What's new

General/Other - Blood God Blood for the Blood God! (Variant discussion)

regulas

Your Emporer
Since we really should have had some of these sooner I'm putting one up now for Blood God (since theres also one for sun). So this thread should be specifically for discussing and coalating the Blood God Varient, in order to separate it from other variants content.

Reliant entirely on the fundamental abilities Blood God variant is all about increasing your damage or decreasing the damage you take in exchange for loosing out on ways to attack.

Eventually I will turn this into a proper guide. Short hand for now.

If anyone does make a real guide I'll just replace this with there's

These moves are all both safe and most can be used to safely summon totems or to combo

212 Good solid string 0 on block with good pushback. If you knock them down you have time to safely put out totem or throw disc.

114 This one is also 0 on block, has little range but you can cancel this into either totems on block or EX air throw for combo's. Note that despite claiming only 23 cancel I am unable to punish a totem on block with a 5 frame jab (6 frames)

B32 By itself B3 is a good solid footsies string that is cancel-able, with 2 it becomes a long range charge, safe on block, knockdown on hit with enough time for a totem. (B3 cannot be safely cancelled into totem)

4 High can make it risky but it can be safely cancelled into a totem on block unlike the similar 3 (same as 114).

d1- A 5 frame poke, useful for pokes but also if it hits can safely cancel for a totem (as before fastest normals cannot punish)

d3 - a low poke again also can hit into a totem probably better for that since it's less likely to be blocked.

D2 - Uppercut, 6 frames good damage makes it one of our fast punish choices, also a good anti air. Can be a simple fast follow up for Parry even for funny damage.

Remaining normals will mostly be used for punish tools as they either are unsafe or loose too much advantage to be for general use too much.

Special Usage
Parry - The best move we have, it can turn many moves into counters or even full combo's. While there's a lot to study here the main thing is to practice comboing off of it.

Sunstone - Best used as a meaty attack, while it has a slow start-up it has great frame data on hit/block and solid damage for a projectile. EX is way faster at 24 frames, even better advantage and 16% damage.

God Ray - Sporadic in use can be placed out best at the end of a combo. It's currently hard to use well though the EX % value would be good if it were faster

Blood Offering - Awesome damage, but the self damage and slow speed make it tricky to use. As with God Ray it can only safley be used at the end of a combo, and then it can be tricky to land the damage. Best use is to chip out low HP opponents. Can also be used for Parry set-ups for true damage but on the whole this is a high risk abilitiy.

Air Takedown - Not really that good as an anti air (especially given our uppercut) but our main combo extender/finisher (if you want damage over effects)

Totems - Can easily be cancelled into with any of the above normals and tricks or placed at the end of a combo. They are even fast enough to possibly sneak one out randomly.
Damage is usually the best giving 33% bonus damage.
Obsidian is useful for specific situations (like versus a spam zoner like Kano) reduces damage by 34%
Blood Totem is nearly impossible to use because it just lasts too long. It is useful for draining meter but appears to be BUGGED currently so not even good for that.

Tactics
I've run out of time so just putting down something quick...

In short form a lot of Blood tactics are going to be about sneaking out totems and then applying pressure with 0 on block strings, pokes, trips, throws etc.

1) Relentlessly putting totems on the screen after EVERY hard knockdown and after every blocked 114 or 4. This is key.

As noted 114, 4, and on hit d3 are some of the best choices for sneaking out totems because they are fairly safe choices.

For regular moves throw makes one of our best tools by far as it buys a lot of time for throwing out any of our slow specials.

Last edited:

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Besides fundamentals, Blood God is all about two things:

1) Relentlessly putting totems on the screen after EVERY hard knockdown and after every blocked 114 or 4.

