What's new

ask reptile thread

Dedemaru

Noob
Does anyone know if the Prima guide has any viable combos in the Reptile section?

Also, can anyone provide me with some practical uses for Reptilian Hand? Is it useless in real combat?

Are there any pros and cons to Reptile's sweep? It's much different from anyone else's in the game and I'm curious if it's better or worse than the rest?

Milk

Snake eyes
Does anyone know if the Prima guide has any viable combos in the Reptile section?

Also, can anyone provide me with some practical uses for Reptilian Hand? Is it useless in real combat?

Are there any pros and cons to Reptile's sweep? It's much different from anyone else's in the game and I'm curious if it's better or worse than the rest?
QCB 2? No it's amazing. It can work some magic in the corner, or mid combo mid screen, also comes out very fast, and can get someone off of you, you can elbow dash to get on them, and work some magic. His sweep, is also INCREDIBLY amazing. It's decieving, with it's slower start up, but since it makes you go low to the ground, it's kind of hard to tag when he's doing it. I do it ALL the time, no joke. Someone will attack high, and if I don't have enough time to get a full punish combo, I'll just punish with a sweep, and either invis or elbow dash to get on them.

On the guide, dunno on the combos. You'd be better off just looking here.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The sweep has the advantage of being a low crush/tech crouch move that hits low...LOL! It is the most trolltastic move in the game.

Milk

Snake eyes
The sweep has the advantage of being a low crush/tech crouch move that hits low...LOL! It is the most trolltastic move in the game.
Truly. I troll my friend's Sektor with it all the time. Was I seeing this, or did it go under missiles?

No, you likely did not imagine it. I've seen Reptile's sweep go under all sorts of things. :D

It also goes over most other low attacks, which makes it that much more awesome; i.e., it gets priority over another character sweeping or poking.

Milk

Snake eyes
No, you likely did not imagine it. I've seen Reptile's sweep go under all sorts of things. :D

It also goes over most other low attacks, which makes it that much more awesome; i.e., it gets priority over another character sweeping or poking.
I am gonna' use it so much tomorrow.

Ok got a boatload of questions...

What's the best way to know about hit confirming? I find myself figuring out to slow and mess up the special.

How do you guys go about fighting, Lol. Do you look for an opening when the opponent is not blocking to go for a string? Or do you rush/pressure when they're blocking as well? Basically how to execute move properly.

How does the triple dash work? I can't manage to do it! It looks cool though.

In Jump Punch, 2, Fast Force Ball, Neutral Jump Punch, 3,2, Slow Force Ball, 3,2,1, Slime Trail, is the NJP worth it and in general how do you 'time' or pull of a NJP without missing it in any situation mid combo? I get it quite often, but not consistent enough.

During corner combos such as 321~slow force ball, 321~fast force ball, 321 ~slide

The string 321, ends up knocking my opponent out of the corner and behind me, specifically the second string of 321,the overhead pushes them out of the corner. What am I doing wrong?

What's a 'buffer'.

THTB

1. For hitconfirming, it's kinda hard to describe, but it's really just getting used to reacting to when everything hits. That's about as well as I can describe it.

2. When you use 321, it's all a hitconfirm, with good results on both sides. If it's blocked, it's safe meter gain for you and chip damage as well. If it hits, it's 45% if you hitconfirm to dash whiff.

3. Triple dash is really just dashing back to back. It's not difficult to do per se, just requires finding the earliest point where you can move again.

4. That particular combo isn't really the best, since you can't hit confirm off of it. But if you do use it, yes, the NJP is worth it since the damage is upped enough to want to use it. For the timing on it, it's all in practicing how early you can NJP. To make it easier, you can input 1~2 or 2~1 to make it easier to get the NJP out. It's all just practice, though.

5. With the corner combos, you have to let them drop a little or take a step back, otherwise that happens.

6. Buffer = inputting a special before the normal/string ends, as though it's one fluid command.

Cool thank you.

And for the dash, I was referring to

I've watched a lot of footage for Reptile trying to learn, and I've seen nearly everyones generic BnB string be 321 as opposed to the 122 xx or 1221.

Is it because 321 is 'safer' don't exactly know what that means, and since you can cancel out of any of the hits?

I've watched your play @ PU like 4 times, and I swear I didn't see you use 122 quite often. It was more 321 xx Acid Hand or 321 Whiff NJP combo. All the videos I watched hardly anyone did 122 BnB combos. :).

