What's new

At this point, is there any one person who thinks this game is balanced?

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
You can call mk11 a lot of things and hate most of its mechanic, but not being balanced is definitely not one of them

Every single character in this game is usable and good enough to win tourneys
Shao Kahn and Robocop are arguably the bottom 2 characters in the roster and they both recently won pro kompetition events.

Obviously, bullshit characters like Jacqui and Cetrion exists, and they will always exist because at the end of the day someone HAS to be the number one and number two character in the tier list and they will be a lot better than others

Any other game out there has 8-2 mus and even 9-1s, mk11 barely has 7-3s at all.
I think the game is arguably balanced for terrible reasons if it is. If it's balanced, it's due to how many comeback factors are in the game, how many options you have to worm your way out of definitive mistakes, it's not balanced cause the character designs are there. Even a shitty character is gonna win when always have string into fatal blow when you're losing.

WA-Finest

>>WILL SLIDE IN NEUTRAL<<
actually they are very different.
X-Rays didn't last more than 5 seconds and was the only time in the game you could see internal damage, they were quick, swift and straight to the point, they had to be managed with meter which in turn you had to know how and when to use it otherwise you would have spend all your resources.

Fatal Blows are boring, the animations get stale, there is a damage boost mechanic, some of these give insane amount of space control, and have pushback, like geras FB defies the laws of physics on block. And the worst part, there is no managing, pressing fatal blows you can just use it and if done right no one is punishing you for it, and after a while it comes back as long as both characters are still fighting.

Easily one of the worst mechanics of this game.
Now that you mention it I see what you mean. Characters with strong FBs like LK and Geras and Kabal do get free pressure at a ridiculous range just by having their FB ready to go. That is frustrating especially when you're playing a character that needs to be closer like NW or Jax to enforce their gameplan, it make the entire approach a minefield. But I'll still have to disagree about the animation. It's not super cool after the 50th time but I don't really mind.

D

Deleted member 64931

Yet mk11 is the only game that people talk about it because “people are scared of flawless blocks”
I wonder why :coffee:
Are you F'ing stupid? Let me explain jailing to you scrub. If I am plus 16 on hit, and use an 11 frame mid - you are jailed. If I am plus 3 on hit and use an 11 frame mid you are not jailed. THIS IS THE ONLY GAME WHERE YOU CAN STEAL YOUR TURN BACK ON JAILS BECAUSE OF FLAWLESS BLOCK. ARMOR NEVER DID THIS.

You gotta love when scrubs come on here and pretend they know FGC terminology. Gamefaqs is calling your name dude.

Are you F'ing stupid? Let me explain jailing to you scrub. If I am plus 16 on hit, and use an 11 frame mid - you are jailed. If I am plus 3 on hit and use an 11 frame mid you are not jailed. THIS IS THE ONLY GAME WHERE YOU CAN STEAL YOUR TURN BACK ON JAILS BECAUSE OF FLAWLESS BLOCK. ARMOR NEVER DID THIS.

You gotta love when scrubs come on here and pretend they know FGC terminology. Gamefaqs is calling your name dude.
So much love

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

Well obviously it's not jailing if I can steal my turn back fam :eek:

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
I watched Dragon's video. At no time did he say that MK11 wasn't competitively viable. I don't think he even used the word "balance" a single time. What he did say (twice actually) was that MK11 is an "incredibly well-made" game at its core and that he likes it very much. So as a start, maybe we can stop trying to gaslight people with false claims that Dragon (and all the non-"kids" in the world, apparently) agree with your extreme (and demonstrably false) take on the game.

What Dragon did talk about was some thoughtful, reasonable critiques of a few of the game's mechanics that he thinks are flaws, mainly because they skew the risk-reward ratio in certain ways:
  • Breakaways; flawless blocks: Both of these give the defender an opportunity to punish the attacker even after the defender got hit; thus the attacker has to deal with a risk of being punished just for trying to cash in the reward from the hit;
  • Jump kicks; fatal blows: These attacks are very powerful but very difficult to punish consistently; thus the attacker gets the potential of huge reward without needing to take on a fair level of risk to get it.
I agree (and I suspect most people here do) that these are all dumb, because they go against basic FG fundamentals. If you land a hit, you should get the reward without having to play an ugly mind game around it. And if you throw out an attack that has a big potential reward, you should be taking an equally big risk if your opponent defends correctly.

