What's new

Question BLOODY HOT! - The Skarlet Gameplay Discussion Thread

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
Cyrax's teleport can be punished on reaction, what I normally do is just use 2, upslash, and combo from there.
Hmm....it could be timing then. But I am afraid all attacks that go HIGH get fucked with his d1. Its really so easy to punish it with Kabals f4 or Tsungs f434. With Skarlet most of my attempts were failure.

RedRaptor10, this is a option, but this is not guaranteed damage that sometimes we need. Between d1 and Dagger toss there is windows where he can poke or even d2 me (not sure about this though yet).

ryublaze

Noob
Hmm....it could be timing then. But I am afraid all attacks that go HIGH get fucked with his d1. Its really so easy to punish it with Kabals f4 or Tsungs f434. With Skarlet most of my attempts were failure.

RedRaptor10, this is a option, but this is not guaranteed damage that sometimes we need. Between d1 and Dagger toss there is windows where he can poke or even d2 me (not sure about this though yet).
I mean for punishing teleport because Cyrax is airborne for a little bit before he reaches the ground so D1 combo can work.

Saltea Moonspell

MoonSpell
Since the damage is so small from a d1 (I believe it's 22% for what I'm quoting here) I typically go for the reset - D1,DF1- xx 2,3,DF1- xx 1,1,2 for 18% and they're reset.
Yeah....i was checking that out just a while and came to this point. With such damage (12%-15%) i wont scare him much. The risk/reward here is not equal.

Now i would also like to give something from my self. I've developed a nice AA that brings good damage.
1 or 2 into db2, 2 into red dash b2, 2 into red dash b2, 2,3 red dash slide = 38%.

Of course we could reduce this damage to 28% into reset. The sacrifice of 10% would be worth for reset into Red Dash b2 into another juggle, otherwise i dont see. And that is if we have Breaker within our reach.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
Yeah....i was checking that out just a while and came to this point. With such damage (12%-15%) i wont scare him much. The risk/reward here is not equal.

Of course we could reduce this damage to 28% into reset. The sacrifice of 10% would be worth for reset into Red Dash b2 into another juggle, otherwise i dont see. And that is if we have Breaker within our reach.
There's no risk to reacting to a d1 against a Robo-Cyrax teleport. Skarlet's D1 is 6 frames and will catch it every time.

Remember, resetting into a Red-Dash'ed Down Slash is highly risky and won't work against anyone with any experience in the matchup. The only way you'll pull that off against someone who knows Skarlet is with a Red Dash'ed EX Down Slash (13 frame execution).

Saltea Moonspell

Remember, resetting into a Red-Dash'ed Down Slash is highly risky and won't work against anyone with any experience in the matchup. The only way you'll pull that off against someone who knows Skarlet is with a Red Dash'ed EX Down Slash (13 frame execution).
I didnt know that. I will try to apply EX Down Slash and analyze the reaction.

Ninj
How would you recommend to go against really good Kitana ?
I tried to war zone with her but the outcome was tragic. I find my self better of in close kombat.

I'm a Kitana main myself, and Skarlet is a huge part of my Mortal Kombat experience. Since I don't know the match-up against Kitana, but I do know Kitana as a character, I'd say armor through the fans with an upslash.

Saltea Moonspell

I'd say armor through the fans with an upslash.
I figured that much my self in first couple matches. But thanks!

EDIT:
I am still struggling with Cyraxs teleport. So far i havent figured out a reliable strong punisher. I've noticed also that sometimes the up slash whiffs with opponent crouching/sweeping etc.
Its like for some reason even though i I am in range opponent wont be lunched.

ryublaze

Noob
I didnt know that. I will try to apply EX Down Slash and analyze the reaction.

Ninj
How would you recommend to go against really good Kitana ?
I tried to war zone with her but the outcome was tragic. I find my self better of in close kombat.
Others might disagree with me but this is how I deal with Kitana: (which is in Skarlet's favor 6-4 IMO)

Stay away and Dagger Toss her. Kitana doing iaF can be knocked down to the ground from daggers. Anytime you knock Kitana down at fullscreen you can throw a Blood Ball. If timed right, Kitana won't be able to do any of her wake-up attacks without getting hit. Once Kitana knows to block Blood Ball, you can start zoning again. (Again, others might disagree with me about Blood Ball here.) You can hit Kitana out of Square Boost with Air Daggers too.

Midscreen you can catch her with EX Red Dash, Up Slash. End combos with F4, 3 if you need to go fullscreen. 1, 1, 2 ender is okay but a blocked Red Slide will put you up close and give Kitana free pressure.

