What's new

General/Other - Blood God Blood for the Blood God! (Variant discussion)

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
Not frame data but I know that totems can be successfully summoned using 114 or standing 4 on block, tested with Reptile's slippery slide.

mattnin

Noob
Anyone else feel that Blood God might actually be Kotal's best variation? The command grab in Sun God is nice, but it's still fairly easy to get out of and not better than obsidian totem usefulness. The armor in War God is awesome, but does it really beat out Blood God's obsidian totem?

It seems like Blood God can live forever and give him a little chance, and it's game over with a one bar 44% bnb or clutch crystal totem and parry comebacks and awesome b1 corner game. Never count Blood God out even if he has a small sliver of energy left, he can turn it around fast. I play all Kotals variations and I don't feel any are better than Blood God.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Well @mattnin lets look at the options that Blood God & War God have, shall we?
( I exculded Sun God because sadly I have no knowledge of that variation)

War God has Breaker (2 bar of meter), Armor Swords ( 1 hit of armor? and 1 bar of meter) & his pokes

Blood God has Breaker, Damage Reduction totem ( Reduce damage and chips by 50% and builds meter normally) & his pokes

Now at face value WG options looks pretty awesome right? But if you look closer at BG options its more rewarding and beneficial for the big guy.

"If I get DR Totem out before LK gets his Flame Fist pressure going it'll be cut in half and I get a ton of meter for blocking it and maybe enough to use breaker."

mattnin

Noob
Exactly. If I have obsidian up, I'm not too upset that I don't have armor because I'm not taking much damage and building meter. Plus there are armor options in the level interactions anyway. Also, I hear many Blood Gods here saying to stay out of the corner. I feel like the corner is a great place for Blood because he can pop a sunlight w/ obsidian and regenerate power even when taking chip from projectiles if not parry. I feel blood God is dangerous in the corner. There are times I head to the corner just so I can heal up and bait. And blood God does have an armored move, the parry that sometimes works in the clutch wake up. I swear if I'm almost down and getting pressure I will not be blocking but I might just get that parry out, interrupt whatever string you're running and plow a d2 up yer behind. My turn.

I play a damn good War God but lately I just won't choose him over any matchup anymore, not even grand master or tempest because I feel Blood is better.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Anyone else feel that Blood God might actually be Kotal's best variation? The command grab in Sun God is nice, but it's still fairly easy to get out of and not better than obsidian totem usefulness. The armor in War God is awesome, but does it really beat out Blood God's obsidian totem?

It seems like Blood God can live forever and give him a little chance, and it's game over with a one bar 44% bnb or clutch crystal totem and parry comebacks and awesome b1 corner game. Never count Blood God out even if he has a small sliver of energy left, he can turn it around fast. I play all Kotals variations and I don't feel any are better than Blood God.
Easy to get out? i dont agree with that, unless u just do the same tick throw everytime. I think they all just have their advantages and disadvantages, i cant really say if any variation really sticks out to be the best out of them. Bloodgod is the most fun tho :p

mattnin

Noob
I think his command grab is great but his L3 grab throws them so far it reduces follow up options basically giving them their turn. This is basically how they get out plus all the stupid whiffing. I'd prefer the universal b1 meta-cheese game I'm using with the standard throw with Blood God. BG may not have a over/low mixup but I'll be damned if he can't pseudo mixup the b1 and d1 and njk deadly footsie game.

mattnin

Noob
Another problem with the command throw is it takes sooooo long. It gives the opponent more time to think. BG is fast. Even with his standard throw it doesn't give the opponent too much time.

Santa_Destroyer

Blood n' cigs' PSN: Santa_Destroyer
Aloha.

Do you have any tips for a shinnok MU?
Generally i switch to my co-main erron black, cuz' I feel like shinnok, especially necromancer, outplays kotal in every way.
When I fight a shinnok with kotal I try to mace parry the hellsparks and get close But that is basically my enitire plan.
Any suggestions?

Edit: Blood God main.

btw if you wanna add me, type Santa_Destroyer, and maybe write that you're from TYM.
I'm from Germany on Ps4.

Cheerio

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think his command grab is great but his L3 grab throws them so far it reduces follow up options basically giving them their turn. This is basically how they get out plus all the stupid whiffing. I'd prefer the universal b1 meta-cheese game I'm using with the standard throw with Blood God. BG may not have a over/low mixup but I'll be damned if he can't pseudo mixup the b1 and d1 and njk deadly footsie game.
You can run up and B12, F2 or F1 and you will catch any backdash. You're still pressuring after a L3 throw.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
You can run up and B12, F2 or F1 and you will catch any backdash. You're still pressuring after a L3 throw.
I think its the fact they're out of the corner that makes it the main problem with L3 Throw. Also can they use a armored reversal as you run up or do you have time to block?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I think its the fact they're out of the corner that makes it the main problem with L3 Throw. Also can they use a armored reversal as you run up or do you have time to block?
That's not a problem of the throw, that's the problem of the player who doesn't want to sacrifce 2-3% damage to keep them cornered.

And yes, since you're running at them they can of course wake up.

mattnin

Noob
That's not a problem of the throw, that's the problem of the player who doesn't want to sacrifce 2-3% damage to keep them cornered.
But that's kinda my point. Is that 2-3% worth giving up obsidian totem? Because with a 2-3% dmg decrease, you're right in Blood God bnb damage territory.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
But that's kinda my point. Is that 2-3% worth giving up obsidian totem? Because with a 2-3% dmg decrease, you're right in Blood God bnb damage territory.
A command throw is completely different than totems. You can't compare just the damage. There are rounds where I can land 5-6 command throws and the next round I get the chance to bait an ex move into 47%.

And it's much safer to fish for openings with sun rather than blood god.

mattnin

Noob
Aloha.

Do you have any tips for a shinnok MU?
Generally i switch to my co-main erron black, cuz' I feel like shinnok, especially necromancer, outplays kotal in every way.
When I fight a shinnok with kotal I try to mace parry the hellsparks and get close But that is basically my enitire plan.
Any suggestions?

Edit: Blood God main.

btw if you wanna add me, type Santa_Destroyer, and maybe write that you're from TYM.
I'm from Germany on Ps4.

Cheerio
I do have a tip for Necromancer. He will try hard to zone Blood God and then at mid screen he will hell spark, rinse wash repeat. My best advice here is to learn the timing. Shinnok can only fist-fiend so fast, in between those moves you can time it and run up and block, run and block and close the gap. If you're having a hard time learning this timing in match play, I suggest to head to the lab and set Shinnok to fist-fiend and learn that timing so you don't get caught.

SHAOLIN

内部冲突
Command Throw adds on to conditioning your opponent to either block or take the hit, while totems just buffs your character in a certain way giving you an advantage in areas that your opponent might not have...

mattnin

Noob
A command throw is completely different than totems. You can't compare just the damage. There are rounds where I can land 5-6 command throws and the next round I get the chance to bait an ex move into 47%.

And it's much safer to fish for openings with sun rather than blood god.
There is no doubt the command throw makes for great bait. Blood God can just keeping coming too for a long time with obsidian up and that's pretty safe