What's new

General/Other - Blood God Blood for the Blood God! (Variant discussion)

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
I've watched ten minutes of you playing against that Jax, and I'm remembering why I quit using Blood God; you have no way to open him up. He could out zone you effortlessly, and all you really had to threaten him with in his face was pokes.
Yeah against good players its almost impossible to win. Its sad because bloodgod is really fun to play with but im just switching back to wargod and hope they give bloodgod some upgrades in next patch.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Yeah against good players its almost impossible to win. Its sad because bloodgod is really fun to play with but im just switching back to wargod and hope they give bloodgod some upgrades in next patch.
Blood God is SO fun. Still my single favorite variation in this game. I just wish either his F2 or F1B2 was safe OR that his Sun Ray/God Ray had less recovery frames. One of those two simply changes would make him SO much better.

I personally wouldn't say its impossible, but it definitely takes more effort to get wins. I like the concept of blood god though. But I will refrain from calling the variation, because it could be that I'm overlooking many things that can make playing blood god more efficient.

Blood God to me only benefits players who are good at pressure and keeping you in the corner. If your set ups are strong, you can set up the buffs.

My problem with Blood God is that against certain characters they simply won't let you get it off. You need to some how push them in the corner. and get a combo that you can combo the buff into. Doing it from afar safe is pointless because by the time you reach them to Totem might be gone and you waste potential damage. I also think the Obsidian Totem is worthless. The defense is negligible and has no other benefits.

I think Obsidian needs to be an armor buff similar to Jason. It would allow him to get closer. You can't have the other buffs out at the same time so it wouldn't be OP. Obsidian to approach, and either Damage and Blood Totem on your next mix up.

imblackjames

Ive seen the leprechaun
Ive been maining blood god fora couple weeks now and i think that its a solid variation. Hes better than a lot of people give him credit for. It is hard to open people up but with meter i use ex sun disc for pressure after strings and with no meter (and sometimes with meter) ill use a block string into obsidian totem so my damage is reduced When i eventually get punished. But the most important thing in his game is THROWING lol people are gonna expect u to keep up pressure So (especially with throws being 50/50) throws are crucial.

I love this vvariation and im definitely sticking with it

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Blood God to me only benefits players who are good at pressure and keeping you in the corner. If your set ups are strong, you can set up the buffs.

My problem with Blood God is that against certain characters they simply won't let you get it off. You need to some how push them in the corner. and get a combo that you can combo the buff into. Doing it from afar safe is pointless because by the time you reach them to Totem might be gone and you waste potential damage. I also think the Obsidian Totem is worthless. The defense is negligible and has no other benefits.

I think Obsidian needs to be an armor buff similar to Jason. It would allow him to get closer. You can't have the other buffs out at the same time so it wouldn't be OP. Obsidian to approach, and either Damage and Blood Totem on your next mix up.
I disagree with a lot of this.

Blood God's issue isn't getting totems out . . . It's consistently opening people up (whether or not a totem is on the screen). Blood God has plenty of safe ways to activate totems outside of inserting them into combos. Any blocked 4 or 114 and just about any hard knockdown will do the trick. Also, you mention that doing totems from afar is useless because, by the time you get in, the totem might be gone and your chance to inflict big damage might be gone. However, quite obviously, this logic only applies to the crystal totem. The obsidian totem is a great choice for full-screen activation, especially against zoners.

In general, the obsidian totem is grossly underrated and underutilized.

regulas

Your Emporer
I concur generally with @KeyserSoze in practice it's pretty easy to get totems out, especially since d3~totem is safe on hit, and several others are safe on block.

The issue is that whole lack of opening power. The worst part is that he has good strings for footsies they just aren't safe so he can't use them well outside of war god. If either b122 or f1b2 were safe at least it would change everything.

Or if his other specials were more practical, like Sun Ray could be a way to pressure people into making mistakes but right now it's limited when you can use it.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
The issue is that whole lack of opening power. The worst part is that he has good strings for footsies they just aren't safe so he can't use them well outside of war god. If either b122 or f1b2 were safe at least it would change everything.

