What's new

Block Button Vs B2B. Why does it bother you?

Rabbit

thugs bunny
The moaning is embarrassing.
lol. It comes from both sides though.

Sites like Eventhubs there's people who obviously didn't play MK9 much or at all saying how trash the block button is.
Even though some posters try to explain teleport characters, slower 3Dish frame data, etc etc, they gets responded with posts that say b2b wouldn't be a big deal in a MK game :rolleyes:

back to block enables more reactionary play in the neutral for me, but it would ruin mk style block pressure depended on how it is implemented

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
I always try to imagine people in real life jumping in to someone with a punch to start a combo, juggling each other, punching each other's shins and blocking bullets among other things.
If I ever fight someone irl, I'm gonna do small toe kicks over and over, and then jump over them and try to angle my punch to where it hits them when I'm already over their head. I'm gonna punch their shins too, to start offense and if they hit me during that, I'm gonna call them a scrub and say they mashed out of plus frames and then RQ the fight.

Are people seriously complaining about in a back to block game you keep walking back? One of the most primary concepts of footsies is learning to walk forward. If you basing this off of injustice, injustice's walkspeed it slow as hell so it makes it more way more difficult than it should be. In most 2d fighting games, it's essential. Daigo is master at it, just look at his matches. :D

Backfire

Noob
I kinda like both. But you do get a lot of bullshit with b2b. I swear the only reason I lose to batman is because I don't block ambiguous crossups. But that may be my fault for not being good enough

Rude

You will serve me in The Netherrealm
I like both Back to Block and Block Button

What I don't understand is how people who want good walk speeds in NRS games can bash back to block. Back to block directly works WITH good walk speeds. With a good walk speed you can bait and control space by walking in, taking a step back, walking in again.

As far as cross-ups in FGs go, I don't see them as scrubby at all. For one thing, if someone is jumping at you in a B2B game, you STILL have the option to anti-air them. That doesn't change simply because you can't hit a button to block. Also, if you're knocked down and someone is jumping at you, you could still do a roll or a wake-up attack depending on the game to defend yourself. Of course, some games have more complicated defense systems and gauges that fill up if you block too long, but the core concepts remain the same.

To me, back to block forces the opponent to commit to a read, where as with a block button it always felt to me as your options were covered.

Of course, with a block button you still had to fuzzy high/low mix-ups, just as you would with back to block.

Maybe I'm just a filthy casual, but I never felt like they were THAT different from each other or that hard to adapt to, outside of Back to Block working better with walking movement and forcing you to make reads more.

But that's just my opinion.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
No you're wrong. You are more committed with block button because you can't do anything else while you are holding down the block. In SF when you are walking back or even holding down+back you can still mash jabs or crouch tech or reversal. In MK you have to let go of block then do something else other than blocking. There is no defensive option-select.
I really hate how people refer to MK9 as "MK", lol. Anyway, this isn't the case with the classic MK games, MK1, MK2, MK3, UMK3, MKT, MK4, etc all have the ability to kara and block jab. Which, for those that don't know, allows you to essentially attack while blocking, but you can't advance and it's only with the jabs.

Anyslut, I don't think there's necessary a problem with either method of blocking. Despite which one you'd prefer, people wanting a block button for MK isn't entirely because of perference over B2B, but rather the fact that an MK game with B2B is not an MK game at all. The same would be said of a new SF game that had a block button, it just doesn't make sense.

I like both Back to Block and Block Button

What I don't understand is how people who want good walk speeds in NRS games can bash back to block. Back to block directly works WITH good walk speeds. With a good walk speed you can bait and control space by walking in, taking a step back, walking in again.

As far as cross-ups in FGs go, I don't see them as scrubby at all. For one thing, if someone is jumping at you in a B2B game, you STILL have the option to anti-air them. That doesn't change simply because you can't hit a button to block. Also, if you're knocked down and someone is jumping at you, you could still do a roll or a wake-up attack depending on the game to defend yourself. Of course, some games have more complicated defense systems and gauges that fill up if you block too long, but the core concepts remain the same.

