What's new

Match-up Discussion Becoming the Pope - The General Zod Matchup Thread

insignis

Noob
Need to know what to do vs Batgirl, anything to look for?

AK Pig Of The Hut EGP Wonder_Chef NY_Jailhouse Any advice?
She cant wake up against Zod,cuz everything will be combo punished. When u see cartweel,block first hit standing and then duck - you will be able to punish not only high and overhead but even low with your d12.
I had major problems with that match up, but it went better when I started to check Batgirl with bf3 and started to fight her at mid range

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
If anyone can beat wound cowboy ft10 with zod I will be insanely impressed
You literally cannot do anything ever with zod against the way he plays

So fucking frustrating honestly
I can beat people who play every character but I basically auto lose against good sinestro players
I beat his aqua man, ba , dd like 25-10

We are running sinestro ZOD this weekend

SimSim

Norwegian Lab-work Champion
A new tactic I have been using to some effect (It's hard to know if it will be more or less potent offline since I haven't experienced it outside of a laggy environment) is this:

After hitting someone with a full screen mb laser (and if trait is not out or has run out before you can grab), I do a grounded slow rifle shot as fast as possible, and dash after it. After only 1 dash you are in range to cross up with an instant air zod charge, and they will need to block the fireball the opposite way. You can land a full combo if they get hit, and I think you are safe if they block it.

By doing this you are giving up some damage in dash, zod charge as a combo, and you are putting yourself close to the opponent, so you need to be sure that's where you want to be.

I tried to find other ways to set up a cross up zod charge with a grounded fireball backing me up like this, but to no luck. With the set up I described they recover from their knock down way before you do the air charge, but it's pretty safe since they will get hit if they try to jump out.

Edit: Bleh I posted this in the wrong thread, but w/e

@AK Pig Of The Hut
@EGP Wonder_Chef
@NY_Jailhouse
@Marcus

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'm trying to learn this character and since there are no good Zod's in So Cal that I know... *cough* *cough* .....I decided to ask here.

What are Zod's worst match ups?

AA's and worst MU's are usually where I start with new characters..

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
I'm trying to learn this character and since there are no good Zod's in So Cal that I know... *cough* *cough* .....I decided to ask here.

What are Zod's worst match ups?

AA's and worst MU's are usually where I start with new characters..
I don't like the matchups vs Raven, Black Adam, Ares and Grundy. Ares and Grundy will be significantly less of a problem when Wraith gets fixed. Everyone else I feel is a 5-5 or better.

And Zod's AA game is pretty solid. Instant Air Zod Charge, D2, J1, Trait grab/slash.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I don't like the matchups vs Raven, Black Adam, Ares and Grundy. Ares and Grundy will be significantly less of a problem when Wraith gets fixed. Everyone else I feel is a 5-5 or better.

And Zod's AA game is pretty solid. Instant Air Zod Charge, D2, J1, Trait grab/slash.

And Superman of kourse too right?

Yeah. I noticed his AA's were pretty good.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Also.. What plus strings does he have?

11D2 isn't plus right?

22 is though? B23 definitely looks plus.

His jab is definitely plus. Kan't tell if standing 3 is or not?

Disaster FX

Boom Bap Dragon
11D2 and 112 have their plus frames reversed.
22 is plus, B23 is plus, 3 is plus but with limited use. MB ground blast is +15. 22 xx MB ground blast is a safe string on block, only fast armoured moves will interrupt the string.

Pig Of The Hut

A new tactic I have been using to some effect (It's hard to know if it will be more or less potent offline since I haven't experienced it outside of a laggy environment) is this:

After hitting someone with a full screen mb laser (and if trait is not out or has run out before you can grab), I do a grounded slow rifle shot as fast as possible, and dash after it. After only 1 dash you are in range to cross up with an instant air zod charge, and they will need to block the fireball the opposite way. You can land a full combo if they get hit, and I think you are safe if they block it.

By doing this you are giving up some damage in dash, zod charge as a combo, and you are putting yourself close to the opponent, so you need to be sure that's where you want to be.