But Dragon never said these things were anti-competitive--which (to me) would mean that they break the game so badly that superior skill no longer matters; anyone could win, regardless of skill, by abusing these mechanics. That's completely untrue. Yes, they definitely violate our sense of fairness and sportsmanship; they don't reward fundamentals and instead encourage some ugly behavior--but you CAN play around them, and people do, every day. Yes, they introduce a bit more guessing and randomness--but the person who plays with more skill is still far more likely to come out on top.

A lot of people would prefer not to compete in a game like this; that's fine. But it's a big honkin' stretch to claim that no one can compete in it; that's complete nonsense.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw

Scrub? Wanna ft10 me loser never speaks on this website again? Stay on your line kid

Well obviously it's not jailing if I can steal my turn back fam :eek:
@Injustice 3 Please theres your answer, scrub

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
I think the game is arguably balanced for terrible reasons if it is. If it's balanced, it's due to how many comeback factors are in the game, how many options you have to worm your way out of definitive mistakes, it's not balanced cause the character designs are there. Even a shitty character is gonna win when always have string into fatal blow when you're losing.
Imo having those comeback factors is what really makes the game feels like im not playing an uphill battle for picking a character that gets completely destroyed by other which makes every single character in the game usable at some extent, and imo that is a good thing

D

Deleted member 64931

Scrub? Wanna ft10 me loser never speaks on this website again? Stay on your line kid

@Injustice 3 Please theres your answer, scrub
You might be the dumbest guy I’ve talked to all
Year. Do you understand basic math at all. Because you can steal your turn back it’s not jailing?? That’s the fucking point! Flawless blocking breaks the rules of jailing frames. In any other context if you are jailed you can do nothing but block or get hit. That’s it. You can’t even mash x ray in mkx. Flawless blocking allows you to escape your opponent being plus 100 on hit.

And like you’ve ever won a first to ten in your life. I have three accounts in the top 100. You obviously know you’re a scrubby little try hard trying to Talk shit.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
You might be the dumbest guy I’ve talked to all
Year. Do you understand basic math at all. Because you can steal your turn back it’s not jailing?? That’s the fucking point! Flawless blocking breaks the rules of jailing frames. In any other context if you are jailed you can do nothing but block or get hit. That’s it. You can’t even mash x ray in mkx. Flawless blocking allows you to escape your opponent being plus 100 on hit.

And like you’ve ever won a first to ten in your life. I have three accounts in the top 100. You obviously know you’re a scrubby little try hard trying to Talk shit.
You gonna play or keep deflecting with ur bs top 100 shit?

D

Deleted member 64931

Yeah, but cursing people out and calling them scrubs isn't going to help them take a step back and consider your point.
There is no point of view. There’s the correct definition of jailing and then there’s the wrong one. Youre an admin right. Unless you want to this to devolve into some gamefaqs circle jerk where scrubby try hards pat themselves on the back for hearing a Fgc term on stream and the proceeding to use it incorrectly, just delete the post for incorrect information.
That’s totally fair.

Swindle

Philanthropist & Asshole
Yes, it is.

But perhaps more importantly, Tekken 7's meta is not d+1/strike/throw/jump kick.
No, it isn’t.
Leroy, Fakumram and a number of others don’t care about your meta. But, stay on brand, Davey.

DeftMonk

Noob
Ya know. I hated, all the way down to my core, trying to play KI. I mean I've never disliked playing a fighter till then. I just wanted to saw my fingers off trying to play it and had to QUIT playing. I gave it a good shot, but hell no. Such an obnoxious game. Had to quit.

MK11 is way more fun and a better game than KI. Prove me wrong.
what? This is almost as crazy a take as that guy saying sf4 super balanced along with tekken 7. Balance honestly isnnt that important imo. If the game is fun just play it... People still out here playing the shit out of mvc2 and everyone should know that game's balance is well...lacking.