ruthlesss Mayhem