What's new

Block Button Vs B2B. Why does it bother you?

Maasik

Noob
They both have strengths and weaknesses. B2B is better for games which are heavily footsie and mix-up based (high/low, forward/backward, and throws). Block button works better for a game like MK because many characters have moves that put you behind the opponent, reversing wake ups is an important factor because not a lot of moves have good auto-correct allowing you to bait and punish them, and block pressure is a bigger deal because of chip damage/meter gain. Neither is better nor worse, they're just better for their respective game style.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
The difference is that I'm blocking because I'm committed to the action of block by pressing the block button, instead of blocking automatically because I was walking back when something came at me. Just like when I want to punch, I push a punch button that is assigned for punch, I like guard being a dedicated move as well, instead of sharing with another movement. I don't see why that's hard to understand.
Moot point. If a game is designed around back to block, people will move back for defensive purposes. They're fully committed to their block the moment they start moving backward EXACTLY the same way that people commit to their block in a game that uses a block button. But hey, you like pressing a button for it. I understand.

it's easier to nudge in with a block button. In KI Glacius has a 10 frame full frame jab and I want to walk forward. With a block button I wouldn't have to worry about stepping backward into his unblockable from the ground attacks. A block button simply allows you to hold your ground without turtling.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
The block button can make for some really wonky movement (dash blocking) and you don't get crossups. Crossups are fun. MK relies on more high/low mixups which is the same exact argument as not liking crossups. I think that both are nice and as long as the strings in NRS games aren't too silly (like Green Arrow's F2D13), then it's all good fun. Since MKX doesn't really have dash block canceling then it might be a little less goofy looking.
Mortal Kombat (9) does not rely on high/low mixups.

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
The stance switch button allows me to dance on my opponents after a victory. XD

And I'm pretty sure everyone's throw in MK puts them at a frame advantage.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Block button = staple of 3D games for the last howevermany years
Crossups/B2B = staple of 2D games, since forever

There's nothing wrong with either. I'm not sure why people are calling one of them broken/flawed etc. I personally enjoy the crossup metagame, but it's not so much of a big deal that I won't play one or the other.

At the end of the day, is the game fun? Does everybody else have the same advantages and disadvantages that you do with the blocking system? If yes, then just enjoy yourself and play the game for what it is, whichever system it uses.

DangerousBacon

it's easier to nudge in with a block button. In KI Glacius has a 10 frame full frame jab and I want to walk forward. With a block button I wouldn't have to worry about stepping backward into his unblockable from the ground attacks. A block button simply allows you to hold your ground without turtling.
Not necessarily true. Holding down back in back to block game allows you to maintain your positioning without walking back.

Moot point. If a game is designed around back to block, people will move back for defensive purposes. They're fully committed to their block the moment they start moving backward EXACTLY the same way that people commit to their block in a game that uses a block button. But hey, you like pressing a button for it. I understand.
No you're wrong. You are more committed with block button because you can't do anything else while you are holding down the block. In SF when you are walking back or even holding down+back you can still mash jabs or crouch tech or reversal. In MK9 you have to let go of block then do something else other than blocking. There is no defensive option-select.

For example late crouch tech in SF is: blocking+teching+attacking all at the same time. You can't do this if you are holding a block button. Not to mention blocking having an animation and recovery frames makes it a bigger deal.

Last edited:

DangerousBacon

No you're wrong. You are more committed with block button because you can't do anything else while you are holding down the block. In SF when you are walking back or even holding down+back you can still mash jabs or crouch tech or reversal. In MK you have to let go of block then do something else other than blocking. There is no option-select so to speak.

For example late crouch tech in SF is: blocking+teching+attacking all at the same time. You can't do this if you are holding a block button.
Yeah I guess "exactly" wasn't the best word choice.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
The stance switch button allows me to dance on my opponents after a victory. XD

And I'm pretty sure everyone's throw in MK puts them at a frame advantage.
I did that every fucking time in MK9 online lol funny as shit.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Block button = staple of 3D games for the last howevermany years
Crossups/B2B = staple of 2D games, since forever

There's nothing wrong with either. I'm not sure why people are calling one of them broken/flawed etc. I personally enjoy the crossup metagame, but it's not so much of a big deal that I won't play one or the other.

