What's new

Block Button Vs B2B. Why does it bother you?

BRUTALITY

Banned
We already have plenty of discussion about this. But I'll state my simple case:

1) I like being able to go from low block to high block but simply releasing down.
2) I don't like walking backwards, losing space, just because I'm attempting to block and he doesn't attack.
3. I think crossups are dumb, always have. If I'm blocking, I should block your attack. I shouldn't get hit because I can't see that the tip of your butt hit the back of my scalp.
this is some of the scrubbiest shit i ever read

ColdBoreMK23

Noob Saibot
I like B2B on a stick and block button on pad.

I played Inuustice on stick but MK9 on pad. Just felt better to have no block button on stick.

BUT, MK has always felt better for me on pad, especially with the FF movments in combos.

I don't know why I just ranted about sticks vs pad for Mk

But Block button is better IMO for MK.

Decay

King of the Bill
I like B2B on a stick and block button on pad.

I played Inuustice on stick but MK9 on pad. Just felt better to have no block button on stick.

BUT, MK has always felt better for me on pad, especially with the FF movments in combos.

I don't know why I just ranted about sticks vs pad for Mk

But Block button is better IMO for MK.
I agree, I can't find a good setup on my stick for a block button. I'm sure I'll get used to it but if not, I'll just go back to a pad and be a filthy casual

ThaShiveGeek

Est In Harvey 1989
Block button feels better for me personally. The games I really took the time to learn and get into always had block buttons. MK's & DBZ Budakai series. I've tried to get into SF, but between the B2B and tight links for combos I just haven't been able to master it how I can with DBZ & MK. IGAU is the ONLY game I take series that doesn't have a Block button, but I wont lie. It is hard. To each his own though. There is no right and wrong. Just opinions.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
Block button feels better for me personally. The games I really took the time to learn and get into always had block buttons. MK's & DBZ Budakai series. I've tried to get into SF, but between the B2B and tight links for combos I just haven't been able to master it how I can with DBZ & MK. IGAU is the ONLY game I take series that doesn't have a Block button, but I wont lie. It is hard. To each his own though. There is no right and wrong. Just opinions.
Nuff said man.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
this is some of the scrubbiest shit i ever read
I think crossups that can't be seen and determined as crossups even by the attacker are scrubby. And I don't like auto-blocking because I happen to hit back. I SHOULD be hit if I'm trying to walk back from someone and they attack. That's not scrubby, it's in my disadvantage for that and it's what I want.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
I just hope in MKX they get rid of frames of recovery for releasing block, that's my only issue. The pressure is so nuts in MK9 and then having to deal with weird blocking button issues just put me firmly in the filthy casual category, never really got used to it. I like the concept though, just wish it felt more intuitive to me.

DangerousBacon

Mechanical Engineering Bitch!
Probably NOT solved. OVERHEAD.
And? See the animation then switch to standing block. Most b2bs have proxy guard so you won't move out of place when you're in range of an attack. Honestly the same thing could happen to you with a game that uses a block button so I don't see your point.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
I just hope in MKX they get rid of frames of recovery for releasing block, that's my only issue. The pressure is so nuts in MK9 and then having to deal with weird blocking button issues just put me firmly in the filthy casual category, never really got used to it. I like the concept though, just wish it felt more intuitive to me.
Kabal in a nutshell.

DangerousBacon

I think crossups that can't be seen and determined as crossups even by the attacker are scrubby. And I don't like auto-blocking because I happen to hit back. I SHOULD be hit if I'm trying to walk back from someone and they attack. That's not scrubby, it's in my disadvantage for that and it's what I want.
While I agree that the ambiguity in crossups should be toned down, the rest of your comment is utterly laughable on so many levels.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Kabal in a nutshell.
For me it is still "get Caged" every local I play. WHY DOES EVERYONE AND THEIR GRANDMOTHER'S ROOMMATES COUSINS EX-GIRLFRIEND PLAY CAGE?!?!?

To be fair, we don't really have a local Kabal main, I can still imagine the horror after watching old tournaments.

I came from a GGXX scene before getting into NRS stuff in late 2011. The fact that you can block is still a big blessing to me. Anji and Eddie are rarely fun to play against, they even took my dustloops away.

BRUTALITY

Banned

your problems with the proximity blocking are not due to preference but to lack of experience. controlling the blocking of a b2b character is an elementary fighting game quality. the "i hate sitting in spot/walking back when defending" argument is moot because its simply not something
that even beginner players need to consider. as far as cross ups yes they are ambiguous but whats the difference between an ambiguous cross up and a 50/50? both are staples of fighting games and IGAU has plenty of each.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
And? See the animation then switch to standing block. Most b2bs have proxy guard so you won't move out of place when you're in range of an attack. Honestly the same thing could happen to you with a game that uses a block button so I don't see your point.
The point is that using block would mean that I wouldn't accidentally move backwards when guarding for an overhead. It's just a mechanic that I don't like. And I don't like that walking back intentionally automatically guards against all attacks except lows.

@BRUTALITY Right, it's in IAGU and it's something I don't like about it. And I don't see 50/50 overhead/lows the same as crossups. At least with low/overhead that attack always is gonna know what he's throwing out. Crossups give people glitchy scenarios where they can't see which way they're facing on wakeup as someone comes down in an ambigious angle in an attack that's designed to look fucked up. Guarding against low/overhead you can at least look at their spacing to see which of those options is possible (standing outside Catwoman's B1 range for example), or try to react to the starting animation of the move. A crossup just hits you in many situations, and its random on that frame as to where it's gonna hit you.

If some people like playing that way (or both ways), fine. I don't judge them for it. Not my taste though.

DangerousBacon

The point is that using block would mean that I wouldn't accidentally move backwards when guarding for an overhead. It's just a mechanic that I don't like. And I don't like that walking back intentionally automatically guards against all attacks except lows.
You're not going to move backwards when trying to block an overhead in back to block games. Proxy guard stops that. Also, a block button while standing automatically guards against all attack except for lows too so what's the difference?

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
You're not going to move backwards when trying to block an overhead in back to block games. Proxy guard stops that. Also, a block button while standing automatically guards against all attack except for lows too so what's the difference?
The difference is that I'm blocking because I'm committed to the action of block by pressing the block button, instead of blocking automatically because I was walking back when something came at me. Just like when I want to punch, I push a punch button that is assigned for punch, I like guard being a dedicated move as well, instead of sharing with another movement. I don't see why that's hard to understand.

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I like the block button, but would change a little bit the way it works. You should be able to buffer directional inputs while holding block, and "cancelling" the block into any action/attack input. Besides that, I think it's a good mechanic that was implemented wonderfully in MK9 because while it makes it easier to not get opened up, both the high chip damage and the amount of metter building against a blocking opponent give the attaking player a good advantage. You really don't want to be pressing the block button that much in MK.

I agree with people who say it's in part what makes it different than Street Fighter gameplay wise. If it was back to block, then MK would just be a silly version of SF.

Block button combined with normals inflicting chip is pretty interesting in that when people block they commit to a block state so it's easier to pick them up with a throw. I just wish the throw system was better designed. I don't like how throws give zero frame advantage, barely any position advantage and sometimes they even put you in negative frames.. They just suck. Not to mention the fact that being 50/50s discouraged you from even attempting to tech and encouraged D1/D3 mashing for defense. But since there was no normals trading or counter hits in MK9, you couldn't really have an interesting tech trap / counter hit hunting game.

Block button is good. MB button is good. Throw button is good. Interactable button is good. Stance Switch button is evil incarnate.

Last edited: