What's new

Match-up Discussion Becoming the Pope - The General Zod Matchup Thread

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
Thanks man

I think ZOD will be better in the patch because Paulo has confirmed the following or hinted at some things

-trait glitches removed (the most massive problem)
-f213 will not whiff anymore on half cast
-better in general by natural process of the top tiers getting "normalized"
-hinted at being able to parry trait is a glitch (really stupid lol)

I feel his worst MUs will be
Harley 4-6
Aqua 4-6
MMH is questionable but probably 5-5

I feel he excels in MUs where few do such as

Black Adam 5-5
Flash 5-5
Superman 5-5 possibly 6-4 after patch
Wonder Woman 6-4
Batman 5-5
Frost 6-4 (definitely 6-4 post patch)
Doomsday 6-4
Green lantern 6-4
Scorpion 6-4
Batgirl 5-5

I think these #s point to ZOD being top 5, possibly 4-5 range with the other tops being MMH, aqua man, black Adam and batman possibly
5$ says that unless they patch his difficulty to be non-restrictive, nobody but us and wherever Pig/Chef go will believe Zod is top 5.

He really is top 5. Hey, we should make a thread for that!

EDIT: By the way, why no Superman top 5? Or is this post patch listings?

Colonel-Gilgamesh

What do you guys think of the Scorpion matchup? If they improve Scorpion like I expect they will and he becomes relevant again, it'd be good to know that match. Getting trait and keeping it out is hard in my mind, but I only play online and am a terribad player, so I'm generally free to a good scorpion.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
AK Pig Of The Hut why do you think Harley is bad?
It's legitimately the hardest MU ever to get trait out, the only safe way is to land a MB version of side arms or 123 on hit

Any laser setup can be shot before I can finding

If I trait up mid screen she can silly slide into her low tantrum starter and I get full combo'ed and now in corner where harley is nasty

Even if I duck her shots to refire back 3/4 to full screen it trades and trait gets stuffed. I have to play it at mid screen opening up her gun shot instant airs which is what she wants.

The main problem w harley MU #s is there are two players who truly play her at highest level (deG an salt face) I've never lost one game to any other harley

Colonel-Gilgamesh

It's legitimately the hardest MU ever to get trait out, the only safe way is to land a MB version of side arms or 123 on hit

Any laser setup can be shot before I can finding

If I trait up mid screen she can silly slide into her low tantrum starter and I get full combo'ed and now in corner where harley is nasty

Even if I duck her shots to refire back 3/4 to full screen it trades and trait gets stuffed. I have to play it at mid screen opening up her gun shot instant airs which is what she wants.

The main problem w harley MU #s is there are two players who truly play her at highest level (deG an salt face) I've never lost one game to any other harley
Have you tried canceling from d1 into hard knockdown? Or better yet, d1 d2 into trait? Or do you not count that as trait setup? Also what about blocked MB Laser, does that count as a laser setup? Not sure what laser setups you're talking about.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I like hearing that

What do u do to get trait out easily?
When u get trait out what do u do and how do u rush in
What's your approach to 24/7 FTD
Assuming you are out of range for an iaZC, when you block an FTD...

- side arm interrupts the next one but can be crouched. MB side arm can be delayed to bait an FTD. Activate trait on successful hit.

- (MB) low laser (unless full screen away) interrupts the next one but can jumped or forward dashed. FTD does slightly more chip damage than low laser but much less than MB low laser. After blocked MB low laser, do (MB) side arm or activate trait.

- fast kryptonian rifle trades in Aquaman's favor by 1%, but I am positive that you recover much quicker from a regular FTD than he does from the rifle. Wake up side arm interrupts wake up FTD full screen away. Very useful when you have the life lead.

Once you make the Aquaman player respect your options, you can block an FTD and activate trait, shoot a low laser, and mash 4. Whenever the bite connects, space yourself correctly and fully charge a low laser + the combo you taught me, which ignores his trait.

Now that you have the life lead, trade FTD chip damage with low laser until he dies or decides to approach you at mid range, where you can punish the FTD with an iaZC.

