What's new

Booyah! -- Cyborg General Discussion Thread

hmm i dont think any player has beaten me worse than pig's sinestro at this point (online but still)
sin/vs cy was like 10-3?
i'd much rather play against KDZ lol

that matchup is HARD

Relaxedstate have you played Pig/any other of the top sinestros? how do you approach it?

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
hmm i dont think any player has beaten me worse than pig's sinestro at this point (online but still)
sin/vs cy was like 10-3?
i'd much rather play against KDZ lol

that matchup is HARD

Relaxedstate have you played Pig/any other of the top sinestros? how do you approach it?
Yes. I have played Pig and ShujikyDink at UFGT. Also, sometimes online, including Playing 2 Win. I know it is bad for Cyborg, Pig thinks it is worse. It may be 3-7, however I just think I have yet to find a good strategy for dealing with him so I keep it at 4-6 haha.

Right now Sinestro gets to play his game 100% against Cyborg. Cyborgs dash is still amazing so I like to dash/block in to about midscreen. From here Sinestro will be to afraid to actually charge his trait.... (Pig will do trait fakeout charge traps to try and bait you to move :X) When you close the distance grapple can be effective. Never use it to just get in as d2 will blow you up. You need to use grapple's armor to absorb a boulder, fearblast, or that shackles move. All have long recovery frames so for Sinestro so depending on where you grappled from you either get a free in for pressure...or free wiff punish! Watch out for MB fear blast though.... Also luckily, by this point Sinestro has put himself in the corner so he risks taking huge damage from Cyborg's corner combos/vortex.

Sinestro actully haas great footsie tools compared to Cyborg, so I don't like to fight him midscreen. Need to respect that gimmicky wiff/low spike attack he does. Also, I hate that ambiguous jump axe thing he does.

If you get a significant lifelead and meter advantage you can outzone Sinestro. IANB will trade with bloulder, enough to recover to block, trade with fearblast, enough to duck or block, and will trade and trade with those foot shackles, which will wiff (hit and a free dash in). MB fearblast is a problem, but just use Air NovaBlast MB to dodge them. Also, I find checking him with Ground fireballs is good to do, and if you get a chance to start missle pressure...TAKE IT!

It is tough, and I am still trying to find a good strat for this MU, but Sinestro just outdamages and out footsies Cyborg. More reward for his reads, and if Sinestro gets the life lead (usually happens) then you have to try and dash in, which means Sinestro gets to play the game his character was designed for and Cyborg does not :(

TimTim

Don't Hate
Idk if any of you play on stick, but from what I remember Jailhouse does.
For stick players I'm wondering how you manage to do IANB, I'm so used to tiger kneeing getting fireballs so low is a struggle.
I play on alternate but if switching to MK9 controls would help I'd try.

Idk if any of you play on stick, but from what I remember Jailhouse does.
For stick players I'm wondering how you manage to do IANB, I'm so used to tiger kneeing getting fireballs so low is a struggle.
I play on alternate but if switching to MK9 controls would help I'd try.
switching to mk9 controls will help. or buy a hitbox (what i did)

Yes. I have played Pig and ShujikyDink at UFGT. Also, sometimes online, including Playing 2 Win. I know it is bad for Cyborg, Pig thinks it is worse. It may be 3-7, however I just think I have yet to find a good strategy for dealing with him so I keep it at 4-6 haha.

Right now Sinestro gets to play his game 100% against Cyborg. Cyborgs dash is still amazing so I like to dash/block in to about midscreen. From here Sinestro will be to afraid to actually charge his trait.... (Pig will do trait fakeout charge traps to try and bait you to move :X) When you close the distance grapple can be effective. Never use it to just get in as d2 will blow you up. You need to use grapple's armor to absorb a boulder, fearblast, or that shackles move. All have long recovery frames so for Sinestro so depending on where you grappled from you either get a free in for pressure...or free wiff punish! Watch out for MB fear blast though.... Also luckily, by this point Sinestro has put himself in the corner so he risks taking huge damage from Cyborg's corner combos/vortex.

Sinestro actully haas great footsie tools compared to Cyborg, so I don't like to fight him midscreen. Need to respect that gimmicky wiff/low spike attack he does. Also, I hate that ambiguous jump axe thing he does.

If you get a significant lifelead and meter advantage you can outzone Sinestro. IANB will trade with bloulder, enough to recover to block, trade with fearblast, enough to duck or block, and will trade and trade with those foot shackles, which will wiff (hit and a free dash in). MB fearblast is a problem, but just use Air NovaBlast MB to dodge them. Also, I find checking him with Ground fireballs is good to do, and if you get a chance to start missle pressure...TAKE IT!