Or if his other specials were more practical, like Sun Ray
could be a way to pressure people into making mistakes but right now it's limited when you can use it.
Interestingly, these are the exact two things I would want to touch on Blood God. As I have pointed out before:

For Blood God, I'd make F1B2 safe and decrease recovery frames on Sun Ray/God Ray

For Sun God, I'd give a 2 or 3% damage boost to all three levels of Sun Choke and decrease recovery frames on Sun Ray/God Ray.

I think all three Kotal variations would be viable as hell at that point. The hardest part of this would be choosing the correct recovery frame number for Sun Ray/God Ray.

My opinion is that blood god is in a state were no one can really judge how good or bad it is, only speculate. Until blood totem is fixed then blood god can only use 2/3 of its special moves. Or in most cases 1/3 since most players over look obsidian totem for some reason or another.

With a fixed blood totem, blood god can:

* Harass enemy meter
* Prevent armored attacks
* Gain meter quicker
* Heal for up to 20% health

Imo, those are good benefits. The biggest problem with the variation at this time is that blood totem is broke and that it vanishes when you take damage. Aside from that, blood god is virtually identical to sun god aside from not having sun choke and soul scourge.

regulas

Your Emporer
My opinion is that blood god is in a state were no one can really judge how good or bad it is, only speculate. Until blood totem is fixed then blood god can only use 2/3 of its special moves. Or in most cases 1/3 since most players over look obsidian totem for some reason or another.

With a fixed blood totem, blood god can:

* Harass enemy meter
* Prevent armored attacks
* Gain meter quicker
* Heal for up to 20% health

Imo, those are good benefits. The biggest problem with the variation at this time is that blood totem is broke and that it vanishes when you take damage. Aside from that, blood god is virtually identical to sun god aside from not having sun choke and soul scourge.
This is failing to understand that blood gods fundamental issue is landing anything to begin with. Even if blood totem did something ridiculous like twice the dmg in heals it still wouldn't be relevant because it depends on landing a combo you won't. What any of his specials do isn't overly important because it's too limited as to when he can use them.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
This is failing to understand that blood gods fundamental issue is landing anything to begin with. Even if blood totem did something ridiculous like twice the dmg in heals it still wouldn't be relevant because it depends on landing a combo you won't. What any of his specials do isn't overly important because it's too limited as to when he can use them.
Excactly. The problem still is gonna be the same.

Yes the variation has a weakness like all other characters and variations have. I don't see the problem with that. Blood god can be very very strong, but has no way to open up opponents. To me this shows that part of the blood god's playstyle is being patient and making every attack count. The interesting thing about blood god is that when you are buffed, you don't have to land that many attacks to do a lot of damage.

If blood god could land attacks easily then it would probably be the most overpowered variation in the game.

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
What are your opinions on Blood Totem?

There are two points about it.

- So, unlike Crystal Totem that increases damage by ~30%, Blood Totem only converts 20% of damage into your health. IIRC it also breaks if you get hit early. Is it just me or this effect is too situational because it provides lesser health swing while not being a guarantee on hit (apparently)?

- There's, however, another effect that should be taken into consideration. It depletes opponent's meter on hit, although as far as I can tell, it drains about as much meter as it builds when you inflict damage on opponent. Probably not that bad.

So, do you feel the combination of effects is okay when compared to the rest of them?

Also, does somebody know damage reduction percentage on Obsidian Totem?

What are your opinions on Blood Totem?

There are two points about it.

- So, unlike Crystal Totem that increases damage by ~30%, Blood Totem only converts 20% of damage into your health. IIRC it also breaks if you get hit early. Is it just me or this effect is too situational because it provides lesser health swing while not being a guarantee on hit (apparently)?

- There's, however, another effect that should be taken into consideration. It depletes opponent's meter on hit, although as far as I can tell, it drains about as much meter as it builds when you inflict damage on opponent. Probably not that bad.

