What's new

Match-up Discussion Black Adam Matchup Discussion

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
You have to play like the lamest motherfucker alive in the Aquaman MU I swear it's too real. I do fine with it, but it doesn't make it any less annoying how much he limits you. You even have to use Aquaman specific combos.
If youre rushing him down and he hits his trait, then cancel straight into Orbs ~ throw, if he doesnt tech then you waste enough time for the trait to be on cooldown again, and if he does tech you lost nothing and didnt get punished for trying to combo him.

Obviously thats a bullshit mindset to have but its Aquaman....

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Once again, very detailed input! Good job guize!

Now, I 'has' a question, the best way to deal with KF slide is just block and chip her? Or is there a more 'demotivating' option to apply to the KF's player?

I know that MBb3's too slow to punish that : \
Stay at a range you can see it coming and jump back divekick on reaction, or just backdash and whiff punish. Shes got to come to you because you can out-zone her, but staying on the far end of the slide keeps you safe as you can be without messing about at full screen.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM

Now, I 'has' a question, the best way to deal with KF slide is just block and chip her? Or is there a more 'demotivating' option to apply to the KF's player?

KF is going to do one of three things after a slide. She will either parry, mbf3 or just block (probably one of the former two). It's really pretty much a guessing game, because all the options you have against it can be countered by one of the three she has unfortunately. So it's really a read based type situation. Honestly your best options though would probably be just to backdash out, or jump back either or really. The more space you have on KF the more of an advantage you have in the MU.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
Stay at a range you can see it coming and jump back divekick on reaction, or just backdash and whiff punish. Shes got to come to you because you can out-zone her, but staying on the far end of the slide keeps you safe as you can be without messing about at full screen.
SO DIVEKICK IS POSSIBLE! I tried it the other day and got stuffed for some reason, it's prolly me. I know what I'm doing in the lab today.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
SO DIVEKICK IS POSSIBLE! I tried it the other day and got stuffed for some reason, it's prolly me. I know what I'm doing in the lab today.
Its range dependant and you cant do it early, you have to see it coming jump back THEN divekick. Theres no way you can accidentally divekick her out of her slide, its a bitch!

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
If youre rushing him down and he hits his trait, then cancel straight into Orbs ~ throw, if he doesnt tech then you waste enough time for the trait to be on cooldown again, and if he does tech you lost nothing and didnt get punished for trying to combo him.

Obviously thats a bullshit mindset to have but its Aquaman....
I have actually been noticing that if you actually get the chance to move in and pressure that Aquaman's back walk isn't good enough to escape follow ups after bb23 and b1. So pressure against Aquaman isn't such a bad option.

It's not too slow you just have to release it early. But that's a guess that costs 1 meter which is why I don't really recommend it unless you're stuck in her vortex.

Every time you're at sweep range and you think she's going to wake up slide you can back jump 2 into a full combo for free. Every time you're at jump range you can neutral jump 2 into a combo.

From mid-range and further you can react to her slide with 3 (which will low crush it) or MB b3.

Block and chip in neutral is a good way to win the match. Eventually KF will start throwing some parrys or MB f3 after you block slide. And that's when you put the nail in the coffin. Whiff punish then lame her out.

Smarrgasm

What's a Smarrgasm?
One of the main things i like to do after block slide is d1 orbs into throw. It ends up being around 20% or more damage. Once they realize youre gonna do this they may start teching but that opens up more options for you.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
One of the main things i like to do after block slide is d1 orbs into throw. It ends up being around 20% or more damage. Once they realize youre gonna do this they may start teching but that opens up more options for you.
She can parry d1 though since d1 is a mid., and that is one of her favorite things to do after slide.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
The best way to deal with doomsdays trait is ex lightning and black magic on hit.

boot stomp is suicide.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
The best way to deal with doomsdays trait is ex lightning and black magic on hit.

boot stomp is suicide.
I'm not sure I completely understand how DD's trait works tbh, I know he just absorbs hits that would normally cause a knockdown or pushback, but is it for a certain amount of time or does he a absorb a certain number of hits?

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
I'm not sure I completely understand how DD's trait works tbh, I know he just absorbs hits that would normally cause a knockdown or pushback, but is it for a certain amount of time or does he a absorb a certain number of hits?
6 seconds of reduced hitstun and cant be launched.