It is tough, and I am still trying to find a good strat for this MU, but Sinestro just outdamages and out footsies Cyborg. More reward for his reads, and if Sinestro gets the life lead (usually happens) then you have to try and dash in, which means Sinestro gets to play the game his character was designed for and Cyborg does not :(
yeah fearblast is a huge problem. Grappling doesnt work because of that god damned down 2. If he hits you with a boulder he gets a full trait. if he knocks you out of the air with fear blast he gets like a full trait. once he has trait youre completely screwed. Is fireball v. meteor/fearblast an even trade damage wise?
im picking up zod might try him for this matchup and a few others. Or i might just batgirl this one. Some matchups in this game are just not worth trying with.. its kinda depressing

That makes sense no wonder you were so clean vs. Pig.
Hitboxes are cool and all but I'm not ready to buy one just to be able to do IAF in one game. Thanks though.
you dont need a hitbox, relaxed uses a regular stick and does it basically the same as me. i do however think hitbox gives slightly more control, especially when youre not already in the fireball rhythm (ie doing a really low iafb straight up once the first time without already being in rhythm throwing them is much easier on a hitbox)

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
yeah fearblast is a huge problem. Grappling doesnt work because of that god damned down 2. If he hits you with a boulder he gets a full trait. if he knocks you out of the air with fear blast he gets like a full trait. once he has trait youre completely screwed. Is fireball v. meteor/fearblast an even trade damage wise?
im picking up zod might try him for this matchup and a few others. Or i might just batgirl this one. Some matchups in this game are just not worth trying with.. its kinda depressing
Yeah I love Cyborg...but when I run into some characters I just HAVE to counter-pick to avoid the bop hammer.
Only grapple when you know you can absorb the boulder/single fear blast. Basically the d2 buff to the cast was actually a Cyborg Nerf haha. Trading with fear blast is even....Boulder trade sucks too becasue like aquaman he can MB it before he is interrupted. If you are on point you should get safe trades, though this is rather difficult online

TEARS :(

doesnt really matter in NY though since noone here plays sinestro NEARLY as good as that lol at least noone that goes to the locals

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
Hey Cyborg community, just checking in with everyone and seeing if there's anything you guys would like to be done on and around this forum to improve things.

Espio

Kokomo
Lead Moderator
I keep seeing a lot of very rushdown heavy Cyborg players and I was thinking of picking him back up for real, but what has been deterring me is my inability to get a lot of consistent iafb's out to zone a lot. I'm a pad player, but the motion just seems awkward to me so I'm hoping my new pad will help whenever it comes in.

It's a personal problem for me as I've never been able to do them consistently with any character other than Sindel in MK9 because the input for her fireballs seems to be more fluid/smooth for me anyway.

TL;DR: I was wondering if you guys think Cyborg could cut it off of a really strong rushdown and footsie game with so-so zoning? I know zoning is one of his biggest strengths though so I will need to try to get past the input that just seems really awkward for me.

Cyborg has got to have the widest range of MU's. He uterrly destroys Grundy and Lex but then gets raped by characters like Sinestro :(

I was hoping he'd be a great compliment to Hawkgirl's more annoying match ups, but Sinestro seems to give him fits too. Aquaman is a match up where Cyborg gets his clock cleaned for free haha.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
The problem with trying to play Cyborg as a rushdown character is that his tools don't really suit it well. His damage payoff isn't great and in order to keep yourself safe you have to block confirm into Sonic Disruptor which has big push back, and in order to score meaningful damage you need to use mb power fist which pushes back full screen.

All his tools allow him to push the opponent back; power fist, sonic disruptor and the push back on blocked nova blaster, which means that staying in and scoring meaningful damage is hard for him.

You don't need to be a machine at IANB, use the grounded on primarily and use the air shots as air control and anti-airing.

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Just got the patch and messing with Cyborgs trait. Man its gdlk now. Better than I hoped. Instant activation builds health hella quick. Cyborg players should be happy. I don't see a difference in the grapple in combo's though, feels exactly the same.

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
Just got the patch and messing with Cyborgs trait. Man its gdlk now. Better than I hoped. Instant activation builds health hella quick. Cyborg players should be happy. I don't see a difference in the grapple in combo's though, feels exactly the same.
how much health does full activation regenerate?

Relaxedstate

PTH|RM Relaxedstate
Like 15 percent in less than a second. Its hella good.
Lol. It is about 13% in 2 seconds. And they lied to us, it does not start healing on the first tick. 4xxNB or whatever doesn't heal when cancel instantly. Thus you will not be using this every 8 seconds, and it will be MU/Situational dependent.

Still good though. I am finding that the best time to use it is after you get missiles out full screen, and they decide to respect them and hold block (Then cancel into fireball).

Also, finding that using it at the end of a combo midscreen/close , then baiting a wakeup or rushdown and canceling in into MB B3 for a 40%+ combo

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
I dunno I think I got more than 13 percent, someone needs get out a stop watch and get exact numbers. It seems really good to me. Much improved.