What's new

Tech Ares reset!

4x4lo8o

Noob
so how do u get out of this reset?
... You wake up or tech roll.
Tech roll by itself doesn't work. You'd have to tech roll and wake up or tech roll and backdash. It might actually be able to stuff a tech roll backdash.

If the Ares times the GS poorly you can back dash or jump. If he does a mid GS instead of a far you can tech roll

It would eat it, you have to slightly adjust the timing. Same with his regular resets, if you read a wake-up attack, slightly delay it so the MB armor eats it. Works wonderfully, can be backdashed though, but if you read a backdash, do normal timing and you will catch them. It really comes down to conditioning.
The problem against Black Adam is that invincibility frames on Lightning Cage are so long that the guessing game doesn't exist. You have to delay the GS so much that he can fairly easily see that you aren't going to hit him as he gets up and on reaction can just jump and punish the delayed GS. Any character can actually do this if the person if they know the timing well enough and are watching, but with Black Adam the timing difference is dramatic enough that most people can do it.

I actually think this reset is pretty solid though. After the b23 reset got nerfed people were trying a bunch of different set ups, but most of them weren't even as good as the post nerf b23 reset. This one's tight enough that you can't jump or backdash, it catches tech rollers(it may even allow you to catch to stuff people trying to tech roll and backdash, I haven't messed with it enough to see), and it's at the end of a normal combo so it's not telegraphed or obvious something's coming. The fact that it can apparently swap inputs on wake up makes it even better. I almost always forgo the resets for more guaranteed damage and other set ups, but I'll definitely be experimenting with this one and expect to catch some people with it.

I'd like to say based on my experience playing locally that resets in general are a pretty risky idea and only work as a surprise(usually eliciting a 'hey, haven't seen that one in awhile' kind of reaction, and getting blown up if you try it again that day), but at Evo I saw an Ares player make it out of pools using the old b23, MB GS set up every single time he landed a combo. Also had a local Tekken player who still plays a week 2 Ares(he stopped playing the game outside of tournament) make it to losers finals of his pool using the reset constantly. I'm not sure if that says something about the quality of the reset or the quality of the competition in pools at Evo.

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
welcome to our confusing world, hell im confused by half of the SF terms since i come from here.

yes but "sf" terms are interchangable with all other fighting games. idk why mk has to be different and change what everything means. a reset ins't supposed to be guaranteed. its supposed to sacrifice guaranteed damage for potential damage.

a gimmick is something that is unreliable, has a hard answer to and relies on matchup or general game mechanic ignorance. a gimmick is something like those goofy ass boxish airdash crossups. they can easily be blown up. the character model turns around in the air if they cross up so it should be really obvious which way you're supposed to block. not only that if you have any way of controlling space in the air you can hit them out of it, or even dash under it. but for some reason, people still get hit by it.

redeyes

Button Masher
yes but "sf" terms are interchangable with all other fighting games. idk why mk has to be different and change what everything means. a reset ins't supposed to be guaranteed. its supposed to sacrifice guaranteed damage for potential damage.

a gimmick is something that is unreliable, has a hard answer to and relies on matchup or general game mechanic ignorance. a gimmick is something like those goofy ass boxish airdash crossups. they can easily be blown up. the character model turns around in the air if they cross up so it should be really obvious which way you're supposed to block. not only that if you have any way of controlling space in the air you can hit them out of it, or even dash under it. but for some reason, people still get hit by it.

but wouldnt that apply to this?
the hard answer is wake up. yeah it can cross you up, but thats something you need to make a read on to input it backwards.
sure this better vs people with shit wake ups (batman,raven,etc) the hard answer would be the wake up sure some people will get hit by it you cant be right 100% of the time in FGs

RM Jonnitti

Hot Dog
but wouldnt that apply to this?
the hard answer is wake up. yeah it can cross you up, but thats something you need to make a read on to input it backwards.
sure this better vs people with shit wake ups (batman,raven,etc) the hard answer would be the wake up sure some people will get hit by it you cant be right 100% of the time in FGs

you wouldn't use this setup on characters that have a hard answer to it. that would just make it character specific

redeyes

Button Masher
you wouldn't use this setup on characters that have a hard answer to it. that would just make it character specific

so then wtf is it? a gimick on some a reset on others? im so damn confused -_- i hate fighting games sometimes.

Uotan

Unban Joker
Guys, this is not guaranteed at all. It's a strong option, yes, but it can be avoided or in some instances punished, plain and simple.
This perfectly describes the old Ares reset, that everyone called a reset. Yet now it's not a reset? lol

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
I dont understand the old reset was punishable via wake this one is too.
Wakeups were glitched before 1.04. You couldn't get a wakeup out until around 3 frames later. There were a lot of OTG threads exploiting this situation when Ares true reset was gone with the B23 nerf.

Breakin Wordzz

Best Rengar NA, also ares of world
What is the point of putting this new reset gimmick set up what ever you want to call it, in with an old reset that doesn't really work anymore? Now not many people are going to see it because they have already see the b23 reset and they wont go pages deep to see the new one. The only reason people even checked out the new reset is because its new. I dont understand this.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
What is the point of putting this new reset gimmick set up what ever you want to call it, in with an old reset that doesn't really work anymore? Now not many people are going to see it because they have already see the b23 reset and they wont go pages deep to see the new one. The only reason people even checked out the new reset is because its new. I dont understand this.

was just a thread clean up id say,
AK Juggs runs a clean ship in the ares forum and i like that.

but to be fair the new reset/setup is just as escapable as the old b23 one,
personally i prefer the mind games of using b23 to set things up rather than the sword ender setup, more options for me to mess with.

Breakin Wordzz

was just a thread clean up id say,
@juggs runs a clean ship in the ares forum and i like that.

but to be fair the new reset/setup is just as escapable as the old b23 one,
personally i prefer the mind games of using b23 to set things up rather than the sword ender setup, more options for me to mess with.
This thread is dead nobody goes on this thread. Why not just take this thread out? Put it in the netherrealm.

Breakin Wordzz

how it is dead? it has plenty of recent posts.
is shouldnt be taken out, plenty of info in the thread
NOPE last post before swizzer's thread was moved was may 26th the new ares reset me and swizzer did was july 21st that's almost a two month gap NOBODY posted on this thread man.
Plenty of info? Do you play ares man? this b23 got nerfed the video of twitch is impracticable.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
NOPE last post before swizzer's thread was moved was may 26th the new ares reset me and swizzer did was july 21st that's almost a two month gap NOBODY posted on this thread man.
Plenty of info? Do you play ares man? this b23 got nerfed the video of twitch is impracticable.

yes i play ares.
there is info for people who dont play ares on how to escape this setups, so no need for the caps lock or projecting your annoyance at threads being merged at me good sir.