What's new

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

Are you enjoyin the current meta?

• Total voters

Snoop88

Noob
I quite enjoy the current meta but I have strange feeling that something is missing here. Like the game is limited, characters could have more moves or something. The game is fresh and I might not be used to these changes yet. Interesting it will be to see where the game will go, how it will develop and let's hope it will get only better.

grandabx

The Flameater
I agree.

NRS's character labels (i.e., "premier zoning character") make no sense, which is one of the reasons why I now support customizable variations, and I used to be a hardcore advocate for tournament variations. I think we as players should be in charge of how we decide we want to play a character, not NRS. Besides, some of these preset variations are comically bad. They have no cohesion whatsoever. Just a bunch of random moves mashed together.
I know Smash isn't a fighter, but look at Melee:

1. Never had a balance patch ever.

3. Is played on ancient televisions/consoles.

3. It's community didn't care what Nintendo called it and created their own environment.

It's has the most dedicated community out all the games in the FCG.

People really don't understand how much power they have as consumers. These companies go where the consumer goes. Period. Smash is played on the community's terms. People are relinquishing their power for the illusion of winning on NRS' terms. No consumer, no income. Why would anyone purchase a $60+ game and allow themselves to be told how to have fun? I mean, look at all the fighting games that are out right now. What percentage of players are making any worthwhile money? A lot of these esports teams for fighters are constantly falling apart. People are switching teams faster than a stick-shift does gears no matter how talented they are. Esports for the FGC is nothing but an illusion (did you see that E-league MK11 online special on wednesday?). Where's people's integrity at? It's the old carrot on a string being played out now.

The FGC will still be here when those people with the big pockets finally realize fighting games aren't a casual activity and move on. Why sacrifice the game for a dream?

Esports and high-caliber tournaments have done nothing, but cause the quality of fighters to diminish.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
I honestly love the current meta but I would love custom variations to be the way to go.
Other than that I like the pacing of the matches, the mechanics are gold IMO (except some fatal blows... (Erron, Cetrion, Kabal, etc...))

Coming back from Tekken, I really miss a way to (somewhat) safely disengage from close combat (i.e. KBD). I feel like certain matches devolve into frame-trading up close until someone is not able to tech a throw, then back to a very short period of neutral then locked in to frame-trading again. Like, I know this is the epitome of fighting game mechanics, but I really don't like that the illusion of something other than rock-paper-scissor is kind of thin. Really miss the Tekken-style ebb and flow of neutral play in that sense. But in general, great game and I'm sticking to it!

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
The fact that two players can say the exact opposite things tells me that NRS did something right with the air escapes.
Except the other guy is wrong. If you don't use the appropiate combo and do a move that is 2 years on whiff of course you can get punished. If you adapt the combos you will always be at advantage when the opponent breakaways.

Breaker was a much better defensive mechanic since it reseted neutral distance no matter what. Not to mention that it can also be used when getting hit by grounded combos, and thus not giving the characters that rely on those any kind of advantage over juggle characters.

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
Scorpion both normal and amp teleport need to be -20 on block and we are good to go!

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
I feel like the top of the game (Erron/Gearas/whatever) are actually finished and then maybe a little too good. Their movelists make sense and they have a couple of viable ways to play the game.

It feels like everyone else just isn't. Even other contenders for at least decent, like noob, look fucking dumb when you consider that supposedly BOTH varaitions are supposed to be playable.

The meta looks ok if you don't break out variations, but if you made each one a separate character its a dumpster fire. The core game is there, but I hope they have a hell of a lot of polish planned in patches because it doesn't feel done.
I've said this same thing so many times in various threads.

They've had until the end of April to release the game in a playable state so they put more effort into the more popular characters such as Erron or those who were more important in the story such as Geras. The remainder - among them my Jade, for example - suffer from the limitations of time constraints and being undercut rather than overperforming for the sole reason that it's less of a clusterfuck to fix that at the end of the day.

The Jade community is in disarray arguing left and right when everyone knows she's not great currently, I even got personal attacks for calling out her problems, despite the clear-as-day discrepancies which infest her gameplay currently. Her strings are all hella negative, her safe strings are trash and lead to nothing, her specials are all full combo punishable on block and her zoning is nothing compelling while her Glow is -40 on activation which means Liu can just wavedash in and blow her up after outzoning her. All because the game, in its current state, still needs work.