Thanks for the answers! More practicing, still fail at the NJP combo though >.<.

notjuice

Skerptor And Shuan Tsi
the real reason people use the 321 elbow whiff combo is because of two reasons: number one, the elbow whiff nj1/2 combo does atleast 45% without any meter whatsoever. this can be increased to 50% or even 55% (though i go for 54%, i find that on the final hit, the x-ray very finnickally hits. it will ALWAYS hit on the 2 in the 321, so i go for 32 x-ray for 1% less damage but a confirmable hit).

the 122 forceball combo does 33/34% damage. it is, however, extremely easy. my friends might be a bit newbish, but you could talk to them about me hitting 34%'s back to back, with input lag, never dropping them. its because that combo is just so easy to get down, it'll only take a couple hours to gain muscle memory of it, and then perhaps another 4 hours of using it to practically never drop it even with input lag. as far as variants, i tend never to use the 122 opener.

a big part of my game is pressuring with fast forceballs in many places or occasionally a slowball vs a jump in. once they are hit with this, i immediately go into 32 forceball, 321 slide. the fact that you can do this combo on nearly any juggle makes it a strong combo, but not as a combo you start with a string. as reptile, you should be essentially grabbing anyone from the air and continuing that combo. when people become more timid about playing an air game vs your forceball spam / acid spit zoning, thats when you use the much better starter 321 as not only does it build meter alot more efficiently than 122, but it also has a great deal of range to it. its also somewhat delayed on screen. i can't tell you how many times people catch the 3, but neglect to block either the 2 or the 1 because it comes out so late.

so, to put my reasons more concisely: #1, the elbow whiff does far more damage, in excess of 11-12%. #2 the 122 simply isn't a good ground string. it is perhaps ideal if someone is crouch blocking you, but i have no idea why someone would do that when all of his useful combo strings are mid-high. the 321 has more power, more range, has a "delay" to the animation of it, and finally it simply gains alot of meter.

as far as njp goes, i am someone who just mastered it last night thankfully. i found the sweetspot where i press punch after jumping in the whiff. all i can tell you is figure out one of two methods: do some plinking, ie go from 2~1 on the pad or stick so that its more likely what you want comes out. otherwise, i would strongly recommend just hitting the practice room for a few days. give yourself maybe like 2 hours to just practice this string: 321 elbowdash, nj1/2. if you hit it, let the cpu fall and start it again. keep doing this just over and over. eventually, what will happen is that first of all the combo itself will become a matter of just letting your fingers press the buttons. you dont have to think about it. this gives you space to react to when you should hit your punch on the jump. good luck!

my xbl gamertag is notjuice and i am very willing to do practice online matches to get input lagged combos down, to teach certain fundamentals of reptile that i've found and garnered from brady's guide and thtb, or otherwise to learn certain matchups.

my xbl gamertag is notjuice and i'm from texas if this matters for online reasons

Milk

Snake eyes
Ok got a boatload of questions...

What's the best way to know about hit confirming? I find myself figuring out to slow and mess up the special.
Basically what THTB said.

How do you guys go about fighting, Lol. Do you look for an opening when the opponent is not blocking to go for a string? Or do you rush/pressure when they're blocking as well? Basically how to execute move properly.
Looking for an opening. And knowing how to open them up. Pressuring comes with finding an opening.

How does the triple dash work? I can't manage to do it! It looks cool though.
Timing. Just dashing one after another.

In Jump Punch, 2, Fast Force Ball, Neutral Jump Punch, 3,2, Slow Force Ball, 3,2,1, Slime Trail, is the NJP worth it and in general how do you 'time' or pull of a NJP without missing it in any situation mid combo? I get it quite often, but not consistent enough.
NJP is completely and totally worth it. I think you're forgetting the elbow dash whiff. 3 2 1 elbow dash whiff njp slow fb 3 2 fast fb 3 2 1 then do another elbow dash whiff to get on them. You lose a bit of percent, but you have positional advantage. I usually end this with ex invis. Pretty safe.

During corner combos such as 321~slow force ball, 321~fast force ball, 321 ~slide

The string 321, ends up knocking my opponent out of the corner and behind me, specifically the second string of 321,the overhead pushes them out of the corner. What am I doing wrong?
You need to walk backwards or hit them with a njp out of the 3 2 1 elbow dash whiff. Reptile's corner combos feel a lot different. Just do 3 2 1 elbow dash whiff njp f2 b1 and just keep doing that.

What's a 'buffer'.
Inputting the motion for an attack during other attacks. Such as
3 2 then you hit back to buffer the first hit of the elbow dash
Then you hit 1 to finish off the string
Then hit f 2 in quick succession to buffer the elbow dash.
Answers are in bold.

