What's new

General/Other - Blood God Blood for the Blood God! (Variant discussion)

Belial

Noob
"This setup can be tech rolled and woken out off. The problem is not the tech roll, it's the reversal/wakeup after.

You can do the exact same setup with 212 which should work just fine though"
This setup got better with recent buffs actually as i wrote somewhere already, you can get some good results via blood totem in that combo. Something like 40%(34+6) damage per 1/2 bar while negating opponent any meter. As rare as Blood God hits this is unlikely to supersede crystal totem combo but may have uses still

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
This setup got better with recent buffs actually as i wrote somewhere already, you can get some good results via blood totem in that combo. Something like 40%(34+6) damage per 1/2 bar while negating opponent any meter.
I quoted you what I said about the safejump. B32 is not a safejump.

ando1184

Noob
If parry (at least EX one) could prevent opponent from cancelling parried move so that his offence would stop right there, it would be a good substitute for armor. But for now it isn't. You need to make multi-layered read and spend more than one bar to make it work most of the time.
IMHO he needs that, even if at the price of having that parry damage buff reduced.
Honestly, they can take off the damage duff altogether if it worked like that. It just needs to be a viable move/option for him. Right now, jokers parry from igau looked more useful.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
@Qwark28, in what scenarios is B3, 2 not a safe jump? I've done a fair bit of testing with fast move characters and it seems fine. Are you referring to the fact that they move out of range if they roll? Your jump-in won't be punished, but the spacing you're left at isn't ideal.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
@Qwark28, in what scenarios is B3, 2 not a safe jump? I've done a fair bit of testing with fast move characters and it seems fine. Are you referring to the fact that they move out of range if they roll? Your jump-in won't be punished, but the spacing you're left at isn't ideal.
Some wakeups punish button pressing after the jump, it can be tech rolled etc, it's just a mess.

mattnin

Noob
Obsidian totem in general is my favorite, often it slows the round down enough that blood god can actually accomplish something, however sometimes even with obsidian out, the round still flies by, such as when facing a good Kung Lao or Raiden, etc... So this is when I like to fight fire with fire and pop the crystal totem out. If they want to play a fast round, show them a fast round and get them with a nice high damage combo with crystal totem.

It's risky, but blood god doesn't have much else sometimes and so you just have to get in there and hit hard when they are in your face and try to get the highest damage possible.

My favorite method to get the totem out is on a 114db2, it's pretty much safe. Also, if you're at range, it's usually safe to pop a totem at any time as long as you're not facing a teleporter or drop kicker.

Dealing with zoners while playing BG Kotal is a learned experience. Yea, it can suck, but with BG Kotal, you WILL learn to get in the face of a zoner using nothing but pure skill because you have to. BG Kotal doesn't have abilities like other players to get around the map easily, he does it by scratching and clawing his way back in and that is the play style you are learning. It's a great play style to learn by the way, it's frustrating and difficult, but you're going to be much better because of it.

It takes a lot of work and a lot of matches but even someone who doesn't have great skill with combos can beat someone with excellent combo skills by using nothing more than supreme footsie skills that they learned by playing Blood God.

RYX

BIG PUSHER
war
sun
blood

So I'm digging blood god alot for whatever reason. Is the f1b2xx crystal totem d1 xx ex air grab f2 f1b2 air grab worth doing or waste of meter?
f1b2~db1, b14~EXdf1, f2, throw is your best bnb off of it

42% and you run out the totem in time to pull up another one. you can do uppercut for the highest damage but I prefer having the time to always have a totem up

Levaranoia

War God
1) War God
2) Sun God/Blood God (The better choice is almost entirely dictated by the match-up, IMO)
Well i use war god and sun god. My buddy said that blood god was good so I was just confirming that was b.s from other actual kotal mains.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
Well i use war god and sun god. My buddy said that blood god was good so I was just confirming that was b.s from other actual kotal mains.
If you put a gun to my head and told me that I had to pick between Sun God and Blood God, I'd probably go with Blood God, but again, I think it's extremely close. I thoroughly enjoy playing both variations.