At the end of the day being able to d1 someone right back on hit is annoying and extending the hit advantage and the overall hit frames would help the game's pace and stop machinegun d1 from being a thing. I think we'd all benefit from that.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Strings being minus doesn't matter as much in this game because a lot of characters don't have incredibly good mid strings.
The better characters in the game have good mid strings, though. You don't have to look too far up the tier list to see them. Characters like Baraka, Kabal, and Liu Kang have safe and hit-confirmable mid strings. The characters who don't such as Kano, Kotal Kahn, and D'Vorah are the ones people are placing low on their tier lists.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
This is, competitively, the best Mortal Kombat ever made. The flow of the gameplay is great, with a good balance between going ham and being patient. Lots of walking and waiting/being patient followed my moments of intense action.

Right now there are only two things I would change:
1) Having no resource management around Fatal Blows is a bit silly. This thing that you get for free, that does a pile of unbreakable damage and can help some people achieve near-40% unbreakable combos, but you don’t have to save any meter to use, and if you whiff it, you just get it again. Some of them hit at footsie range or beyond. Imo the current state of the fatal blow goes again much of what the meta stands for, which is think, wait your turn, consider the tradeoffs of everything, earn your damage.

2) I like the idea of krushing blows — and most of them are fine. But I think that several of them should be tuned to reward knowledge rather than sheer luck. For example, Sonya doing a third of your lifebar if you make a read on her ring and block/jump the the first one but are hit by the second doesn’t seem to reward any sort of skill. Nor making a wrong read a couple times on Erron diving in with his mixup from half screen. Other than that though, it’s a neat mechanic and I appreciate the ones that you have to work for. D2 is neat since everyone has access to it.

Aside from this, this game is exposing:
1) The people who’ve been spoiled by overtuned zoning. You mean you might have to think when you toss out a projectile, rather than mindlessly tossing things out and meter burning them for mixups on block? You might have to actually play footsies while you zone, like Street Fighter? Hmm.. Welcome back to thinking again in MK11 :)

2) People who are used to having shortcuts around dealing with neutral.

3) People who jump to conclusions before they’re fully playing the game. If you really want to make assumptions about the cast right now, you should be flawless blocking everything that can be flawless blocked. If you’re sitting there taking pressure from characters with sizable gaps and doing nothing about it because you’re dependent on being able to mash armor like it previous games, it’s time to hit the lab.

We still need some time at this point to flesh out the meta and truly play characters and MUs optimally. It’s fine to have a gut feeling that says a character is weak or too strong, but saying you know exactly how to rebalace the cast in Week 2 is silly, and there are several players who I’d think would have enough experience and maturity to know better.

Last edited:

NothingPersonal

Are you not entertained!?
I won't read the op because I'm almost certain it's yet another one of m2d's rant threads. But, yes, I do enjoy the current meta. Footsie are glk, rushdown is manageable, except some characters who do bigger damage than needed and the zoning is not overwhelming even for the characters who are supposed to struggle with it.

kcd117

Noob
I didn’t really like some changes.

First, being able to cancel dashes and backdashes into anything at all times during the animation is dumb. The dash cancels should work just like they worked in the beta, block only and with a specific window. I hate the “micro dash footsies” that we took over the game. Walking was absolutely key in this game’s beta and I loved it. They could have handled the movement buffs way better than this.

The throw 50/50 is just bad. You have to guess between jump in normal and jump in special, then throw or buttons and then you have to guess again between left or right. If they reduced the techable frames by 3 and changed the KBs requirement to trigger when you don't tech a throw or tech late, but made the tech button universal it would be much better.

These are my major problems with the game rn, but I do have other concerns for the future.

A lot of characters have some fuck the neutral teleports. They should all be heavily punishable and never 50/50s, Liu has a 50/50 out of it and Scorpion's is a 50/50 between regular and amplified. Shit like that shouldn't be in the game.

The cancels worry me. Not only some look extremely bad and make absolutely no sense (Erron's slide for example, or Sonya's energy ring) but they are extremely fast and hard to react to if you are not looking for it. Scorpion's tp, Kitana's stance... frame data says they are very negative but idk I'm never seeing them get punished and I think that's for a reason.

