What's new

ask sektor thread

whats the best answer to break up a solid rushdown? i sometimes have trouble with reptil, kabal, and cage. and any advice against online scorpians would be great.

whats the best answer to break up a solid rushdown? i sometimes have trouble with kabal and cage. and any advice against online scorpians would be great.
This is more your ability to read your opponent and low pokes are usually a good way to stop a rushdown. Flamethrower is a good way to maintain space, as are Missiles.

Scorpion is easy to read, as his Teleport and Spear are obvious. Learn to block, or evade, these. You can TU Spear; b3, 4 his Teleport, etc... Just block and unleash a punish combo when applicable.

Kabal... Good luck with that, if the guy is good. I struggle against a good Kabal. Spacing is important here, as is zoning. Don't underestimate the use of b1.

Cage is a little bit easier than Kabal. Sektor is a much better zoner, so keeping Cage at a distance is key.

I know this is general, but I'm kind of strapped for time and wanted to offer my advice.

What is Sektor's general playstyle supposed to be? I know he isn't a rushdown so does he count as a zoner? I usually use Smoke, Cyber Sub, and Ermac and I'm not used to the whole limited moveset with alot of power thing he has going on.

What is Sektor's general playstyle supposed to be? I know he isn't a rushdown so does he count as a zoner? I usually use Smoke, Cyber Sub, and Ermac and I'm not used to the whole limited moveset with alot of power thing he has going on.
Punishment is his playstyle, with a heavy dose of zoning. He can go toe-to-toe for a bit, but he is by no means a rushdown character.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Sometimes I like to do b2,1 on opponents wakeup since they usually they don't expect it (usually on aggressive rushdown chars), and the first hit hits low enough to catch someone who is getting up. If it's blocked it's a free 4% damage and I believe you're safe from punishment

guys I started to play sektor, and I have problem connecting TU jk TU. after TU I press up+forward than 3 and after that another TU, but my last TU won't connect? Any advices? thanks

I think you have to buffer the uppercut with the jump kick. After jumping do the inputs as d+3/4, f+4. It usually is easier for me this way.

Btw is human Sektor better than robot version or vice versa?

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
guys I started to play sektor, and I have problem connecting TU jk TU. after TU I press up+forward than 3 and after that another TU, but my last TU won't connect? Any advices? thanks
You can do a JK then just do the df inputs for the TU and negative edge will make it come out.

I think you have to buffer the uppercut with the jump kick. After jumping do the inputs as d+3/4, f+4. It usually is easier for me this way.

Btw is human Sektor better than robot version or vice versa?
Human sektor has more range on the last hit of 122 so you can do certain combo's with him you can't do with robo sek but those combo's arn't exactly better than his bnb's. His x-ray also shoots lower so you can get a couple more hits in an x-ray combo (useless). However his missle start up times are a bit slower so overall your better of with robo sektor.

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
I picked up Sektor yesterday. I've just been learning the fundamentals with him so far but I am loving his playstyle. Those tele combos are deadly punishers and the ability to switch sides by tacking on the ex tu is great (nobody wants to end up in the corner after a combo). I had been thinking his meter would always be spent on ex tu's for maximum damage and corner reversal, at least offensively, but the homing missile is interesting. Do you guys know of any frame traps that focus on the homing missiles? I haven't really explored the potential myself yet and forgive me for being ignorant of the extent of Sektor's tools at the moment.

I main Sub-Zero, so Sektor is an interesting change of pace for me. I think he's agreat character.

Casselman

Also: LockUpYourBones
the following postt aken from another thread, Just putting it in here because it's related to both threads. Need some advice
----------------------------

Have a tourney coming up. Looking to try and take it with Sektor. But I'm not sure if its the best choice with powerful reptiles and kitanas also attending.

I can outrange kitana pretty fine. She isn't my concern at this point. Its reptiles dash. Upon a punish or a 12b1 juggle. what combo is there ending in a missile trap thats safe on the dash for another offensive opportunity?

Ive tried in the corner 12b1, 12, 122+upmissile. But his wakeup dash beats both the missile and the block.
12b1, 12, 12+upmissile is alot safer but still poses some risk.