To me, back to block forces the opponent to commit to a read, where as with a block button it always felt to me as your options were covered.

Of course, with a block button you still had to fuzzy high/low mix-ups, just as you would with back to block.

Maybe I'm just a filthy casual, but I never felt like they were THAT different from each other or that hard to adapt to, outside of Back to Block working better with walking movement and forcing you to make reads more.

But that's just my opinion.
You have converted me with your eloquence and even temperament. When i use the word "rude" in the future, it shall be as a mark of esteem!

I really hate how people refer to MK9 as "MK", lol. Anyway, this isn't the case with the classic MK games, MK1, MK2, MK3, UMK3, MKT, MK4, etc all have the ability to kara and block jab. Which, for those that don't know, allows you to essentially attack while blocking, but you can't advance and it's only with the jabs.

Anyslut, I don't think there's necessary a problem with either method of blocking. Despite which one you'd prefer, people wanting a block button for MK isn't entirely because of perference over B2B, but rather the fact that an MK game with B2B is not an MK game at all. The same would be said of a new SF game that had a block button, it just doesn't make sense.
You're right I was only talking about MK9. I know about the karajab sillyness in UMK3, MKT etc.

Last edited:

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
i read all these comments that have a bunch of likes when supporting block button i cringe a little inside. MK9 and MKX will be very different, you guys don't realize how many overhead low mix ups i picked up from the gameplay i saw, you think that i won't mix you up in MKX? to everyone that said they feel scrubbed out when they are forced to guess in a 50/50 situation i can't wait to see all of your faces once MKX rolls around, as of right now you can combo off of all d'3 into specials. paulo hinted that it may change later on but thats huge. i feel that the block pressure in this game won't be like MK9, stagger strings, pokes, jab jab jab f3 like MK9 worked because you were afraid to get hit and chip damage was big in MK9. but now we have back dashes, a stamina bar, interactables, a lot of you are in for rude awakening come MKX.

RM AtK!

aka - RM_AtK !
I agree with people who say it's in part what makes it different than Street Fighter gameplay wise. If it was back to block, then MK would just be a silly version of SF.

Block button combined with normals inflicting chip is pretty interesting in that when people block they commit to a block state so it's easier to pick them up with a throw. I just wish the throw system was better designed. I don't like how throws give zero frame advantage, barely any position advantage and sometimes they even put you in negative frames.. They just suck. Not to mention the fact that being 50/50s discouraged you from even attempting to tech and encouraged D1/D3 mashing for defense. But since there was no normals trading or counter hits in MK9, you couldn't really have an interesting tech trap / counter hit hunting game.

Block button is good. MB button is good. Throw button is good. Interactable button is good. Stance Switch button is evil incarnate.
what are you talking about.. i dont think you were very good at mk if your logic is mashing d1d3 for defense.. there was a lot more depth then that.. if you couldn't get out of a situation then you need to read more frame data my friend lmao

ShadowBeatz

Dropper of Bass and Bombs
Something else I hate about back-to-block is that it's viewed as the "gold standard" because it's in Street Fighter which is "omg the best and most skeelful game evur."

Guarantee that if SF got big with a block button 75% of people saying B2B is better now would be saying that a block button is superior.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
The ignorance is strong with this one. No, cross-ups are not a wonky product of a flawed system. The back to block system is not flawed for it has worked wonderfully for pretty much every fighter except for MK. Crossups are real tech and most games are designed with that in mind. For example, not many characters can combo off of their overheads in Sf4. (hell, many characters don't have any) Instead it makes up for it with crossups.

Honestly, there were hardly any "facts" at all in your comment and you didn't even elaborate on the "handful of other problems." Want to talk facts? How about we talk about the "handful of problems" that the block button caused in MK9.
Cross ups are real tech? = scrub!!!