What's new

General/Other - Blood God Blood for the Blood God! (Variant discussion)

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Does anybody end in 212 at all if you don't have a totem out?
Ending in 212 isn't a bad idea for getting a totem out safely, but there is a better option: End in d2. Serves the same purpose, but does more damage.

And if you want to safely set up a sun ray, end in throw.

ToxicBaraka1210

Stormlord Supreme
Really been wanting to know this lately.
If Kotal has all 3 buffs active (Blood Offering, Crystal Totem, Mace Parry), and his X-Ray is triggered, how much damage will it do?
not sure about with parry buff but you can still get 64%-69% xrays with crystal and offering active.

raw xray is 44%.
f2, f3, xray is 64%
f2, 3, xray is 66%
f2, f2, xray is 69%

god ray does not count as offering hit as itll boost these roughly 3%.

Last edited:

mattnin

Noob
A big key in playing him is laying off the controller to allow it to be neutral momentarily before going into the next move.

Those of you that have played Slasher Jason know exactly what I'm talking about. Now, apply it to anything before any F2.
Yes, I can get f2 four times if I momentarily pause right, f1b2,f2,f2 if I pause correctly, and that madzin special b122,ex sunstone, d1,112 etc.. with the correctly timed pause offline, but online this stuff is killing me! I wish I had an awesome mkx local scene because I would drop online so fast.... These pauses and fancy combos are just way to hard online! /rant

Reactions: GAV

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Yes, I can get f2 four times if I momentarily pause right, f1b2,f2,f2 if I pause correctly, and that madzin special b122,ex sunstone, d1,112 etc.. with the correctly timed pause offline, but online this stuff is killing me! I wish I had an awesome mkx local scene because I would drop online so fast.... These pauses and fancy combos are just way to hard online! /rant
Once I got the bigger combos down, I was so hyped to do them - but I would drop them left and right online. I have finally learned to cut them a little short when I feel a change in the connection. Its better to give up 8-10% (and be in the 30's or 40's) than be left with a 19 percenter that leaves you prone, but with a chance to get up in the 50's.

ValeDJ

Noob
Ending in 212 isn't a bad idea for getting a totem out safely, but there is a better option: End in d2. Serves the same purpose, but does more damage.

And if you want to safely set up a sun ray, end in throw.
Yea that's true, I just never see people use it much (212).

foksdu62

Smoke's still alive !
F1B2 xx Blood Totem - 21 xx Ex Air Grab - Regular Throw = Blood totem runs out and heals you exactly when your Regular Throw animation ends. Dont know if anyone posted this , just want to help :)

f1b2, blood totem, b14, air grab, throw is better ^^

mkl

Poopbutt.
Anybody else use Obsidian almost exclusively? Using crystal only as a situational tool?
They all have their uses but Obsidian is always nice to throw out after safe knockdowns or 114/4 on block. Since Blood God's gameplan is to be as turtly as possible and to weather as many possible guesses while waiting for his turn to strike, Obsidian is essential. Otherwise after f1b2 you can combo into Crystal or Blood depending on what you need. A f1b2~db1 should net you 44%, at least, with meter and a f1b2~db3 with meter should steal 7% life and do some good damage to their super bar.

mattnin

Noob
Since Blood God's gameplan is to be as turtly as possible and to weather as many possible guesses
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. While it's important to be able to read your opponent and block well, I find myself doing much better as a very aggressive Blood God and applying constant pressure. The moment I begin to turtle is the moment I feel the momentum shift in my opponents favor.

DoctorSexual

XBL: DoctorSexual PSN: Osh-Tek
Yeah I agree. A turtle Kotal is a dead Kotal. Waaaay too easy to zone him out. Even if your zoning tools are not even that great.

I turtle in some MUs but his startup is so slow that id rather at least try to hit first. His backdash makes it great for whiff punishing but I cant just block all day because I can't get off the floor easily so I wanna avoid being hit at all costs.

mkl

Poopbutt.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. While it's important to be able to read your opponent and block well, I find myself doing much better as a very aggressive Blood God and applying constant pressure. The moment I begin to turtle is the moment I feel the momentum shift in my opponents favor.
I have no idea how Blood God can apply solid consistent pressure, unless the opponent doesn't know the MU. He just doesn't have the tools for it. Blood God's strength is that he has a half life 10 frame punisher (that moves a very far distance) so he's turtly in the respect that he's not going to be taking the lead in the match and if he does he's probably going to lose. He needs to capitalize on opponent's mistakes. The Obsidian totem assists in this because he'll be able to live longer. Turtling does not mean sit at full screen and do nothing. It simply means do the least amount possible, applying a great footsie game, and causing your opponent to over extend themselves and capitalizing.

Blood God isn't a very good variation, so it probably feels like it's shifting away from your favor because he doesn't have any tools to deal with most of the obnoxious pressure in the game. Just like Q in 3S his ability to essentially increase his lifebar gives him more ability/chances to sniff out opponent's mistakes with his great footsie game. Because at the end of the day he needs two hits with a bar of meter each to win a round. He can't just armor to get out of jail free and that is huge in this game. Another drawback is he can't even break armor with a good read (unless the armor move is terrible). So if you're going to use Blood God to be a pressure/mixup character that's a battle that Blood God simply isn't going to win against 99% of the cast.

Last edited:

mattnin

Noob
You're right, if the opponent knows the MU well, it's not very good for BG. Blood God can apply good pressure though. Is it solid? I guess that depends on your footsie skill and maximizing that. I feel more often then not that I'm pressuring good with BG and even when I'm not winning, I give my opponent a good scare. Yes, I lose MUs all the time to someone I will whoop with my other characters. In terms of my own skill, regardless of BG's weaknesses, I still feel I can apply decent pressure. I bet you feel the same way about your own BG pressure. Most people who play Blood God think alike.

It still doesn't deter me and other Blood Gods like yourself. Admit it, you like BG because you despise tier whores and you like kicking their ass with BG. Pretty much everyone here agrees.

If I had to rate my own BG skills on a scale of 1-10,

Blocking 8
Combos 6 (during actual battle)
Combos 9 (during practice dummy)
Air throw 6
Parry 2
Footsie 8

I'm trying to level up parry and air throw but it ain't easy!

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
Alright, let's talk post-patch.
Despite the Blood Totem giving the 10% back for Offering, I still feel it's pretty underwhelming since it goes away on being hit.

Has anyone found success with strictly using the Obsidian Totem and no other?

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
pretty much what that guy said. Blood totem isn't all that great, i use it as a gimmic near the end of the first round to gain meter and setup for the brutality. Another idea is to use it while zoning to pressure the enemy to try and run in, so you can punish. Really the life and meter gain aren't really worth much. Obsidian is the most useful, crystal is to put the nail in the coffin, blood is just for the brutality requirement. Especially since instead of doing blood totem into blood sac and then trying to close out the totem without getting hit, you can just do obsidian into sun ray and will get all your health back and then some no problem.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I've seen Madzin using blood one in combo and then using offering just before totem expired. I suppose it's very situational and not a reliable setup, but it's one way to use it.

Semi-unbreakable combos with it are highly situational and not that useful, but that's a use too - otherwise obsidian is what you want most of the time, in some matchups it's very useful.