Once all moves are in at least one variation we're gonna have a cmd grab galore. I think true cmd grabs should only be given to the true grapplers. Jax, Kano, Geras, Kotal... I can see their design clicking with a cmd grab. But now when you give characters like Liu Kang and Erron Black cmd grabs of their own it becomes a recipe for disaster.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
This is, competitively, the best Mortal Kombat ever made. The flow of the gameplay is great, with a good balance between going ham and being patient. Lots of walking and waiting/being patient followed my moments of intense action.

Right now there are only two things I would change:
1) Having no resource management around Fatal Blows is a bit silly. This thing that you get for free, that does a pile of unbreakable damage and can help some people achieve near-40% unbreakable combos, but you don’t have to save any meter to use, and if you whiff it, you just get it again. Some of them hit at footsie range or beyond. Imo the current state of the fatal blow goes again much of what the meta stands for, which is think, wait your turn, consider the tradeoffs of everything, earn your damage.

2) I like the idea of krushing blows — and most of them are fine. But I think that several of them should be tuned to reward knowledge rather than sheer luck. For example, Sonya doing a third of your lifebar if you make a read on her ring and block/jump the the first one but are hit by the second doesn’t seem to reward any sort of skill. Nor making a wrong read a couple times on Erron diving in with his mixup from half screen. Other than that though, it’s a neat mechanic and I appreciate the ones that you have to work for. D2 is neat since everyone has access to it.

Aside from this, this game is exposing:
1) The people who’ve been spoiled by overtuned zoning. You mean you might have to think when you toss out a projectile, rather than mindlessly tossing things out and meter burning them for mixups on block? You might have to actually play footsies while you zone, like Street Fighter? Shame.. Welcome back to thinking again in MK11 :)

2) People who are used to having shortcuts around dealing with neutral.

3) People who jump to conclusions before they’re fully playing the game. If you really want to make assumptions about the cast right now, you should be flawless blocking everything that can be flawless blocked. If you’re sitting there taking pressure from characters with sizable gaps and doing nothing about it because you’re dependent on being able to mash armor like it previous games, it’s time to hit the lab.

We still need some time at this point to flesh out the meta and truly play characters and MUs optimally. It’s fine to have a gut feeling that says a character is weak or too strong, but saying you know exactly how to rebalace the cast in Week 2 is silly, and there are several players who I’d think would have enough experience and maturity to know better.
I agree with many of your points.

But of course no Crimson Shadow post would be complete without sucking up to NRS and taking a cheap shot at zoning and its players. LOL.

How about offensive-minded players who want 50/50 mix ups and plus strings? They always seem to be excluded from your rants.

No person in this thread has done any re-balancing or suggested any buffs or nerfs. People are simply discussing what they like and dislike about the game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I very much enjoy the meta. I hope custom variation becomes the go-to eventually, but I don't think it's truly necessary. Not just yet. But the game has a lot of points where it feels like NRS has very much learned a lot from past experiences, and many of the new directions are fun IMO.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I agree with many of your points.

But of course no Crimson Shadow post would be complete without sucking up to NRS and taking a cheap shot at zoning and its players. LOL.

How about offensive-minded players who want 50/50 mix ups and plus strings? They always seem to be excluded from your rants.

No person in this thread has done any re-balancing or suggested any buffs or nerfs. People are simply discussing what they like and dislike about the game.
The plus strings are definitely few and far between. But there are a fair amount of 50/50s and mixups leading to smaller damage (or even bigger for some characters) in MK11 -- enough to make the mixup/risky players happy, I'd think.

But yeah, I'd generally put those plus-frame pressure dependent people in the category I mentioned of those who'd rather not play neutral when they can avoid it. So run button into plus frames on cancel was perfect for them in MKX -- but now they have to really hold their turn and be patient to find an opening or a whiff punish.

I seriously think all characters should only get fatal blow ONCE per game. If you waste it you will never get it again. That thing is safe on block for almost everyone and spammable as f***
Edit: and why is Erron's fatal blow a fullscreen 2f projectile-based???

Espio

Kokomo
I definitely agree with the sentiment about fatal blows. I think you should have to also burn two bars of meter and them not regenerate on block or whiff. They'd still be a great tool for potential comebacks especially if you land a combo and confirm into them, it would make them more hype on hit instead of just kind of annoying.

