What's new

At this point, is there any one person who thinks this game is balanced?

Just a question.

After all this....2 years after the release, after dragons video....after brain off variation of sheeva....Is there a single person who defends this game, as a competitive fighting game?

MKX was so balanced and such an amazing game.

Someone should make a petition to have MKX at EVO 2022. The combos, the execution, the full viable roster... That's the fighting game we need right now.
You are the guy that intrigues me the most. You clearly, invest a lot of your time labbing, playing the games you like. You understand the options, mechanics....etc....but when comes to evaluate if "x" or "y" game is fair and balanced or not....you come with some opinions that are just absurd to me, just ignoring things that are basic in any FG, as anti air, turns....neutral.

I think that some people are so driven by competition....they forget that in order to competition exists there has to be some rules.

I listen to your podcast, I really respect you....but it is really difficult to understand why you say that x or y game is balanced, when, clearly....is not even near that.

For people to claim that MKX need to come back...that says a lot about the current situation of mk11.

Szkarad

( • )( • )ԅ(≖⌣≖ԅ)
It's balanced enough for most players, not the ones that play tournaments, but the guys who play kombat league or casual. Yeah. You can pick any kharacter and do well with them. I remember picking Raiden up a couple of months before his buffs. It was doable and even fun.

REO

Undead
@BRAZILIAN SHEEPAre you saying MKX wasn't balanced and that it was not the best fighting game NRS has ever created? Because all I read today in 2021 is how amazing and a gem of a fighting game MKX is at a high level.

Let's break down what makes MKX an amazing fighting game:

• It doesn't have customs like MK11
  • It's not broken like MK11
  • It doesn't have 1-9 match ups like MK11
  • It doesn't have turn stealing like MK11
  • It has execution and super creative play styles unlike MK11
  • It has combos unlike MK11
  • It's not a walk-back fest like MK11
  • It's not a zone fest like MK11
  • You can't get scrubbed out in MKX because the game's skill ceiling is so impeccably high, a random scrub would never have a chance to jump in on you or open you up in the game.
Do I really need to go on? Pretty much MKX did almost everything right and that's why so many people express their love for the game today in 2021 and they want MK12 to be a remake of MKX. Hope most of you get your wish TBH

lol reo out here trolling, but anyways I think with mkx (end of the life cycle) it was pretty balanced. Everyone could win with any character. Even the bruh moment variation of drunk master bo. I do believe we are at the end of the mk11 life cycle, so comparing the two I do believe mkx to be the better one balance wise. (kinda weird but yah)

I think comparing this game with injustice 2 would be better since it kinda plays the same and has more similarities with it than mkx.

@BRAZILIAN SHEEPAre you saying MKX wasn't balanced and that it was not the best fighting game NRS has ever created? Because all I read today in 2021 is how amazing and a gem of a fighting game MKX is at a high level.

Let's break down what makes MKX an amazing fighting game:

• It doesn't have customs like MK11
  • It's not broken like MK11
  • It doesn't have 1-9 match ups like MK11
  • It doesn't have turn stealing like MK11
  • It has execution and super creative play styles unlike MK11
  • It has combos unlike MK11
  • It's not a walk-back fest like MK11
  • It's not a zone fest like MK11
  • You can't get scrubbed out in MKX because the game's skill ceiling is so impeccably high, a random scrub would never have a chance to jump in on you or open you up in the game.
Do I really need to go on? Pretty much MKX did almost everything right and that's why so many people express their love for the game today in 2021 and they want MK12 to be a remake of MKX. Hope most of you get your wish TBH
In my opinion there is not even a single one game made by nrs that could be called balanced and competitively viable. Don't get me wrong: They are fun. Beautiful....but, marketing of WB is fucked up and balance is not even a thing in their games.

We tend to say that x or y game is balanced based on comparison, and I think this is not a good way to evaluate the games.
I think MK11 is so broken that people are missing another mess, which is MKX. Did you forget how shitty it was? As Tom described, it was mix or get mixed. People running like crazy....characters winning by just getting near you. Insane 50/50s like....another party game, right?
Saying that MKX is balanced because it is not mk11....I don't get it.

And I honestly think that the most neutral based game from NRS is MK11....but....neutral mean shit if you don't make the frame data logical, if jump ins are free, the break aways, fatal blows almost plus ahahah....we all know the intentional bullshit for casuals, right?

The fair example that I remember in FGs is alex valle against daigo in 2010 tournament in super street fighter 4. That was fair.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
There are about 20 viable characters — so yeah, it’s pretty balanced.

