What's new

Blue Beetle Match Up Discussion

Sesal Snow

Exorcist, Demonologist and Master of the Dark Arts
Ok so this is where I get blown up.
Just from my experience with each MU.
Obviously subject to change with each balance patch.

.My Blue Beetle Match up Chart.

Aquaman 5/5

Atrocitus 6/4
Bane 6/4

Batman 4/6
Black Adam 5/5
Black Canary 6/4
Blue Beetle 5/5
Brainiac 6/4
Captain Cold 6/4

Catwoman 4/6
Cheetah 6/4
Cyborg 4/6
Darkseid 5/5
Deadshot 4/6
Dr Fate 6/4
Firestorm 6/4

Flash 5/5
Gorilla Grodd 6/4
Green Arrow 5/5
Green Lantern 5/5

Harley Quinn 4/6
Joker 6/4
Ivy 6/4

Red Hood 5/5
Robin 6/4
Scarecrow 5/5
SubZero 6/4
Supergirl 5/5
Superman 5/5

Swampthing 6/4
Wonderwoman 5/5

14 Winning MU's
12 Even MU's
5 Loosing MU's

Please discuss.

Patch 1.07

Aquaman 5/5

Atrocitus 6/4
Bane 6/4

Batman 4/6 - 5/5 (DEBATABLE)
Black Adam 5/5
Black Canary 6/4
Blue Beetle 5/5
Brainiac 5/5
Captain Cold 5/5
Catwoman 5/5

Cheetah 6/4
Cyborg 5/5
Darkseid 5/5

Deadshot 4/6
Dr Fate 5/5
Firestorm 6/4
Flash 5/5
Gorilla Grodd 6/4
Green Arrow 5/5
Green Lantern 5/5
Harley Quinn 5/5

Joker 6/4
Ivy 6/4

Red Hood 5/5
Robin 6/4
Scarecrow 5/5
Starfirw 5/5

SubZero 6/4
Supergiril 5/5
Superman (In my opinion) 5/5
- I can see why people say it's a loss however) 4/6 (DEBATABLE)
Swampthing 6/4
Wonderwoman 5/5

11 Winning MU's
19 Even MU's
2 Loosing MU's

Patch 1.11 (Current Patch?)

Aquaman 5/5
Atrocitus 6/4
Bane 6/4

Batman 4/6
Black Adam 5/5
Black Canary 6/4
Black Manta 5/5
Blue Beetle 5/5
Brainiac 5/5

Captain Cold 6/4
Catwoman 5/5
Cheetah 5/5
Cyborg 5/5
Darkseid 5/5

Deadshot 4/6
Dr Fate 6/4
Firestorm 5/5
Flash 5/5

Gorilla Grodd 6/4
Green Arrow 4/6
Green Lantern 5/5
Harley Quinn 5/5

Joker 6/4
Ivy 6/4

Raiden 5/5
Red Hood 5/5
Robin 5/5

Scarecrow 5/5
Starfire 5/5
SubZero 6/4
Supergirl 5/5
Superman 5/5

Swampthing 6/4
Wonderwoman 5/5

10 Winning MU's
21 Even MU's
3 Loosing MU's

Please discuss your thought's for this patch thanks.

Last edited:
Regardless of accuracy (which I'm not a good judge of) this is already the best matchup chart for both being alphabetically ordered and color coded.

Curious about Darkseid vs Beetle. This is my pain point matchup with Beetle. As I can't do alot of my float bullshit, and who outzones who feels like whoever got the last knockdown.

Sesal Snow

I normally expect these match up charts to be based on however that person did vs each character once or twice on ranked.

Can't say that I can say this about this one tho. Pleasantly optimistic. I think Superman wins but i'll hold the Superman downplay. @RagingRicans
Yeah I mean a lot of us Beetle players debate if its a 5/5 or 6/4
from my experience so far I have not had to much problems Beetle can counter zone very well and can deal with supe's pressure very well.
Superman just has the damage advantage in my eyes but this is just how I feel about that match up.

