What's new

Match-up Discussion Becoming the Pope - The General Zod Matchup Thread

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
You already owe me $50 then because I beat P2W in a long series the weekend before TFC.

No offense, but I am not playing on stream and I am not discussing Zod's match ups until somebody confirms that the next patch is in fact the last one. This community consists of too many whiners (i.e., most notably GGA who are too close to NRS headquarters for my taste).
ok then ill have cowboy play u online and hear a score

Abbneto

God's only man, spared by the Butcher.
5$ says that unless they patch his difficulty to be non-restrictive, nobody but us and wherever Pig/Chef go will believe Zod is top 5.

He really is top 5. Hey, we should make a thread for that!

EDIT: By the way, why no Superman top 5? Or is this post patch listings?
Am I wrong thinking that in order to be top 5 you shouldn't have such a shitty MU? From my experience, Sinestro being almost one sided, also with AK Pig Of The Hut getting Sinestro'd at TFC. Unless M2Dave has figured out something no one else has. But I can't do shit against Sinestro as Zod.

Abbneto

It's not correct to deam Sinestro a horrible MU until more research and evidence is put forward.
I guess I should have expressed that more, instead of just saying what I had said about M2Dave. But I am yet to figure anything out, maybe just lame it out and inch your way in and hope for the best. But regardless, it is a very difficult MU without having done any research on said MU. But wouldn't that make it a bad MU regardless having to figure out how to beat the character?

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Hates NRS for making me not like Superman
It's not correct to deam Sinestro a horrible MU until more research and evidence is put forward.
TFC was pretty good evidence. We can always have Pig dust off his Sinestro and have a majority of Zod's go up against it in an attempt to understand it a bit more

Colonel-Gilgamesh

THEORY FIGHTER TIME!

Ok, so here's why Sinestro is probably his worst matchup

1) Their playstyles are extremely similar. Both character can zone, can operate up close, and both are really damn good when trait comes out. Difference is that not only does Sinestro take control of the air better, Sinestro is capable of getting out trait more often. Furthermore, once Sinestro HAS trait out, he can keep it out, compared to Zod who should get trait out more regularly, but can't because Fear Blast > Zod's tools.

2) While both are fairly similar, Sinestro's zoning is VASTLY superior to Zod's. Fear Blast aside, Boulders give Sinestro a way to knock Zod out of his MB Zod Balls, and the Tires give great trait time. Side Arm is not enough in that match like Harley Guns or Nightwing Blast might be.

3) Sinestro runs better without trait than Zod without trait. This is PURELY opinion and I acknowledge it, but Sinestro is closer to being a complete character solo than Zod. Zod with trait out is more dangerous than Sinestro with trait out, but the trade off is the 10+ second CD and stupid long startup on the Ghost of Thomas the Tank Engine(see recently made Zod thread on Zod trait glitch for context). Ordinarily this isn't that bad since Zod controls the match against most characters well enough to justify it, but as said before, Sinestro's own ability to control Zod's options heavily reduces the chance that Zod can get trait out. Zod's Ghostless the majority of the match.

Pig Of The Hut

THEORY FIGHTER TIME!

Ok, so here's why Sinestro is probably his worst matchup

1) Their playstyles are extremely similar. Both character can zone, can operate up close, and both are really damn good when trait comes out. Difference is that not only does Sinestro take control of the air better, Sinestro is capable of getting out trait more often. Furthermore, once Sinestro HAS trait out, he can keep it out, compared to Zod who should get trait out more regularly, but can't because Fear Blast > Zod's tools.

2) While both are fairly similar, Sinestro's zoning is VASTLY superior to Zod's. Fear Blast aside, Boulders give Sinestro a way to knock Zod out of his MB Zod Balls, and the Tires give great trait time. Side Arm is not enough in that match like Harley Guns or Nightwing Blast might be.

