What's new

Guide Ares combo thread

There has never been a time when *both* the very rare instances of a) landing a 3d2 and b) having no meter has occured. If it did I'd probably still do the combo but just do regular far GS to carry them towards the wall, then do a wake-up mixup into a real combo now that I have meter
All I can say is check your premises. I don't understand why you're so negative.

Lol "a real combo"

4x4lo8o

Noob
3/D4-JI1-F2,3/Dark Energy (30%) does not work against:
Flash, Dick&Damian,Green Arrow, Cyborg, Catwoman, Killer Frost, Grundy, Bane, Doomsday, and Lex Luthor

This combo has flaws against anyone not a mid hitbox character, so you're resorted to do this instead:
3/D4-JI1-B1,3-27%
Sadly, the bigs can avoid this too and for these characters there's no point trying to mix up against these characters when you can't do enough damage in the first place.
I was thinking about this today, and wanted to revisit this.

The whole point of the 3~d4 is the 50/50 between the d2 overhead and d4 low. So while it's a shame that the 3~d4 combo aren't any good, it doesn't really matter.

The key is to be using it at time when they've blocked the 3 and are expecting overhead followup(because you've been using it all match and it leads to bigger damage). So in this case they block the 3, get hit by the d4 and you can follow up with a ji2, b23 combo for around 30%.

I'm not completely sure if it's possible, but ideally you want to be using this off of a ji2 where you can hit confirm whether or not the jump in hit and decide whether to use the d2 or d4 from there.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink

The whole point of the 3~d4 is the 50/50 between the d2 overhead and d4 low. So while it's a shame that the 3~d4 combo aren't any good, it doesn't really matter.

The key is to be using it at time when they've blocked the 3 and are expecting overhead followup(because you've been using it all match and it leads to bigger damage). So in this case they block the 3, get hit by the d4 and you can follow up with a ji2, b23 combo for around 30%.

I'm not completely sure if it's possible, but ideally you want to be using this off of a ji2 where you can hit confirm whether or not the jump in hit and decide whether to use the d2 or d4 from there.
Slips was talking about this on the ufgt stream.

sttacos

Noob

I have found success using a similar mix up with d1/d4 and b2/d4.
Once you have conditioned your opponent to expect the d1, u can mix it with the b2 for a sword combo

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I have found success using a similar mix up with d1/d4 and b2/d4.
Once you have conditioned your opponent to expect the d1, u can mix it with the b2 for a sword combo
Yes, this is what I do and seems much more practical than wasting a sword on 3d4 which doesn't lead anywhere

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Yes, this is what I do and seems much more practical than wasting a sword on 3d4 which doesn't lead anywhere
Leads to nothing? They either block the low and get +40%combo with 3d2 or you can go for sword wich maybe leads to small damage but they are full screen again and you have free teleport/invincibility + reset options...

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Leads to nothing? They either block the low and get +40%combo with 3d2 or you can go for sword wich maybe leads to small damage but they are full screen again and you have free teleport/invincibility + reset options...
I'd rather still do 3d2 and if they know to block that correctly then the next time do 3d2 cancelled into close mb gs instead of wasting a sword for little damage.

Chakk dizzle

That's baaaaane
Ares Midscreen 51% with 1 Bar:

Good corner carry and high damage, I recommend doing a normal Godsmack at the end though, just to keep them at full-screen. Don't know if this was known already, just wanted to show it.

Nice. Man if 3 was a little faster that alone would be such a big buff imo.

InFlames

dead
we really need damaging non-3d2 combos :(
He has a 112~D4 starter that does 41% on everyone and a 43% high-hit box only combo with no meter. B3 starter combos also do good damage(39-41%) but landing a naked B3 is near impossible. Also, if you are near a bounce interactable you can get 50% midscreen with no meter off a J3. I can record these if you guys want.

By the way, if you're having trouble landing a J2, end any combo with D3 and cross-up. When they start blocking it mix it up with F3 or NJ2.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
He has a 111~D4 starter that does 41% on everyone and a 43% high-hit box only combo with no meter. B3 starter combos also do good damage(39-41%) but landing a naked B3 is near impossible. Also, if you are near a bounce interactable you can get 50% midscreen with no meter off a J3. I can record these if you guys want.

By the way, if you're having trouble landing a J2, end any combo with D3 and cross-up. When they start blocking it mix it up with F3 or NJ2.
112, b3, and j3 just aren't very practical starters. It's got to be d1, 22, b1, or (blocked)3...

I was doing the j2 after a d3 combo ender for a while, but it just seems like it's too easy to block the cross-up or blow it up with a wake-up attack. Hit box is definitely not like batman's j2...

4x4lo8o

Noob
He has a 111~D4 starter that does 41% on everyone and a 43% high-hit box only combo with no meter. B3 starter combos also do good damage(39-41%) but landing a naked B3 is near impossible. Also, if you are near a bounce interactable you can get 50% midscreen with no meter off a J3. I can record these if you guys want.

That video you posted was really good, I've been using that first one.

If you could post those that be great, either a video or just the notation for the combos

InFlames

dead
That video you posted was really good, I've been using that first one.

If you could post those that be great, either a video or just the notation for the combos
J2,1,1,2,d4-J2-B2,3-1,1,2~Dark Energy = 41%

J2,1,1,2,d4-j2-b2,3-1-f1,2 = 39% with hard knockdown

b3-j3-b2,3-3,d4-j3-b1,3 = 43%

I'm sure the first 2 combos do more than 30% with a d1 starter. I'll update the exact damage afterwards.

In the b3 starter combo, you have to hit b2,3 at a low height so you're 3 will hit backwards. This will make the d4 launch them closer to you to hit j3-b1,3. I'm sure it can be done on all characters. If you can't hit it just do a j2 instead for 41%.

UPDATE:

41% does 30% with d1 starter.

39% does 28% with d1 starter.