A good doomsday will always be ready to punish you.

explain.
Ok, well I know this is not going to happen very often vs a good Doomsday. But anytime Doomsday is in the air and you boot stomp him it slows him down considerably. Like it will stop his jump arc short, push him back a bit and make him fall straight down but slowly. Those are precious seconds.

I found this out accidentally. Boot Stomp and Black Magic is all I use while Doomsday's trait is active. Black Magic when he's on the ground. Boot Stomp if he jumps.

JaredL

Aww shit <REDACTED DUE TO FEELINGS> its Shapzam
How do you stop a deathstroke who relies 100% on two things, jumping back after every shot, but not air shotting, making your lightnings miss. And when you close in, doing that obnoxious J3 cross up?

Its so braindead but I can't figure it out.

lol, so after being so convinced hawkgirl is one of the worst in the game and a complete fish, i get beat by one.
Dude her Wing Evade 3 is super annoying. It's basically a wake up teleport cancelled into a lunge dive kick that is safe on block and has priority over almost anything. She can use it defensively on wake up or as a reversal but also offensively in between strings. I don't recall seeing any similar move in another fighting game.

I did a lot of labwork to find ways to counter her Mace Charge but some players don't even use it that much. Wing Evade 3 is that one true move she has imo. Thankfully a d2 can blow it up during its startup but it's unsafe on block unless cancelled into trait.

Her d1 is also annoying because it has huge range and is weapon based aka rarely trades or loses. Plus she builds meter super fast with her safe specials.

Hawkgirl matchup is fucked up. She's an odd character and it just gets weirder and weirder the more knowledgeable your opponent is. Definitely not my favorite MU lol.

Qwark28

Joker waiting room
Dude her Wing Evade 3 is super annoying. It's basically a wake up teleport cancelled into a lunge dive kick that is safe on block and has priority over almost anything. She can use it defensively on wake up or as a reversal but also offensively in between strings. I don't recall seeing any similar move in another fighting game.

I did a lot of labwork to find ways to counter her Mace Charge but some players don't even use it that much. Wing Evade 3 is that one true move she has imo. Thankfully a d2 can blow it up during its startup but it's unsafe on block unless cancelled into trait.

Her d1 is also annoying because it has huge range and is weapon based aka rarely trades or loses. Plus she builds meter super fast with her safe specials.

Hawkgirl matchup is fucked up. She's an odd character and it just gets weirder and weirder the more knowledgeable your opponent is. Definitely not my favorite MU lol.
And to all other BA players. These are some vids of me playing Boodendorf s Hawkgirl.

Some notes : Practice your execution, you need all the damage you can get, when I come back from offline sessions I'm too lazy to re-practice the 55% on my laggy TV and I payed the price in 3 games with the combo and many more times when I wanted to do EX cage or continue a combo.

Don't try to lame her out when your HP is similar.

Don't assume she will fall out of flight on her own, ever, I tried to super twice thinking it was about to happen because of movement "limit" like Superman ( One laser and automaticly falls down)

Vid 1 - What's a Hawkgirl?
Vid 2 - Basic understanding of the MU
Vid 3 - Overall feel of the MU
Vid 4 - Last game

Like I said in my status, she's too damn safe, you're fishing for scraps and mistakes. Black Adam relies on people making mistakes, when someone like Hawkgirl has such an unorthodox way of fighting and shuts down most of Black Adam's options with air control and very safe pressure, you have to bait whiffs and not unsafe moves ( Don't think she has any besides the air D3 divekick ).

Here are the vids.

Boodendorf

Bird woman!
Black Adam relies on people making mistakes, when someone like Hawkgirl has such an unorthodox way of fighting and shuts down most of Black Adam's options with air control and very safe pressure, you have to bait whiffs and not unsafe moves ( Don't think she has any besides the air D3 divekick ).
d2 and d3 are punishable by 6 frames reversals, air mb mace toss can also be punishable if not done at the correct height.
f1, f11, f13, 123, d1, b22, b22b3, b23 and instant air d3 (divekick) are negative on block but not punishable outside of supes' super.

Every other move she has is either 0 or + on block lol.