Tweedy

Noob
Yeah I mean a lot of us Beetle players debate if its a 5/5 or 6/4
from my experience so far I have not had to much problems Beetle can counter zone very well and can deal with supe's pressure very well.
Superman just has the damage advantage in my eyes but this is just how I feel about that match up.
Yeah I feel it could be 6-4 or 5-5. Definitely winnable for Lord Beetle.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I see a lot of people say BB beats Atros but I don't see it!

Would love to fight a competent BB to see for myself
Float when used well forces Atro to either take a huge risk and try to challenge BB in the air, or he just has to wait until BB comes back down. BB can outzone Atro really hard even without shield, and can abuse d1 shield bash (or regular shield bash) once Atro gets in to reset to neutral.

In truth most BB's I play don't play the matchup optimally. That is staying back and zoning for as long as possible, pushblocking Atro once he gets in, and rinse and repeat. He really doesn't need to do anything else. I still stand by it being Atro's worst matchup.

Sesal Snow

I see a lot of people say BB beats Atros but I don't see it!

Would love to fight a competent BB to see for myself
Ok so in that matchup Beetle can stay in the air for the most part and avoid puddle, Trait etc.
He out zones Atro pretty well and because of all the flight cancels and fast recovering projectiles Beetle always has meter and a lot of it so as soon as you call the Puddy cat out he can dodge with his flight and pushblock Atro away.

IrishMantis

Most humble shit talker ever!!!
Ok so in that matchup Beetle can stay in the air for the most part and avoid puddle, Trait etc.
He out zones Atro pretty well and because of all the flight cancels and fast recovering projectiles Beetle always has meter and a lot of it so as soon as you call the Puddy cat out he can dodge with his flight and pushblock Atro away.
Float when used well forces Atro to either take a huge risk and try to challenge BB in the air, or he just has to wait until BB comes back down. BB can outzone Atro really hard even without shield, and can abuse d1 shield bash (or regular shield bash) once Atro gets in to reset to neutral.

In truth most BB's I play don't play the matchup optimally. That is staying back and zoning for as long as possible, pushblocking Atro once he gets in, and rinse and repeat. He really doesn't need to do anything else. I still stand by it being Atro's worst matchup.
You both share similar stong points, but if the Atros gets the life leads with trait slowly and then plays defensively only using his trait for nothing over extended I can see it working.
I think patience could be key.

Not saying it's not in BB favour I just think in theory there could be options to exhaust

Sesal Snow

You both share similar stong points, but if the Atros gets the life leads with trait slowly and then plays defensively only using his trait for nothing over extended I can see it working.

Not saying it's not in BB favour I just think in theory there could be options to exhaust
Even if he gets the life lead what can he do to play defensive? Beetle can just pelt him with blue cheerio projectiles for chip whilst building meter and dealing plenty of chip.
Once Beetle gets in Atro has to deal with beetles game.
b2 df1 is a overhead low
b23 is a overhead cross up overhead
b2ffmb is an overhead overhead that leads into +5
If Atro even gets tagged by something like this it can easily give Beetle the life back and its a lot easier to maintain for Beetle than Atro.
Beetles up close game is a lot better than his zoning game in my opinion its just match ups like this zoning is huge because its hard for Atro to deal with it compared to other chars.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart

It's 6-4, it's not unwinnable. But you shouldn't get the life lead because Blue Beetle can just jump and fly back to start zoning every time. And if you are playing defensively you're giving him the meter advantage and tons of chip damage and for what? So he can shield bash you and do it over again?

The turtle strategy is actually my go to strategy for a bunch of MUs and is how I think the character should be played. However, BB is not the character to do that on. You have to try and time shield properly and then get in his face and try and stay in his face for as long as possible. A good BB should be running away whenever possible, and trying to turtle out a good one will not work.