3) Sinestro runs better without trait than Zod without trait. This is PURELY opinion and I acknowledge it, but Sinestro is closer to being a complete character solo than Zod. Zod with trait out is more dangerous than Sinestro with trait out, but the trade off is the 10+ second CD and stupid long startup on the Ghost of Thomas the Tank Engine(see recently made Zod thread on Zod trait glitch for context). Ordinarily this isn't that bad since Zod controls the match against most characters well enough to justify it, but as said before, Sinestro's own ability to control Zod's options heavily reduces the chance that Zod can get trait out. Zod's Ghostless the majority of the match.
i dont know if i agree with #3

i think zod has issues because he has gl's movement

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
We're starting to see that Zod has mobility issues. He has a good back dash bit his forward dash has long recovery and his walk speed is poor with slow start up. Zod charge is not reliable either. It's something I've been thinking about for a while.

Pig's result isn't enough to deam the MU bad, just because he is a well known player in a big tourney
He is only one player, against a player that has been using his main for much longer than Pig with Zod.

Don't jump to conclusions, it is TYM's biggest fault. Give it time and consideration.

Abbneto

We're starting to see that Zod has mobility issues. He has a good back dash bit his forward dash has long recovery and his walk speed is poor with slow start up. Zod charge is not reliable either. It's something I've been thinking about for a while.

Pig's result isn't enough to deam the MU bad, just because he is a well known player in a big tourney
He is only one player, against a player that has been using his main for much longer than Pig with Zod.

Don't jump to conclusions, it is TYM's biggest fault. Give it time and consideration.
You're right, but it is without a doubt a difficult one as of now.

Colonel-Gilgamesh

Bah, what's the point of a forum if you can't wildly speculate on the smallest inkling of something

M2Dave

Zoning Master
general m2dave needs to figure out how to attend a major and stop keyboard warror-ing it up
When the trait is out, Zod has a full screen 50/50 mix up against lots of characters, including Sinestro, using a fully low charged laser (or also MB low laser) and instant bite (back dash ~ bite has no moving animation when executed properly). Whatever connects provides at least 40% of damage and wastes half the loading time of the trait. If you end combos with MB phantom strike, you can usually set up an instant aerial rifle too which cuts down the loading time to 3-4 seconds.

If Sinestro attempts to close the gap, a combo that I have been working on is f+2,3,1 xx phantom strike, slash, 3, slash, 3, slash, d+1,2 xx MB phantom strike for 52%.

After fighting P2W and Blind Ducky, Raven is more difficult than Sinestro.

Pig Of The Hut

When the trait is out, Zod has a full screen 50/50 mix up against lots of characters, including Sinestro, using a fully low charged laser (or also MB low laser) and instant bite (back dash ~ bite has no moving animation when executed properly). Whatever connects provides at least 40% of damage and wastes half the loading time of the trait. If you end combos with MB phantom strike, you can usually set up an instant aerial rifle too which cuts down the loading time to 3-4 seconds.

If Sinestro attempts to close the gap, a combo that I have been working on is f+2,3,1 xx phantom strike, slash, 3, slash, 3, slash, d+1,2 xx MB phantom strike for 52%.

After fighting P2W and Blind Ducky, Raven is more difficult than Sinestro.
IMO raven is 5-5 I have no issues w

Show me how to beat cowboy sinestro and ill show u raven MU w ducky

He told me he beat u like 48-20

M2Dave

Zoning Master
IMO raven is 5-5 I have no issues w

Show me how to beat cowboy sinestro and ill show u raven MU w ducky

He told me he beat u like 48-20
He did the first time we fought.

I used to play a character who out zoned Raven and punished squeeze anywhere on the screen, so I never actually had to deal with her tools.

It took me many games to learn the match up, and I am doing much better now.

Pig Of The Hut

He did the first time we fought.

I used to play a character who out zoned Raven and punished squeeze anywhere on the screen, so I never actually had to deal with her tools.

It took me many games to learn the match up, and I am doing much better now.
how do u advance on sinestro

explain how you play the MU

M2Dave

Zoning Master
how do u advance on sinestro

explain how you play the MU
Advance? Why would I need to advance? I have a full screen 50/50 mix up. He does not. I only advance when I am down in life. Besides, blocked shackles and boulder guarantee trait activation.

Also, what is the 40% MB Full Screen laser combo you speak of?
Bite -> fully charged low laser -> b+3 -> jump 3 -> 1,2,3 xx MB phantom strike.