What's new

Blue Beetle General Discussion Thread

I'm trying to learn Blue Beetle but I'm kinda confused on how I'm supposed to play him. His normals dont have great reach and its pretty hard to open people up. I'm assuming I should be using my flight more but I'm not sure how. I've mostly just been zoning and using my flight to escape. Is their any good blue beetle gameplay I can look at to reference?

Bro---- Activate his trait. His normals have some of the best reach in the game for a character that has pure 50/50s

-LD50-

In a relationship with Killer Frost
how you guys feeling about beetle? hows he handle the zoner riddled cast this game has?

He looks pretty fun to play and i honestly think aesthetically he is the coolest looking character in the game

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Ok I got df1mb4 timing down, the 4 is super late and let's you do j3 211+3.
EDIT I meant b3 j3 211+3

Against zoners I have had decent success but haven't fought them much outside of ranked. BB is one of the few characters who my can move across the whole screen without touching the ground. You just have to think of your hovers as a mixup.

Last edited:

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
a friend (@imblackjames) showed me this combo, someone did it to him in ranked

whatever into df1mb 3bf2 f2bf3 --it's the best damage and oki i've seen off that so far, and you can do it from either since stance switch during combos is a thing, which still makes me so happy

Branden Delio

PSN: C9-Keiji
a friend (@imblackjames) showed me this combo, someone did it to him in ranked

whatever into df1mb 3bf2 f2bf3 --it's the best damage and oki i've seen off that so far, and you can do it from either since stance switch during combos is a thing, which still makes me so happy
This combo was posted prior in this exact forum im pretty sure cus its the one im using and i read it from this website.

I wanted to main Swamp Thing first but man this guy has a sexy kit and an even better look, so I've been labbing with him the most.

Can't wait to get a handle on his flight cancels and trait. Dude's moveset seems so fluid.

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
I found a hit box inconsistency with his DB1 (forget what the move is called)

If memory serves me well it does fine in the corner, but midscreen or just out of corner position against small bodied fighters, it will 100% whiff off of his 111 string.. can somebody lab and see if it will hit midscreen off of any strings?

I will do it when I get home from work if not.

Im losing my patience with the character. He feels just awful. His zoning is easy to get in on, and if you every go in they can literally just hold back and your normals are trash so youll never land anything.

Jaku2011

Filled with determination
I found a hit box inconsistency with his DB1 (forget what the move is called)

If memory serves me well it does fine in the corner, but midscreen or just out of corner position against small bodied fighters, it will 100% whiff off of his 111 string.. can somebody lab and see if it will hit midscreen off of any strings?

I will do it when I get home from work if not.
111 db1 only works on big boys like Atrocitus. It will work on superman sized opponenents only on d1.
Im losing my patience with the character. He feels just awful. His zoning is easy to get in on, and if you every go in they can literally just hold back and your normals are trash so youll never land anything.
He has a lot of issues but that only means that the patch gods will probably be on our side friend.

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
I see what you are saying, yes, it can be tough to open people up without 50/50s.
You have to have a pretty solid foundation it seems to play him effectively. You have to use your pressure strings, you have to grab a lot, and you have to use your spacing/ footsies while in trait to get the whiff punishes you need.

in regards to opening up an opponent, try doing a block string into a down 3 to condition them, then stagger a 11 or something into a Back 2.

boom. opened up (hopefully)
Hopefully this helps.. Don't give up on him just yet

It seems that at least from what I know so far, he is a fairly honest fighter..

Last edited:
I see what you are saying, yes, it can be tough to open people up without 50/50s.
You have to have a pretty solid foundation it seems to play him effectively. You have to use your pressure strings, you have to grab a lot, and you have to use your spacing/ footsies while in trait to get the whiff punishes you need.

in regards to opening up an opponent, try doing a block string into a down 3 to condition them, then stagger a 11 or something into a Back 2.

boom. opened up (hopefully)
Hopefully this helps.. Don't give up on him just yet

It seems that at least from what I know so far, he is a fairly honest fighter..
Yeah he's way too fair and honest. I've been maining Atrocitus and its just so much easier to play and he feels a lot better. I just wish beetle had more range on his normals without trait...

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Midscreen Combos I've been labbing, trying to get optimal damage. Gotta get metered anti airs, then all air to airs. (No combos with super, yet.) Hope this helps. Formatting got all fucked up but it looks pretty on my google docs.

Combos

• Grounded
    • Meterless (Both)
      • StringxxEnder = 180 - 216

• D2, f23, j2, 3xxdb1 = 221 (Side Switch/Oki)

• F23, j2, 3xxdb1 = 245 (Side Switch/Oki)

• F23, j2, 33xxbf3 = 249
    • Meterless (Blades)
      • F23, j2, 21Throw = 254

• F23, j2, 33xxbf3 = 253 (Side Switch)

• 13xxdb2d, 1, f23, j2, 3xxdb1 = 263 (Side Switch/Oki)

• 13xxdb2d, 1, f23, j2, 21Throw = 268
    • Meterless (Fists)
      • D2, 3xxbf2, f23xxbf3 = 244
    • 1 Bar (Both)
      • StringxxDF1mb[Fists], 3xxbf2, f23xxbf3 = 321 - 406

• F23, j2, 3xxDB1mb, (one step forward) B3, j2, 3xxbf3 = 320

• F23, j2, 3xxDB1mb, (one step forward) B3, j2, 3xxdb1 = 324 (Side Switch/Oki)

• D2, f23, j2, 3xxDF1mb[Blades], 21Throw = 267

• (mb)B3, j3, 111xxbf3 = 439 - 444

• (mb)F3, j3, 111xxbf3 = 439 - 444
    • 1 Bar (Fists)
      • (mb)B3, j3, 3xxbf2, f23xxbf3 = 480 (If Blast hits below them, use this. If blast hits their feet, use next one.)

• (mb)B3, j3, 3xxbf2, bf3 = 447
    • 1 Bar (Blades)
      • StringxxBF3mb = 197 - 289
    • 2 Bars (Both)
      • StringxxdbMB, j3, 111xxbf3 = 476 - 513
    • 2 Bars (Fists)
      • StringxxdbMB, j3, 3xxbf2, f23xxbf3 = 516 - 544
  • Anti Air:
    • Meterless (Both)
      • d2, j2, 3xxdb1 = 212 (Side Switch/Oki)
    • Meterless (Blades)
      • d2, f23, b3, j2, 3xxdb1 = 256 (Blades make this more consistent)

• D2, f23, j2, 21Throw = 227

• D2, f23, j2, 33xxbf3 = 226 (Side Switch)
    • Meterless (Fists)
      • D2, j2, 3xxbf1, f23xxbf3 = 271 (Works best when they’re directly overhead. If the blast hits underneath as they’re falling use this. If the blast hits their feet, use the next one.)

• D2, j2, 3xxbf1, bf3 = 242

Last edited:

InFlames

dead
Here's some stuff I found during the online beta that still works. Probably already found by others.

only works vs small characters
b2 fireball only combos vs big characters but still jails on everyone

Last edited:
I just cant play this character anymore. Its unbelievable how hard you have to work just to beat mediocre players using top tier. This character is in a really bad spot.