2) Using Mace Parry effectively. Parry is a potentially game-changing move. With the crystal totem already activated, stuffing something with parry can lead to a life-bar erasing punish. I've always been bad at using parries well in fighting games, but I am trying very hard to level-up with Mace Parry, because it's absolutely critical to Blood God's game.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Btw, this is a minor thing, but I believe the obsidian totem reduces damage by 34%, not 33% (At least, that was the number that I consistently calculated last week when I was attempting to precisely quantify his totem buffs)

regulas

Your Emporer
Honestly biggest issue I have with Blood is just how much harder it is to use well online because I can't ever seem to get a match without at least some delay. Not having regular specials I seem to feel it way way more then say War God.

I updated the OP with a note about keeping totems up and the 34%.

Khaoz77

Don't run, you're gonna trip...
I stated in the general discussion post that Blood God in my opinion is a variation with extreme weaknesses but a huge strength in that our potential damage more can be tripled if set up correctly. Usually, the risks are not worth it and Blood God is usually ignored in favor for a more viable variation. Has anyone found a way for using the obsidian totem in a more efficient way? The damage reduction is nice and all, but usually our opponents aren't fazed by it and just seem to ignore it. It's almost not worth it especially since we have to play very carefully.

Honestly biggest issue I have with Blood is just how much harder it is to use well online because I can't ever seem to get a match without at least some delay. Not having regular specials I seem to feel it way way more then say War God.

I updated the OP with a note about keeping totems up and the 34%.
I have the same problem.

Someone I played against said delay shouldn't matter. That you should always be able to pull of stuff. I explained to him that many things I can do in training mode but I can''t pull off online because of delay. He again said its not true, that it shouldn't matter.

Does delay really make combos and moves more difficult? Or is it just me? Often times my totems don't even come out, but offline? No problem!

Also, ps4 and xbox one players should check if blood totem works on those versions. On the pc, it does not! It only drains meter on two moves d1, d3. Everything else drains meter on the initial hit, but stops working.

regulas

Your Emporer
I have the same problem.

Someone I played against said delay shouldn't matter. That you should always be able to pull of stuff. I explained to him that many things I can do in training mode but I can''t pull off online because of delay. He again said its not true, that it shouldn't matter.

Does delay really make combos and moves more difficult? Or is it just me? Often times my totems don't even come out, but offline? No problem!
It varies a lot match to match (every now and then I do get a good 3 green bar match where we are pretty even on delay) but delay usually translates to a 2-5 frame difference, which due to the need to then react and input can be as much as a 4-10 frame delay in reactions. It shouldn't hurt inputs that much (maybe making you miss cancel window in some cases?), but it will throw off overall timings or make your 6 frame move lose to an 8 frame one, or your reaction block doesn't count in time. Even matches I win it often feels like my opponent is suffering from this rather then me.

It's so notable for blood because our tactics are much more reliant on very precise frame data.

Usually, the risks are not worth it and Blood God is usually ignored in favor for a more viable variation. Has anyone found a way for using the obsidian totem in a more efficient way?
As noted the only cases where I can think of obsidian being that good is against zoners where you know you are going to be blocking or taking a whole ton of projectile spam. Since your probably going to take 10-20% dmg during the totem if you play correctly it may have some value there.

Gosh imagine if it gave armour though.. that would be amazing...

It varies a lot match to match (every now and then I do get a good 3 green bar match where we are pretty even on delay) but delay usually translates to a 2-5 frame difference, which due to the need to then react and input can be as much as a 4-10 frame delay in reactions. It shouldn't hurt inputs that much (maybe making you miss cancel window in some cases?), but it will throw off overall timings or make your 6 frame move lose to an 8 frame one, or your reaction block doesn't count in time. Even matches I win it often feels like my opponent is suffering from this rather then me.