After Red Slide on hit or any knockdown up close don't be afraid to back dash and throw a Dagger Toss. The dagger will hit her if she does any wake-up attack besides Square Boost, and a Dagger Toss (dash cancelled) on hit from that distance will let you move in for a D4/F4, Red Dash, Red Slide or B1, 1, F4 blockstring (the opponent can move for a few frames before you can move in).

Anytime you block Kitana's D1 you can do D4, into Red Dash, Red Slide. If Kitana cancels D1 into cutter it won't hit you because you're in duck state when doing D4.

Btw, there is a separate thread for matchup discussion here :p:
http://testyourmight.com/threads/skarlet-matchup-discussion-thread.6652/

Mothmonsterman0

Mortal Kombat is NOT dead.
so i need some help....
I'm loving skarlet more everyday ( i might pop the question soon Trololo :p )
my main road block with her ( besides landing combos online... ) it's getting a rush down that I'm satisfied with...
so far i have become comfortable with checking my opponent with down 3 ( witch is +3 on hit, and that is AMAZING ) and following up with things like 112, 114, and F2 1 2 1+2

But my problem is i get poked out of everything =/

i have been trying to use F3 but it's slow and i still get poked out ='( what is the best was to deal with an opponent that is poke happy?

Saltea Moonspell

EMMURE789

Even though d3 is +3 it dosent guaranties string pressure, d4 dose though. You get poked out of those strings because they are High not mid block strings. (if am worry, someone correct me) This happens to every char with such string proprieties.

What I do, is block a poke and then apply d4~Red Dash and this opens up pressure options for me. In my opinion Skarlet lacks fast mid string (like Shang Tsungs f3, Kabals f4) that will allow her to apply pressure on crouching opponents with worrying of getting poked out of a string.

Can you guys critique my Skarlet gameplay starting at 11:00?

This was online vs aj1701, and I pretty much dropped all of my combos, but if you guys can help me with my gameplay it would be much appreciated.

ryublaze

Noob
This may or may not be new but this is just something I want to throw out there: (no pun intended)

I'm sure some Skarlet players already know about the Air Dagger (Close) OTG where after a knockdown with a lot of hit advantage, an Air Dagger (Close) will pick them back up and disable the opponent's wake-up attack. Of course, ending a combo with the 1, 1, 2 standing reset is better.

So when should you use the Air Dagger (Close) OTG? IMO it's best used in the corner after a forward throw. If you try doing it midscreen, Skarlet's throw knocks the opponent too far away. This does not work with a backwards throw (she recovers slower). It also has to be done fast, but not as fast as iaD (Far). If the dagger hits, you can dash in and go for a blockstring or throw, which would put them back in the same situation. If it's blocked, you're at neutral. (Well the frame data says you're at around -3 but it looked neutral to me.) You can also jump backwards when throwing the dagger to create more distance on block, but this can be harder to do.

This can actually be blocked every single time if the opponent knows what to do. I used to think that if your opponent inputs a wake-up attack, he won't be able to block the dagger. He can actually hold the block button while inputting a wake-up attack so he'll be able to block the dagger no matter what. But the point of Air Dagger (Close) OTG is to disable the opponent's wake-up attack.

Ninj

This may or may not be new but this is just something I want to throw out there: (no pun intended)

I'm sure some Skarlet players already know about the Air Dagger (Close) OTG where after a knockdown with a lot of hit advantage, an Air Dagger (Close) will pick them back up and disable the opponent's wake-up attack. Of course, ending a combo with the 1, 1, 2 standing reset is better.

So when should you use the Air Dagger (Close) OTG? IMO it's best used in the corner after a forward throw. If you try doing it midscreen, Skarlet's throw knocks the opponent too far away. This does not work with a backwards throw (she recovers slower). It also has to be done fast, but not as fast as iaD (Far). If the dagger hits, you can dash in and go for a blockstring or throw, which would put them back in the same situation. If it's blocked, you're at neutral. (Well the frame data says you're at around -3 but it looked neutral to me.) You can also jump backwards when throwing the dagger to create more distance on block, but this can be harder to do.

