What's new

General/Other Ares Buffs thread - Balanced & Practical Changes

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Yeah but you are never going to land 112 in a match except for a few specific block punishes (like doomsday's normal shoulder charge), and are never going to land 3d2 except for either a lucky unstuffed jump-in or not-blocked-correctly wake-up, so the vast majority of the time your combos are going to start with d1d4, b1d4, or 22d4, so you have to go into the reset options
I dont agree with never landing the 3d2. Im trying to use this string more, especially after slips was talking about it on stream. You can do 3d4, you cant hit them with a ji1 or ji2 after the sword launch, but i think 16bit said if they try to jump out, u will connect the jump in.
So with 3d2 and 3d4, you can also mix it up with 3MBGS.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
I dont agree with never landing the 3d2. Im trying to use this string more, especially after slips was talking about it on stream. You can do 3d4, you cant hit them with a ji1 or ji2 after the sword launch, but i think 16bit said if they try to jump out, u will connect the jump in.
So with 3d2 and 3d4, you can also mix it up with 3MBGS.
What did slips say on stream? I'm always looking to land 3d2 more too, just haven't found too many good setups for it that work more than once.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
I dont see what the problem is other then his lack of wake up options and AA game which like 3/4 of the cast have problems with.I just picked em up and hes looks solid to me.

Mosp

Noob
I dont see what the problem is other then his lack of wake up options and AA game which like 3/4 of the cast have problems with.I just picked em up and hes looks solid to me.
It's easy to look at a char in training mode and say that they're good but play against somebody who knows the matchup and you'll start agreeing with a lot of these buffs.

Ermaculate_Slim

We are Many but we didnt make MK11 not one
It's easy to look at a char in training mode and say that they're good but play against somebody who knows the matchup and you'll start agreeing with a lot of these buffs.

Well, you've been maining him since day 1,so it's not my place to disagree with anything.That one of my peeves actually where someone who doesnt main your character tells you what he/she needs or doesn't. But I'll keep playing em maybe his issue will become more apparent the more I use em.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
What did slips say on stream? I'm always looking to land 3d2 more too, just haven't found too many good setups for it that work more than once.
slips was talking about the use of 3 for mixups like i mentioned in my post.
options: -3D2 MBGS
-3D2 D4
-3D4
-3D2 U4
-3MBGS

etc.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I think his wake up problem is mostly solved with the recent patch. He still doesn't have a real good 'get off me' kind of wake up and his wake up game is pretty unsafe, but almost all of the cast has some problems with wake ups. He might actually be above average on wake up now, but you have to play it smart. Corner pressure can be a big risk for the opponent, wake up teleport can blow them up for 40-50%. But it can also be baited so it works both ways.

Aa is a big problem I think. Certain characters can just cross you up all day and it can be really difficult to get out. The combination of lack of aa combined with his bad dashes is just really painful and frustrating to deal with sometimes. Blocking ambiguous cross ups and mix ups that follow gets really tedious and isn't the way you want to play a match. Especially when Ares himself is a character that sometimes relies on jump ins to open the opponent up, it really rubs it in when you run into characters who just don't have to worry about jump ins at all.
I know lots of characters do have problems with AA, but I think Ares might be the worst in the game. I could be wrong, but I can't think of anybody else who is as vulnerable as Ares. I guess the one thing he does have in this regards is pretty solid options on opponents jumping around full screen and between his trait and his j1 he does alright if you read a jump in from most characters. I guess aa'ing on reaction is where he really suffers.

I'm curious where you see Ares on the tier list and which buffs specifically you'd like to see him get.