So, do you feel the combination of effects is okay when compared to the rest of them?

Also, does somebody know damage reduction percentage on Obsidian Totem?

Blood totem don't work. Obsidian totem -34% damage I believe.

What do you mean? Healing is there, and I don't seem to build meter when hitting an opponent. What's the problem with it?
Only d1 and d3 build deplete enemy meter but very slowly. Special attacks and any other normal initially take meter but then stop working all together.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Only d1 and d3 build deplete enemy meter but very slowly. Special attacks and any other normal initially take meter but then stop working all together.
That's what I noticed. But opponent don't build meter from taking damage either, if that's what you mean. So in fact, it does work, it's just not as powerful as vampiric arrows and Chi's purple circle. d1 and d3 are noticeable because they deal little damage and so drain outweights meter build resulting in noticeable drain.

That's what I noticed. But opponent don't build meter from taking damage either, if that's what you mean. So in fact, it does work, it's just not as powerful as vampiric arrows and Chi's purple circle. d1 and d3 are noticeable because they deal little damage and so drain outweights meter build resulting in noticeable drain.
Its broke. Every attack you connect is suppose to consistently drain meter like d1 and d3. That does not happen. So it does not work properly. D1 and D3 are noticeable, why? Because they are the only attacks working as intended.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Its broke. Every attack you connect is suppose to consistently drain meter like d1 and d3. That does not happen. So it does not work properly. D1 and D3 are noticeable, why? Because they are the only attacks working as intended.
What I'm saying is that I don't see opponent's meter changing at all except maybe a little bit in the beginning of combos. This may mean that totem drains meter and amount of that drain roughly equals to opponent's meter gain for taking damage. d1 and d3 don't build much meter for opponent on hit because of negligible damage, so drain for those actually exceeds meter gain and we can see it.

That's what I think at least. Need to test more.

What I'm saying is that I don't see opponent's meter changing at all except maybe a little bit in the beginning of combos. This may mean that totem drains meter and amount of that drain roughly equals to opponent's meter gain for taking damage. d1 and d3 don't build much meter for opponent on hit because of negligible damage, so drain for those actually exceeds meter gain and we can see it.

That's what I think at least. Need to test more.
Opponent still gains meter with blood totem out while you use non d1, d3 (I believe standing 1,3 works too.) attacks. So I don't see what you are trying to say.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Opponent still gains meter with blood totem out while you use non d1, d3 (I believe standing 1,3 works too.) attacks. So I don't see what you are trying to say.
Hm. Never noticed that. Must be training mode glitch then.

For clarification, no I did not have meter set on full or refill.

Hm. Never noticed that. Must be training mode glitch then.

For clarification, no I did not have meter set on full or refill.
Just set the meter to "normal" and you'll see. Also, the only other thing blood totem does from my testing (which is probably a bug). It doesn't allow the opponent to gain a full meter for x-ray. As long as blood totem is up, they can never gain that last notch. It has to be a bug because the other two levels of meter doesn't work that way.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Just set the meter to "normal" and you'll see. Also, the only other thing blood totem does from my testing (which is probably a bug). It doesn't allow the opponent to gain a full meter for x-ray. As long as blood totem is up, they can never gain that last notch. It has to be a bug because the other two levels of meter doesn't work that way.
See clarification, as I've said, it was set to normal. Not sure what's going on anymore :/

Also it does heal. As advertised, it only happens when totem disappears. Maybe only if it runs out of time. Which is weird, considering that it's both delayed and weaker at changing relative HP than Crystal totem. Without meter part of the effect Blood totem is straight up inferior.

See clarification, as I've said, it was set to normal. Not sure what's going on anymore :/

Also it does heal. As advertised, it only happens when totem disappears. Maybe only if it runs out of time. Which is weird, considering that it's both delayed and weaker at changing relative HP than Crystal totem. Without meter part of the effect Blood totem is straight up inferior.
I never said the heal didn't work, it does. But due to the way blood totem works, you will rarely see it...if ever. Blood totem is just poorly designed and bugged.