Darkhood88

Crazy 88 Co-Leader
I have a question about his 321 elbow dash njp2 32 slowball 32 fastball 321 slide BnB combo. I am having trouble connecting the 32 slowball 32 fastball part of the combo. I have tried dashing and not dashing after the njp. I have tried hitting him at different falling heights and I just can't seem to get it. Thanks

Milk

Snake eyes
I have a question about his 321 elbow dash njp2 32 slowball 32 fastball 321 slide BnB combo. I am having trouble connecting the 32 slowball 32 fastball part of the combo. I have tried dashing and not dashing after the njp. I have tried hitting him at different falling heights and I just can't seem to get it. Thanks
You're not supposed to do a 3 2 slow forceball. Just slow forceball after the njp. At least that's what i do, and i hit it every time. Instead of ending it with slide though, end it with another elbow dash whiff. Gets you on them quicker, and I'm uploading a video of being able to do ex invis after that elbow dash. Much better options.

About 1:13 you can see it in action. You don't necessarily do ex invis after it, but, that's what I do, considering the only thing I use my meter for is ex dash and this.

Darkhood88

Crazy 88 Co-Leader
You're not supposed to do a 3 2 slow forceball. Just slow forceball after the njp. At least that's what i do, and i hit it every time. Instead of ending it with slide though, end it with another elbow dash whiff. Gets you on them quicker, and I'm uploading a video of being able to do ex invis after that elbow dash. Much better options.
LMFAO! I read that combo wrong. I was crossing up 2 combos. Thanks I will give this a try in a bit here. I was trying for hours, but I got really good at timing that njp.

Milk

Snake eyes
LMFAO! I read that combo wrong. I was crossing up 2 combos. Thanks I will give this a try in a bit here. I was trying for hours, but I got really good at timing that njp.
Haha, no problem man. As long as you get it now, you should be good. Do you have the timing down for the elbow dash whiff?

Darkhood88

Crazy 88 Co-Leader
Haha, no problem man. As long as you get it now, you should be good. Do you have the timing down for the elbow dash whiff?
Yea the elbow dash whiff was simple for me to get down, Subby had a similar combo in MKDC that was 234-slide that has the same timing as Reptiles 321-elbowdash. The part that gave me the most trouble was timing the njp after the dash. I think you gave the advice of holding up after the dash, and that helped tremendously.

Milk

Snake eyes
Yea the elbow dash whiff was simple for me to get down, Subby had a similar combo in MKDC that was 234-slide that has the same timing as Reptiles 321-elbowdash. The part that gave me the most trouble was timing the njp after the dash. I think you gave the advice of holding up after the dash, and that helped tremendously.
It's all just practice. The methods to do it either involve visual cues, audio cues, or buffering the jump after the dash, all work. But buffering the jump isn't bad, making sure that punch comes out too is another thing. I whiff the punch more than the jump.

GhosT

Noob
Hey milk Good stuff with those NJP Not only the one for the whif dash combo but also just catching them with it as AA.. Thanks to Thtb and yourself my NJP combos are improving but i still have some work to do to get where i want to be. (which is landing it any time i get a clean 321 off.)

Milk

Snake eyes
Hey milk Good stuff with those NJP Not only the one for the whif dash combo but also just catching them with it as AA.. Thanks to Thtb and yourself my NJP combos are improving but i still have some work to do to get where i want to be. (which is landing it any time i get a clean 321 off.)
Just takes practice man. Gotta' get good at reads and it should come naturally.

For the elbow dash "whif" is there a way to cancel the dash or is it simply an elbow dash that doesn't connect?

I see a lot of kombos posted around the internet that indicate cancelling (xx), could someone explain what is meant by this? (I am rather far removed from the kompetitive scene, but I would like to improve an awful lot. Having played MK for nearly 20 years, I feel like I should be a lot better.)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Canceling is almost called 2 in 1.

Basically there are normal moves, and special moves, you can see the difference in the character's move list.

Part way through a normal move you can "cancel" it by doing a special move. So for instance if you were to hit someone with BP, then try to acid spit them it wouldn't hit them, but if you pressed BP then quickly input the acid spit, you would cancel the animation of the BP, and go directly into the acid spit so it combos.

As far as the elbow dash, you don't cancel it or anything, it just recovers instantly when if doesn't hit the opponent.

THTB

If a move cannot be punished by the fastest moves in the game (Reptile elbow dash, Raiden superman, KL spin), it is 100% safe.

Tech throw refers to escaping a throw.