What's new

Blue Beetle General Discussion Thread

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
So by changing when you fly forward, you can change what side your jump-in hits on
it isnt safe on faster wake-ups but you can delay flight and just cancel and bait the wake-up
Although if you fly over it seems to reverse the wake-up so thats a thing.
That first setup looks good especially if you can make them whiff punish them :D

Nuovo_Cabjoy

G O R O B O Y S
Small note that I'm sure some use, but still worth mentioning. You can late cancel f2 into bf3, meaning the bf3 will come out on hit or block but the full f23 string WON'T come out if f2 whiffs. Useful for keeping yourself safer when fishing for whiff punishes mid screen.

Any advice on timing a second hover. Can only get it inconsistently and im not sure when to press the db2 again the first. Does the direction you move efffect the timing?

F23, 33, 111 Shield/ mandible yields decent meterless dmg.. it's also a stupid easy convert...
I am working on some stuff with forward 3 off of the string right now...
I've been trying to make habit of f23 < f3 < jip2 <db2 <jip2 < 13 <db2 < 11bf3 / b1.

Getting f23 to hit in the corner is few and far between in my experience though unless its a punish.

Personally f2 being a slow, but his only great mid, think f23 should be cancellable on block. F2<bf2/bf3 is still good though.

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
I've been trying to make habit of f23 < f3 < jip2 <db2 <jip2 < 13 <db2 < 11bf3 / b1.

Getting f23 to hit in the corner is few and far between in my experience though unless its a punish.

Personally f2 being a slow, but his only great mid, think f23 should be cancellable on block. F2<bf2/bf3 is still good though.
yeah, I am playing matches with a good GL Sunday, so I am wanting to test how good F2 3 is at whiff punishing GL's B12
that is kinda all I have been using F2 3 for (whiff punish) with the exception of combo extension.

yeah, I am playing matches with a good GL Sunday, so I am wanting to test how good F2 3 is at whiff punishing GL's B12
that is kinda all I have been using F2 3 for (whiff punish) with the exception of combo extension.
Against raw b13 you can backdash before the 3 and f23 whiff punish.

B13 < trait = 111/13 punish
B13 < wall = backdash (no punish but at advantage)
B13 < lanterns might (lantern projectile summon) = 111/13/f2 punish
B1d2 (the b1 into OH kick string) = Can fully blow up the string before the OH. Backdash, 111/13, MB b3.

The only thing I've found reliable is f2 < bf3 to check them (but leaves you in range of GL b1) which you can cross (don't NJP because the 3 in b13 will connect for combo). Can also f2 < bf2 (MB +3) or just stay away and outzone him.

Beetle not having great range outside of trait makes b1 hard to deal with but baiting it is key.

Also, if you have Lantern cornered and knocked down, jump/cross < float (db2) < Up/diagonal up < jip2 < string really blows up his wall wakeup. Practice timing it if necessary.

Last edited:

|Phantom|

"Scarab says you suck!"
Against raw b13 you can backdash before the 2 in f23 whiff punish.

B13 < trait = 111/13 punish
B13 < wall = backdash (no punish but at advantage)
B13 < lanterns might (lantern projectile summon) = 111/13/f2 punish
B1d2 (the b1 into OH kick string) = Can fully blow up the string before the OH. Backdash, 111/13, MB b3.

The only thing I've found reliable is f2 < bf3 to check them (but leaves you in range of GL b1) which you can cross (don't NJP because the 3 in b13 will connect for combo). Can also f2 < bf2 (MB +3) or just stay away and outzone him.

Beetle not having great range outside of trait makes b1 hard to deal with but baiting it is key.

Also, if you have Lantern cornered and knocked down, jump/cross < float (db2) < Up/diagonal up < jip2 < string really blows up his wall wakeup. Practice timing it if necessary.
Oh. Nice dude.

Thanks for the tips :D

Oh. Nice dude.

Thanks for the tips :D
Sure thing!

The most consistent way to blow him up is just backdash every time u block b1. It works against most everything he can do and grants damage to him. While they can probably do b1 < lift, that's a risk you wanna force them to make which will slow down their b1 habit.

Espio

Kokomo
Any advice on timing a second hover. Can only get it inconsistently and im not sure when to press the db2 again the first. Does the direction you move efffect the timing?
When floating, don't rush the input. You're waiting for the animation/action to finish before cancelling into another float. I've gotten up to five and for people with weak options to chase you down or clip you, that's gonna be so obnoxious. I hope that's helpful, but the key is clean, not rushed inputs to get them reliably.

When floating, don't rush the input. You're waiting for the animation/action to finish before cancelling into another float. I've gotten up to five and for people with weak options to chase you down or clip you, that's gonna be so obnoxious. I hope that's helpful, but the key is clean, not rushed inputs to get them reliably.
Thanks

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
Damn, this is sweet! Great video man. Some really great combos and tech in here. You should really make this video its own post, its really valuable to BB players or anybody interested in him, and it will probably get overlooked in this thread.

Is the corner 13xxDB2 JI2, 13xxDB2 JI2, etc... an infinite? I'm playing around with it in practice and i can link it 3 times.. If no what makes it stop?

Corner cross up that keeps them in the corner set up. It would probably be better to end this sequence with 111 straight shot for +15 and continued pressure.

Damn, this is sweet! Great video man. Some really great combos and tech in here. You should really make this video its own post, its really valuable to BB players or anybody interested in him, and it will probably get overlooked in this thread.

Is the corner 13xxDB2 JI2, 13xxDB2 JI2, etc... an infinite? I'm playing around with it in practice and i can link it 3 times.. If no what makes it stop?
On block it's not an infinite as the opponent can d2 the float but your option is to 13 < bf2 (MB) to shut that down and force respect.

On hit it's not an infinite either because once you do 13 < db2 < jip2 < 13 < db2 < jip2 < 13 (13 turns into 132 which is an ender with some decent hit advantage)

I may just make the video it's own thread. I appreciate the feedback :)

The Celebrity

Professional Googler
On block it's not an infinite as the opponent can d2 the float but your option is to 13 < bf2 (MB) to shut that down and force respect.

On hit it's not an infinite either because once you do 13 < db2 < jip2 < 13 < db2 < jip2 < 13 (13 turns into 132 which is an ender with some decent hit advantage)

I may just make the video it's own thread. I appreciate the feedback :)
Ahhh ok. I was wondering about it on hit mostly, but yeah the block pressure is crazy too. That explains why I could only loop it 3 times then, its not possible to loop it again... And it was bugging me cause I was swearing i was inputting the right thing lol. That's cool though, thank god that isn't an infinite lol.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
Does anyone here thing that the beetle could do with a tad more damage?
Yes. Personally I'd be happy with an increase of 10-15% across the board? Or at least on his specials anyway.

Considering how much work he has to put in versus certain other characters, who only need to hit you a fraction of the times and do far greater damage, a small damage buff would be welcome.

I say 10-15% because it is significant enough for those who play as him, whilst going mostly unnoticed by his opponents. I don't think anyone would be crying BB needs to be normalized!

I would suspect that in time, once both he and the game itself has been explored more, BB will be getting some buffs.

Last edited:

MadeFromMetal

Heart From Iron, Mind From Steel.
Maybe just a damage increase in blade mode. Makes more sense that blades do more than fists...but his most damaging combos are in fist mode right now.

ConquaY

I play a bug lady, Bruce Lee and a cowboy.
Just wanted to share why having a gap in 111 is extremely dangerous against some characters with 6 frame starters. This might actually make me drop him if people can just down 1 to get out of pressure.