What's new

Blue Beetle Match Up Discussion

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Most stuff looks good, but some dissenting opinions of mine below:

Superman I think is 4-6 in favor of Supes. Blue Beetle does fine against him, but the superior reward on his zoning/counter zoning and superior footsies stops this from being a solid break even match up.

Cyborg 5-5. Cyborg's pressure is highly overrated and Blue Beetle handles it perfectly fine especially since all options of his down 1 check for frame data are unsafe (either due to having a gap or being FCP on block).

The speed and recovery of Beetle's projectiles means Cyborg can't just air straight fireball for free and Cyborg is very weak when knocked down to the point we get nearly free pressure on him.

You mostly just stay at mid range where you can zone/counter zone and make him feel uncomfortable. Your mobility keeps in full step with his because he can't cover every part of the screen simultaneously. We have a good walk speed coupled with flight and his projectiles aren't fast enough to not also be vulnerable to float baits.

I'd also say Harley is 5-5. She has great options versus Beetle and Hyenas are annoying BUT projectile trades are favorable to him with faster start up and more chip. He also can hover at ranges where a lot of her projectiles whiff and obviously she has an anti-air gun shot to check approaches, but it's still a lot she has to think about while zoning. It feels like whoever gets the life lead first wins the match up more so than anything.
Ok as I have said before I do understand the reasoning with the Superman I wont go into detail with this since I have already spoke about this many many times before.

With Cyborg I disagree with what you say about his zoning in every situation he wins the trade. This adds up to a decent life lead in the end meaning beetle has to go in. Once Beetle is knocked down he can then apply his trait or TA pressure. Beetle cannot go into flight with any of this because the cyborg player can IAFB.

I agree when you say that whom ever gets the life lead has a big advantage but I would like to mention Harley's gunshot travels incredibly fast similar to jokers gunshot this causes a problem because she can take a shot on whiff and still have time to punish Beetles counter shot on startup. The hyenas are not that big of an issue in this match up but cupcake bombs are very annoying to deal with for Beetle if he gets tagged by one or the mb version it does real decent damage and means that Beetle has to start again waiting to time his projectile again or attempt to get in.

Quite a bit of those winning match ups should be even imo.

Like explain your reasoning on fate? Air fireball is not enough to have a significant advantage
Air fireball is a huge part of this MU but not the definitive factor the most useful tool in this matchup is his air dash from flight stance. This goes over all his projectiles and can punish Fates db1 (I think the orb right?) and even if you do not get a punish you get a free j2 into pressure that is extremely hard for fate to deal with.
If fates expecting the flight cancel's it means hes waiting to anti air so hes respecting you more meaning you can start you zoning game as you go in for pressure. Once your in the mid-close range Fate finds it extremely hard to deal with Beetle.

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
I dont have a huge amount of BB experience but I think he goes even with Grodd.
Can you explain how so?
I have had quite a lot of experience against Grodd and it just seems Beetle deals with everything extremely well especially in trait stance.
Would love some insight on this however.

ShadyHeart

Relationship with Sonya ended
Why do you think BB loses against Batman and Catwoman?

@RagingRicans why don't you think BB wins the cold MU?
Catwoman matchup probably has a lot to do with J.2, her good mobility, and her dashing slash. Whip his ass right out of the air. Might even get a bit better with it being angled more upwards. The nerfs to her armor and wakeup will hurt quite a bit though.

DubiousShenron

Beware my power.
@Sesal Snow Fate vs Beetle feels slightly in BB's favor due to Fates unreliable air control. I expect this MU to become 5-5 once they give Doctor Fate better air control in the form of a better b2/d2.

We gotta run it back once the patch drops

This is the most accurate mu chart for BB that I've seen. I agree with all of these.

...also Harley could potentially be his worst mu and i really do not think he has any 3-7s so far in the current meta. Well i disagree with the adam mu number. I think BB/adam is even.

Espio

Kokomo
Yea i too would like to know how he doesn't...

I know @Espio plays both characters so his take on the mu would be helpful as well. @Syknis thinks cheetah wins the mu due to the knockdown meta in the mu.
I have it as 5-5. She has good oki options, but no answers to blocked shield bash and his mobility keeps in step with hers. Jump 1 is really good against lunge in attempts and she cannot low profile under air projectiles with lunge which also catch her trying to come in. I don't see why either would win but if either were to win I'd rather play Beetle in the match up. It's super reminiscent of the Flash match up to me except she has fewer frame traps but a safer means on block to get in so it balances out. I can expound in greater detail if needed.

Eldagrin

Add me on PS4 if you want to play some games
As a Harley main I'm curious about the reasons why she wins the MU? I've only played one beetle player in a set but I lost more than I won, more than likely due to the fact that he was a better player than me though.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
Also disagree with Cold losing haven't played against BB as much as is I'd like but they can both keep each other out but once Cold gets lvl 2 trait then he outzones him

We can play sometime if you'd like
Psn EMPRNINEQUADS