Also. When ranging reptile. I find upmissiles are useless with the dash. and unless you read the jump, bf2 is unsafe against dash as well (frame difference)

The main hole in my game. More of a question in need of answering, is what to do with constant crossover pressure on a rushing opponent? Its hard to to practice test with just myself. But is there any jab or starter for a cross-jumping opponent to set up a F33/4TU, b34 EXtu, B2+bf2? or something along those lines?
------------

Crathen

Death is my business
For reptile , don't use upmissiles on him , zone him with straight missiles ( as the best trade he can get is an acid spit wich doesnt knock you down ) and watch out for jump / jumpins and punish those with either Flamethrower or 1 into TP into full combo , as for the upmissiles traps , don't use those on reptile , he can easily dash those on reaction , so you'd better end your combos with either b21 or b2 flamethrower , same for the corner combos since you can 12b1 b21 12 122 flamethrower negating his wakeup game , as for crossjumps you really need to read your opponent.. does he crossjump after a certain string?does he dashes into jumpin/crossjump? if the reptile players is any good he will mix it up with lowpokes to make you do a mistake but that's your job ( figuring out his habits ) , and if you are getting crossed up don't try to punish it late , best advice i can give you is to let off block and d1 into ft or Tu but that's risky if mistimed since you are letting your opponent get a chance to start a combo , it depends on you.

Oh and always block low against reptile on wakeups since you can see his overhead acid hand and stand up block , punish dashes ( 12b1 ) and slides ( dash forward 12b1 ) accordingly , if he camps fullscreen trying to zone you make him respect your iaTu on reaction.

Hey Guys, at first sorry for my bad english. I hope you will understand my problem

I have a question about Sektor. I main Sub Zero and Sektor should be my 2nd Char. I think he is a good addition. He can handle with zoners (Subs biggest Problem) and he has good rushdown properties. I picked him up yesterday and in online matches I got 1000 chances for a Full Combo. Now I have a question about this combo
b21 TU b21 b34 EX TU B2 Flamethrower. What is the trick to land b21 b34? B21 hits but for b34, I cant figure out a timing. Is there a little pause inbetween or do I have to input it in one string?

FatalTragedy

Jesus Fucking Christ
Hey Guys, at first sorry for my bad english. I hope you will understand my problem

I have a question about Sektor. I main Sub Zero and Sektor should be my 2nd Char. I think he is a good addition. He can handle with zoners (Subs biggest Problem) and he has good rushdown properties. I picked him up yesterday and in online matches I got 1000 chances for a Full Combo. Now I have a question about this combo
b21 TU b21 b34 EX TU B2 Flamethrower. What is the trick to land b21 b34? B21 hits but for b34, I cant figure out a timing. Is there a little pause inbetween or do I have to input it in one string?
I don't think the combo works off a full b21. I go from b2 straight into TU (keep in mind it's a little tricky to land a naked b2 AND hit confirm it which is why this combo is very situational for me).

Now, on the b21 b34, you want to start the b21 as soon as you can. Before you think you should. If you're doing it right the b2 won't even look like it'll connect. As far as the pause between the two strings (since you're a Sub main) it's somewhat non-existent, like the pause in Sub's b12 212 combo ender. It's a pause, but a slight one at that. Most important thing is that you don't rush the b34 into TU because it's easy to drop the 4 from the combo altogether and go straight into teleport.

of course, the combo doesn´t work with b21 as starter, sorry. I know, its a bit tricky to explain somebody a timing problem, but your discription helps. THX After TU the b21 is no problem. I´ll start practicing with TU b21 b3

isn't it better in the corner to end with F4 UM?

12B1 B21 F4 UM?

Or 12B1 F43 TU JK EX TU F4 UM

what do you guys use as pressure strings? personally i use 21 D3 12 12B1.

ryublaze

Noob
isn't it better in the corner to end with F4 UM?

12B1 B21 F4 UM?

Or 12B1 F43 TU JK EX TU F4 UM

what do you guys use as pressure strings? personally i use 21 D3 12 12B1.
That corner combo wouldn't work because the opponent falls to the ground before you can do F4 UM. It's better to end with 122 UM.

The 2nd combo you posted works but it's easier to just do 1 UM. It does the same amount of damage as F4 UM.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
I just wanted to come in here and say that I really hate Sektor's hand spark/flamethrower keep away game. Are there any secret holes in it that I'm not seeing? How much disadvantage is hand spark on block?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I just wanted to come in here and say that I really hate Sektor's hand spark/flamethrower keep away game. Are there any secret holes in it that I'm not seeing? How much disadvantage is hand spark on block?
That's his b1. It's definitely safe on block. However, it has a bigger hitbox vs jumping opponents than it does vs ground opponents. It does have a slow startup. Flamethrower also is severely punishable if blocked up close. It's also easy to knock sektor out of the flamethrower on startup. The best thing to do is to dash block in and apply pressure up close.

I can't tell you how many people online will keep trying to jump forward on me after I get them with the flamethrower. I literally flamethrowered a guy 5 times in a row last night. Haha.

Flame Burner can be punished on block by fast advancing specials (Elbow Dash, Shadow Kick, Super Man...). If your character doesn't have one, then dash-block in during the recovery time. Up close, you shouldn't have to worry about b1 or Flame Burner. If you're paying attention you should be able to stuff and punish both.