This can actually be blocked every single time if the opponent knows what to do. I used to think that if your opponent inputs a wake-up attack, he won't be able to block the dagger. He can actually hold the block button while inputting a wake-up attack so he'll be able to block the dagger no matter what. But the point of Air Dagger (Close) OTG is to disable the opponent's wake-up attack.
You must be careful when doing this against an opponent who's seen this tactic before if you're midscreen - remember, the first 11 frames of a wakeup are invincible - if you screw up, your dagger is going to be ignored and their wakeup will be fully realized typically as a full punish.

ryublaze

Noob
You must be careful when doing this against an opponent who's seen this tactic before if you're midscreen - remember, the first 11 frames of a wakeup are invincible - if you screw up, your dagger is going to be ignored and their wakeup will be fully realized typically as a full punish.
I don't think it's possible midscreen cuz her forward throw knocks the opponent too far for you to throw a down dagger. But in the corner it will always work.

Ninj

I don't think it's possible midscreen cuz her forward throw knocks the opponent too far for you to throw a down dagger. But in the corner it will always work.
It's possible if you emd your combo with an up slash like in the corner. Your opponent can tech roll out of it though, making it potentially difficult to use midscreen...but I wouldn't say impossible ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Warborn

Freebies for all
Having a hard time with Skarlet's AA! Maybe its just online, but every time i try standing 1 or 2 I get shut down. I know the f+4,3 is an option, but wouldn't prefer to rely solely on that. Any advice? Anyone have a video with Skarlet actually using 1 or 2 as an AA? I don't think I've seen it even work. Also, cross ups. d+1? I can't seem to get the Anti-air cross up with d+1 either any tips?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Having a hard time with Skarlet's AA! Maybe its just online, but every time i try standing 1 or 2 I get shut down. I know the f+4,3 is an option, but wouldn't prefer to rely solely on that. Any advice? Anyone have a video with Skarlet actually using 1 or 2 as an AA? I don't think I've seen it even work. Also, cross ups. d+1? I can't seem to get the Anti-air cross up with d+1 either any tips?
You have to buy(bait) the Jumps and measure the distance to avoide being hit, in the 1st half second of this video i was showing how to stop air game by supressing torso kicks with standing 2:

In this MK exists:
Deep Jump Kicks(djk)
Head Kicks (hk)
Torso Kicks (tk)/Jump in Punches (jip)
Crossover A.K.A Crossups (co or cu)

You have to read them and know how to nulify them all

DJK's TK's and JIPs are delayed kicks because it reach the torso or ground levels, if a player is using this, then the counter jab (1 or 2) will work, because jabs (1 0r 2) are faster on reaction than an torso kick and more reachable than jump in punches, but if they get countered often they will use the Head kick.

(Head kicks) HK - Reaches the head level, and a Jab can't reach there, no matter how manny times you Jab in, his kick's hitbox will reach your head before your jab reach his feet. However Head kicks doesn't have Active frames (i suppose i wasn't able to confirm this) and if you duck you will avoid the hit frame and make im vulnerable to counter with a poke (D+1)

If they get cut from jumping at distance they will eventualy try to jump real close if footsie gameplay is not working, its a bit hard to counter crossovers with jabs (1 0r 2) or Poke (D+1), to avoid risking damage, you will need the Neutral Jum punch. The oppoent can't attack before he crosses so its a delay to him, you can iaNJP to stop crossovers.

Some Characters has good jabs or pokes to work as AA, Kitana for example her standing 2 can even stop head kicks because of her range.

I was discussing this with REO a few days ago to see if its possible to go further and get more credible information possible and release a video to stop Air game, not only for Skarlet, the majority of the cast can use this tatic. Those characters who have shitty basic attacks will not work so well.

Peace.

ryublaze

Noob
Me vs FOREVER TIC3R that just happened not long ago. Any advice for me after reviewing it would be nice
Nice Skarlet! I'm not really sure what advice to give you. You seem to know her pretty well. I think those matchups are hard to approach as Skarlet. If you can do iaD, it works great against Scorpion since you can avoid Hellfire and not get EX Speared on reaction. I'm not too familiar with the Raiden matchup. His teleport is hard for Skarlet especially online. Another thing is that I saw you doing regular Down Slash instead of EX Down Slash. Regular Down Slash can be blocked on reaction.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Can someone tell me what is the frame advantage on block for f2, 1 ? Looks better than f4 as a starter, longer recovery for the opponent, it makes same damages in combo (more without combo) and it's 9 frames instead of 13, the execution is also easier.

I really think we should use more f2, 1 as a starter, and also f2, 1, 2, (ex)-dc (a red dash slash combo can be allowed to this, and if the opponent is blocking it's still pretty safe at worse they just poke you). In this way, after using those a few times,when you will be doing the f2, 1, 2, 1+2 the opponent won't expect the overhead.

And can you advise me in what case we gotta use the b2 ?