At the end of the day, is the game fun? Does everybody else have the same advantages and disadvantages that you do with the blocking system? If yes, then just enjoy yourself and play the game for what it is, whichever system it uses.
Well said...

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
I too can't find a good setup for MK on a stick.
It just feels really weird. I play SC and VF on stick, and they feel great.
It's just MK's weird button layout that gets me for what ever reason.

If I could do it like
1B2
3B4

Or

B12
B34

I might be able to do it, but NRS won't let me set duplicate actions to multiple buttons.

D7MHellcat

Frozen Earth
Crossups are fun.
See, you used that as a sentence without saying "In my opinion". There is nothing inherently "fun" about crossups. Making people guess ambiguous crossups is more lazy offense than anything.

I too can't find a good setup for MK on a stick.
It just feels really weird. I play SC and VF on stick, and they feel great.
It's just MK's weird button layout that gets me for what ever reason.
I personally enjoy the original arcade layout done on a 6 button Street Fighter layout like most sticks have.

1=Jab
2=Fierce
3=Short
4=Roundhouse
Block=Strong

See, you used that as a sentence without saying "In my opinion". There is nothing inherently "fun" about crossups. Making people guess ambiguous crossups is more lazy offense than anything.
See, you used that as a sentence without saying "In my opinion". There is nothing inherently "lazy" about ambiguous cross-ups, in my opinion.

Opening people up with nothing but chip damage is technically lazier because you don't even want to bother learning how to condition and read your opponent, in my opinion.

Also opening people up with safe and unreactable overhead/lows isn't that much different than ambiguous cross-ups. Actually it's arguably worse, because the ambiguous cross-ups only happen once you get knocked down. They are your reward for winning your last footsie battle. If you don't want to deal with ambiguous cross-ups you can simply try to not get knocked down in the first place. Or like Daigo/Xian, learn the setups and practice how to block or escape their variations. But if you don't want to deal with +frame unreactable overhead/low vortexes, you pretty much have to play another game.

Last edited:

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Making people guess ambiguous crossups is more lazy offense than anything.
I notice that a lot of people keep mentioning ambiguous crossups. I think people who don't play/enjoy these games don't realize that truly ambiguous crossups aren't happening nonstop. The player is almost always in control.

For example, with Sakura, I have a midscreen crossunder setup where I can always decide which side I land on, and the difference in timing is just delaying a part of the combo by a scant few frames. I also have a corner crossup mixup that depends on me hitting a button with a minute difference in timing to decide which side I hit on. While it's basically impossible for the defender to see, and they must make a read, I always know what I'm doing.

In my mind, a TRUE ambiguous crossup is one where even the attacking player has no idea what will happen. Those really dont happen all that often.

I personally prefer B2B because of the dynamic footsies options it allows, but obviously it would never work in a game as wild as MK! In MK, a block button feels delightfully natural as far as how it relates to the gameplay. I would love a 0 frame recovery when I release block though, even if there is a release animation (it should just be able to be canceled).

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
I'd be ok with b2b if I could choose to stand still while blocking high. But that's separate design choice to have me vulnerable on retreat, so... Other than that, it takes less time for me to adapt to b2b after bb than other way round for some reason.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I agree with everyone who said that b2b restricts movement makes you lose space, it restricts advancing actually. Imagine if Doomsday was able to dash-block O_O.
Cross-ups though, as much as they are annoying, it's a strategy still. But it certainly doesn't add that much to the skill of any player, especially the one using it lol. You could say the same thing about vortexes/safe mix-ups.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
I'd be ok with b2b if I could choose to stand still while blocking high. But that's separate design choice to have me vulnerable on retreat, so... Other than that, it takes less time for me to adapt to b2b after bb than other way round for some reason.
Because b2b makes you think another way. When you b2b you automatically think about backing away from the aggressor, while bb gives you the feeling you're deffending your ground, standing up to him. It's a much deeper level of correlation between these two I think.