I tried to find other ways to set up a cross up zod charge with a grounded fireball backing me up like this, but to no luck. With the set up I described they recover from their knock down way before you do the air charge, but it's pretty safe since they will get hit if they try to jump out.

Edit: Bleh I posted this in the wrong thread, but w/e

@AK Pig Of The Hut
@EGP Wonder_Chef
@NY_Jailhouse
@Marcus
Thats awesome

can you give us a video showing how to do this and how the cross up works?

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
11d2 -4
112 +5
22 +1
b23 +2
3 +2

Wow.. So 112 is +5.. Wouldn't have guessed that.

It would've been better if 11d2 was +5. That breath looks so kool. (get it..?)

From the looks of things 22 and 21 kan really mix people up if they're not paying attention. 22 being plus and 21 leading to the overhead. So you kan 50/50 them after 21 if they thought it was 22...

Pig Of The Hut

Wow.. So 112 is +5.. Wouldn't have guessed that.

It would've been better if 11d2 was +5. That breath looks so kool. (get it..?)

From the looks of things 22 and 21 kan really mix people up if they're not paying attention. 22 being plus and 21 leading to the overhead. So you kan 50/50 them after 21 if they thought it was 22...
that why i use it

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
From range you need to exchange projectiles and keep track of Sinestro's meter for EX fear blasts. On boulder drops and single fear blasts, reply with sidearm, a hit will allow you to activate trait. Go from there.

The Farmer

Gunslinger since pre ptch -Shout out 2 Youphs 2015
Also, when he finds gaps to activate his trait, if yours is cooled, activate yours.

that why i use it
So do you think you will see an influx of zod players with your new tech? I have loved zod since he came out. I was a little disappointed when m2dave came out with such a negative reaction to him. I felt his power but i didn't truly know how to optimize or execute it. I lost faith in zod because everyone kept saying he was bad and then through my experience i was still struggling in match ups.With your tech and knowledge i have been following closely has improved my gameplay alot. I am still learning how to improve my gameplay slowly but surely following your tech and knowledge of match ups. How do you feel zod is going to be in the balance patch? Still strong or you think they are going to nerf his trait or will it increase his effectiveness? Anyways much respect and love to you and your work ethic and methodology. I hope you can respond and keep us updated on what you find!

insignis

Noob
Wonder if it's known but I just found out that Zod can do d3 on reaction against Doomsday jd3. Quite vital tool as far Zod cannot d2 that like Sinestro.

Pig Of The Hut

So do you think you will see an influx of zod players with your new tech? I have loved zod since he came out. I was a little disappointed when m2dave came out with such a negative reaction to him. I felt his power but i didn't truly know how to optimize or execute it. I lost faith in zod because everyone kept saying he was bad and then through my experience i was still struggling in match ups.With your tech and knowledge i have been following closely has improved my gameplay alot. I am still learning how to improve my gameplay slowly but surely following your tech and knowledge of match ups. How do you feel zod is going to be in the balance patch? Still strong or you think they are going to nerf his trait or will it increase his effectiveness? Anyways much respect and love to you and your work ethic and methodology. I hope you can respond and keep us updated on what you find!
Thanks man

I think ZOD will be better in the patch because Paulo has confirmed the following or hinted at some things

-trait glitches removed (the most massive problem)
-f213 will not whiff anymore on half cast
-better in general by natural process of the top tiers getting "normalized"
-hinted at being able to parry trait is a glitch (really stupid lol)

I feel his worst MUs will be
Harley 4-6
Aqua 4-6
MMH is questionable but probably 5-5

I feel he excels in MUs where few do such as

Black Adam 5-5
Flash 5-5
Superman 5-5 possibly 6-4 after patch
Wonder Woman 6-4
Batman 5-5
Frost 6-4 (definitely 6-4 post patch)
Doomsday 6-4
Green lantern 6-4
Scorpion 6-4
Batgirl 5-5

I think these #s point to ZOD being top 5, possibly 4-5 range with the other tops being MMH, aqua man, black Adam and batman possibly