I think you're kind of considered one of the preeminent Ares players who are posting here, because you were somewhat well known in the MK9 community and you performance at that first WNF was a lot people's first look at Ares.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Haha, has he been at them? Sorry, I haven't seen all of them. That's just the one I know of that had all the hype.
I actually meant to ask if he was at Vindication. I was hoping to run into him there, but didn't see him

I think some absolute necessary buffs Ares needs to make him a fairer character are:

1. A faster backdash
2. A faster teleport

These two buffs alone would make him much more fair. Ares's current backdash doesn't make too much sense. It covers very little ground and makes it too difficult for him to space himself and get out of sticky situations. It would make him a more effective zoner without making him overpowered. Even with his current teleport, it's a little too hard to punish projectiles on a read. His teleport should be faster so that he can keep his opponent guessing and make his opponent think when to throw a projectile out there. He needs to be able to punish a projectile well on a read, but it shouldn't be too easy for him, which is why I think it should only be made slightly better.

Other things that I haven't given much thought to that Ares could use are:

1. Slightly faster strings
2. D1 into D4 shouldn't be interruptable
3. Slightly less cooldown on his trait
4. Slightly better wakeup options

I use the term "slightly" for a reason. Numbers one and two shouldn't be too fast because that could make Ares a bit too overpowered. If done carefully, I think Ares could be a very balanced character, an effective zoner, and have better options to deal with higher tier characters.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Thats abit asking too much...why does every character needs to be S-tier? A faster teleport would make him too good.
His trait is fine. Faster strings? Damn...
Better wake-up? He already got a buff for that...come on dont let aresplayers look bad. Look how deadly he can be when played properly...

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Like I said before, he just needs his corner game fixed up and he'll be really good...pending other characters...

The Gabriel

Mean Man
Thats abit asking too much...why does every character needs to be S-tier? A faster teleport would make him too good.
His trait is fine. Faster strings? Damn...
Better wake-up? He already got a buff for that...come on dont let aresplayers look bad. Look how deadly he can be when played properly...
Agree with most of this...also d1d4 is insanely good and it would be ridiculous to buff it...opponents should be able to interrupt it.

Better wake-up I agree in a sense...the buff he got for that is really situational and not that good...half the time you still want to wake up with god smack even though it's start-up can get stuffed.

Having said that, it's really not his wake-up itself, but a combination of subpar wake-up, terrible (non-existent) anti-air, *and* terrible backdash that is the problem. Having just one (or even two) of those things would be fine, but having all three is a big problem, especially in the corner like Infra Dead said.

In regards to the teleport I think we have to live with the fact that basically it's completely useless outside of getting next to the opponent on a knockdown to set up your wake-up mix-up, and avoiding a select-few slow-moving specials (Bane's charge, etc).

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
In regards to the teleport I think we have to live with the fact that basically it's completely useless outside of getting next to the opponent on a knockdown to set up your wake-up mix-up, and avoiding a select-few slow-moving specials (Bane's charge, etc).
So basically its not completely useless? Anyway, teleport is not only good for that, but when used when invisible it makes teleport even better. Don't just throw random teleports out when not invisible, cause you gonna get punished hard for it.

The Gabriel

Mean Man
So basically its not completely useless? Anyway, teleport is not only good for that, but when used when invisible it makes teleport even better. Don't just throw random teleports out when not invisible, cause you gonna get punished hard for it.
Completely useless in terms of what you would expect a teleport to be used to do ie escape projectiles, cross up opponent, punish bad decisions etc. in Ares case the teleport is basically a (bad) cover for his horrible mobility

Only thing i currently want buffed is the axe(and i'm not sure we've found everything yet.)

UP sword gives niffty resets, down sword gives combo's, and forward sword is an ok projectile.

Forward axe is a great full screen aa....and that's about it for axe. Up axe seems to have mostly no use, and down axe rarely nets much more than 20%. That said i think there's still more to discover, so i'd rather not see any nerfs or buffs for him yet.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Okay. Here's what I mean when I say fix up his corner game...

and...

These vids are unlisted and this is the only place you will find them.

colt

P.S...sorry for the video quality...this is the best I can do.

DuskAlloy

You don't got the cash, You don't get the ass
Ares needs to be nerfed... he gets his power off of hate and confrontation, and the salt the recent patches and dlc have made will make him far too powerful