Pig Of The Hut

Have you tried canceling from d1 into hard knockdown? Or better yet, d1 d2 into trait? Or do you not count that as trait setup? Also what about blocked MB Laser, does that count as a laser setup? Not sure what laser setups you're talking about.
D1, d12 hard knockdowns do not exist post patch

Pig Of The Hut

Assuming you are out of range for an iaZC, when you block an FTD...

- side arm interrupts the next one but can be crouched. MB side arm can be delayed to bait an FTD. Activate trait on successful hit.

- (MB) low laser (unless full screen away) interrupts the next one but can jumped or forward dashed. FTD does slightly more chip damage than low laser but much less than MB low laser. After blocked MB low laser, do (MB) side arm or activate trait.

- fast kryptonian rifle trades in Aquaman's favor by 1%, but I am positive that you recover much quicker from a regular FTD than he does from the rifle. Wake up side arm interrupts wake up FTD full screen away. Very useful when you have the life lead.

Once you make the Aquaman player respect your options, you can block an FTD and activate trait, shoot a low laser, and mash 4. Whenever the bite connects, space yourself correctly and fully charge a low laser + the combo you taught me, which ignores his trait.

Now that you have the life lead, trade FTD chip damage with low laser until he dies or decides to approach you at mid range, where you can punish the FTD with an iaZC.
So u can laser him before another FTD?

Also how are u shooting a Kryptonian rifle ? Can't he FTD u leaving u no way to shoot it?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So u can laser him before another FTD?

Also how are u shooting a Kryptonian rifle ? Can't he FTD u leaving u no way to shoot it?
You can perform a low laser before he can perform another FTD as long as you are not full screen away of course.

After a blocked FTD, fast rifle trades with another one full screen away. I am positive.

Pig Of The Hut

Worst MU = S I N E S T R O

$50 goes to first one who can beat Woundcowboy in a ft 10 w Zod

No joke, this mu is god damn balls and i will look heavily into it. I do not care how you do vs any other sinestro. It has to be p2w or cowboy, no others.

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion

No joke, this mu is god damn balls and i will look heavily into it. I do not care how you do vs any other sinestro. It has to be p2w or cowboy, no others.
Sounds like we are in need for some Sinestro specific tech. Let's put our heads together!

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Zoning doesn't seem to be the way to play the sinestro mu. Probably more about mid range and reversal fear orbs with zod charge for a start.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Im thinking with this match we have to use instant air ZC to get across the screen, how to do that safely is the question.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Problem with using Zod charge is that the positioning is crap and it still doesn't help much since he's left mid screen, not close. So even if you land ZC, you're still left at about midscreen and you don't get trait out. Zod Balls really don't help that much, Sidearm is too slow. The only thing I can think of that might help is jumping forward and reacting to a boulder with a ZC. Or using d3 to potentially duck non MB fear blast. Can we do that max screen?

Pig Of The Hut

Problem with using Zod charge is that the positioning is crap and it still doesn't help much since he's left mid screen, not close. So even if you land ZC, you're still left at about midscreen and you don't get trait out. Zod Balls really don't help that much, Sidearm is too slow. The only thing I can think of that might help is jumping forward and reacting to a boulder with a ZC. Or using d3 to potentially duck non MB fear blast. Can we do that max screen?
I want to practice this MU so bad

I was thinking walking forward at mid range w ps especially in sweep range

The d3 idea is really interesting and ill attempt it

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
I will try this when I get home as well. I think I saw a WW the d3 tactic during TFC, may have been CDjr.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Went into training. You can d3 under Fear Blast normal, but not MB Fear Blast. You still have time to dash after a d3 before Sinestro throws out another Fear Blast and be able to block it.

M2Dave

Zoning Master

You already owe me $50 then because I beat P2W in a long series the weekend before TFC.

No offense, but I am not playing on stream and I am not discussing Zod's match ups until somebody confirms that the next patch is in fact the last one. This community consists of too many whiners (i.e., most notably GGA who are too close to NRS headquarters for my taste).