RagingRicans

NetBattles
I don't think you play the Atro MU solely by turtling and I feel like you need to stay mostly grounded in the MU. Floating gives up too much ground and frame advantage and you are more likely to get clipped by trait. You don't want to block anything until you have to. Shield bash keeps him in check lol, but few MU's I would probably change:
Braniac 5-5

Captain Cold 5-5

Cyborg 5-5

Swamp thing 7-3

Firestorm 5-5

Superman 5.5-4.5

Supergirl 4-6 ( Maybe a little controversial)

I honestly feel like he has even MU's everywhere not a lot stands out, but I'm a chronic upplayer

He definitely does not lose to Cyborg and he does not 6-4 cold

Last edited:

RagingRicans

NetBattles
Regardless of accuracy (which I'm not a good judge of) this is already the best matchup chart for both being alphabetically ordered and color coded.

Curious about Darkseid vs Beetle. This is my pain point matchup with Beetle. As I can't do alot of my float bullshit, and who outzones who feels like whoever got the last knockdown.
Darksied does not outzone beetle. He can shoot a projectile and duck a counter laser. Forcing darksied to come in or risk a teleport whole you're waiting with a crisp 6 frame d2. It could honestly be in Beebs favor tbh. Why can't you do float bullshit?

Sesal Snow

I don't think you play the Atro MU solely by turtling and I feel like you need to stay mostly grounded in the MU. Floating gives up too much ground and frame advantage and you are more likely to get clipped by trait. You don't want to block anything until you have to. Shield bash keeps him in check lol, but few MU's I would probably change:
Braniac 5-5

Captain Cold 5-5

Cyborg 5-5

Swamp thing 7-3

Firestorm 5-5

Superman 5.5-4.5

Supergirl 4-6 ( Maybe a little controversial)

I honestly feel like he has even MU's everywhere not a lot stands out, but I'm a chronic upplayer

He definitely does not lose to Cyborg and he does not 6-4 cold
Ok reason I put these match ups the way I did:

Captain Cold: I don't understand why this would be 5/5 Beetles zoning is 10 times better, Your flight stops him from hitting his projectile and the Ice spike. The puddle is useless because any jump in you do you can flight cancel on reaction. most of the time you don't even need to be air born.

Cyborg: Reason I got cyborg as a 6/4 is because he out zones beetles his projectile does more damage and he can do a straight projectile in the air to counter your flight options. Most strings that Cyborg has are + and only thing beetle can contest with is a pushblock, Backdash or a risky fraudulent d1 if the Cyborg commits to a slow start up string. Beetle tends to win a lot of Mu's because of his meter gain and one thing about Cyborg is he has pretty much the same meter gain as Beetle. Dealing with IAFB's is also a bit of a struggle for Beetle because he does not have many options to get around it. Combo wise the do similar damage but the overall neutral is in Cyborg favour I believe.

Swampthing: Ok I understand why a lot of people say this could be a 7-3. Thing is people only judge this Mu because of the zoning people believe that because Beetles zoning is so fast and you can keep checking with bf3, f2 etc that swampthing has a horrific time getting in. Fact is its extremely easy for Swamp to walk in. I actually main Swampthing with Beetle and know this mu very well. Swampthing has the damage and the nice wakeup game but he lacks in mobility and has many many gaps in his strings which is why I made this a 6/4 on my chart and not a 7/3 I don't believe that swampthing gets absolutely destroyed in this MU.

Firestorm: Ok I put firestorm as a 6/4 for the reason that its a similar MU as ivy. Yes Firestorm can stop you jumping by using his air torpedo but what a lot of Beetles should be doing is baiting it with an instant flight cancel. If the opponent then torpedoes you will get a full combo punish. Once they start respecting you flight cancel bait's which they will have to you can just zone away Firestorm is grounded for the most part you can jump his projectile fly over them, you can shoot a projectile and still block molten trap thanks to the quick recovery on Beetles projectile.

Brainiac: Ok I have a lot of experience in this MU as 3 of my friends play Brainiac and the reason I made the a 6/4 for Beetle is because Beetle stop Brainiac playing his game. Beetle out zones Brainiac big time and the only option for the most part for Brainiac to get in is to use in tentacle hentai jump malarcky. Now when he jumps you have to be respectful because he could dive kick you out of a air to air or a d2 right? Wrong Beetles can trait up and use his new super long reaching 6 frame d2 to anti air anything Brainiac has. So what can Brainiac do now? He cant keep setting up with beta drones and cant jump because we anti air on reaction he basically has to walk in like a dam Swampthing.