It's so notable for blood because our tactics are much more reliant on very precise frame data.
Yeah that's what I meant, the cancel window! I can cancel combos into special moves 100% of the time in training mode, but its hit or miss in a live match.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Also, ps4 and xbox one players should check if blood totem works on those versions. On the pc, it does not! It only drains meter on two moves d1, d3. Everything else drains meter on the initial hit, but stops working.
I tested it on PS4 and it definitely doesn't work right, although it seems to work on more hits than just d1 and d3. The only hits it didn't drain meter correctly for were 2 and 4. Also, it did give me health back, as it was supposed to. It's definitely screwed up, though.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I stated in the general discussion post that Blood God in my opinion is a variation with extreme weaknesses but a huge strength in that our potential damage more can be tripled if set up correctly. Usually, the risks are not worth it and Blood God is usually ignored in favor for a more viable variation. Has anyone found a way for using the obsidian totem in a more efficient way? The damage reduction is nice and all, but usually our opponents aren't fazed by it and just seem to ignore it. It's almost not worth it especially since we have to play very carefully.
The Obsidian totem is best against zoners, and more generally, characters who have a mediocre damage output to begin with. If you play an entire match against a low damage character using nothing but Obsidian totem, it will become very apparent how much more they have to hit you to take your life-bar. It really is rather significant.

I tested it on PS4 and it definitely doesn't work right, although it seems to work on more hits than just d1 and d3. The only hits it didn't drain meter correctly for were 2 and 4. Also, it did give me health back, as it was supposed to. It's definitely screwed up, though.
Good to know that its just not pc. The bug is crippling.

regulas

Your Emporer
Major tech if it can work with it will be OS Pokes

If you time it right then d3~db1~dd should in theory cause you to summon a totem on hit but not on block. Probably a really tight timing but this would make for an exceedingly easy and safe way to get totems out any time.

Sunstone is very powerful with blood god. Especially against players who like to sit back and spam projectiles. Blood sacrifice and crystal totem + ex sunstone is almost 32% damage. This is more damage than most players can do in one combo.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Heres some gameplay from my bloodgod. Still alot of work with him and the online makes it so hard and i had alot of wrong inputs.But anyway im getting better each time with him so thats fine.

Edit:Btw one thing i noticed wich i totally ignored is that on my wu i should parry then block more to avoid getting mixed up with OH/low attacks. I only just tought about that tough.

http://www.twitch.tv/stb_hellbringer/c/6632544

Last edited:
Aside from blood totem being bugged, I feel its weak. Mainly because if you get hit, it vanishes. The other two totems aren't like this. It doesn't really make sense imo. The health gain and meter gain is determined by how much damage you inflict. In other words you can't just summon it and turtle to gain meter and health. Unless it vanishing upon being hit is a bug as well.

regulas

Your Emporer
messing around, anyone got any other tips for this situation?
While it is situational I think one of Aquas tricks for dealing with Grandmaster was to put an EX God Ray on yourself in the corner, since it's 20% healing if your stuck there anyway.

While it is situational I think one of Aquas tricks for dealing with Grandmaster was to put an EX God Ray on yourself in the corner, since it's 20% healing if your stuck there anyway.
lol that crossed my mind actually but i dismissed it without trying it, thats kind of hilarious if only blood totem lasted through hits you could get even more health.

regulas

Your Emporer
Something else of now, if they ever fix blood totem so that it actually drains the main way to get it to last is to use throw (such as after a knoc-up in some combo's), that just tends to be lengthy enough to let it time out. It can still be limited as to when you want to though.

Disappointingly the healing totem (unlike the dmg one) does not affect our X-Ray. Given how easy ours is to land and Blood's limited use for meter at times there are situations where finishing with X-ray could be something to directly aim for, especially since we can buff it's damage (37% with dmg totem, up to 44% with Offering).

I've watched ten minutes of you playing against that Jax, and I'm remembering why I quit using Blood God; you have no way to open him up. He could out zone you effortlessly, and all you really had to threaten him with in his face was pokes.
Heres some gameplay from my bloodgod. Still alot of work with him and the online makes it so hard and i had alot of wrong inputs.But anyway im getting better each time with him so thats fine.

Edit:Btw one thing i noticed wich i totally ignored is that on my wu i should parry then block more to avoid getting mixed up with OH/low attacks. I only just tought about that tough.

http://www.twitch.tv/stb_hellbringer/c/6632544