As always, no game is flawlessly balanced and there will always be a top tier and bottom tier. But it’s not surprising at this point in the patching to see more than half of our cast in Top 8.

D

Deleted member 64931

To be fair every mkx top 8 has more variety than mk11... no trolling here. I still play mkx. It does require more match up knowledge with the crazy about of mix in that game and jailing plus frames were actually real. DF Liu Kang and Demo Sonya were truly broken (she had a red meterless wake up essentially), but game is still more fun.

I can only talk about games that I played.

Certainly, SF4 and Tekken 7 are way more balanced. Still some shit happening there, but way ahead MK11.

MK11 in certain matchups is not even a FG man. Jaccqui vs any....is just a scrub fest. No rules whatsoever.

D

Deleted member 64931

I can only talk about games that I played.

Certainly, SF4 and Tekken 7 are way more balanced. Still some shit happening there, but way ahead MK11.

MK11 in certain matchups is not even a FG man. Jaccqui vs any....is just a scrub fest. No rules whatsoever.
Dude MKX mileena is not a fighting game... Have you ever played a decent Millena. Character is just constantly threatening you with an unreachable teleport that has a mind game with mb/ normal/ air said throw.

To be fair every mkx top 8 has more variety than mk11... no trolling here. I still play mkx. It does require more match up knowledge with the crazy about of mix in that game and jailing plus frames were actually real. DF Liu Kang and Demo Sonya were truly broken (she had a red meterless wake up essentially), but game is still more fun.
Oh how we can forget 7 Tanyas in the top 8 at Ceo :laughing:

Last edited:

John_NX

Your circumstances are dire!
Injustice 2 is the most balanced game in my opinion.

When it comes to MK11, sure it's "generally" considered balanced. It's not though. There are tons of things that need to be reworked / tweaked if we want to consider it fully balanced.

Obly

Ambiguous world creator
The question doesn't even make sense. It's not a matter of belief, it's an indisputable fact: People are competing in MK11 (a lot of them, actually). The outcomes are not random; the winners clearly have a high degree of skill at using the rules of the game. Yeah there's too much Jacqui and Cetrion, but there's still a sizable representation of other characters at the top of the brackets; there's a whole thread here at TYM dedicating to documenting that fact just for the Pro Series. Sheeva hasn't even come close to being the brainless bracket-destroying monster everyone was losing their shit about.

It's not a perfect game by any means, but no FG is. We'd all like another balance patch and changes to certain mechanics. But regardless, no amount of subjective belief (from the OP or anyone else) that MK11 is "not a real competitive FG" has any bearing on the objective fact that it most clearly, obviously is.

Ashesfall

"Feel the wrath of Shao Kahn"
@REO
If my memory don't trick me, I am sure the first year of MK11 you were so happy MKX is now past and you will never go back. Now the 180 turn around ...
Top Tanya and Alien? I don't think MK11 is done, if so, we can actually compare ...
It also means "complaining" isn't bad, as this could also just be seen as feedback.
(NRS showed us already with MKX to MKXL, that they can overhaul a game, if they want to)

Turn stealing moves were called armor moves, way more easy as hitting a 3 frame window.

I have more fun with MK11 and other like MKXL more, I don't see an issue here. It's called taste

MK11 for sure should still be tweaked and balanced in variation moves, I really like the video by Dragon
Very honest on Cetrion, rare to see that attitude
one example: Standblock or crouchblock changes the pusback on Fatal Blows? That's actually fucked up

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
You can call mk11 a lot of things and hate most of its mechanic, but not being balanced is definitely not one of them

Every single character in this game is usable and good enough to win tourneys
Shao Kahn and Robocop are arguably the bottom 2 characters in the roster and they both recently won pro kompetition events.

Obviously, bullshit characters like Jacqui and Cetrion exists, and they will always exist because at the end of the day someone HAS to be the number one and number two character in the tier list and they will be a lot better than others

Any other game out there has 8-2 mus and even 9-1s, mk11 barely has 7-3s at all.

I think the characters are mostly balanced. I am not speaking of the mechanics of the game or anything like that...just the 45 characters and how they play against each other in the game. There are some obvious top tiers and there are a few 'uhhhhh' characters like Sheeva and her stomp.

I know that tournament results don't dictate tier lists, but the recent online Pro Komp has offered up a huge sample size of the overall competitive nature of the game. Sure we've seen 200 Jacqui's and Scorpions and sure we've seen two Sheeva's stomp the yard for an event Win. But we've also seen Jax win, a Terminator in grand finals against Cetrion, a RoboCop win a grand finals...

I think it's a balanced game with a couple glaring issues.