I honestly love the current meta but I would love custom variations to be the way to go.
Other than that I like the pacing of the matches, the mechanics are gold IMO (except some fatal blows... (Erron, Cetrion, Kabal, etc...))
Absolutely should be zero full screen fatal blows. When I play Erron the amount of harassment and foolishness I can get away with because I have a ten frame full screen unbreakable launcher is wild. If you look at me the wrong way you getting blasted. I also hate it versus those two as well because it makes you have to play super gimped and overly cautious and these characters all have strong ways of chipping you out and close out rounds WITHOUT adding the full screen Krushing Blows to the mix.

Grab, grab, grab, grab.

They do 14%!!! 50/50 so even if you read a grab and you guess the wrong way you lose. And it sets you up for a 30% grab?!

Make grabs do like 10% and not a 50/50 and maybe we’ll see other moves in this fucking game.
If you could tech with just the throw button, there would be no reason to also significantly reduce the damage.

I think one or the other is reasonable and proper. Both? That's a bit too much. Throws should be applicable. I think I'd just prefer the 50/50 aspect gone of the two choices though, that's really what the problem is, not the damage.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
I definitely agree with the sentiment about fatal blows. I think you should have to also burn two bars of meter and them not regenerate on block or whiff. They'd still be a great tool for potential comebacks especially if you land a combo and confirm into them, it would make them more hype on hit instead of just kind of annoying.

Absolutely should be zero full screen fatal blows. When I play Erron the amount of harassment and foolishness I can get away with because I have a ten frame full screen unbreakable launcher is wild. If you look at me the wrong way you getting blasted. I also hate it versus those two as well because it makes you have to play super gimped and overly cautious and these characters all have strong ways of chipping you out and close out rounds WITHOUT adding the full screen Krushing Blows to the mix.

If you could tech with just the throw button, there would be no reason to also significantly reduce the damage.

I think one or the other is reasonable and proper. Both? That's a bit too much. Throws should be applicable. I think I'd just prefer the 50/50 aspect gone of the two choices though, that's really what the problem is, not the damage.
I still think 14% is a lot. 3 grabs in 1 round and thats 42%... I think 10-12% is enough. No other MK9, X, Inj 1 or 2 didn’t have throws do that much. Nobody complained about them being weak.

Primiera

Wonderful Woman
Things I dislike:

• d1/d3 into mid meta is a bit too overwhelmingly present. Everyone fucking mashes d1/d2 once you take your turn. If you don't have a quick mid or at the least enough frame advantage to do a slower one, it means fuck all. Someone like, say, Johnny has to deal with this for no reason while someone like Liu Kang blows up mashers without a real justification balance wise in my eyes.
  • I'm not sure why some characters can do amplify mix-ups on block and others can't. I think the emphasis on neutral is great in this game, but then you have Erron Black doing drop kick > shoot mindgames or Scorpion teleport/amplified teleport/fake out mix-ups and so far as I know you can't stop it, you have to guess because they have meter and they're still alive, not the standard of guessing because they have meter and earned the spacing or frame advantage to initiate their mix-up.
  • Game feels a little neutered/basic in some characters for no reason. Bad variation selection on the dev's part, possibly. Kitana in specific doesn't feel like Kitana, she's a string queen now and nothing else. Liu Kang just spams one string with the occasional other string. Most characters just spam their best mid hitconfirm any time you get in range at all. Coming from Tekken, it's surprising how even with a move list so small, usually only 1-2 strings even matter.
  • Throws are a little too good. I actually like really strong throws, SF2 and SF4 were my jam, but here ... I don't know, they feel a bit less fair and ordered? I like the 14% damage but I don't like a 2 way tech guessing game (I cannot tell you how many empty jump > throws I've tried teching and failing ...), and I don't like how some characters like Erron/Baraka/Scorpion/etc have KBs on their throws for seemingly no reason over the characters without. I really feel like at the least there should be one tech button, none of this front/back bullshit.
  • Some characters are too good, though it's much better than any NRS game I've played at launch. Only real issue is it's less about, say, Geras being "too good" and more about "Geras makes it so you shouldn't play other grappler characters cause you'll have more options with him, sorry."
  • Full screen Fatal Blows feel rule breaking and anti-fun. What counter is there truly to Frost or Erron doing their full screens while zoning, other than the fact if they missed they can't retry for X seconds?
Controversial as hell opinion

