What's new

Captain Cold General Discussion Thread

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
So, in the corner I like to use 122xxF4, d1xx[MB]db2. If they block the 122 and don't respect the plus frames, the d1xx[MB]db2 picks them up for ~686 dmg and 1 bar of trait back, ~626 dmg and 1.5 bars back, or ~580 dmg and both bars back. While messing around in the corner I noticed that if they just eat the 122, you can actually pick them up for a combo with the same d1xx[MB]db2. The timing of d1 is crazy tight, but it is a little bit of guarenteed damage, instead of hoping to open them up with Oki.

(I haven't spent any time actually optimizing the damage)
Even if you drop the d1 conversion, and they try to wake-up punish your drop, the trait slows them down enough (for the wake-ups i've tested) that you can get a really juicy punish on their punish attempt.

Earl

Noob
No captain colds the whole time. Every single character except for sub zero obviously. If Sonic fox would have been in winners in the grand finals I think he would have picked Captain cold as a troll. HE is officially the worst character in the game. I had high hopes for this character. Enjoy guys. bye

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
No captain colds the whole time. Every single character except for sub zero obviously. If Sonic fox would have been in winners in the grand finals I think he would have picked Captain cold as a troll. HE is officially the worst character in the game. I had high hopes for this character. Enjoy guys. bye
Sub Zero is banned from the tournies for 1 month. This is what was decided a while ago before INJ2 came out. We were discussing this since MKX.

I found a way to hit confirm icycle into 445 combo one bar.
In short... You Can hit confirm icycle into f2+3+mb big freeze or into a jump (This is harder but doable)... to do massive damage... minimum 400 with trait charging.

Quantus

Rain for MK12 Kombat Pack 3
When you MB db2, it's +5 on block, but it staggers the opponent really far back, so you can't capitalize on it with normals.

In the corner, instead of staggering the opponent backwards, it pushes you out of the corner, again making it so you can't capitalize with normals.

Now, if you are midscreen, and have a ice block behind your opponent, they will not be staggered back due to the ice block, and you will not be staggered back, because they aren't in a corner, and you are +5 right in their face.

Currently this has no real use, as the only way to force your opponent into this situation costs two bars itself(MB db3 and MB df2) but perhaps something to keep in mind if you ever can put your opponent into this midscreen corner.

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Icicles are far too easy to accidentally shoot out when trying to use f 2 after a crouch, whoever designed captain cold's command list needs to be fired.

Being god tier you can spend 2 bars in the corner ( like you'd ever freeze someone in the corner lawl ) to get an useless ambiguous crossup like this:

Winning evo material right there.
This is ass he thrives in the corner and can do big damage there don't give up damage for no set up like that lol

If You see a Jump back dive kick spamming Black Adam (every Black Adam ever), always do wall against their jump attempt (if you have the reactions, You buffer down back, and when you see dive kick press 2). This will beat any incoming dive-kick; Wall grants You air combo sometimes .

If I He don't do Dive-kick while Jumping, You can still mb wall to punish the landing frames.

This will make them lose the match and counter pick You with Superman:( or Harley Quinn:((Those match ups are impossible to me to win with Captain Cold in My opinion:().

If You see a spamming 50/50 Deadshot, when You got past of His zoning. the Deadshot will try to spam his 6f normal into 50/50's. Then spam wall when You fell he's going to do his 6f normal. This will Help You to make the M.U. more even. I almost won against a Deadshot forcing it to play neutral. But still He won by the end by a pixel:(

Last edited:
Aren't you getting punished by Deadshot if you whiff wall in front of him or if he blocks it?
1- the wall punish the advancing strings.
2-If they start blocking... do mb wall. They will not know that it can be interrupted.(sorry for the sarcastic answer before). Nobody thinks that Captain Cold can force them to play neutral.

Also.. If they spam wake up on a knockdown after You combed them. (every Deadshot player ever). Do wall immediately on a knockdown. It will beat their wake up. And finally.. We will play neutral instead of a spamming sequence.:DOGE

Last edited:

M.D.

Spammer. Crouch walk hater.
Ah..yes I guess the "nobody knows that it can be interrupted" is actually sadly true as nobody gives a crap about our char and nobody bothers to learn the matchup.

I was saying because my friends always d1 full combo me when I mb it so I just gave up until a potential fix (which, as we know, will never happen).

Anyone wanna talk about how the Cold Harley Quinn match-up sucks ass. I lost to two of them in WOTG this week
I don't want to... I went to a tourney Yesterday With Captain Cold ( I know It's a joke to even think to pick this character into a tourney. LMAO). I beat a guy's Black Adam with Cold and He Just decided to pick Harley Quinn.. Long story short.. I got destroyed.:(:(:(

Last edited:
LMAO know the feeling. The only good part is that I learned you can icewall the hiyenna and shot if Harley does the shot same time as the trait like they love doing. It will absorb both only if Harley doesn't meter burn the shot.

Da Tac0

GT: C88 Taco
My body is ready for buffs I picked up captain cold over the weekend since I was bored. Nothing more statisfying than winning with him online. Almost beat a spammy f23 man yesterday. I just dont know captain cold like the back of my hand yet.