Belial

Noob
After playing more and more with BG I come to think that totems dont play enough role in his game really. If that were to change, maybe he would be a more interesting character?
For example SG has some defining tech - throw mixups, tickthrows, ability to regain life (though sucks now its still interesting in general), meterburning throws that make jump only escape for your opponetn in some situations , lots of unbreakerable damage.
War God has options to cancel everything into mixup as well as having that crazy overhead special that just rocks

BG has option to enchance his normal game but considering how bad all other Kotal Specials are (SG and WG dont even use all these trash) he just doesnt profit from all that synergy that could be achieved via cuts, sunrays and parries. So maybe (just maybe) what BG really needs to work is improvements to other specials of character. Right now he really feels like variationless character

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Eddy Wang vs. A Kotal Khan (BG)

Can someone pick a part these matches?(e.g did the KK player use totem correctly,etc)

Last edited:

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
BG has option to enchance his normal game but considering how bad all other Kotal Specials are (SG and WG dont even use all these trash) he just doesnt profit from all that synergy that could be achieved via cuts, sunrays and parries. So maybe (just maybe) what BG really needs to work is improvements to other specials of character. Right now he really feels like variationless character
That, or he needs somewhat better normals, right now he only has some decent advancing ones IMHO. The idea of a variation that basically do what vanilla moveset does, but just somewhat better, is not alien to MKX after all.

mattnin

Noob
I don't think BG needs better normals at all. He is fast and powerful and while he doesn't have 50/50 mix ups like say D'Vorah or Erron, he still can mix it up by using a good footsie game.

If there is anything I wish was better for poor Blood God, it would be parry. I'm finding just VERY limited use for it, specially some overheads, one hitters or run ins.

Maybe I just need to level up on parry... I do wish we had some good tech on it.

I'm sure this has probably been posted before, but I haven't seen it so if someone wants to tag the original finder feel free.

But for bnb's, kotal can hit 46% midscreen with:
F1b2, db1, b14, EX AA grab, f2, b14, AA grab.

I know what RYX is saying about always having a totem up, ending combos with a throw, but I've never seen someone try and wakeup after eating nearly 50% damage with the totem still up. Also, we can punish timid players further as kotal still has enough time left on the totem to jump in and land JIP, f34, EX sun disk for another 32%, or to just take a second and setup his neutral game again.

mattnin

Noob
You're right. Some matches, I fail to get a totem out at all because I'm either trying to apply pressure and I just cannot spare the time to pop a totem, or I'm getting pressured and if I pop a totem, I risk some type of punish. Often, I'm trading a hit or poke or worse for popping a totem. When that happens, might as well have played Sun God when I can't even get a totem out.

Geth

Bows don't kill people, the arrows do.
Really been wanting to know this lately.
If Kotal has all 3 buffs active (Blood Offering, Crystal Totem, Mace Parry), and his X-Ray is triggered, how much damage will it do?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Really been wanting to know this lately.
If Kotal has all 3 buffs active (Blood Offering, Crystal Totem, Mace Parry), and his X-Ray is triggered, how much damage will it do?
Blood offering only buffs 3 hits, parry only for 2 seconds and crystal totem disappears as soon as you xray.

So around 38%.

Geth

Bows don't kill people, the arrows do.
Blood offering only buffs 3 hits, parry only for 2 seconds and crystal totem disappears as soon as you xray.

So around 38%.
Alright, cool. Does Parry last the whole X-Ray (ala Bane Venom)?
And I thought Blood Offering lasted 3 physical hits. Would the God Ray X-Ray start count as one?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Alright, cool. Does Parry last the whole X-Ray (ala Bane Venom)?
And I thought Blood Offering lasted 3 physical hits. Would the God Ray X-Ray start count as one?
Parry lasts for 2 seconds.

Blood offering does last 3 hits, the first hit is 11% or so and the latter 2 too low damage overall. It might do 42% actually IIRC.