• I think breakaways are too cheap/frequent. I'd much rather you have to spend offensive meter to do them, AKA a universal meter bar. On some of my characters, I just feel like legitimately 1/3 to 1/2 of my combo launchers get broken, and legitimately there's no counter to them as there would be in some games like Killer Instinct or Bursts in ArcSys games where you can punish them on a read. Here if I Fan Lift or do Jacqui's machine gun kicks or whoever, yeah they'll break out at the first possible second; they know it, I know it, nothing's done about it.
  • I'm mostly okay with the current Fatal Blow situation, minus the full screen Fatals being objectively more useful than close range with no damage penalty. I do think it should be once per round and match, instead of that dumb recharging mechanic, but hey, what can you do?
Things I like:

• Neutral is very fun when playing non-dirty characters! Whiff punishment feels great.
  • Combos have just enough depth to not get stale. There's usually "hard" versions of combos for each character, which may or may not be your BNB in a match but it's a ceiling to shoot for. Krushing Blows also really help this game avoid the NRS problem where you usually see ONE combo route repeated ad nausea and feel like you're bored after just watching one match of them playing.
  • I think stagger pressure is a good solution to over oppressive offense. I don't think in the past it was really fun to get put into blenders of + frames with virtually no means of escape. For NRS, this is a great step forward, even if I get that people complain about the downsides/guess-y nature of staggers on both giving and receiving.
Overall I enjoy this game. I think if they further trimmed the dirt of the top tiers, made throws techable via just the throw command period, removed the recharge on Fatal Blows, and made breakaways punishable in some way ... I think it'd be up there with the best this generation has to offer, if not the best.

Espio

Kokomo
I still think 14% is a lot. 3 grabs in 1 round and thats 42%... I think 10-12% is enough. No other MK9, X, Inj 1 or 2 didn’t have throws do that much. Nobody complained about them being weak.
Without the 50/50 aspect, you're not going to be eating them like you are now though is the thing. There's less crazy combos in this game in comparison to the other games too so it's not the same deal.

They wouldn't be weak at 12%, but the 50/50 removal would be a significant nerf alone.

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
Without the 50/50 aspect, you're not going to be eating them like you are now though is the thing. There's less crazy combos in this game in comparison to the other games too so it's not the same deal.

They wouldn't be weak at 12%, but the 50/50 removal would be a significant nerf alone.
That’s true, but throws are still hard to react to. You won’t get hit by 5 per round like we are now, but they will still be strong with lack of mix ups. 14% is high.

The less crazy combos are compensated for with KB. Not every hit is turning into 34+% like in MKX, but with crushing blows that damage becomes available. With throws doing 14% too, they may as well have combos doing crazy damage.

NeonGroovyGator

Vampire mommy simp
One thing that potentially worries me about the game is how flawless blocking is going to evolve. Sure, any mechanic that rewards skill should be good, but I'm afraid this will end up punishing proactive players way too much and overly rewarding a reactive playstyle. Nothing wrong with a solid defensive game, but overly punishing proactive plays usually isn't a good thing in competitive games, and makes the gameplay way too slow and stale.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I seriously think all characters should only get fatal blow ONCE per game. If you waste it you will never get it again. That thing is safe on block for almost everyone and spammable as f***
Edit: and why is Erron's fatal blow a fullscreen 2f projectile-based???
I think all fatal blows are unsafe on block. If you crouch Erron Black's fatal blow, he cannot block for half a second. All forward advancing special moves can punish. From my limited testing, a couple can even punish anywhere on the screen such as Kabal's nomad dash, Noob's tele-slam, and Scorpion's teleport. Kabal's and Noob's punishing is a lot more difficult to execute than Scorpion's, though.

I like the throws in this game. The majority of characters have no access to mix ups outside of them. I think they should remain the way they are.

God no, that’s one of the reasons I hate MvC and most other team fighters, the damage is so damn gimped compared to the scale of your actual combos that it feels unsatisfying most of the time
Let me re-phrase, I wish the combos were the same length as MK9 / MKX. I’m simply saying that if they kept the damage output at its current rate but with the combo length of the old games, you would kill someone in one combos. I would rather see longer combos working for damage than 2 buttons - Amp Special - 2 buttons - Ender doing 35 -40 percent.

I still enjoy the game, I just feel like it’s way to easy to get big damage off of relatively simple combos, but I know they are going for more footsie / whiff punish style where it’s a bigger risk to press that first button.

It’s just a preference.