Superman: Yeah this is one that is definitely up for debate. As I have said before the Beetle community is a little torn on this some believe its 5/5 others think 4/6. The reason I put this 5/5 is because Beetle can out zone Supes for the most part. Superman cant contest your zoning grounded your projectile is far to fast and has fast recovery and the only time he can contest is by using his air lazer. The second he jump you can jump
and with a well timed ji db2 ji bf2 you can punish him on the way down from lazer. Another reason I got this a 5/5 is because Beetle can deal with Supes pressure very well, he can pushblock because of all the meter he builds he can low profile f2 at max range with his d3. The reason I believe this could possibly be a 6/4 to superman is because Superman has a lot more damage than Beetle and has an easier time dealing with Beetle than Beetle has dealing with Supes. So for now I have this at a hard 5/5

Supergirl: Ok my training partner whom I play with every day actually mains Supergirl and I don't see any evidence to why she would beat Beetle. Beetle can contest with her lazer zoning with trades very well and you can simply d1 df1 mb punish all of her gaps in her strings. On knockdown she can't do much either its a free walk up into 50/50. I feel at the moment she is just a lacking Superman. Her damage is not the best, All her strings have huge gaps, her zoning is mediocre etc.

Just some of the reasons why I put these matchup numbers the way they are. If you have any insight to why I am wrong please do discuss. Thanks.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
From my experience as a Cyborg main he goes even with Blue Beetle imo. Why do you think he loses?

Sesal Snow

From my experience as a Cyborg main he goes even with Blue Beetle imo. Why do you think he loses?
Explained in above post ^_^

Cyborg: Reason I got cyborg as a 6/4 is because he out zones beetles his projectile does more damage and he can do a straight projectile in the air to counter your flight options. Most strings that Cyborg has are + and only thing beetle can contest with is a pushblock, Backdash or a risky fraudulent d1 if the Cyborg commits to a slow start up string. Beetle tends to win a lot of Mu's because of his meter gain and one thing about Cyborg is he has pretty much the same meter gain as Beetle. Dealing with IAFB's is also a bit of a struggle for Beetle because he does not have many options to get around it. Combo wise the do similar damage but the overall neutral is in Cyborg favour I believe.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
Color coded matchup charts are rad. Haven't played against many good beetles but in my mind I can see it being pretty bad for Swamp Ass

Darksied does not outzone beetle. He can shoot a projectile and duck a counter laser. Forcing darksied to come in or risk a teleport whole you're waiting with a crisp 6 frame d2. It could honestly be in Beebs favor tbh. Why can't you do float bullshit?
Haha, you're right I just tried it out.

I was waiting way too long for those lasers to pass over me before I stood and did EC. (It was sorta deceptive at which point of the Omega Beam was an active hitbox)

Espio

Kokomo
Most stuff looks good, but some dissenting opinions of mine below:

Superman I think is 4-6 in favor of Supes. Blue Beetle does fine against him, but the superior reward on his zoning/counter zoning and superior footsies stops this from being a solid break even match up.

Cyborg 5-5. Cyborg's pressure is highly overrated and Blue Beetle handles it perfectly fine especially since all options of his down 1 check for frame data are unsafe (either due to having a gap or being FCP on block).

The speed and recovery of Beetle's projectiles means Cyborg can't just air straight fireball for free and Cyborg is very weak when knocked down to the point we get nearly free pressure on him.

You mostly just stay at mid range where you can zone/counter zone and make him feel uncomfortable. Your mobility keeps in full step with his because he can't cover every part of the screen simultaneously. We have a good walk speed coupled with flight and his projectiles aren't fast enough to not also be vulnerable to float baits.

I'd also say Harley is 5-5. She has great options versus Beetle and Hyenas are annoying BUT projectile trades are favorable to him with faster start up and more chip. He also can hover at ranges where a lot of her projectiles whiff and obviously she has an anti-air gun shot to check approaches, but it's still a lot she has to think about while zoning. It feels like whoever gets the life lead first wins the match up more so than anything.